Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 214. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

Bowing side panel at Dr.Miner's photo as reported in some other post earlier.

I bought miners from DHgate + EMS and I get a lot of tracking info but they don't match situation with Customs office and mail service at my home country.
DHgate and EMS tracking have also different info.

I'm in the US, ordered from Bitmain directly, and used EMS because it was the cheapest option. I'm not aware of an EMS anywhere near me, but I figured they might just hand it off to another company, and I took my chances anyway. The results were amazing!

Bitmain shipped through UPS because it was cheaper for them. I had B4, scheduled to ship Jan. 12th. The night of the 12th I was able to see that my packages were at the Chinese customs via searching the reference number on UPS. The packages arrived in my town on the morning of the 14th. It took less then 2 days. I was amazed.
[/quote]

Just for your information, EMS is known as Express Mail Service in the USA and delivered by USPS. One advantage of EMS is that they deliver on weekends and holidays. The downside is the customs fees can sometimes be higher than courier services such as UPS depending on the country delivered to.
Activity: 119
Merit: 10

I bought miners from DHgate + EMS and I get a lot of tracking info but they don't match situation with Customs office and mail service at my home country.
[/quote]

I'm in the US, ordered from Bitmain directly, and used EMS because it was the cheapest option. I'm not aware of an EMS anywhere near me, but I figured they might just hand it off to another company, and I took my chances anyway. The results were amazing!

Bitmain shipped through UPS because it was cheaper for them. I had B4, scheduled to ship Jan. 12th. The night of the 12th I was able to see that my packages were at the Chinese customs via searching the reference number on UPS. The packages arrived in my town on the morning of the 14th. It took less then 2 days. I was amazed.

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
Yoshi is speaking on a mining panel at TNABC 2015 @ Miami.  Sharing some good info and perspective with attendees.

Any link to watch live?
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
Yoshi is speaking on a mining panel at TNABC 2015 @ Miami.  Sharing some good info and perspective with attendees.
https://mobile.twitter.com/search/gallery?q=%23tnabc&idx=2&tid=556845360694321152

-- edit
Yoshi's personal preference is to heat a strawberry greenhouse in winter time Smiley or to warm up a swimming pool
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Update

Freq 325

temp:56,55

two 2000rpm coolermaster fans for push pull cooling and two artic cooling 1350rpm one one the controller and one push air behind the miner

picture here:
http://pbrd.co/1ISn1ui

Bowing side panel at Dr.Miner's photo as reported in some other post earlier.

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Update

Freq 325

temp:56,55

two 2000rpm coolermaster fans for push pull cooling and two artic cooling 1350rpm one one the controller and one push air behind the miner

picture here:
http://pbrd.co/1ISn1ui
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
I'm getting 69 and 65 temperature?

Is this okay to long time?

That's how hot my blades are (at least right now). Seems to be OK for several days with 1.3 Th and 0.02% HWE at 400 frequency...

You can find in BM1384's datasheet that maximum operation temperature for this chip is 125℃, so 60-70℃ should not be such a problem...

Anyway, the lower temperature - the better...  Smiley

Seems winter is over in Sibiria :-p
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant

That's how hot my blades are (at least right now). Seems to be OK for several days with 1.3 Th and 0.02% HWE at 400 frequency...

You can find in BM1384's datasheet that maximum operation temperature for this chip is 125℃, so 60-70℃ should not be such a problem...

Anyway, the lower temperature - the better...  Smiley
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
Finally settled on a clock frequency of 306.25MHz which gives aprox 1010GH/s.  They've been running w/o mishap for near two days now and so decided to install the 4.9.0 CGminer.  It's now in and hopefully they'll continue to run uneventfully.  The reported temps are 50/49 (fans 2640/2640) and 52/51 (fans 2640/2640), aprox ambient temp is 64F.

=============================LATER===========================

Am noticing that since installing CGminer 4.9.0, I've lost about 20GH/s ave on both miners.  Any idea why this would be the case?

By what method did you put cgminer 4.9.0 on? You've probably replaced some antminer specific code which isn't on the main branch.
I used WinSCP and PuTTY (chmod +x cgminer; mv cgminer /usr/bin; /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart), however, it could be I just didn't leave it long enough to settle.  I rebooted to restore 4.8.0 and it also seems to be settling around 990GH/s.  Seems odd since I could have sworn they previously reached general vicinity of 1010GH/s within two hours.  Guess will have to play with it some more, but seems like 4.9.0 is probably off the hook anyway.
Funny -- with 4.8.0 I ran the clocks back up to 350MHz, let them settle down, and got near enough as advertized.  Then dropped to 312.5, let them settle and got neighborhood 320GH/s.  Reinstalled 4.9.0, they settled OK, so dropped down to my target 306.25 and they came in near enough the expected 310GH/s.  Guess it's time to leave 'em alone! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
Yeah

The L1 project was cancel. I think it was a good idea since the scrypt market is really low right now.

We should regroup to get stronger instead of creating one new coin every day.

shame it got scrapped then they could of made something serious and big like you said scrypt markets are low but need more miners to mine other algos like x series and other new algos that are coming out that are so far safe from asic tech
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Yeah

The L1 project was cancel. I think it was a good idea since the scrypt market is really low right now.

We should regroup to get stronger instead of creating one new coin every day.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
Whats happening with the scrypt miners and the project for them. Has this stopped and only doing sha miners and so forth?
Finally settled on a clock frequency of 306.25MHz which gives aprox 1010GH/s.  They've been running w/o mishap for near two days now and so decided to install the 4.9.0 CGminer.  It's now in and hopefully they'll continue to run uneventfully.  The reported temps are 50/49 (fans 2640/2640) and 52/51 (fans 2640/2640), aprox ambient temp is 64F.

Am noticing that since installing CGminer 4.9.0, I've lost about 20GH/s ave on both miners.  Any idea why this would be the case?

By what method did you put cgminer 4.9.0 on? You've probably replaced some antminer specific code which isn't on the main branch.
I used WinSCP and PuTTY (chmod +x cgminer; mv cgminer /usr/bin; /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart), however, it could be I just didn't leave it long enough to settle.  I rebooted to restore 4.8.0 and it also seems to be settling around 990GH/s.  Seems odd since I could have sworn they previously reached general vicinity of 1010GH/s within two hours.  Guess will have to play with it some more, but seems like 4.9.0 is probably off the hook anyway.

Activity: 338
Merit: 250
With another round taking over 10+ hours (this is the 5th one in 4 days), I decided to take one of my S3's off line and put the delta fan that comes with the S5 on it to do a little testing.  It's currently running between 3,480 and 3,600 RPM, and there's no screaming.  Just a big whooshing.  Not too much different from the two Silverstone 141's (running at about 2,000 RPM) on put in push/pull on my S5's.  This leads me to initially conclude that part of the screaming of the fans on the S5 (caused by the directional fins on the back of the fan?) is due to there not having a housing around the S5.  I also used one of these guards in the front (highly recommended) that may also be helping to reduce the screaming: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DBW8QZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   Anyone else try?

Oh, and the S3 temps are 42 C in a room at 90 F (at 250M).
It only drop to 41 C at 206.25M and 225M.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Received the two S5 this afternoon (batch  4), definitely a quick shipment (thanks Bitmain and the Postal Service).  I replaced the single push fans with S3 push/pull pairs using 6" 4pin PWM adapter cables and brought them up one at a time. Doesn't appear there's a need for a top cover since the pull fan grabs virtually all the push flow, very little escapes via the top.

The file system installed is the latest (Wed Jan 7 14:05:02 CST 2015), but CGminer is still 4.8.0.  The units are on a free standing shelf about 37" high with the back-to-back CX750M power supplies sandwiched between them.  I set the clocks to 312.5MHz and one S5 reported board temps of 51/50 (fans 2640/2640), the other 53/48 (fans 2640/2760).  The average hash rates report as ~1,020GH/s.  Sent an email to EastHash to see if they might have an S5 compatible CGminer 4.7.0 in the works.

I haven't tried the 4.9.0 CGminer yet, but if the miners remain stable, I'll give it a whirl.  They've been running roughly five hours now.

PS.  Am also giving 306.25MHz a try (maybe also 300MHz), would like to get closer to 1TH/s, hopefully a good round PSU conserving number.  Smiley

PPS.  Room temp is roughly 65F estimated via laser gun thermometer.
Finally settled on a clock frequency of 306.25MHz which gives aprox 1010GH/s.  They've been running w/o mishap for near two days now and so decided to install the 4.9.0 CGminer.  It's now in and hopefully they'll continue to run uneventfully.  The reported temps are 50/49 (fans 2640/2640) and 52/51 (fans 2640/2640), aprox ambient temp is 64F.

Am noticing that since installing CGminer 4.9.0, I've lost about 20GH/s ave on both miners.  Any idea why this would be the case?

Received the two S5 this afternoon (batch  4), definitely a quick shipment (thanks Bitmain and the Postal Service).  I replaced the single push fans with S3 push/pull pairs using 6" 4pin PWM adapter cables and brought them up one at a time. Doesn't appear there's a need for a top cover since the pull fan grabs virtually all the push flow, very little escapes via the top.

The file system installed is the latest (Wed Jan 7 14:05:02 CST 2015), but CGminer is still 4.8.0.  The units are on a free standing shelf about 37" high with the back-to-back CX750M power supplies sandwiched between them.  I set the clocks to 312.5MHz and one S5 reported board temps of 51/50 (fans 2640/2640), the other 53/48 (fans 2640/2760).  The average hash rates report as ~1,020GH/s.  Sent an email to EastHash to see if they might have an S5 compatible CGminer 4.7.0 in the works.

I haven't tried the 4.9.0 CGminer yet, but if the miners remain stable, I'll give it a whirl.  They've been running roughly five hours now.

PS.  Am also giving 306.25MHz a try (maybe also 300MHz), would like to get closer to 1TH/s, hopefully a good round PSU conserving number.  Smiley

PPS.  Room temp is roughly 65F estimated via laser gun thermometer.

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
The process of running a network cable to my garage where I plan on setting up my S5 seems to be more hassle then it's worth because the location will not be permanent. I know that wifi is not recommended but I hear some good things about this item:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Power-700mW-Extender/dp/B00HQ883QW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421529191&sr=8-2&keywords=NETGEAR+AC1200+High+Power+700mW+Dual+Band+Wi-Fi+Range+Extender+-+Desktop+with+5+Ports+%28EX6200%29

Is it compatible with the S5? I will plug a CAT 5 into it and have still have room for 4 more down the road (once my electrician wires me up properly).
You are right to hear good things about that, but if it is going to work for you, then you can as well simply get a cheaper one and configure (the cheaper one) as a repeater for your main router, which will accomplish the same thing you are trying to achieve with that expensive router.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

too hot.  what freq are you on?

what is your room's temp?

what fan are you using? stock or a mod?

Room 16celsius

Its two mod fans
Artic Cooling F12 modell
1350rpm
freq 350

I  have to keep silent this machine....no noise at all

You can get away with ~1800-2000rpm fans if you can keep your ambient low enough, there's quite a large difference from 1350 to 2000rpm in terms of airflow.

With you Artic Cooling (74 cfm) if you do a push pull setup, you can get steady 875 gh at 275 mhz.
The temps for me is around 59-55 so its enough low.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

too hot.  what freq are you on?

what is your room's temp?

what fan are you using? stock or a mod?

Room 16celsius

Its two mod fans
Artic Cooling F12 modell
1350rpm
freq 350

I  have to keep silent this machine....no noise at all

You can get away with ~1800-2000rpm fans if you can keep your ambient low enough, there's quite a large difference from 1350 to 2000rpm in terms of airflow.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Can I sink my S5 just in a fish tank with mineral oil and leave it for forever to mine?I know a Pc computer handle this with no problem.
Bitmain can you confirm this?

Absolutely not, no.

I will call my friend he is a cooling engineer he knows a lot about air pressure and airflow and all that stuff. and see what he says.

Or just buy a fish tank and submerge it in pure mineral oil then no fans are needed.

take a look at this way to expensive though for what these miners make.

As others have mentioned (below), you can't create a closed system with energy input without things heating up. The picture you linked was an mATX kit which required a 4x120mm radiator and pump to cool 700w NON 24/7 load. So for every S5 you've got another $200-$250 of components, ignoring the tank and oil.

Indeed people seem to forget that the mineral oil heats up and it still needs to dissipate the heat away. The same amount of heat is generated...
Jump to: