Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 115. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
.... I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.

Should not be that hard to fabricate on your own .... just need to find out what thickness of the copper slab to get, slice some slots / channels in it and then split a few copper tubes to for the fins that are slid into the slots. All you are left to do is drilling tapped holes for attaching the PCB. I wonder how cost efficient it would be though for just a handful of units ..... ?

Doesn't sound that easy to me. Unless you have a machine shop and all the tools necessary as well as the skills to do properly. Grin

Ofcourse, you need tools (that's a no-brainer) ... a dremel would be a good start .... but definitely not a task to be undertaken by feeble minded at DIY. But like I said, not that hard (does not mean it is easy!)
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

What's the minimum per fan CFM on a 2x fan setup?

I'm able to run at a frequency of 250M hashing almost 800GH/s with two old PSU fans. These fans can't be more than 20 CFM each. This thing seems stable just below 50 deg.

If you want to run it at default freq (350) you need minimum 200 cfm in my opinion.
Something like 2 120 cfm fan using a push pull setup should work.

Be sure to be below 60 on each blade.

Just took a ruler to an Arctic Freezer i30 and the fan screw spacing looks good.  I have two sitting here.  I'll be moving one to my S5 unless someone can tell me why it would be a mistake.

I see a few pages back someone suggested an Arctic Cooler fan but someone said it doesn't move enough air.  So, putting a lower CFM fan as pull would degrade over no pull fan at all?
Activity: 672
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....
.... I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.

Should not be that hard to fabricate on your own .... just need to find out what thickness of the copper slab to get, slice some slots / channels in it and then split a few copper tubes to for the fins that are slid into the slots. All you are left to do is drilling tapped holes for attaching the PCB. I wonder how cost efficient it would be though for just a handful of units ..... ?

Doesn't sound that easy to me. Unless you have a machine shop and all the tools necessary as well as the skills to do properly. Grin
.... I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.

Activity: 26
Merit: 0
I see that you guys have the "newer" heatsink. I was given the heatsink similar to the S3s.

Interesting, this is the 1st time ive seen that heatsink.  i have 4 s5's with the older style.  Has anyone compared the temp at higher clockrates with the new heatsink??

Thanks

I have a new one.  Here are some stats. 

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7616/17015455081_c7c82ab61f_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7641/17015455251_b4133a1c09_b.jpg

Here are some of the stats.

mine has the s3 style heatsinks.. here is my temp
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8739/16394045214_35eeb78f4d_b.jpg

So it looks like the newer heat sink is less efficient at dissipating heat?   It looks like the newer version has less/thicker fins.. I hate the quality of the s3 style fins,  But hey they seem to work great,  I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
The S5 are running great and so I've moved them to CGminer 4.90 and 312.5MHz.  The highest reported temp is 57C with an S3 push fan and no pull (ambient ~72F, fan rpm 3240).  Am intending to try the FHP141 as a pull.
My final two S5 shipped Friday and would have arrived Monday, but somehow, the UPS driver screwed up the delivery and a different driver completed Tuesday -- bummer on the whole day delay, lost some good WestHash payout Sad!!!

Have received two each by USPS EMS, Fedex, UPS, and all would have been "two day" delivery (excluding Sunday and the UPS SNAFU), lowest shipping cost was EMS via DHgate back in January.  The latest two (with S3 push fans) are setup side by side on the floor of my coolest room running 312.5MHz and temps 47/42 and 43/40 (top temp was 59 Vs 52 at 350MHz over a 2-1/2 hr check out). That first consistently runs by far the highest temp and fan speed of my three pair and makes me consider the heat sink paste mod described earlier** (currently 2760 Vs 2160 rpm) -- it also had pre-damaged Phillips head screws by whatever gorilla installed and warped the plastic side panels (since loosened).  Am expecting to give Silverstone FHP141 pull fans a try this coming weekend.

Thanks again Bitmain for the timely ordering assistance (Janet/Tim) and quick turnaround of the order -- here's looking forward to learning about the next generation!

**https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=902305.msg10926267#msg10926267
Three Silverstone FHP141 fans arrived Thursday and I took before and after temp and fan readings.  The temp reduction I'm seeing on three S5 (w/ S3 push fans) is only on the order of 1C at 312.5MHz, but may be more noticeable at 350.  Will look at that more when the next batch of three fans arrive.  Between 312.5 and 350MHz, both fans appear to pick up roughly 120rpm, approximate norm being 3240/1560 -- current 350MHz temps being 56/54 and 54/53, aprox ambient measuring 72F(22.2C) a couple feet from the miner intakes.

My max temp reduction results from running the same fan (S3) for both push and pull, but that hugely increases the noise. S3 push only gives just the sound of blowing air, adding the FHP141 reduces the air noise, but adds a distinct hum.  I got the following stable results @312.5MHz (one individual S5):

Code:
test case      temp   fan
S3 push only  58/52  3240
plus FHP141   57/55  3240/1680
S3 push/pull  54/53  3000/2880

Subjectively, the quietest case is the S3/FHP141 combo, the by far loudest is the S3/S3 combo, though the stock S5 is easily louder yet.  I'd say the S3 push only works pretty well (depending on clock and ambient temp) and the FHP141 may be worth trying, but there is some hum.

PS -- Appears the Silverstone FHP141 is indeed a PWM fan, wasn't at all clear to me from the manufacturer's description.
Damn... Shipping cost for 1 S5 (to Russia) via EMS became

129.613 USD.

Who is crazy - Bitmain or EMS?.......  Undecided

Due to the large quantity of shipments abroad, customs request us to do official customs clearance before exporting. Current shipping cost provided in our website has included the handling fee charged by EMS.
Thanks for your understanding.

That would be nice if they include the VAT / import duty payments and the courier charges in the shipping cost to the UK, so all we are left with is signing for the item on delivery.

PS. Where did you see that quotation?
Activity: 672

129.613 USD.

Who is crazy - Bitmain or EMS?.......  Undecided

Due to the large quantity of shipments abroad, customs request us to do official customs clearance before exporting. Current shipping cost provided in our website has included the handling fee charged by EMS.
Thanks for your understanding.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
Guys, please stop this off-top.

Moreover, it's a bit stupid kind of jokes.

p.s. I am not Putin's fan at all, but...
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
[...] Puton [...]

Dunno if funky typo or hispanic joking about Putin  Wink

Well,he could have called him "puta"  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners
[...] Puton [...]

Dunno if funky typo or hispanic joking about Putin  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader

129.613 USD.

Who is crazy - Bitmain or EMS?.......  Undecided

Puton, wants his cut in customs since the economy is in the sinker.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant

129.613 USD.

Who is crazy - Bitmain or EMS?.......  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
I see that you guys have the "newer" heatsink. I was given the heatsink similar to the S3s.

Interesting, this is the 1st time ive seen that heatsink.  i have 4 s5's with the older style.  Has anyone compared the temp at higher clockrates with the new heatsink??

Thanks

mine has the s3 style heatsinks.. here is my temp
Activity: 818
Merit: 508

Thanks

legendary
Please wait for the official announcement

Could you please tell us when you plan to make an announcement about new miners and when you plan to announce upgrade kits?

i bet probably not before june..
they woudlnt want people to wait and not buy their last batch of s5s.
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
Please wait for the official announcement

Could you please tell us when you plan to make an announcement about new miners and when you plan to announce upgrade kits?
legendary
After speaking with an expert the following fans are in stock:

"NF-P12 PWM" $19.09 USD each.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=43&lng=en

At 70 CFM each two of these should work to keep it under 50 deg at stock frequency (350M) or higher.
$38.18 total.

I've also come up with two budget options:

Dual Cooler Master:
"Cooler Master Blade Master 120 Black 120mm PWM Case Fan 600-2000RPM 21.2-76.8CFM / R4-BMBS-20PK-R0" $11.91 USD each.
$23.82 total.

Cooler Master / Arctic Cooling combo:
"Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 Pro PWM 120mm Fan 400-1500RPM 57CFM FDB / AFACO-12PP0-GBA01" $4.77 USD each (can only push air due to design limitations).
$16.68 total.

not sure 70cfm is enough..

i was thinking maybe a couple of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103193

i have these in my case and i can for sure tell you they flow a lot of air.. they dont have a high pitch whine to them either.
or maybe these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835132026

im going to wait till summer time tho to mess with the fans.. i dont want to void the warranty.

this would probably be a good pull fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220056

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

Thanks
Jump to: