Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 46. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
S5+

432 chips, 7722GH/s, 3436 Wt

Have anyone heard about it?
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
On the S5, you need the cooling air flowing across the back to cool the parts that are on the back side of the circuit board.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
These chip are bottom heat so even if you but heatsink on top of it you will not see a big difference in temp.  Wink
Might have that the wrong way around - these are, or are at least claimed to be, flip chip type designs with most of the heat going out the top of the chip.  The S5 miner design has heat sinks on the top.  Maybe you were referring to board sides, though.

I'm also not convinced that cooling the other side is entirely fruitless - just not necessary - as some heat is going there as well (can't disobey the laws of physics).  The S5's layout does mean that if one were to put heat sinks there, they'd either have to be small, or would require spacers to get the clearance above the taller passives.  My Compac's running a wee bit cooler with its shiny new heatsink on that side - but unlikely to be worth the bother on a large board vs getting better airflow.
legendary
I've got 3 that are usually 2-3 degrees apart, then the 2 new ones are more like 8 degrees apart. That seems a bit excessive.

I might break down this weekend and try redoing thermal compound on the 2 boards that are reading way higher than the other 2 in the same machines.

I DO wish they'd put temp sensors on the chips like Spondoolies did on the Rockerbox chips (SP20E etc.).
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

Gotcha. Isint it normal for them to be 6~degree apart? I never found out why, maybe its the positing of the chips. (Since it basically just report the temp of itself, not necessarily the actual temp of the chips on the board) depending on where the chip is placed, the temp is more or less truly representative.

So you say the 2 new old units are odd. Do you mean more so than other S5's?

Actually temp board are sometime different because of the temp sensor. The temp sensor is in the middle of the board and is not really accurate.
You can also repaste the thermal paste of the chip to drop the temp of the chip.
These chip are bottom heat so even if you but heatsink on top of it you will not see a big difference in temp.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Both  of these "used" S5s are running a bit odd - the "bottom of status screen" hash board runs 6-8 degrees cooler than the other of the same unit or than any of the other hash boards in ANY of my S5s when running at the same clock speed, the "top" board is kinda mid-range on temp compared to the boards in all my other S5s.
 Temps are running about the same on the S5 with the straight-blade heatsinks and the one with the older-style curved ones and they're both meeting specs easily though, once I got a couple configuration quibbles fixed (MY glitches, not theirs).

I got a call from FEDEX the day after they shipped about some sort of customs issue, but they apparently resolved it before I noticed the call - by the time I noticed I HAD a voicemail about the issue asking me to call them back, tracking on their web site showed that the units were already in Indianapolis (I think they have a major hub there, for similar reasons to why UPS put THEIR primary air shipping hub at Weir Cook / Indianapolis International a couple decades back).

Gotcha. Isint it normal for them to be 6~degree apart? I never found out why, maybe its the positing of the chips. (Since it basically just report the temp of itself, not necessarily the actual temp of the chips on the board) depending on where the chip is placed, the temp is more or less truly representative.

So you say the 2 new old units are odd. Do you mean more so than other S5's?
legendary
Both  of these "used" S5s are running a bit odd - the "bottom of status screen" hash board runs 6-8 degrees cooler than the other of the same unit or than any of the other hash boards in ANY of my S5s when running at the same clock speed, the "top" board is kinda mid-range on temp compared to the boards in all my other S5s.
 Temps are running about the same on the S5 with the straight-blade heatsinks and the one with the older-style curved ones and they're both meeting specs easily though, once I got a couple configuration quibbles fixed (MY glitches, not theirs).

I got a call from FEDEX the day after they shipped about some sort of customs issue, but they apparently resolved it before I noticed the call - by the time I noticed I HAD a voicemail about the issue asking me to call them back, tracking on their web site showed that the units were already in Indianapolis (I think they have a major hub there, for similar reasons to why UPS put THEIR primary air shipping hub at Weir Cook / Indianapolis International a couple decades back).
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners
Just got my pair of the used S5s - one of them has STRAIGHT BLADE heatsinks in it, the other the usual curved.

I wonder it Bitmain finally gave up on that curved sillyness....

Both of them were pretty clean, the shipment packaging was a little marginal but it worked, a couple of the HS blades were bent up on the bottom but that's pretty common and easy to fix....

I see, they work well performance wise? I am supposed to received mine tomorrow. For some reason, having to pay import tax for UPS is an "unexpected issue" and that delayed it to tomorrow or something. Well whatever.

I might try your pull the pin trick to get 100% fan at all time, maybe not, the melting issue is supposed to have been fixed and there's manual user control fan firmware out now. I will of course test that and also cut its internet to see how it reacts.

If i can keep the fan speed dialed down just a bit and it doesnt wind down when it lose connection, i might go for it.

Same here, had to pay $33 of tax... go figure
legendary
Just got my pair of the used S5s - one of them has STRAIGHT BLADE heatsinks in it, the other the usual curved.

Both of them were pretty clean, the shipment packaging was a little marginal but it worked, a couple of the HS blades were bent up on the bottom but that's pretty common and easy to fix....

I see, they work well performance wise? I am supposed to received mine tomorrow. For some reason, having to pay import tax for UPS is an "unexpected issue" and that delayed it to tomorrow or something. Well whatever.

I might try your pull the pin trick to get 100% fan at all time, maybe not, the melting issue is supposed to have been fixed and there's manual user control fan firmware out now. I will of course test that and also cut its internet to see how it reacts.

If i can keep the fan speed dialed down just a bit and it doesnt wind down when it lose connection, i might go for it.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
Antpool is shrinking in last few days.  I wonder if next gen miners will be coming online soon.

net hashrate has been steadily increasing, so something new is coming online.

Antpool hashrate is back to what it was before, let's see if it continues upwards from here.
legendary
Nope, I'm not in the "August 14" batch 7. I might have been in the August 5 one though, which would make them "not late" yet.
 (Edit - just got a 'shipped' email with my tracking number, not that I was worried about getting them - just when.)

Given my current sat Internet, I'd have to say that the "pull the PWM wire to set the fan to 100%" option was a VERY good thing for me - I've not had the fans kick out ever so far.

I'm not worrying about if the fans kick out if I have a power outage, oddly enough. 9-)
legendary
Not sold out, but VERY slow on shipping.
Good thing I'm still on high summer electric rate for another month or so or I'd be actively ticked off.
Looks like second hand S5s sold out. Waiting for some news from Bitmain.  Cool
nope not sold out yet still green here as of this posting.

It did sold out, when Rabinovich first posted. Now its green again but it appear to be a different batch (of batch 7). The previous one said august 5, this one says "Shipping starts from August 14th after receiving full payment". This is probably why QuintLeo find it slow on shipping.

I would like confirmation, did the latest S5 firmware fix the chip not going idle when the S5 lose internet connection? The fan would power down but not the chips.

Wondering if i should order those bimetal thermal thing or not.

It did but for some it had other side affects like hashing cut in half. or speed dropping to 900 GH .

The entire problem seems to be hit or miss.  I have had an S5 since batch 1.  

I have lost internet before to the unit and did not get this problem.   But others obviously did. I wish we could see what the differences are.  

That sound troublesome. These second hands are from Batch 7, it makes me wonder what bugs i'm going to get. =/
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I would like confirmation, did the latest S5 firmware fix the chip not going idle when the S5 lose internet connection? The fan would power down but not the chips.

It did but for some it had other side affects like hashing cut in half. or speed dropping to 900 GH .

The entire problem seems to be hit or miss.  I have had an S5 since batch 1. 

I have lost internet before to the unit and did not get this problem.   But others obviously did. I wish we could see what the differences are.   
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

legendary
Not sold out, but VERY slow on shipping.

Good thing I'm still on high summer electric rate for another month or so or I'd be actively ticked off.
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
Looks like second hand S5s sold out. Waiting for some news from Bitmain.  Cool

nope not sold out yet still green here as of this posting.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
Looks like second hand S5s sold out. Waiting for some news from Bitmain.  Cool
Maybe they just had to ready another pallet for shipping; August 5th shipping -> August 14th shipping.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
Looks like second hand S5s sold out. Waiting for some news from Bitmain.  Cool
legendary

Pages:
Jump to: