Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 219. (Read 451047 times)

Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
Acknowledging that this is not a major point, have others noticed the plastic side panels tend to be bowed (as opposed to flat)?  I found that with my new units I needed to loosen the forward screws to relax the side panels and allow them to flatten.  Unfortunately, the screws appear to be particularly tight and it's a real challenge to relax them without damaging the Phillips heads.  Perhaps this is something Bitmain production/shipping could take a look at?
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
Has anyone tried the RAIDMAX PSUs?
In SA I can pick up the raidmax rx1000ae http://raidmax.com/psu/rx_1000ae.html PSU cheaper (R300) than the Corsair CX750(m) and similar brands. It is also rated as 80+ Gold.

I ran a lot of GPUs on Raidmax PSUs, and never had a problem. The multiple rails isn't that great, but if you're just going to power a single S5 it would be fine.

Plus, they come in a cool reusable box.

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io
Has anyone tried the RAIDMAX PSUs?
In SA I can pick up the raidmax rx1000ae http://raidmax.com/psu/rx_1000ae.html PSU cheaper (R300) than the Corsair CX750(m) and similar brands. It is also rated as 80+ Gold.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Also the PSU's made this year have much Better technology the reason you guys are getting burnt wires is the input power to the PSU From the wall is not adequate or you are using a outdated supply buy a new one you will see. my connectors are not even the slightest bit warm.

PSU = EVGA Supernova 1300 watt running S5 at default FREQ and a S3 with a clock Freq of 256.6 and I can still go more.

Also have a devoted line running from your breaker box in your wall as well with its own breaker!!!!

If the INPUT POWER IS NOT adequate to the PSU the PSU will output more dc current which causes the number of electrons flowing through the wire to increase creating more friction which creates more heat this is why your miner connectors burn up!!!!

This PSU thingy has been proven in a lab many many times.

I've also done it myself. or should I say Tyself.

The PSU's I have had great luck are RM1000, EVGA 1300, Lightning 1300.   All work great with bitmain or other miners.
You're responding to a quote from a Bitmain staff member, presume it to be a typo!  Smiley
Am I suppose to be impressed Trevor s Huh
You are remarkably caustic, is it really necessary?  Likewise, is this series of posts really necessary?  How about combining them into one?  Edit works great!

Try being friendly, it gets you farther!  Smiley
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
here read the section on multi-rail they don't deliver the current at the same time while single rail does this article applies to miners to.

especially miners because they have a heavy load.

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/warning-6-surefire-ways-of-blowing-up-your-computer-due-to-an-inadequate-power-supply/
Also the PSU's made this year have much Better technology the reason you guys are getting burnt wires is the input power to the PSU From the wall is not adequate or you are using a outdated supply buy a new one you will see. my connectors are not even the slightest bit warm.

PSU = EVGA Supernova 1300 watt running S5 at default FREQ and a S3 with a clock Freq of 256.6 and I can still go more.

Also have a devoted line running from your breaker box in your wall as well with its own breaker!!!!

If the INPUT POWER IS NOT adequate to the PSU the PSU will output more dc current which causes the number of electrons flowing through the wire to increase creating more friction which creates more heat this is why your miner connectors burn up!!!!

This PSU thingy has been proven in a lab many many times.

I've also done it myself. or should I say Tyself.

I've had 4 CX750Ms running overloaded for the last YEAR and they're all fine. They're really 825W PSUs, and as long as you keep their intake and exhausts clear they'll treat you well.
Thanks for the input, man!  I've touch checked the two supplies and both cases feel cool and the fan exhausts likewise.  Plus, although the PCI-E and Molex cables near the PSU show some warmth, it's very mild.  I'm certainly hopeful! Smiley

what are TICK GAUGE PCI-E cables you mean thick Huh?
You're responding to a quote from a Bitmain staff member, presume it to be a typo!  Smiley

Am I suppose to be impressed Trevor s Huh

You don't need to 12v rails it will do fine on one single rail with 100 amp or more. I am a disabled hardware engineer since the 80's. A single rail is better get it right Dogie. I don't see how you guys even work for BITMAIN. No wonder why the s3 is messed up. Can I get a job there to.

I've had 4 CX750Ms running overloaded for the last YEAR and they're all fine. They're really 825W PSUs, and as long as you keep their intake and exhausts clear they'll treat you well.
Thanks for the input, man!  I've touch checked the two supplies and both cases feel cool and the fan exhausts likewise.  Plus, although the PCI-E and Molex cables near the PSU show some warmth, it's very mild.  I'm certainly hopeful! Smiley

Why do you want to lower the hashrate? There are no efficiency gains that way, same ~0.55W per GH/s or whatever it is.
Three reasons:
1) Heat is a real problem and I need to reasonably minimize it.  The S3 tends to stay under 50C all year 'round, but that's clearly not the case for the S5, which apparently easily lifts above 70.  Come summer, I can always paddle around in my underwear, but that doesn't help with cooling the S5.

2) Noise is a real problem and I need to reasonably minimize it.  The S3 push/pull fans help tremendously, but they still sound much more earnest than the S3's sharing the same room.

3) According to "BitmainWarranty", they experienced reliability issues after a few weeks of running the S5 with the Corsair CX750M.  I want to ease the load and re-use the PSUs I already own (previously powered the now displaced S3s.)
CoolMaster 1000W PSU will be 1 x S5.  2 will die or see lots of lovely Xs

Also, Corsair cx750m will work for now, but may experience high failure rate about 3-4 weeks into it or later, and HX850 is recommended.

S5 is out in the market for only 2 weeks.  So, you may not experience much failure yet but we have used CX750 in heavy miner deployments in the past and seen what it does.  (360w-400W sure, but not when it is pulling 590-600W constant)

PSU, please remember, you will need minimum 2 rails of 12v with TICK GAUGE PCI-E cables or else, it will get hot and may melt or may catch fire.

Why dogie I run a S5 stock and a S3 with a freq setting of 256mhz "512" on a EVGA Supernova 1300 watt G2 and its single rail and the connectors don't even get warm you should get a brand new PSU the technology is better.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Why do you want to lower the hashrate? There are no efficiency gains that way, same ~0.55W per GH/s or whatever it is.
Three reasons:
1) Heat is a real problem and I need to reasonably minimize it.  The S3 tends to stay under 50C all year 'round, but that's clearly not the case for the S5, which apparently easily lifts above 70.  Come summer, I can always paddle around in my underwear, but that doesn't help with cooling the S5.

2) Noise is a real problem and I need to reasonably minimize it.  The S3 push/pull fans help tremendously, but they still sound much more earnest than the S3's sharing the same room.

3) According to "BitmainWarranty", they experienced reliability issues after a few weeks of running the S5 with the Corsair CX750M.  I want to ease the load and re-use the PSUs I already own (previously powered the now displaced S3s.)
CoolMaster 1000W PSU will be 1 x S5.  2 will die or see lots of lovely Xs

Also, Corsair cx750m will work for now, but may experience high failure rate about 3-4 weeks into it or later, and HX850 is recommended.

S5 is out in the market for only 2 weeks.  So, you may not experience much failure yet but we have used CX750 in heavy miner deployments in the past and seen what it does.  (360w-400W sure, but not when it is pulling 590-600W constant)

PSU, please remember, you will need minimum 2 rails of 12v with TICK GAUGE PCI-E cables or else, it will get hot and may melt or may catch fire.

Three reasons:
1) Heat is a real problem and I need to reasonably minimize it.  The S3 tends to stay under 50C all year 'round, but that's clearly not the case for the S5, which apparently easily lifts above 70.  Come summer, I can always paddle around in my underwear, but that doesn't help with cooling the S5.

2) Noise is a real problem and I need to reasonably minimize it.  The S3 push/pull fans help tremendously, but they still sound much more earnest than the S3's sharing the same room.  (Near 2:1 fan speed and over 10C difference.)

3) According to "BitmainWarranty", they experienced reliability issues after a few weeks of running the S5 with the Corsair CX750M.  I want to ease the load and re-use the PSUs I already own (previously powered the now displaced S3s.)
CoolMaster 1000W PSU will be 1 x S5.  2 will die or see lots of lovely Xs

S5 is out in the market for only 2 weeks.  So, you may not experience much failure yet but we have used CX750 in heavy miner deployments in the past and seen what it does.  (360w-400W sure, but not when it is pulling 590-600W constant)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Hey

I wanted to try to put 2 S1 fan on a push pull setup on my S5 but the cable are way to small.

Anyone know where I can find a 4 pin to 4 pin extender.  Tongue

Thanks Bitmain S5 is awesome. Except for the noise!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Received the two S5 this afternoon (batch  4), definitely a quick shipment (thanks Bitmain and the Postal Service).  I replaced the single push fans with S3 push/pull pairs using 6" 4pin PWM adapters and brought them up one at a time. Doesn't appear there's a need for a top cover since the pull fan grabs virtually all the push flow, very little escapes via the top.

The file system installed is the latest (Wed Jan 7 14:05:02 CST 2015), but CGminer is still 4.8.0.  The units are on a free standing shelf about 37" high with the back-to-back CX750M power supplies sandwiched between them.  I set the clocks to 312.5MHz and one S5 reported board temps of 51/50 (fans 2640/2640), the other 53/48 (fans 2640/2760).  The average hash rates report as ~1,020GH/s.  Sent an email to EastHash to see if they might have an S5 compatible CGminer 4.7.0 in the works.

I haven't tried the 4.9.0 CGminer yet, but if the miners remain stable, I'll give it a whirl.  They've been running roughly five hours now.

PS.  Am also giving 306.25MHz a try (maybe also 300MHz), would like to get closer to 1TH/s, hopefully a good round PSU conserving number.  Smiley

PPS.  Room temp is roughly 65F estimated via laser gun thermometer.

I Monday received shipment confirmation of two S5 from Bitmain and Tuesday verified they've completed sort in Shenzen for EMS shipment to me on the US East Coast.  Current plan is to replace the fan with S3 push/pull, modest underclock, construct a metal cover for the top, and use a single Corsair MX750M (560W S5 spec, dual PCI-E and dual Molex-PCI-E cables and underclock being key).  Am I overlooking anything that I shouldn't?
No, you are good to go. The psu for single S5 right?
Yes indeed, currently using one CX750M per S3, and want to continue in that vane, but don't want to risk the PSU.  Noise is an issue and my impression is that Push/Pull fans alone may not be enough, hence a mild underclock!
Received the two S5 this afternoon (batch  4), definitely a quick shipment (thanks Bitmain and the Postal Service).  I replaced the single push fans with S3 push/pull pairs using 6" 4pin PWM adapter cables and brought them up one at a time. Doesn't appear there's a need for a top cover since the pull fan grabs virtually all the push flow, very little escapes via the top.

The file system installed is the latest (Wed Jan 7 14:05:02 CST 2015), but CGminer is still 4.8.0.  The units are on a free standing shelf about 37" high with the back-to-back CX750M power supplies sandwiched between them.  I set the clocks to 312.5MHz and one S5 reported board temps of 51/50 (fans 2640/2640), the other 53/48 (fans 2640/2760).  The average hash rates report as ~1,020GH/s.  Sent an email to EastHash to see if they might have an S5 compatible CGminer 4.7.0 in the works.

I haven't tried the 4.9.0 CGminer yet, but if the miners remain stable, I'll give it a whirl.  They've been running roughly five hours now.

PS.  Am also giving 306.25MHz a try (maybe also 300MHz), would like to get closer to 1TH/s, hopefully a good round PSU conserving number.  Smiley

PPS.  Room temp is roughly 65F estimated via laser gun thermometer.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Activity: 786
Merit: 1000
What is the average shipping/delivery time for these units?

3 days to Canada - hard to believe. Very impressed. Used UPS and it cost me ~$75.00 but worth it IMO.

Yup same here...and it spent as much air travel time in US as it did traveling within Canuckistan. It was a day faster than previous shipments from Bitmain.

Question about antMiner temperatures:

How hot is too hot for an S3 or S5? I freak and open more windows if any of mine get over 40 C. (My S5 is flirting with 46 C right now as it is warmer outside tonight -ie: -6 C). Anyway, I see others mentioning 50 - 60 C and they seem unworried about it. Is it safe to assume < 60 is ok?

EDIT: Yes i did GPU mine back in the day. I was happy to keep them under 75 C....and started turning down the clock if they got over 80.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I was looking to run one at home (for heat) but it's quite loud (as everyone else has observed). Has someone actually enclosed the unit (I believe someone mentioned saran wrap earlier) and recorded any results?

It involves taping the heatsink closed [top or top + bottom] and drops about 2C off the temps. Not enough to budge the fan's speed though.
Activity: 338
Someone else posted this before, but thought I would repost this idea as I received one and tested it for a short time on the fan that comes with the S5 (it's removed from the S5 so I hooked it up directly to a power supply).  This might be the easiest and cheap solution for the noisy fan (warning that the controller device gets hot).  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LL8KF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  You can set the desired speed of the fan with the switch on VR and then set the switch to PWM to let it be controlled by the miner.  This makes it easy, so when you're home and want the S5 fan quieter, you put it on VR and the green light comes on, or when you want to set the fan to S5 controller (faster and louder) you can switch to PWM and the red light comes on.

Jump to: