Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 82. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10
Wow these heatsinks are awesome! at least some update on the S5  Grin

Indeed!  I'm glad to see Bitmain trying to cool off and improve the S5.  Thank you Bitmain.

I would also be curious see some real world temp difference, reported in the GUI and with a laser thermometer (rather than some guesses).

Thank you Vorta for watching and making the post, which great pics no less.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

They do look very nice.  I'm curious someone with new heatsink can you post your normal temps?  Does it seem to keep it under the 50C mark consistently?

Thanks to anyone who does it!

It will be reducing chip temps but it might not be reflected in the readings due to that temp sensor reading a generic PCB temp.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

They do look very nice.  I'm curious someone with new heatsink can you post your normal temps?  Does it seem to keep it under the 50C mark consistently?

Thanks to anyone who does it!
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
A week ago my second S5 arrived. I've ordered it from batch 5 exactly 1 month after my first S5 (which is also from batch 5). The new S5, however, was different. It was better! I haven't seen photos of it anywhere yet, so I've decided to post mine here.

First, the outside look:

http://www.pohrani.com/f/2X/p4/aYARnBz/dsc5280.jpg

Exactly the same as any other S5. But, when we turn it around and remove the plastic side panels we uncover this:

http://www.pohrani.com/f/n/z7/1cTN4zbK/dsc5282.jpg

Very cool, perfectly sized heatsinks outside of the hashboard. Don't know what kind of adhesive they used and how good it transfers heat, but it is definitely an improvement over my first S5, which doesn't have these heatsinks. My both miners have the same version of hashboards - v1.91.

For some reason both hashboards have 2 exactly the same chips without extra heatsinks:

http://www.pohrani.com/f/W/Y0/tcxvaFq/dsc5291.jpg

The inside heatsinks have been cut in a little bit different way as well. They no longer feature 6mm gap between them the whole way for cold air to just run through the miner. The gap exists only at the ends of the heatsinks. This results in much better cooling efficiency. I haven't taken a photo of that yet, but I might do one for comparison.

I've already modded both of the miners and will write a thread about that today.
Activity: 10
When you go to 20nm process technology?
TSMC is taking orders at affordable prices since 2014.

I expect you'll get the answer to this question then Bitmain announces a new generation of ASIC, not just a repackaging like the S4+.

You might find that Bitmain has a different view of what constitutes "affordable" than you do.

1) Development of topology ASIC
2) Production of masks for photolithography
3) Protection of intellectual property

For the entire set - 160-200k ..
You can haggle ( looking where to place an order ) .

I think for BITMAIN this problem is solved.
legendary
Is there a s5 or s4+ coupon campaign going on?

Do not believe so.  It has been a while since last coupon campaign.   They seem to be using for compensation if price was lowered or other things last I remember any being mentioned.

They were at one time blasting out the coupons, but it seems they have moved away from that model of sales.  It was a nice perk for return customers.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013
Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC
Is there a s5 or s4+ coupon campaign going on?
dec
Activity: 17

They have a great team, but make sure to get green light from them before doing the check.

Yes they do, had/have same problem on one of S5, also had same attitude that i can tolerate half board hashing (butt hurted with BFL, bitch slapped with KNC) but when i found out that service center is in my country (not to mention that it is in my town) i was jumping to the ceiling.

One week after contacting support beautiful cheerful mythical creature named Bitmain_D appeared on my doorstep with new board and big smile, we swapped boards in matter of minutes and rest of evening spent singing ode to Bitmain.

Best mining experience ever, good job Bitmain (try to keep next gen cooler)

dec

They really do have a great support team.  Glad to hear it worked out so well for you.   I know they have a US and China support team.  

You can even call and talk to a real person that blew me away when I had a bad S3 controller board (powered off during firmware update and bricked).  The were amazing service and very quick on getting new part to me.  It was out of warranty so I paid for new one.  I'm honestly surprised we don't see more "happy stories" with their support.

Well, people like to spread FUD, but they don`t realize that kind words will unlock an iron door. I would also like to see more happy stories here
legendary

They have a great team, but make sure to get green light from them before doing the check.

Yes they do, had/have same problem on one of S5, also had same attitude that i can tolerate half board hashing (butt hurted with BFL, bitch slapped with KNC) but when i found out that service center is in my country (not to mention that it is in my town) i was jumping to the ceiling.

One week after contacting support beautiful cheerful mythical creature named Bitmain_D appeared on my doorstep with new board and big smile, we swapped boards in matter of minutes and rest of evening spent singing ode to Bitmain.

dec

They really do have a great support team.  Glad to hear it worked out so well for you.   I know they have a US and China support team.  

You can even call and talk to a real person that blew me away when I had a bad S3 controller board (powered off during firmware update and bricked).  The were amazing service and very quick on getting new part to me.  It was out of warranty so I paid for new one.  I'm honestly surprised we don't see more "happy stories" with their support.
dec
Activity: 17

dec
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Went to check speeds tonight, saw this on one of the miners:

Rebooting doesn't change it, what are the troubleshooting steps to take from here?

1) The loss of the temp sensor suggests it may be do with either power into the board (all), or its cables to the controller.
2) But the lack of mining on the other suggests the controller
3) Put it on its own PSU, so the Evga 1300 temporarily.
4) Put it on BTCGuild for now.
5) Try swapping ports the board connects to on the controller
6) Then try swapping a cable from a known working miner and see if the problem moves.
7) PM me your order number so I can check warranty status please.

That should be enough for now.

Thanks Dogie, I'll try those things tomorrow.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

Rebooting doesn't change it, what are the troubleshooting steps to take from here?

1) The loss of the temp sensor suggests it may be do with either power into the board (all), or its cables to the controller.
2) But the lack of mining on the other suggests the controller
3) Put it on its own PSU, so the Evga 1300 temporarily.
4) Put it on BTCGuild for now.
5) Try swapping ports the board connects to on the controller
6) Then try swapping a cable from a known working miner and see if the problem moves.
7) PM me your order number so I can check warranty status please.

That should be enough for now.
legendary
It was around 62-65C when I found miner. If it was getting into the 70C range I would have backed frequency back down.

Part of me wishes to believe that it is a thermal issue with temperatures running 42C and 43C at 200M, however when frequency is at 250M-300M temperatures are right at 50C with numerous HW issues.
That makes me think something else is wrong.

I can tolerate it hashing at 650GH/S with lower power consumption, but it is definitely not preferred.
I guess next question is does checking thermal paste void warranty (if not already voided) and any other thoughts as to what to check besides thermal paste.

I would definitely contact bitmain support before checking thermal paste.  If you are within warranty window definitely work with them.

I imagine they will have you look at this article to - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203559969-My-S5-hashes-at-about-600GH-S

Activity: 2
It was around 62-65C when I found miner. If it was getting into the 70C range I would have backed frequency back down.

Part of me wishes to believe that it is a thermal issue with temperatures running 42C and 43C at 200M, however when frequency is at 250M-300M temperatures are right at 50C with numerous HW issues.
That makes me think something else is wrong.

I can tolerate it hashing at 650GH/S with lower power consumption, but it is definitely not preferred.
I guess next question is does checking thermal paste void warranty (if not already voided) and any other thoughts as to what to check besides thermal paste.

Has anyone used NiceHashe's custom firmware for the S5s? I know it runs a newer version of cgminer that the latest Bitmain one. Wonder if there are any advantages/GUI updates with the nicehash one.

Also what  they typical HW error rate or these? Im getting .1% on one and .003% on the other. Even though they are both really low one still produces almost a 1000x extra hardware errors.

I run it on 6 of mine, overall it works great, you get good speeds and you get access to graphs that smit put in place.

whats speeds are you getting per s5?

Depends on the pool.

Kano.is gives me the most consistent speeds, always 1120 - 1180

nicehash it varies wildly, but seems to average out around 1030 over 6 miners.  Not a huge sample, but still ok.
legendary
I have an issue with one of my S5's that has ran the modified cgminer 4.9 firmware and been overclocked to 375M for around 2 months. (Other is doing very well but underclocked now)
It had numerous hw errors when I checked it (like 50%) and seemed to be not hashing at all a few days ago. It is in a utility closet in the garage, but temps stayed within 50-60c range 95% of time.

I have troubleshooted the problem and right now I am running at 200M stable (with a reboot as I write). As far as I can tell it is not just isolated to one board as both seem to having same issues, when I bump frequency up of more hardware errors,instability,no hashing etc.

So far I have changed power supplies, changed pools, ran stock bitmain firmware, reseated all cables, and looked for noticeable signs of heat damage.

I am thinking of breaking down board and checking thermal paste next, but wanted to get some responses as to the next logical steps... (Will probably have no luck with warranty)

How hot was it showing on temperature?  If my math is working that is around 7 percent OC.  So does not sound horrible from that side.

Checking thermal paste is not a bad idea if out of warranty.   As far as warranty you need to have purchased it direct from bitmain and be within 90 day's of purchase.
Activity: 2
I have an issue with one of my S5's that has ran the modified cgminer 4.9 firmware and been overclocked to 375M for around 2 months. (Other is doing very well but underclocked now)
It had numerous hw errors when I checked it (like 50%) and seemed to be not hashing at all a few days ago. It is in a utility closet in the garage, but temps stayed within 50-60c range 95% of time.

I have troubleshooted the problem and right now I am running at 200M stable (with a reboot as I write). As far as I can tell it is not just isolated to one board as both seem to having same issues, when I bump frequency up of more hardware errors,instability,no hashing etc.

So far I have changed power supplies, changed pools, ran stock bitmain firmware, reseated all cables, and looked for noticeable signs of heat damage.

I am thinking of breaking down board and checking thermal paste next, but wanted to get some responses as to the next logical steps... (Will probably have no luck with warranty)

legendary
Smit did a very good job with firmware and I thank him for it, but keep in mind it is a unofficial firmware. 

If it works, than what's the difference? Guarantee period is not 1 or 3 years anyway.

Only difference is if you are under warranty I believe.  After 90 day's there is not a reason you could not use it in my opinion.

I think he did a great job, in no way am I taking away from his work.
Pages:
Jump to: