Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 215. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
Remove the fan,  Stand the miner vertically in a tall tank with enough space underneath to let the oil in, the thermal cycle will lift the heat to the top,
then use one of those silent, tower heat exchangers (normally used for water cooling and about 900mm high) to cool the oil.

How about submerging it in liquid nitrogen?

heh heh

hmmmm, you must got a real high iq that is real ingenious.

I'm a regular rocket sciencetard.
legendary
The process of running a network cable to my garage where I plan on setting up my S5 seems to be more hassle then it's worth because the location will not be permanent. I know that wifi is not recommended but I hear some good things about this item:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Power-700mW-Extender/dp/B00HQ883QW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421529191&sr=8-2&keywords=NETGEAR+AC1200+High+Power+700mW+Dual+Band+Wi-Fi+Range+Extender+-+Desktop+with+5+Ports+%28EX6200%29

Is it compatible with the S5? I will plug a CAT 5 into it and have still have room for 4 more down the road (once my electrician wires me up properly).
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Remove the fan,  Stand the miner vertically in a tall tank with enough space underneath to let the oil in, the thermal cycle will lift the heat to the top,
then use one of those silent, tower heat exchangers (normally used for water cooling and about 900mm high) to cool the oil.

heh heh

hmmmm, you must got a real high iq that is real ingenious.

Activity: 786
Merit: 1000
I'm getting 30 and 34 C on my S5 atm. It's actually running a wee bit cooler than my S3s. How?

I live in Ottawa, Canada and it's darn cold here right now. I have all my miners on a cheap 3 tiered plastic shelving unit near an open window. Between the open window and the miners is a large Sunbeam box fan I got for about $30 at Walmart.

For the S5, I added a second 2000RPM Coolermaster fan that i had laying around from my GPU mining days. I also got a small $9 Sunbeam fan at WalMart. I have it suspended with cable ties over top of the S5 to force excess cold air (coming from the box fan) into the top off the miner. Each shelf has open slots. So the air flows thru and the miner and out the bottom instead of rebounding back up thru the miner.  

EDIT: For the summer, i will use my portable room A'C. It will be placed between the Box fan and the miners' shelf in such a way that the box fan forces the AC's air directly at the miners.
legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
I was having reliability problems with my Batch 4 S5 that just arrived this week, so someone suggested I update the firmware with the latest (Jan 7) release on the website. Ever since I updated with that firmware I have had troubles. At first I had problems with one blade not coming up, then I did get it working about only at about 800Gh (default settings), and now almost 3 hours later I am down to 680Gh.

Does anyone have the original firmware available for download?

If you had batch 4 then you had the new firmware for sure.  My Batch 3 ants had it already and I received them like 5 days after the firmware was released.  Bitmain was on top of it there. 

One of mine does what you describe after I change the freq.  If I change the freq I have to do a power cycle to get it to hash full speed.  It doesn't show any X's or anything else in the GUI to indicate a problem but it just won't get up to full speed.  I can tell pretty soon though by just watching the WU number.  If it tops out around 8k then I know the hashrate will never get to full speed.  At this point though I can say that it basically does it every single time I change the freq.  But as soon as I power cycle it, I see the WU number go past 10k or so within the first minute and then I know it will get to full hashing speed.

I have to say though, these batch 3 S5 units are way more stable than my batch 2 S3's.  Those S3's have been a pain in my butt since day one.  They don't get the speeds they advertised, they need to be rebooted regularly or their hashrate sinks to about 60% of normal, and sometimes when they reboot they can't even see the boards.  They have required constant baby sitting and I would have sold them if I didn't feel bad about just passing that problem on to someone else.  My S1 has been so remarkably stable I was excited by the S3 but then those were so remarkably temperamental I was hesitant to get these S5's.  But now that I have them and they have been hashing for 5 days or so I am a happy miner again.  These things seem very stable, they get up to speed a lot faster then the S3's, and once they are doing their thing they really don't need baby sitting.  Very nice.
legendary
Activity: 1204
How do you want to disipate 600w of heat? thru the sides of the aquarium Roll Eyes

Indeed people seem to forget that the mineral oil heats up and it still needs to dissipate the heat away. The same amount of heat is generated...

I am thinking if you used vegetable oil you could fry up french fry's... Undecided
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
ActionCrypto.com ★ Bitcoin Binary Options
DHgate still sold out
anyone know when this will be available ?
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
I'm getting 69 and 65 temperature?

Is this okay to long time?

too hot.  what freq are you on?

what is your room's temp?

what fan are you using? stock or a mod?

Room 16celsius

Its two mod fans
Artic Cooling F12 modell
1350rpm
freq 350

I  have to keep silent this machine....no noise at all
Activity: 248
Merit: 250
Are we there yet?
thats a bit too hot!!!!   Cry

Yes... and I'm still waiting for my fans... Another 2 went dead Sad
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

too hot.  what freq are you on?

what is your room's temp?

what fan are you using? stock or a mod?
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
thats a bit too hot!!!!   Cry

Ants works the best if its colder

Activity: 26
Is there any date when more S5 will be in stock at DHgate? Smiley
Activity: 602
Merit: 100
go ahead and release the 10 TH units already.

Grin
legendary
Remove the fan,  Stand the miner vertically in a tall tank with enough space underneath to let the oil in, the thermal cycle will lift the heat to the top,

heh heh
Activity: 868
Remove the fan,  Stand the miner vertically in a tall tank with enough space underneath to let the oil in, the thermal cycle will lift the heat to the top,

donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
+1 Grin

But... But.... Butttttt....  It's cool to watch hashing PCBs bubble in the liquid  Shocked

Indeed people seem to forget that the mineral oil heats up and it still needs to dissipate the heat away. The same amount of heat is generated...
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
How do you want to disipate 600w of heat? thru the sides of the aquarium Roll Eyes
I will call my friend he is a cooling engineer he knows a lot about air pressure and airflow and all that stuff. and see what he says.

Or just buy a fish tank and submerge it in pure mineral oil then no fans are needed.

take a look at this way to expensive though for what these miners make.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/aquarium/mATX/customize.php

http://s29.postimg.org/9er35cckn/TANK.png

Thanks for posting this, a video on the site answered a big question I had which was would a fan work submerged in mineral oil and the answer is yes (but much slower), wonder if a stronger motor would fair better (ie., 1 amp to 3.25 amp).  With the video, it shows that miners submerged, may just be the answer for those willing to pay for the quiet at home.  Now for the ultimate home project, wait for the C2 to be released and have 2 running in mineral oil with one radiator for the mineral oil and one for the coolant.  Wonder if someone has done something really crazy like that, with the coolant radiator also submerged in mineral oil in a separate tank (with the oil going through a radiator on a separate channel)?

Can I sink my S5 just in a fish tank with mineral oil and leave it for forever to mine?I know a Pc computer handle this with no problem.
Bitmain can you confirm this?
Jump to: