Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 125. (Read 527798 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
Wow, just saw the next difficulty jump in 3.1 days based on https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator  !!  31% jump and our S7 will be bringing in less than $150/month after Electricity, this makes the $990 price for the S7 batch 9 which on the surface seems like a good deal but in reality, it's hardly a bargain.  Definitely hurts the resell value on all the other S7 batches.  That is an incredible steep jump with many more to come.  I hope difficulty rate steady or slow down a bit, mining is too fun but it have to be practical for us to continue.

Next difficulty retarget occurs at block 391103.0 (eta 3.1 days): 1.2265138042e+11 / +31.3% [est.]

that's way off

for the 30% jump to happen you would need to solve the remaining 600 blocks all at once

10-15% is likely though

This is going based off of this Bitcoin ROI calculator.  They are predicting the jump will occur within 3.1 days.  I have 3 Batch 9 S7 on order and was getting ready to pull the trigger for another Batch 9 once my Power is upgraded until I saw this.  Where are you getting the 10-15% number from?  

https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator

That is not a good source- here is a more realistic link:
https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Wow, just saw the next difficulty jump in 3.1 days based on https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator  !!  31% jump and our S7 will be bringing in less than $150/month after Electricity, this makes the $990 price for the S7 batch 9 which on the surface seems like a good deal but in reality, it's hardly a bargain.  Definitely hurts the resell value on all the other S7 batches.  That is an incredible steep jump with many more to come.  I hope difficulty rate steady or slow down a bit, mining is too fun but it have to be practical for us to continue.

Next difficulty retarget occurs at block 391103.0 (eta 3.1 days): 1.2265138042e+11 / +31.3% [est.]

that's way off

for the 30% jump to happen you would need to solve the remaining 600 blocks all at once

10-15% is likely though

This is going based off of this Bitcoin ROI calculator.  They are predicting the jump will occur within 3.1 days.  I have 3 Batch 9 S7 on order and was getting ready to pull the trigger for another Batch 9 once my Power is upgraded until I saw this.  Where are you getting the 10-15% number from?  

https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator
Activity: 532
Merit: 302
Wow, just saw the next difficulty jump in 3.1 days based on https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator  !!  31% jump and our S7 will be bringing in less than $150/month after Electricity, this makes the $990 price for the S7 batch 9 which on the surface seems like a good deal but in reality, it's hardly a bargain.  Definitely hurts the resell value on all the other S7 batches.  That is an incredible steep jump with many more to come.  I hope difficulty rate steady or slow down a bit, mining is too fun but it have to be practical for us to continue.

that's way off

10-15% is likely though
Activity: 196
Wow, just saw the next difficulty jump in 3.1 days based on https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator  !!  31% jump and our S7 will be bringing in less than $150/month after Electricity, this makes the $990 price for the S7 batch 9 which on the surface seems like a good deal but in reality, it's hardly a bargain.  Definitely hurts the resell value on all the other S7 batches.  That is an incredible steep jump with many more to come.  I hope difficulty rate steady or slow down a bit, mining is too fun but it have to be practical for us to continue.

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
wire capacity guide shows that 20 gauge wire can handle 8AX12V=96W 7.5Ax12V=90W PER WIRE and there are TWO carrying wires in PCIE connector, so even 20 gauge PCIE can handle 192W 180W max in total. Since 120 (lower batch)-150 (higher power batch) is less than 192W, i don't see much of a danger, unless this guide is wrong:
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm

I would advise completely ignoring that Site, it may contain some correct information, however a lot of it is either misguided, misleading or just plain wrong...

Rich

this is less helpful without providing an alternative source that is more accurate.
Here is another one:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html

this one says 6A per 20 awg wire and 9.5A per 18 gauge wire IF they are single core; 5A and 7A respectively for 3 core wires of 20 and 18 gauge.
Conservatively, 5AX12VX3(number of wires to PCIe, see below)=180W max wire carrying capacity for PCIe with 3-core 20 gauge wires and 7AX12VX3=252W maximum carrying capacity for 18 gauge when it is deprecated to 3-core, more if a single core.
Whether it will work will depend on the quality of connector itself, though, but wires should handle these loads according to the second citation posted above.

check also this..look at the note-most PSU provide 3 wire (+12V) connections to 6 pin PCIe, although only two are specified in the initial PCIe description:
http://www.overclock.net/a/gpu-and-cpu-power-connections
Activity: 924
Merit: 500
I threw this old psu cable on an s5 about 2 months ago and will never use any small or cheap cables again.  I had a couple of S5's that I thought I would just throw online with a couple of leftover PSU'S and damn near started a fire.

sorry, but this does not even look like 6-prong PCIE connector (it got eight wires coming in). What is that plastic thing to the left? It would have prevented good contacts if it supposed to be a 6 pin. If it is the part (8 pin) connecting to PSU, OK, if it was connected to the proper place on the PSU.
One possibility is that you connected a 8 pin connector to six pins in the receptacle, since i see three burned off pins and a fourth that is still there (not burned).
Is this possible?

That said, a good example of potential dangers, thanks.

That is the end that connects to the PSU and it is a 6 pin on the other end that went to the miner.  No, I did not hook it to the wrong slot, as an 8 pin couldn't even be wedged into a 6 pin slot.  Wink

I have the same issue on my Silverstone 1500W PSU, it is poor quality of connector, not cable!
legendary
aka "whocares"
I threw this old psu cable on an s5 about 2 months ago and will never use any small or cheap cables again.  I had a couple of S5's that I thought I would just throw online with a couple of leftover PSU'S and damn near started a fire.

sorry, but this does not even look like 6-prong PCIE connector (it got eight wires coming in). What is that plastic thing to the left? It would have prevented good contacts if it supposed to be a 6 pin. If it is the part (8 pin) connecting to PSU, OK, if it was connected to the proper place on the PSU.
One possibility is that you connected a 8 pin connector to six pins in the receptacle, since i see three burned off pins and a fourth that is still there (not burned).
Is this possible?

That is the end that connects to the PSU and it is a 6 pin on the other end that went to the miner.  No, I did not hook it to the wrong slot, as an 8 pin couldn't even be wedged into a 6 pin slot.  Wink
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
how are coupons being given out?  If I had one, i might pick up some more machines.  Are they giving them to people who already bought them?

They were given out for issues compensation, but i have not seen any for sale for a while. The price a S7 would be with a coupon make it attractive right now, but i can't find one, so i guess i can also wait 2 weeks for the price to drop 100-200$ again.

but do you think bitmain respects its customers?
1) ask to save on transportation and say no
2) ask to declare a low price for customs, and say no
3) ask to have a coupon because you spent a lot more, and they say no
4) let me understand why you defend so much bitmain? it seems to me that you pay it right? I had to get my miner before New Year's, they still do not have confirmed the order.
They have just sent 3 x psu and receive them on Jan. 5, 2016, so I suppose the 3x S7 receive them after 10 January 2016. I might as well wait for the batch 9 and was paying $ 994 x miner.
this is a scam. and yet you defend bitmain? let me pleasure please stop dreaming with your eyes open, because we are all of us that we buy from bitmain and pay them handsomely, not them to do us a favor. so let's have our rights
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
wire capacity guide shows that 20 gauge wire can handle 8AX12V=96W 7.5Ax12V=90W PER WIRE and there are TWO carrying wires in PCIE connector, so even 20 gauge PCIE can handle 192W 180W max in total. Since 120 (lower batch)-150 (higher power batch) is less than 192W, i don't see much of a danger, unless this guide is wrong:

I would advise completely ignoring that Site, it may contain some correct information, however a lot of it is either misguided, misleading or just plain wrong...

Rich
legendary

Is this possible?

legendary
aka "whocares"

legendary
^that page says 20A for 16awg/12V (or 60A for a 6-wire PCIE connector, ~720A) which is just totally insane.

I sell quality 16awg cables and they start to be warm at >250W. at >300W they need airflow to keep for getting too hot. I haven't tried them past 320W, but I imagine they would become concerningly hot and/or begin to fail at >350W

Anecdotal evidence across these forums show that cable fires and failures in 18awg psus are common when loading >200W, and that 16awg generally does not push past 300W gracefully (such as for KnC devices)

I think that only two yellow (maybe three-PCIE wiki description is weird) lines carry the current, not six (black wires are ground), so 2X20=40A for 16awg, so theoretical 480W (wasn't that what KNC did?)

I disagree about common failure of 18awg at >200. The Corsair CX 750 has just two double headed PCIe cables, no more than 18awg.
I am not aware of any consistent failures of this PSU cables when running S5, which was ~600W, so ~300W/cable and ~150W/head.
To my knowledge, people run this miner for months in this configuration. Yes, cable got somewhat warm, but did not exceed ~45C.
Optimally, cables were getting (should be getting) some airflow.

That said, more the better, i will not argue this, and quality is paramount, of course.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
^that page says 20A for 16awg/12V (or 60A for a 6-wire PCIE connector, ~720A) which is just totally insane.

I sell quality 16awg cables and they start to be warm at >250W. at >300W they need airflow to keep for getting too hot. I haven't tried them past 320W, but I imagine they would become concerningly hot and/or begin to fail at >350W

Anecdotal evidence across these forums show that cable fires and failures in 18awg psus are common when loading >200W, and that 16awg generally does not push past 300W gracefully (such as for KnC devices)
legendary
For those people needing a way to add an additional PCIe power cable, this might do the trick and is probably better than the PCIe splitter most are familiar with if you have an available CPU power port on the PS.  EPS to PCIe power adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3KH9E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

it is 18 gauge so it should work.  I think you may want to check the pcie with a meter for polarity  and if it is good.  use it on the controller as that uses the least power.

Im always very cautious around 18awg since its not always 'ideal' quality.  Good 18awg wire could probably handle 140W-180W on that connector. Less with he sheathed wire (reduced airflow).

which is why pointing it to the controller is the best way to use it. (controller should be under 75 watts at all times)

using it on a pcie that goes to a blade is a little risky (ie builder lies and uses 20 or 22 Awg not 18 awg)

People always say that, and it is good to be conservative, but on S7 each connector is just 150w max usage per connector.
I usually use 18 gauge PCIE extenders, but one time could not get them in time, so had to go to microcenter and the only connectors there were Athena, which are 20 gauge. As a result, I used them temporarily on a lower power batch (1160w, so ~120w/connector) and even that was fine, the wires were not hot and connectors were not hot either, max temp ~42C with a lazer probe. I wouldn't use that on a higher power units, but theoretically you can, see below.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
For those people needing a way to add an additional PCIe power cable, this might do the trick and is probably better than the PCIe splitter most are familiar with if you have an available CPU power port on the PS.  EPS to PCIe power adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3KH9E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

it is 18 gauge so it should work.  I think you may want to check the pcie with a meter for polarity  and if it is good.  use it on the controller as that uses the least power.

Im always very cautious around 18awg since its not always 'ideal' quality.  Good 18awg wire could probably handle 140W-180W on that connector. Less with he sheathed wire (reduced airflow).

which is why pointing it to the controller is the best way to use it. (controller should be under 75 watts at all times)

using it on a pcie that goes to a blade is a little risky (ie builder lies and uses 20 or 22 Awg not 18 awg)
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe

it is 18 gauge so it should work.  I think you may want to check the pcie with a meter for polarity  and if it is good.  use it on the controller as that uses the least power.

Im always very cautious around 18awg since its not always 'ideal' quality.  Good 18awg wire could probably handle 140W-180W on that connector. Less with he sheathed wire (reduced airflow).
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
how are coupons being given out?  If I had one, i might pick up some more machines.  Are they giving them to people who already bought them?

They were given out for issues compensation, but i have not seen any for sale for a while. The price a S7 would be with a coupon make it attractive right now, but i can't find one, so i guess i can also wait 2 weeks for the price to drop 100-200$ again.

I believe $150 off coupons were issued to early B8 buyers because off price drop.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

Activity: 818
Merit: 508
Activity: 201
Anyone have a coupon they wanna part with?
Jump to: