Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 22. (Read 450939 times)

legendary
Activity: 2478
Merit: 2151
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins

Be careful with F or C. One will have your chips sitting in a pile in the bottom of the oven.

Pretty sure thats in F. But i'd still like more information on this. I'm not going to slap my S5 blade in an oven because someone told me to before properly understanding the risk even though i understand the concept.

Yep. Solder melts at 180-190C.

What you're doing here is if there are any stress-fractures in the solder which are causing issues, you are hoping the solder will melt just a little and reform a good joint. It's not a great way to do it but it's cheap.

Personally I would first inspect all solder joints with a magnifying glass. These joints can sometimes be seen. Additionally, it looks like most of the joints are accessible so you possibly could attempt this with just a soldering iron.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical given that the chips are reporting good but I don't know enough to speak with confidence and someone else is reporting that the reflow worked for him. If nothing else seems to help though...

Edit: Just went back and saw it reported --- when run in tandem so I'm no longer very skeptical.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

Be careful with F or C. One will have your chips sitting in a pile in the bottom of the oven.

Pretty sure thats in F. But i'd still like more information on this. I'm not going to slap my S5 blade in an oven because someone told me to before properly understanding the risk even though i understand the concept.
legendary
Activity: 2478
Merit: 2151
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

legendary
So i now have a dead PCB, when plugged and the miner otherwise running, the chip will return ------------------------------- and the voltage across the board is 0. When ran alone it will report oooooooooooooooooooooooooo but won't hash anyways.

Any thoughts? Any thing that can be easily checked to know if the board is salvageable?

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

I've used the range to repair my router in the past, cooking a populated PCBs sure stinks like hell!

I would hope he looks that up first to if hes gonna try it and not do it in a oven he cooks his food in . go buy a cheap toaster oven.

here is more on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering

you all most do the same thing making a PCB board .it called Reflow Soldering, had to find out what it is called .

how to

http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/

It can work and did for me on one of my S5 some time ago but that S5 has sense gone up because i did some really stupid stuff to it that made the hash boards beyond repair other then having it thorn a part and fixed that way .

Preheat the oven first that's a must DO, don't do what i did, stick it in while it preheated .

I really did not expect this as a troubleshoot. I'd be inclined to try it, reviving it is probably worth more than anything i can get for it. And hopefully this won't damage the chips?

I do have a mini oven but i'm not sure i can trust the meter. If i do it in my main oven and slap a fan in it for a day or two to air it up, would it be fine?

Also the link http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/ is dead to me, does someone else has a trustable guide for doing this?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
So i now have a dead PCB, when plugged and the miner otherwise running, the chip will return ------------------------------- and the voltage across the board is 0. When ran alone it will report oooooooooooooooooooooooooo but won't hash anyways.

Any thoughts? Any thing that can be easily checked to know if the board is salvageable?

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

I've used the range to repair my router in the past, cooking a populated PCBs sure stinks like hell!

I would hope he looks that up first to if hes gonna try it and not do it in a oven he cooks his food in . go buy a cheap toaster oven.

here is more on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering

you all most do the same thing making a PCB board .it called Reflow Soldering, had to find out what it is called .

how to

http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/

It can work and did for me on one of my S5 some time ago but that S5 has sense gone up because i did some really stupid stuff to it that made the hash boards beyond repair other then having it thorn a part and fixed that way .

Preheat the oven first that's a must DO, don't do what i did, stick it in while it preheated .
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,

legendary

There is something you  can try but may need a oven and bake it at 350 degree for 5 mins then let it set with the door open  till it cools off  that worked for one of my S5 that was reporting the same thing . it's worth a try if it's not working now, other wise it may have gone bad . There was a post in German  once that explained what it may be with one of the little grays things near the PCIE plug that may need to be placed,
legendary
I see some one updated one of  Smity firmware on nicehashs ftp in Aug for the may firmware bitmain release , i do renumber that link at one time having a version from  Jan's software with CG 4.9 .
look like all that did was add nano_editor_performance_graph support to a more up to date firmware, some one asked for a while back .

http:// your miner IP/cgi-bin/graph.rrd  use that to check, if. you install it, i did .

http://smit1237.asuscomm.com:8080/S5_experimental/

BFG has a working version for the S5 right now, that looks like once it goes live will fix a lot of stuff bitmain won't ever do , i have tested it and it works but has issue like luke says, it's there for testing and feedback but does work and works better even in it's state now then any of bitmains CG releases .

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12567856

were still waiting for kanoi CG improvement version for the S5.

https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries
legendary

legendary
If you could pastebin a copy of it that would be great.  Thanks.

cgminer.sh right? Here is mine;
http://pastebin.com/DpX8sY7f

The param's section that i used before and messed my stuff up on S3;

PARAMS="--bitmain-dev /dev/bitmain-asic --bitmain-options 115200:32:8:$timeout:$chip_value:$freq_value:0725 --bitmain-checkn2diff --bitmain-hwerror --version-file /usr/bin/compile_time --queue $queue_value"
   echo PARAMS = $PARAMS
   start-stop-daemon -b -S -x screen -- -S cgminer -t cgminer -m -d "$DAEMON" $PARAMS --api-listen --default-config /config/cgminer.conf
Activity: 142
Merit: 60
If you could pastebin a copy of it that would be great.  Thanks.
legendary
I've tried it off then I tried it on.  It beeped for awhile but never reset.

I've heard people report similar atrocious problem appearing when turning on load balance on this miner and the S3 as well. Not sure about others. Regardless, i believe you would need to put back the launch config back to default. Either use a copy or some such. Maybe i could pastebin mine for you?

Otherwise you might have to flash the sd card but strangely enough, there does not seem to be one in the S5 by default?
I've tried it off then I tried it on.  It beeped for awhile but never reset.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Paperclip should work but the button is often offset from the hole so make certain you are actually fully pressing the button. Hold in for 10 seconds.

Rich
How do I do a hard reset?  I tried the paperclip but it didn't work.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Sounds like something got messed up during the SSH edit process? I would do a hard reset to get back to defaults and take it from there.

Rich
I can no longer change pools in my Antminer S5.  When I input the change on the miner configuration page, it will hash anywhere between 2-12 hours before it simply stops hashing (fan is still running, lights are still going but miner is DOA at pools and also unresponsive by IP address).  Then I have to manually reboot with the power supply and the miner boots back up to the old pools before I had changed it.  I've tried factory resetting twice with the paperclip, yet still has these old pools in the config.

I'm not sure if this is related but this seems to have happened after I SSHd into the S5 and turned on Load Balance.  Since load balance had low hashrate, I switched back to failover.  Then I noticed this problem, I'm not sure if this caused it or if it was a pre-existing problem, that was just noticed at the same time because I changed the pool after I changed it back to failover.

Any ideas on how to change the pool settings so it sticks and/or just factory reset the device?
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
***Sorry guys I posted this in the S+ thread instead of here.***

Just received my new beaglebone ... i'm having 4 green light and 1 red on the daughter board .. still no power on the beaglebone ...

anyone has a troubleshoot HOWTO on the daughter board ?

Hard to believe I have receive a DNA from Bitmain :/ (I'm pretty sure the BBB is good)

How much you paid for BBB with shipping ?

Like 60$ + custom
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

Just received my new beaglebone ... i'm having 4 green light and 1 red on the daughter board .. still no power on the beaglebone ...

Hard to believe I have receive a DNA from Bitmain :/ (I'm pretty sure the BBB is good)

How much you paid for BBB with shipping ?
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

Pages:
Jump to: