Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 93. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
That said, it's not an elegant solution.  I believe a firmware refactor could provide us a solution that will make power events less volatile, but that's (generally) in the hands of the BM devs.
You are welcome , but hell no , UPS is not a solution.

Sure it is, power events can be scripted--I was editing my response when you posted, but Google has the hook up: https://www.google.com/search?q=using+a+UPS+power+events+to+trigger+a+script
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
You are welcome , but hell no , UPS is not a solution.
Exactly, what is the solution to that?

Uh, a UPS?  I thought that part was slightly less technical, my apologies!

Try here: https://www.google.com/search?q=using+a+UPS+power+events+to+trigger+a+script
Exactly, what is the solution to that?
Activity: 742

SSH into the box and issue the "shutdown -h now" command at the prompt before flipping the switch on the PSU.  I've power cycled my S2 a millionty times this way with zero corruption.

SSH user is root, and the password is admin.  You can use PuTTY in windows (for free) or the terminal in OSX or Linux with the "ssh [email protected]" to connect.

That is good advice, but it doesn't help much when the power goes off unexpectedly.
I returned home earlier to find the power off - the meter ran out!

My S2 wouldn't restart (I did turn the switch off before putting the power back on!), just the blue screen and the fans spinning.

Stole an 8GB Micro SD card from my kids MP3 player (oops!) and installed the software on it.

Now back up and running :-)

Simple - although it took ages to find a Micro SD card!!  I did back up all his songs (there weren't many on it) first and have ordered a replacement for him off ebay.

Now rewriting the image to the original 2GB SD card hopefully as a spare.

So basically it doesn't even need to be a power surge, just a break in the power can corrupt the SD so I guess even turning the machine off from it's switch could as well.  Is there a safer way?

Thanks to those on here for the downloadable and the instructions/links, which were on page 86 of this thread.

SSH into the box and issue the "shutdown -h now" command at the prompt before flipping the switch on the PSU.  I've power cycled my S2 a millionty times this way with zero corruption.

SSH user is root, and the password is admin.  You can use PuTTY in windows (for free) or the terminal in OSX or Linux with the "ssh [email protected]" to connect.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
I returned home earlier to find the power off - the meter ran out!

My S2 wouldn't restart (I did turn the switch off before putting the power back on!), just the blue screen and the fans spinning.

Stole an 8GB Micro SD card from my kids MP3 player (oops!) and installed the software on it.

Now back up and running :-)

Simple - although it took ages to find a Micro SD card!!  I did back up all his songs (there weren't many on it) first and have ordered a replacement for him off ebay.

Now rewriting the image to the original 2GB SD card hopefully as a spare.

So basically it doesn't even need to be a power surge, just a break in the power can corrupt the SD so I guess even turning the machine off from it's switch could as well.  Is there a safer way?

Thanks to those on here for the downloadable and the instructions/links, which were on page 86 of this thread.
Activity: 1
My S2 stopped working sometime in the middle of the night. I've had only minimal time to look at it thus far. I was told that it had started beeping and then was power cycled. When I arrived fans were on high as they are during initial power cycle, LCD screen was blue without any readout.

Anyone has an idea on what's going on? I only had enough time to get the cover off and checked board + connections. I wasn't able to login as the IP didn't show up on the network.

I pulled out the micoSD to inspect later tonight. Are these symptoms similar to those of people who have had microSD cards corrupting? It's a batch 2 unit and this is the first problem I've encountered.

Thx for any insight.

Bitmain, now that you are online can you please let us know why caps need to be soldered to S2 blades. Do all S2's need to have this done and if it isn't done what are the repercussions?

Is this a suitable part ? Its 820 uf, 2.5v, 20%

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/RL80E821MDN1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsIwzbKW1rlgUIs0B55SsapP56UQKtTY5k%3d

Any info from Bitmain about this would be greatly appreciated. There is obviously a problem, let your customers know so they can make an informed decision.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures

Bitmain, now that you are online can you please let us know why caps need to be soldered to S2 blades. Do all S2's need to have this done and if it isn't done what are the repercussions?

Is this a suitable part ? Its 820 uf, 2.5v, 20%

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/RL80E821MDN1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsIwzbKW1rlgUIs0B55SsapP56UQKtTY5k%3d
New price for AntMiner S2 1 TH/s Miner Batch 4: 2319 USD each one, shipping cost included.
Activity: 741
Merit: 514
https://www.bitmain.com
New price for AntMiner S2 1 TH/s Miner Batch 4: 2319 USD each one, shipping cost included.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
"Computer Game Gateway" ?

I thought that was a very apt and insightful description of a bitcoin miner !
Activity: 52
I have still have 5 S2 coupons and 5 S1 coupons available for donation.

Just PM me here!

Thanks,

~Girard
Am I the only one who's noticed the new PDF on Bitmaintech's website with step-by-step instructions on how to solder capacitors directly to each hashing board....

"Guideline for soldering Capacitors to S2 hash board to fix chip disabling issue"

eek.... happy long weekend to me...

That sucks Sad.
Factory defect on this batch or engineering oversight? How many blades are in an S2? 4 caps per blade need to be added if I understand correct?
This has scared me away from buying a S2 until Bitmaintech can comment on what the actual problem is.
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
how much the price declared by bitmain for custom purpose ?
and what is the description ?
is it still like S1 which is "Computer Game Gateway" ?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
so according to this formula;

my 1000w S2 divided by 230V = 4.347A

or more accurately 1040W / 230V = 4.521A

so 1040W / 240V = 4.333A

three different Amp readings from 1 S2 using different Voltage...

That's pretty much how math works there buds.
Activity: 102
Merit: 10
One S2 draws about 1000 watts, so 1000w / 115 volts = 8.7 amps.  So yes, a single 15 amp circuit can run one S2, but be careful what else is on that circuit... most household circuits have other outlets on them.

208v is better.  240 is better still.  the closer to 250v, the better, i believe.

Thanks alot!
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Maybe half the chips are disabled, and this + a 2nd PSU is part of bitmains post about being able to OC each S2 to 1.8-2Thash cheaply?

No.
Pages:
Jump to: