Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 20. (Read 450939 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Thanks for posting that I did not know of that revision.  I was thinking something different.

The odd lock of many screws being different and look made me thing it was possibly a mod - https://i.imgur.com/v2poeaL.jpg?1 .  But appears just a mess of different screws no fun story I guess then.

Looking at the picture L1 on the 14 Step up Converter (Top Right Corner) looks very displaced from it's pads. Would be worth checking that there is 14V coming from it? You can measure between Ground and the bottom end of R213.

Rich
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Finally yesterday I received the pcb I bought from Tupsu, mounted the same yesterday, functioning whole,.
this morning and burned another pcb for another miner, with platinum psu 1200w,.

I just got tired, of Bitcoin, and his bitmain of shoddy products.
even with normal frequency, temperature below 50 ° C and burned in the same?
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
I think you are right I wish we had the story behind it.  As far as I know it's kinda a one of a kind.  I have never seen 2 screws like that.  I am still wondering if somehow a RMA did it for something, or maybe someone used it for some mod and needed different positions.   Would be interesting to know.

Double holes have been a feature since the S1. In S1 & S3 screws without springs are fitted to both. The S5 added springs and the first Rev had two srews fitted, later versions just fitted one screw where there are pairs. V1.9 onwards the PCB layout dropped the second hole. See this post fr some pictures of the S5 Hash Board revs.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12164839

Rich

I see, and for reference, that board is V1.5.

I think the chips are probably still in working condition and after all if i could figure out whats wrong with the board, why its not getting powered, it would probably be easy to fix, its probably just a dead one little thing that could be replaced.

Repairing this would probably take time from someone that has proper expertise that probably has something better to do than spend hours testing one thing one by one. Sidehack said trying to fix it could be in the realm of possibilities.

So maybe i will do that, get it fixed and if its not fixable, strip it for part and put the chip toward his 8(?) chip design.
legendary
Activity: 1456
I think you are right I wish we had the story behind it.  As far as I know it's kinda a one of a kind.  I have never seen 2 screws like that.  I am still wondering if somehow a RMA did it for something, or maybe someone used it for some mod and needed different positions.   Would be interesting to know.

Double holes have been a feature since the S1. In S1 & S3 screws without springs are fitted to both. The S5 added springs and the first Rev had two srews fitted, later versions just fitted one screw where there are pairs. V1.9 onwards the PCB layout dropped the second hole. See this post fr some pictures of the S5 Hash Board revs.

Rich

Thanks for posting that I did not know of that revision.  I was thinking something different.

The odd lock of many screws being different and look made me thing it was possibly a mod - https://i.imgur.com/v2poeaL.jpg?1 .  But appears just a mess of different screws no fun story I guess then.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1274
You have one unique board.  I have never seen the double screw in previous post.  It is interesting though.  Was a blade sent into bitmain and that blade sent back?   Just curious if bitmain employee did it or odd batch.

But the paste looks pretty bad.  I would get some cleaner/purifier if you want to do it right.  And clean all the chips get the old stuff off.  Then put on a light covering on entire chip should see paste on all of chip.  

The nice thing with some of the pastes above is you would get multiple trys with the tubs vs the higher priced stuff. So for troubleshooting on thermal paste I would go for the tub with quite a bit of quantity of it.

I think i'm the 3rd owner. Or either way i'm missing a good portion of the story. I just know it was long and annoying and in vain.

The working board has double hole as well, with the default screws+string however. The miner was sent to Bitmain from the last owner, which received the unit back with the defective blade still, and missing the metal bracket that hold the controller in place.

I think he mentioned it working at first for a bit but then dropping after some amount of minutes. He might of tried to fix it and eventually it just died for whatever reason.

It still doesn't work so no point in repasting it. If i can't fix it, it will probably be used as some sort of payment/support to Sidehack.

And you chances are on right track.  If sidehack can get some chips off it might be a good deal for both sides.

really, i have one or two S5 with double holes in the boards i bought direct form bitmain 18 pin, i can take pic if you want and the two 16 pin boards i sent to sidehack had double holes .
16 pin boards were batch 1 mostly i think .
legendary
You have one unique board.  I have never seen the double screw in previous post.  It is interesting though.  Was a blade sent into bitmain and that blade sent back?   Just curious if bitmain employee did it or odd batch.

But the paste looks pretty bad.  I would get some cleaner/purifier if you want to do it right.  And clean all the chips get the old stuff off.  Then put on a light covering on entire chip should see paste on all of chip.  

The nice thing with some of the pastes above is you would get multiple trys with the tubs vs the higher priced stuff. So for troubleshooting on thermal paste I would go for the tub with quite a bit of quantity of it.

I think i'm the 3rd owner. Or either way i'm missing a good portion of the story. I just know it was long and annoying and in vain.

The working board has double hole as well, with the default screws+string however. The miner was sent to Bitmain from the last owner, which received the unit back with the defective blade still, and missing the metal bracket that hold the controller in place.

I think he mentioned it working at first for a bit but then dropping after some amount of minutes. He might of tried to fix it and eventually it just died for whatever reason.

It still doesn't work so no point in repasting it. If i can't fix it, it will probably be used as some sort of payment/support to Sidehack.

I think you are right I wish we had the story behind it.  As far as I know it's kinda a one of a kind.  I have never seen 2 screws like that.  I am still wondering if somehow a RMA did it for something, or maybe someone used it for some mod and needed different positions.   Would be interesting to know.

And you chances are on right track.  If sidehack can get some chips off it might be a good deal for both sides.
legendary

Do you have a less primitive mean to try to repair it than an oven? It was the only suggestion made to revive a board that i have no real use of unless it can work. If i can't revive i'll probably ship it to sidehack and thats that.

Doing this does not seem like it could damage the chips, so anything goes.

I'm very interested in any other suggestion pertaining to this.

All the other options require expensive equipment and a lot of time.  My friend has equipment for repairing,
but he does not have time for this.

The question is why the previous owner  took it off for the first time?
Why does he use the wrong screws without springs ? With the greater pressure on the blade  and ships with wrong screws,  he got it to work or not?  Did he get the blade to work 100% ?

It was not working, was sent to Bitmain and was returned with parts missing and the blade still not working. He messed around with it after that and did not manage to make it work. It is possible that it was a simple issue and was made worse.

Regardless i do not have many options to try to make it work and as i have pretty much paid nothing for it, i can only improve the situation by messing with it further. As long as i do not break the chips that could be salvaged, i don't see any issue whatsoever.

Edit i would like to add for clarity, this is what happen when i run it alone on a controller;

https://i.imgur.com/Cs5VMor.png?1

When ran with a working blade, it instead show ------------------------------------- for the ships instead of ooooooooooooooooooooooooo... etc.

question does the lite on  the board lite at all , it going  to keep showing all zero with one controller it still sees it but for some reason a power or some thing like it on the board won't work or let it connect which can be a bad solider or it needs to be remelted etc which is why  reflowing might work or it can just be gone,the chips may be ok just the power line part is bad, i don't even know how to fix that unless you know some one like he said with the right gear and time . reflowing is all ways a last resort and cost nothing and might even work . I sent two S5 boards to some one after I reflowed them he told he got one working so far , so reflowing it won't shouldn't hurt the chips unless you leave it in there to long and i did it as a last resort.

No light, no voltage. Dead. The reflow did not work. I tried 180c 6 minutes then 190c 10 minutes but my oven must of went a bit higher since my laser thermometer went to 205c.

Still no difference. Its like its properly connected, but is not powered. Pretty sure thats what it shows when you have a board plugged thats not powered from memory but can't go test it.

Okay so heres a picture of the board, this thing has way too many screws;
https://i.imgur.com/v2poeaL.jpg?1

1)Should this side be up or down? I wouldn't want stuff falling off if it become lose when the solder is melted! xD

2)Also this is kind of smudgey, could this cause any issues?;

https://i.imgur.com/qmND3gO.jpg?1

And for the record, here is a picture of the previous pasting job;

https://i.imgur.com/yJiHMZ7.jpg?1

Time to start cleaning.

Did you get that miner  used ? Too many screws . Wrong black screws and self-drilled holes in blade.
You have been scammed by seller this miner.

Yea he right they should all be sliver with springs on all of them. The screw hole look ok . just some screws don't .just looked at my S5 that came direct from bitmain it has the same holes with all silver screws with springs on every screw.

legendary
I only offered that option of reflowing because no one else did or was offering any idea if you had got a lot more help i don't think i would have ever said a thing . Smiley.
legendary

1)Should this side be up or down? I wouldn't want stuff falling off if it become lose when the solder is melted! xD

Time to start cleaning.

Did you get that miner  used ? Too many screws . Wrong black screws and self-drilled holes in blade.

Yea he right they should all be sliver with springs on all of them. The screw hole look ok . just some screws don't .just looked at my S5 that came direct from bitmain it has the same holes with all silver screws with springs on every screw.

You have one unique board.  I have never seen the double screw in previous post.  It is interesting though.  Was a blade sent into bitmain and that blade sent back?   Just curious if bitmain employee did it or odd batch.

But the paste looks pretty bad.  I would get some cleaner/purifier if you want to do it right.  And clean all the chips get the old stuff off.  Then put on a light covering on entire chip should see paste on all of chip.   

legendary

Do you have a less primitive mean to try to repair it than an oven? It was the only suggestion made to revive a board that i have no real use of unless it can work. If i can't revive i'll probably ship it to sidehack and thats that.

All the other options require expensive equipment and a lot of time.  My friend has equipment for repairing,

Why does he use the wrong screws without springs ? With the greater pressure on the blade  and ships with wrong screws,  he got it to work or not?  Did he get the blade to work 100% ?

It was not working, was sent to Bitmain and was returned with parts missing and the blade still not working. He messed around with it after that and did not manage to make it work. It is possible that it was a simple issue and was made worse.

Regardless i do not have many options to try to make it work and as i have pretty much paid nothing for it, i can only improve the situation by messing with it further. As long as i do not break the chips that could be salvaged, i don't see any issue whatsoever.

Edit i would like to add for clarity, this is what happen when i run it alone on a controller;

When ran with a working blade, it instead show ------------------------------------- for the ships instead of ooooooooooooooooooooooooo... etc.

question does the lite on  the board lite at all , it going  to keep showing all zero with one controller it still sees it but for some reason a power or some thing like it on the board won't work or let it connect which can be a bad solider or it needs to be remelted etc which is why  reflowing might work or it can just be gone,the chips may be ok just the power line part is bad, i don't even know how to fix that unless you know some one like he said with the right gear and time . reflowing is all ways a last resort and cost nothing and might even work . I sent two S5 boards to some one after I reflowed them he told he got one working so far , so reflowing it won't shouldn't hurt the chips unless you leave it in there to long and i did it as a last resort.
legendary

Time to start cleaning.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

All the other options require expensive equipment and a lot of time.  My friend has equipment for repairing,

The question is why the previous owner  took it off for the first time?
Why does he use the wrong screws without springs ? With the greater pressure on the blade  and ships with wrong screws,  he got it to work or not?  Did he get the blade to work 100% ?
legendary

Yes. Yes. The holes don't look self drilled, they all have the factory groove in it. I didn't pay for this blade, i only paid for the rest of the miner, so i don't see how i have been scammed.

Always finds something new. For the first time I see bouble holes in the S5. But they are probably factory made.

If you got a free blade, then why try to fix it so primitive means such as an oven ?

legendary

Yes. Yes. The holes don't look self drilled, they all have the factory groove in it. I didn't pay for this blade, i only paid for the rest of the miner, so i don't see how i have been scammed.

Always finds something new. For the first time I see double holes in the S5. But they are probably factory made.

If you got a free blade, then why try to fix it so primitive means such as an oven ?

legendary

Time to start cleaning.

Did you get that miner  used ? Too many screws . Wrong black screws and self-drilled holes in blade.

legendary

Time to start cleaning.

Did you get that miner  used ? Too many screws . Wrong black screws and self-drilled holes in blade.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

Time to start cleaning.

That's an excessive amount of thermal paste, 'suppose to bush on a thin layer. Better than not enough though.

Wash all that crap off (PCBs are water proof. You can scrub and hose it off with soap and water. They use a dishwasher in the factory on completed boards Cheesy) and give us a good shot of the whole board. Maybe we can see the problem.
legendary

Time to start cleaning.
Pages:
Jump to: