Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 42. (Read 451032 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
So is this miner real?

First off, it's an S5+ and not an S7 as insinuated to be the next from bitmain by some pretenders, and it is real.
But like the S3+ prior to the S5, it seems to be thus far, a reserve for the Chnese market.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
So is this miner real?

Waiting on confirmation (currently midnight and the weekend) but almost certainly.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
if they are using the s5 chips, those would have to be some pretty high cfm fans to cool it. the s5 has heatsinks twice the size and they run pretty hot.

So, just detailing the photos now i have some comments:

• What happened with the monolithic heatsink design? Why start using off the shelf heatsinks with these? are these a low production run?
  • At 75w max rating per PCI-e connector, those hashboards are bound to consume 225w each. There are 3 boards per unit, reaching 675w per unit. That would make the upper consume bound 2075w!!!! How are you running it on ~3400w? wouldn't this be overspeccing the connectors and probably lead to burnt plastic casings? (not that this hasn't happened before, the S5 is overspecced as well)

The original curved thin fin heatsinks have great efficiency while not costing an arm to manufacture. Thicker but short finned heatsinks aren't quite as good but can be crammed into a much smaller space. Its not going to be a problem.

75W is the official PCI-E spec's max, its not the real world max by a long shot. Most miners have been running 150-200W per PCI-E and still plenty more requiring 250W+. Most people ran the S5 off 2 PCI-E.

The worst thing about the monster is that you need to deploy 28 friggen PCI-e connectors. A 2880w PSU breakout from J4bberwock has at most 20 connectors. Sidehack's 750w PSU breakout has place for 4, and the DPS2000 breakout has 12. You could power this monstruosity with a 2880w PSU + 750w, but then you have to find out if this setup can be used with current sharing... omg... this thing is crazy on all levels
9 boards, 27 PCI-E, 3400W = 380W per board. You could easily use just 2 PCI-E connectors, there are just more than required (like the S3, S5) if you want to use them or want to OC significantly.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Wow that is a beast... Yes the server PSU's are perfect as they are designed to be connected in parallel and load share well. I hope they ship them with ear defenders.  Smiley

Seeing the construction makes you wonder if they will release a single unit with 3 PCB, would still be an impressive 2574GH

There is no chaining going on on required here, each board is receiving 12V independently of each other board. Its the same as the people powering 3 S5s with 2 PSUs or even how the SP3X operated.

So is this miner real?
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Wow that is a beast... Yes the server PSU's are perfect as they are designed to be connected in parallel and load share well. I hope they ship them with ear defenders.  Smiley

Seeing the construction makes you wonder if they will release a single unit with 3 PCB, would still be an impressive 2574GH
There is no chaining going on on required here, each board is receiving 12V independently of each other board. Its the same as the people powering 3 S5s with 2 PSUs or even how the SP3X operated.

Shocked  3436w is way to much for home mining. But 7th is awesome!  Grin

That 3436W is just perfect for me.Got 230v/16A  Smiley
As above, you can power each board independently so those with smaller circuits can power one miner with multiple circuits. I did the same on my SP35 and generally do on all my larger miners.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
Picts look fake, Bitmain is quiet...  Huh
i got the pict from bitmain official weibo account
here http://weibo.com/bitmain

thats verified account

there are still many people who do not believe in the truth, hehe ...
Bitmain S5 + coming soon ..  Cheesy

won't matter for home users only will work in places with 2 or 3c kwh elec data halls at best and likely like most bitmain products over priced from the get go
and price drops just behind what it is practical to ever make ROI imho

Yeah these are really meant for data center operations
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Hmmm, given that the site this 3-wide so-called S5+ is comming from is NOT bitmain's site, I'm even MORE inclined to take this thing as either vaporware or a straight-up scam.

The last end-view pic with no fans just makes me wince - the chips towards the end of the board WILL overheat badly, the airflow through this unit would be a nighmare at best (think SP20/SP20E second row chips run hotter multiplied by about a factor of 10).

I'm starting to think "nuclear meltdown" after all.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
While the S5 could have been more efficient, I don't really think we can complain.  An S5 is pretty much worth the same as when they were first available in January; anyone who bought and held them has really made out. 

This is not the first network plateau, nor the last.  The coming changes will be less and less with each generation; and miners will hold their value more and more.

• What happened with the monolithic heatsink design? Why start using off the shelf heatsinks with these? are these a low production run?
  • At 75w max rating per PCI-e connector, those hashboards are bound to consume 225w each. There are 3 boards per unit, reaching 675w per unit. That would make the upper consume bound 2075w!!!! How are you running it on ~3400w? wouldn't this be overspeccing the connectors and probably lead to burnt plastic casings? (not that this hasn't happened before, the S5 is overspecced as well)

Yeah it seems dodgy as all hell.

The figures are showing what the S5 "should" have been producing from the BM 1384:- 0.45 W/Gh

Yeah it seems dodgy as all hell.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
BITMAIN ANTMINER S5+: The New Standard

Fake ID, Beware

Shut - I still was trying to create a banner. You were quicker (and yours is nicer than mine would have been)
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

Fake ID, Beware

Loving the banner lol
legendary
Activity: 1098

Fake ID, Beware

Activity: 686
FUN > ROI
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
can anything be read from the pricing of the used S5's?
Yeah. Time to find a new hobby.
What, you giving up on trolling?
I'll give up trolling the same time you do Wink

In all seriousness, though, I think what can be legitimately inferred is, that you should buy up the used S5 stock while it's available if you're interested in home mining, because shit's gonna get more expensive for the next little while, and screw you if you're not running 240V circuits.

What, you giving up on trolling? That'd be a great upside .... and aptly the + in the name.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow

19000 Yuan which is approx US $ 3060.00 then add shipping for 11KG (and taxes)
http://shop.bitmain.cn/goods.php?id=47

That made me think .... one module at US $ 1020 plus shipping ..... 2.5TH/s @ 1145W per module ..... can anything be read from the pricing of the used S5's?
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
Ya'll need to start using ºC man.... What's up with all the ºF sillyness?

Granted, they used the exact same price i predicted here, which is all in all suspicious, and having just 2 units available has all kind of red flags over it... please, anyone reading this, don't buy it until we have confirmation from the horses' mouth that this is official.

ACK! showing my low class 'American-ness' ACK!

whatever it does not pay for sure at 13c kwh that is for sure Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: