Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 97. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
I have several of those S5's and I'm experiencing a huge difference in power consumption.

S5 running at 350M = 630W

Why am I not getting the 590W with the default frequency of 350M?

I'm using EVGA G2 750W power supply. Measuring power using a Kill A Watt.

is this after the psu? i think the 590 is on the 12v line.

you have to also factor in the psu efficiency..  on a 750w psu you are at like 85% and most psu are most efficient at 50-60%
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
I have several of those S5's and I'm experiencing a huge difference in power consumption.

S5 running at 350M = 630W

Why am I not getting the 590W with the default frequency of 350M?

I'm using EVGA G2 750W power supply. Measuring power using a Kill A Watt.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Odd problem with my S5 just started.

I haven't really used this S5 for about a month as I'm more into Spondoolies, but I fired up two of them.

One works fine, the other I can connect to, so it's on the LAN, check the pool setup, even flashed the newest firmware per today, but no matter what, it will not hash. It just keeps increasing the 'Rejected' #'s slowly.

I reset it to factory settings, no difference. Anyone have something like this happen before?

What pool are you mining to?  With all rejects it reminds me of what some devices do with pools such as nicehash.

Well, I'll be. I removed westhash and it works fine now. WTH? Works fine on the other s5. Same firmware, exact pool settings, etc..

Thanks for the idea.

That is the problem with some miners with westhash.  I have the Thu Dec 18 20:21:28 CST 2014 firmware on my S5.   It seems to work with westhash.

Smit makes a special firmware for nicehash/westhash.   It is not an official firmware though.  I have ran it on my S4's an C1's, but with S5 I'm not brave enough as it's firmware is not running off SD card.

You could always use a proxy on a pc aswell, and use that to connect to westhash.  Then you mine to your proxy.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
A random observation:
1. It seems that upon loss of internet connection, S5 sometimes latches on a funky state: fan is not spinning or spinning minimally, but temperature is rising.
2. We had intermittant comcast problems in the last few days, so i observed it on a few occasions.
3. I felt that air coming out was very hot, and upon restarting the miner by PSU, miner reported 0 hashing, but temperatures of above 80 degrees at the sensor, so i had to switch it off for 10-20 min, then it worked as it should.

I believe that someone described something similar before.
The solution should be in software, which should maintain fan speed at a certain (closer to high) speed until internet connection is reestablished.

The fact is that the S5 miner does not fully switch itself off on internet drop or, at least, does not maintain fan speed long enough to coool the machine after internet dropoff.

I mentioned this exact same thing happened to me before. Maybe 3 weeks ago or so in this thread. Even a couple others mentioned the same thing and had screen shots showing over 80 degrees, which shouldn't even happen if the shutdown is 80. All my rigs stopped because of a sporadic internet connection. Miners fans stopped and they all turned into little heaters, getting hotter and hotter. All I needed to do was put my hand or face near one of them and felt the heat spewing off. Thank god I was home to power them off or all my rigs would have over heated. I mentioned and tried to bring this up but nothing came about because I had no "proof" it seems. This happened to me twice on all 6 of my S5's and both times I was lucky enough to be home and power off.

I've also seen this.  Last weekend while doing network changes I was off the internet for about an hour.  10 minutes in all of my s5s started either maxing fans or the fans shut down, but the heat kept going up.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....

I haven't really used this S5 for about a month as I'm more into Spondoolies, but I fired up two of them.

One works fine, the other I can connect to, so it's on the LAN, check the pool setup, even flashed the newest firmware per today, but no matter what, it will not hash. It just keeps increasing the 'Rejected' #'s slowly.

I reset it to factory settings, no difference. Anyone have something like this happen before?

What pool are you mining to?  With all rejects it reminds me of what some devices do with pools such as nicehash.

Well, I'll be. I removed westhash and it works fine now. WTH? Works fine on the other s5. Same firmware, exact pool settings, etc..

Thanks for the idea.
legendary

legendary
Go Big or Go Home.....

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
Even a couple others mentioned the same thing and had screen shots showing over 80 degrees, which shouldn't even happen if the shutdown is 80.

I'm one of the others that this happened to.  Two of my miners lost internet and the temps rose to over 100C.  The same symptom: very slow fan and lots of heat.

I completely agree it should be a software fix.  It is too bad that it hasn't been a priority.  I'm glad some others have not had this problem (as mentioned when I posted about my problem).  But at least some of are having this problem.  I was able to consistently duplicate it.

Sorry this happened to someone else.  Thank you for bringing it up, so hopefully  Smiley Bitmain Smiley will fix it.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Might have to resort to hooking up the fan(s) directly to the power supply for safety. This way if the lan goes down the fan(s) will still be running, no overheat problem. With the S5's open design, easy as pie. Those Delta 253CFM fans are pretty much always on max anyways. lol

It sounds like a firmware glitch to me. I think what happens is once the S5 detects no Connection it just shuts the fans down but the miner is still hashing even though it says its not in the miner status page. IT sounds like The only logical answer. Things don't heat up like that not unless there are still running. And with no fan.

I am a disabled engineer I am going to try to pull out all my lab bench equipment to verify this theory. I have to climb into my attic its hard for me.

legendary
Go Big or Go Home.....
Might have to resort to hooking up the fan(s) directly to the power supply for safety. This way if the lan goes down the fan(s) will still be running, no overheat problem. With the S5's open design, easy as pie. Those Delta 253CFM fans are pretty much always on max anyways. lol
legendary
Activity: 1736
A random observation:
1. It seems that upon loss of internet connection, S5 sometimes latches on a funky state: fan is not spinning or spinning minimally, but temperature is rising.
2. We had intermittant comcast problems in the last few days, so i observed it on a few occasions.
3. I felt that air coming out was very hot, and upon restarting the miner by PSU, miner reported 0 hashing, but temperatures of above 80 degrees at the sensor, so i had to switch it off for 10-20 min, then it worked as it should.

The solution should be in software, which should maintain fan speed at a certain (closer to high) speed until internet connection is reestablished.

The fact is that the S5 miner does not fully switch itself off on internet drop or, at least, does not maintain fan speed long enough to coool the machine after internet dropoff.
yes these do have a problem.. just tested it..
i unplugged the internet.. not the cat5 but actually unplugged the internet cable.. so the router was still ON..
it took almost 3 minutes before the s5 realized the internet was down, it started beeping and the fans shut off..

after a minute my miner was at 65c.. i shut it off because i dont want anything to blow up.

my normal temp on the s5 is 46-48 so 65 is way above normal.

its been stated before, even had a screen shot.. but i guess its not high on the to do list to fix.
Activity: 818
May I ask what voltage the fried caps are suppose to see?  And these are in series across the voltage supplied to each ASIC?  So, the 12vdc from the power supply is divided equally across the ASICs?  This is what I took away from the series ASICs description.

Are those who are seeing the blown caps using the power supply adapter having a resistor or just using the paperclip jumper?  I ask because KnC had a similar problem of blown caps and I theorized the motherboard actually on the plug allowed a different rise time on the voltages, e.g. without the mb and a paperclip instead, a ramp for the max current didn't ramp instead jumped to full with the result of a turn-on voltage spike - sometimes.

Yes, the voltage across those caps should be around 0.8 to 0.9 volts.

Actually, Biodom's and opentoe's observations may be related. The datacenter in which these machines were operating was having networking trouble and high temperatures while these S5s were there.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078
A random observation:

I mentioned this exact same thing happened to me before. Maybe 3 weeks ago or so in this thread. Even a couple others mentioned the same thing and had screen shots showing over 80 degrees, which shouldn't even happen if the shutdown is 80. All my rigs stopped because of a sporadic internet connection. Miners fans stopped and they all turned into little heaters, getting hotter and hotter. All I needed to do was put my hand or face near one of them and felt the heat spewing off. Thank god I was home to power them off or all my rigs would have over heated. I mentioned and tried to bring this up but nothing came about because I had no "proof" it seems. This happened to me twice on all 6 of my S5's and both times I was lucky enough to be home and power off.

I concur. This may be an intermittent situation, but it is not what supposed to happen.
The solution is quite simple: put a string of code that tells S5 to continue to rotate fan at the same/high speed for 2-3 min after internet disconnect AND do not attempt any mining.
i hate to make a direct comparison, but it is exactly what cough-oolies-cough miner does.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Personal text my ass....

are two days that restart my s5, bought from 1 week, and this morning the result is what you see in the picture. What should I do now with bitmainwarranty?

That looks to be the same symptoms we have with the miners we are investigating. I suggest taking of the plastic sides and looking at the hashboards for damage to the G337 V2 capacitors. Look for cracked packages or signs of smoke exhaust. Your issue is probably different, but this is easy enough to check for.

J4bberwock, thanks for the lead. These do indeed appear to be capacitors with a 2V withstand voltage. I'm surprised that capacitors were damaged like this. I thought the component would be something that generates heat itself. Curious.

May I ask what voltage the fried caps are suppose to see?  And these are in series across the voltage supplied to each ASIC?  So, the 12vdc from the power supply is divided equally across the ASICs?  This is what I took away from the series ASICs description.

Are those who are seeing the blown caps using the power supply adapter having a resistor or just using the paperclip jumper?  I ask because KnC had a similar problem of blown caps and I theorized the motherboard actually on the plug allowed a different rise time on the voltages, e.g. without the mb and a paperclip instead, a ramp for the max current didn't ramp instead jumped to full with the result of a turn-on voltage spike - sometimes.

I would bet most here just have a paper clip or EVGA has it's little "tester" which is basically the same thing as the paperclip. No resistance at all.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Personal text my ass....
A random observation:

soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

are two days that restart my s5, bought from 1 week, and this morning the result is what you see in the picture. What should I do now with bitmainwarranty?

That looks to be the same symptoms we have with the miners we are investigating. I suggest taking of the plastic sides and looking at the hashboards for damage to the G337 V2 capacitors. Look for cracked packages or signs of smoke exhaust. Your issue is probably different, but this is easy enough to check for.

J4bberwock, thanks for the lead. These do indeed appear to be capacitors with a 2V withstand voltage. I'm surprised that capacitors were damaged like this. I thought the component would be something that generates heat itself. Curious.

donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
The Capacitor you were asking is 2V and 330uf.

@notlist3d, thank you for mentioning, yes, if you are in trouble, please call +1-844-248-6246 or [email protected] .  In the future we will try to bridge Skype Audio call to this telephone number as well.  Soon Ukraine telephone number for Russian Language be LIVE and EU area phone number to be Live again.

legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078
A random observation:

legendary

Bitmain warrenty has a nice website for support.  Also they have phone numbers depending on where you are.   

I would get in a support ticket/call and see what they think.  I would guess they will want to try uploading a firmware to make sure it's not software.  If it happens again and cables are good I would guess they will look at blade next.

They were very good when I needed to use them.
Activity: 818

Pages:
Jump to: