Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 36. (Read 450989 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
But unless you're on free electric, or something totally insane like 1-2 cents/KWH, .9GH/watt is losing money making those S1s a liability. Well, no longer an asset anyway.

It's not "GH/watt" (not sure what that unit would measure), it's 0.9-1.1 J/GH or 0.9-1.1 W/GH/s.

0.9-1.1 J/GH is profitable (barely) up to ~0.10 USD per kWh or so.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
But unless you're on free electric, or something totally insane like 1-2 cents/KWH, .9GH/watt is losing money making those S1s a liability. Well, no longer an asset anyway.

Unless of-course you are solo-mining .... (and hit a block). And again, S1's can be undervolted to more "asset-able" levels too.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

(edit) looks like a dropped a decimal point, that would actually be profitable up to 8-9 cents/KWH at current bitcoin diff and price. Which is still pretty low cost electric though, most of the USA pays at least 10 cents/KWH and I think the average is pushing 13 as of last year.

I'd hate to try to ROI if the unit wasn't already mostly paid off though. 8-O

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
The difference between 50% load and 100% load in terms of 80+ testing is 3-4% loss in efficiency.
Varies some, I've seen a few high-end Gold units lose closer to 2% between those points.

Or even better on superior units! My EVGA has 2% loss in efficiency at 108% load versus optimal load. At typical load its pretty much under 1%.

Miners are not liabilities as long as they can mine at a profit.

Indeed. My S1s are still not liabilities or a loss, so at which point it could be considered some sort of liability really depend on your running cost.

And down clocking on some unit, such as the S1, can drop J/GH from 2.0 to 1.1-0.9J/GH. So some older units can be even less of a liability if efficiency is improvable.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

The difference between 50% load and 100% load in terms of 80+ testing is 3-4% loss in efficiency.

Varies some, I've seen a few high-end Gold units lose closer to 2% between those points.

PSU's unlike miners are ASSETS and not LIABILITIES

Miners are not liabilities as long as they can mine at a profit. I'd class them as short-term high depreciation assets, vs, power supplies where a good power supply can be a very long-term asset.

Given that I anticipate the "in process of showing up" generation of miners to have a high probability of being viable for 4+ years, I doubt that power supplies will outlast 3 generations of miner past the "current showing up" generation on a high-probability bases. Miners are catching up to "state of the art" in the current generation, after a few years of each ASIC generation being well behind the current state of the art for semiconductor manufacture.

50% to 80% load on MOST gold power supplies is usually less than a 1% drop in efficiency. Seems like the optimal point from a ALL costs basis is around 70-80% ballpark - which is also a good point to be at from a LONG TERM reliability basis.

I'm really not sure about downclocking and power usage

In my S5 testing, the efficiency was pretty close to flat vs. clock rate from 300 Mhz to 380ish. The varience seemed to be mostly "measurement tolerance" and a very small contribution from the small efficiency difference in the power supply with varying load level.
 I don't see dropping to 275 being a significant efficiency change.

POWER usage on the other hand did change with the clock changes, downclocking WOULD drop the total power used appx. in proportion to the clock rate change.

2TH at 700 watts wouldn't be practical out of an S5 form factor unit, you'd need more chips than you could fit on 3 boards. 1TH at around 350 though I could see happening if Bitmain wanted to do it, 2 strings of 20 chips per board with 3 boards - I'd have to go look up one of my posts in the Gekko BM1384 thread to find the figures I worked out.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

For USA customers ,  ITOP Shop  will Ship locally from NY , thanks.

Will that price include shipping?

If Bitmain is selling direct for $2750, I'd rather go there, ship direct and take my chances with customs.  Your price is too high to yet add shipping on top, if their price does end up as stated.

heck he is in New York I could drive from New Jersey. Cut the shipping out.

i could drive to NY it's  maybe a 3 hour drive for me . but i really don't want one even if i could afford it i wouldn't . I was hoping for something  more like the S5 to  use less power and offer more hash . like maybe 700 watts at 2 th.I

Most likely I will order one of these and 1 s-5 from bitmaintech.  this is not exactly what I want to do and right now we are trending up hard in diff so I am not sure waht I am doing.

NO place to put a S5 + one set back for me and price, over time i can get one Sfards and one more S5 . I'm not counting on anything cheap and good for home users any more from bitmain.  

which had to happen sooner or later . I hope im wrong but more then likely I'm not .

Cya  . other things to take care in real life lmao . bb L

legendary

If Bitmain is selling direct for $2750, I'd rather go there, ship direct and take my chances with customs.  Your price is too high to yet add shipping on top, if their price does end up as stated.

i could drive to NY it's  maybe a 3 hour drive for me . but i really don't want one even if i could afford it i wouldn't . I was hoping for something  more like the S5 to  use less power and offer more hash . like maybe 700 watts at 2 th.I

Most likely I will order one of these and 1 s-5 from bitmaintech.  this is not exactly what I want to do and right now we are trending up hard in diff so I am not sure waht I am doing.

nm
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'

i could drive to NY it's  maybe a 3 hour drive for me . but i really don't want one even if i could afford it i wouldn't . I was hoping for something  more like the S5 to  use less power and offer more hash . like maybe 700 watts at 2 th.

Most likely I will order one of these and 1 s-5 from bitmaintech.  this is not exactly what I want to do and right now we are trending up hard in diff so I am not sure what I am doing.
legendary

i could drive to NY it's  maybe a 3 hour drive for me . but i really don't want one even if i could afford it i wouldn't . I was hoping for something  more like the S5 to  use less power and offer more hash . like maybe 700 watts at 2 th.
legendary
Activity: 1456

For USA customers ,  ITOP Shop  will Ship locally from NY , thanks.

If Bitmain is selling direct for $2750, I'd rather go there, ship direct and take my chances with customs.  Your price is too high to yet add shipping on top, if their price does end up as stated.

You can bet his price will be higher !!! . AND NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING .

Yea it's the new thing to do it seems to buy miners and jack up price and resell.  Just look at SFards people going from 1200 to 2k.   

I guess at least this seller did not do that extent of  raising price.   But resellers might be the new trend they buy run it and sell at profit.  I hope Bitmain sells the S5 Plus to the rest of the world to keep price down some.
legendary

If Bitmain is selling direct for $2750, I'd rather go there, ship direct and take my chances with customs.  Your price is too high to yet add shipping on top, if their price does end up as stated.

You can bet his price will be higher !!! . AND NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING .
legendary

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

legendary
For sounds I put two of these on top of my S5s so they hang over the fans (push-pull) and they cut down on the sound quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y387B4/ref=rr_xsim_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439388990&sr=0

I was able to reduce s-5 sound from 75db to 51 db and still over clock to 1300gh.

I used multiple fans in a push pull method.

This new s-5+/s-6 already has multiple fans in push pull.

I would have really like to use just the center piece  at my friends office.

I wonder if I order a s-5 and an s-5+ on friday from bitmaintech this friday.

If I could pull the left right off the  s-5+ and use the s-5 controller to run them.

Then take the s-5 blades and use them on the s-5+

This would give me a 2550+1150     and a 2550+2550   vs  a 7700 and a 1150

I could manage this better
Activity: 868
For sounds I put two of these on top of my S5s so they hang over the fans (push-pull) and they cut down on the sound quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y387B4/ref=rr_xsim_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439388990&sr=0
legendary
Hey dmward,

about the 2880W PSU's, I wouldn't personally power these 1 for 1, although the PSU's come a bit under-rated, I don't think they would last with 2-300W over their rating in a steady state. They would likely hit the thermal shut off, especially in this summer heat.  Also, the higher you run PSU's, the lower efficiency gets.  It would make more sense to run 2x S5+ with 3x 2880W PSU's @ ~2100W on each PSU and get the best power efficiency at the wall.

With appropriate cables like are available for thes server PSU's, 2 per board would be more than sufficient. The good aftermarket PCIe-PCIe cables are rated for 288W per connector.

do you think if he clocks at freq 275

power drops enough?

275/325 x 3450 watts = 2920 watts.

I actually am interested  in what was done to go from  .52 watts a gh to . 445 watts a gh.

the s-5 is freq 350 and does .51/.52
I have tested the s-5 from freq 250 to freq 412   and power is really flat about .49 to .52 going from

freq 250 to freq 412.

I wonder how flat power is here  going from freq 225 to freq 375

if this could do freq 275 at .4 watts it would make for a bigger improvement .

my sidehack usb sticks do .35-.36 at freq 250

this gear did something to improve from .51 to .44   not just the downclock from 350 to 325

Phillip,

for someone who is always chasing optimum efficiency, why would you want to give power away when it comes to PSU's?  The difference between 50% load and 100% load in terms of 80+ testing is 3-4% loss in efficiency. If you look at how much you are paying extra for new miners with greater efficiency, and the fact that PSU's unlike miners are ASSETS and not LIABILITIES, it makes sense to have enough PSU's to not be pushing them to the max.  Greater efficiency, less heat-related failures, and they will still be good 3 generations of miners from now.  I am not saying everyone should be running PSU's at 50% load, but the efficiency rating between 50% load and 100% load is surely not linear, but exponential.  70-85% load is a good place to be IMO.

I'm really not sure about downclocking and power usage, but considering this is a presumably similar string-chips fixed-voltage miner as the S5, I doubt there will be much in efficiency to be gained by under-clocking them. Therefore if you downclock them, you are leaving money on the table, and would be better off with more PSU's (which again, will still be valuable in the future, unlike any miner).  The only reason to be cheaping out on PSU's (including running them at higher than optimal loads) is if you are in a large mining facility where the cost of power is not the sole determining factor in ROI/revenue. Same goes for people using 120V instead of 240V (another 2% of efficiency to be gained by making the switch).

Well I am looking at this from a home miner viewpoint. Not a 50th to 1ph farm.

I could run 3 of these maybe.

Since I have        2x  240 volts circuits
And a garage with 5x 120 volt circuits

If I get one and use your 2880 watt psu.

I would be doing it to manage heat and sound.  A downclock to 5500 gh say freq 250 from 325 allows for sound management.

Also I have a place that I can do 2.4 cent power it has 2x 120 volt 20 amp circuits.

Right now I am using  4 s-3's burning 1400 watts .  1050 on one circuit and 350 on the other circuit .

I know I can use more power in this spot.  It is my friends office  but I need to manage sound more then power or heat.

Activity: 68
Merit: 11
Any one want any miners? I think not....

It depends only on price.

I am selling 7 PCS of ANY MINER S5, second hand, that have been running for 4 months.

Contact me [email protected]
Sure you chose a wrong thread for WTS post, but PM sent.  Wink

I would agree on depends on price.  I would like to see the S5+ being sold to US.   Kinda stinks they don't have it listed for more then China.

I think it pushes 7T if the specs in another thread were right.

I saw in a post some place it suppose to go on sell on there main site to the US Friday, now i can't find it . bitmains words .

found it

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12119652

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Hey dmward,

about the 2880W PSU's, I wouldn't personally power these 1 for 1, although the PSU's come a bit under-rated, I don't think they would last with 2-300W over their rating in a steady state. They would likely hit the thermal shut off, especially in this summer heat.  Also, the higher you run PSU's, the lower efficiency gets.  It would make more sense to run 2x S5+ with 3x 2880W PSU's @ ~2100W on each PSU and get the best power efficiency at the wall.

With appropriate cables like are available for thes server PSU's, 2 per board would be more than sufficient. The good aftermarket PCIe-PCIe cables are rated for 288W per connector.

do you think if he clocks at freq 275

power drops enough?

275/325 x 3450 watts = 2920 watts.

I actually am interested  in what was done to go from  .52 watts a gh to . 445 watts a gh.

the s-5 is freq 350 and does .51/.52
I have tested the s-5 from freq 250 to freq 412   and power is really flat about .49 to .52 going from

freq 250 to freq 412.

I wonder how flat power is here  going from freq 225 to freq 375

if this could do freq 275 at .4 watts it would make for a bigger improvement .

my sidehack usb sticks do .35-.36 at freq 250

this gear did something to improve from .51 to .44   not just the downclock from 350 to 325

Phillip,

for someone who is always chasing optimum efficiency, why would you want to give power away when it comes to PSU's?  The difference between 50% load and 100% load in terms of 80+ testing is 3-4% loss in efficiency. If you look at how much you are paying extra for new miners with greater efficiency, and the fact that PSU's unlike miners are ASSETS and not LIABILITIES, it makes sense to have enough PSU's to not be pushing them to the max.  Greater efficiency, less heat-related failures, and they will still be good 3 generations of miners from now.  I am not saying everyone should be running PSU's at 50% load, but the efficiency rating between 50% load and 100% load is surely not linear, but exponential.  70-85% load is a good place to be IMO.

I'm really not sure about downclocking and power usage, but considering this is a presumably similar string-chips fixed-voltage miner as the S5, I doubt there will be much in efficiency to be gained by under-clocking them. Therefore if you downclock them, you are leaving money on the table, and would be better off with more PSU's (which again, will still be valuable in the future, unlike any miner).  The only reason to be cheaping out on PSU's (including running them at higher than optimal loads) is if you are in a large mining facility where the cost of power is not the sole determining factor in ROI/revenue. Same goes for people using 120V instead of 240V (another 2% of efficiency to be gained by making the switch).
legendary

I am selling 7 PCS of ANY MINER S5, second hand, that have been running for 4 months.

Sure you chose a wrong thread for WTS post, but PM sent.  Wink

I would agree on depends on price.  I would like to see the S5+ being sold to US.   Kinda stinks they don't have it listed for more then China.

I saw in a post some place it suppose to go on sell on there main site to the US Friday, now i can't find it . bitmains words .

found it

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12119652
legendary
Activity: 1456

Sure you chose a wrong thread for WTS post, but PM sent.  Wink

I would agree on depends on price.  I would like to see the S5+ being sold to US.   Kinda stinks they don't have it listed for more then China.

Pages:
Jump to: