Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 77. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Hi Guys, please let me know if I've got the wrong idea...

The electricity tariff for my location works out at $0.08 / kWh providing my monthly usage does not exceed 2000 kWh

By my calculations, using an S5, I would be making on average $2-$3 per day, with less than half of that as electricity costs.

It sounds like a no-brainer to me....

I also realise I will need to purchase a Power Supply.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
nothing to do, I have nothing more to do, these fans are not compatible with miner S5, if any of you have these fans, TCF1212DE (DELTA) connected directly to the controller S5, can post a photo ?, thank you, so I see the wire colors of the fan, and if you have been reversed. Another question may be a firmware bug last? S5 ?, I do not know what more I have to think, other threads on this fan delta, say the model described above and find none.
give me the link of the discussion please that I do not find. thank you very much Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
black wire is red, I am in the same position (molex) I reversed only other two cables that have different colors from the original fan bitmain, yellow is blue, originally part of a maximum speed, and slowly lowers speeds, up to die , it stops and will not start. if remit the cables in place the fan runs at full speed without decreasing, virtually noise is too loud.

i have already told you as someone else have in the TWO other posts you posted about this fan..

if you maybe go and read those you will understand..

as for the S5.. I WOULD NOT PLUG TWO 4 AMP FANS INTO IT..  < made it all caps for you to understand.

as for your fan, that fan has an INVERTED PWM controller.. meaning if you just power on the fan by the red and black wires nothing happens..

if you plug one into a regular fan header, it will run very SLOWLY.. until it turns off.

black wire is red, I am in the same position (molex) I reversed only other two cables that have different colors from the original fan bitmain, yellow is blue, originally part of a maximum speed, and slowly lowers speeds, up to die , it stops and will not start. if remit the cables in place the fan runs at full speed without decreasing, virtually noise is too loud.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Well silverstone FHP-141 doesnt seem like an option for me. not enough airflow. guess ill put the stock fans (vacuums cleaners) back on. or i could just keep them as pull fans... might keep them as winter fans since I wont need as much airflow during that time... on a positive note; I bought antec Formula 7 nano diamond thermal compound. i bought it because one of my miners had a 15 degree difference in temps. like one blade would be 70c and the other would be 45. Now i can overclock and the temps are 1-2 degrees apart.

It's a good idea to keep them around for winter.  But for summer I would use the high RPM fan it comes with if your summer is hot like mine. 

Best of luck with your mining!
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
Well silverstone FHP-141 doesnt seem like an option for me. not enough airflow. guess ill put the stock fans (vacuums cleaners) back on. or i could just keep them as pull fans... might keep them as winter fans since I wont need as much airflow during that time... on a positive note; I bought antec Formula 7 nano diamond thermal compound. i bought it because one of my miners had a 15 degree difference in temps. like one blade would be 70c and the other would be 45. Now i can overclock and the temps are 1-2 degrees apart.
legendary
I have tried everything with my fans DELTA TFC1212DE, nothing to do, perhaps the S5 controller is not compatible, I noticed that if I connect only power the fan runs at full speed 5500 rpm, but too much noise, I tried to reverse the cables from molex, only one sensor, you noticed that part, but then slowly lowers speeds up to die, I do not know what to do, none of you has these fans delta connect directly to the controller S5? and if you work well? Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

When you say it run's at full speed if it connected direct to molex during?

A Delta TFC1212DE should be able to be used.  I would double check wires to make sure it's the same positions as old fan.   Does old fan work on the board or what caused the switch? (Just seeing if it was having same or different problem causing the getting new fan).
legendary
.... I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.

Should not be that hard to fabricate on your own .... just need to find out what thickness of the copper slab to get, slice some slots / channels in it and then split a few copper tubes to for the fins that are slid into the slots. All you are left to do is drilling tapped holes for attaching the PCB. I wonder how cost efficient it would be though for just a handful of units ..... ?

digging up an old post here.....anyone think copper foil/tape would transfer heat to the heat-sink more efficiently? just trying to think of inexpensive ways to cool these S5's down. a 6 yard roll of copper foil is 20$ on amazon....could put a layer of it on the aluminum heat sink then put on some good thermal compound. just brainstorming here.

My goal is to have much lower temps with a less noisy fan. trying to make this more "home miner" friendly so I can take these out of my garage.

I think the thin tape wouldn't move enough heat from the center of the IC.

It would not do much for the heat.  It just is a decent amount of heat being pumped out of there.  That is why it has a good RPM fan.

That being said if quiet is the goal like I mentioned 2 Corsair SP120 in push/pull.   Will be much quieter like night and day.  But if in a hot summer place I would still stick with the original high RPM fan.
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
I have tried everything with my fans DELTA TFC1212DE, nothing to do, perhaps the S5 controller is not compatible, I noticed that if I connect only power the fan runs at full speed 5500 rpm, but too much noise, I tried to reverse the cables from molex, only one sensor, you noticed that part, but then slowly lowers speeds up to die, I do not know what to do, none of you has these fans delta connect directly to the controller S5? and if you work well? Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

It would be nice if reversing the leads on brushless motor fans reversed the motor direction but no.
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
.... I wish a company made a copper option with heatpipes,  could make a huge difference for overclocking.

Should not be that hard to fabricate on your own .... just need to find out what thickness of the copper slab to get, slice some slots / channels in it and then split a few copper tubes to for the fins that are slid into the slots. All you are left to do is drilling tapped holes for attaching the PCB. I wonder how cost efficient it would be though for just a handful of units ..... ?

digging up an old post here.....anyone think copper foil/tape would transfer heat to the heat-sink more efficiently? just trying to think of inexpensive ways to cool these S5's down. a 6 yard roll of copper foil is 20$ on amazon....could put a layer of it on the aluminum heat sink then put on some good thermal compound. just brainstorming here.

My goal is to have much lower temps with a less noisy fan. trying to make this more "home miner" friendly so I can take these out of my garage.

I think the thin tape wouldn't move enough heat from the center of the IC.
Activity: 507
Merit: 500
While I expect this won't be popular, you can try "down clocking" your S5 to reduce it's power consumption, and therefore it's heat production. My thinking is that in the summer I'll down-clock my SP20, and push it up more in the winter, when the heat is useful. Adjust according to you locale.

Of course if you live near the equator, this advice is semi-worthless.

i thought of this too. 3 days ago it was 86 out where i live. the garage was HOT! had to underclock them a lot. Then the last 2 days have been mid to high 50's, these things are loving it. Does anyone know how low we can run these temperature wise? if i keep them in my garage this winter the temp goes to 0 degrees some days in January. anyone run these in that cold of temps?

I ran my C1 @ -5c outside (radiator) and the heat was enough to keep it from freezing, it stayed at 7c for most of the winter and didn't care...... I was a LITTLE worried about condensation... but It didn't kill anything...... I plan to heat my crawl space with 2 S4+s this winter and leave my vents open all winter on the back side of the house.......

I also know a guy who ran his FPGAs in his insulated Garage in Novia Scotia for the winter of 2012/13 and was happy....

REMEBER COLDER DOES NOT MEAN FASTER... COLDER MEANS MORE Headroom to OC.... AGAIN COLDER EVEN KEEPING THEM AT -100C will not make the chips run faster, it just means you can pump more Power I to it, or you can clock it faster.
While I expect this won't be popular, you can try "down clocking" your S5 to reduce it's power consumption, and therefore it's heat production. My thinking is that in the summer I'll down-clock my SP20, and push it up more in the winter, when the heat is useful. Adjust according to you locale.

i thought of this too. 3 days ago it was 86 out where i live. the garage was HOT! had to underclock them a lot. Then the last 2 days have been mid to high 50's, these things are loving it. Does anyone know how low we can run these temperature wise? if i keep them in my garage this winter the temp goes to 0 degrees some days in January. anyone run these in that cold of temps?
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052

legendary

digging up an old post here.....anyone think copper foil/tape would transfer heat to the heat-sink more efficiently? just trying to think of inexpensive ways to cool these S5's down. a 6 yard roll of copper foil is 20$ on amazon....could put a later of it on the aluminum heat sink then put on some good thermal compound. just brainstorming here.

I do not think with it being summer in most places foil will do enough.   If you want additional cooling you can add another fan to back.   It might make the noise level higher.

Depending on conditions there are not cheap but you could do a push/pull combo of Corsair SP120.  I would not recommend this in very hot summer areas I would suggest keeping the higher RPM fan.

Activity: 507
Merit: 500
anyone know if you can plug in a 3-pin fan into the S5 controller? i know it has 4 pin connector. but does the 3-pin fit? was gonna buy this delta fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213005

44dba 120cfm

Why don't you get a 4 pin fan? And I don't think 120cfm is enough

I would agree get 4 pin and make your life easy.  No need to get 3 pin.

But here are some 4 pin fan's that Bitmain made a list for S4, but they should work with S5 I believe. - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199879-Antminer-S4-fan-specification-and-possible-replacement-fans

So the fan they put in the S4 is 56dba? not sure how that could be the same fan that is in the S5. since its about 78dba 3 feet away.

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific look at the higher RPM fan's there such as the Delta PFC1212DE or the Sanyo Denki SunAce 120 9GV1212P1J091.

I have one of the Sanyo Denki SunAce 120 9GV1212P1J091 they are not quiet if that is your goal.  But it does put out a lot of air with it's high RPM's. And is a tad cheaper then the deltas.  I'm sure deltas are better quality though.

I have similar Deltas  I think PFB1212UHE-F00 for 3 years now... I can tell you they are rock solid and run 24/7/365 in my Case in a push/push set up on my Corsair H100
legendary
anyone know if you can plug in a 3-pin fan into the S5 controller? i know it has 4 pin connector. but does the 3-pin fit? was gonna buy this delta fan.

44dba 120cfm

But here are some 4 pin fan's that Bitmain made a list for S4, but they should work with S5 I believe. - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199879-Antminer-S4-fan-specification-and-possible-replacement-fans

So the fan they put in the S4 is 56dba? not sure how that could be the same fan that is in the S5. since its about 78dba 3 feet away.

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific look at the higher RPM fan's there such as the Delta PFC1212DE or the Sanyo Denki SunAce 120 9GV1212P1J091.

I have one of the Sanyo Denki SunAce 120 9GV1212P1J091 they are not quiet if that is your goal.  But it does put out a lot of air with it's high RPM's. And is a tad cheaper then the deltas.  I'm sure deltas are better quality though.

44dba 120cfm

Pages:
Jump to: