Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 232. (Read 527809 times)

Activity: 163
Merit: 0
Hey, guys,
I stopped mining bitcoins long time ago when everybody switched from videocards to fpgas. So I was out of the loop for a long time. Recently I decided to dig back in and after days of reading forums and analytics I have one question left to make sure that I understand the situation before buying an asic:

Is it true that the main problem in mining is efficiency and electricity costs that eat up to 60% of the profit(depending on the prices in your region)?
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Anybody using 3 PSU's to power one of these?
I use 3 corsair rm1000 to power 2
I would use 3 750's
Don't go cheap.

Well I have a number of corsair 750's, I also have an EVGA 1200 so I could use that plus one of the corsairs or 3 corsairs.  The only thing is that I am pretty sure I have enough 750's sitting on the shelf and the EVGA is being used to power 2 S5's.  So I can go with three 750's without shuffling anything so I was just curious if anyone else is already doing that and wondering how well it was working out.

I took the plunge and ordered a Batch 5 for 4.222BTC.  I may get another if the price of BTC goes up some more and the rest of my transactions confirm.  I sent a number of transactions probably 10 or more hours ago now and a little less than half of them haven't ever been picked up.  I lucked out that the BTC I sent to bitmain for the miner did get picked up in the very next block.  The unconfirmed transaction queue on the network hit 12k earlier today.  Sitting around 6k now.
The three 750's should be great. Hash boards use 400 watts and you don't want to run more than 80% of the capacity of the psu continuously.
Just make sure that use only cables from one psu per board. A daisy chain from one cable can power the controller.
Kick the two hash board only psu's on first then the one hash board with controller. Or all at the same time if you have a switchable pdu.
If you don't go cheap and you use less than 80% you should be golden.

i am not sure why you cannot use more than 80%, especially for gold or plat PSU. In fact, in SP30 they used 105-110% of PSU nominal wattage.
80% is for wall circuit where you are not supposed to use more than 80% of 15A, but I could be mistaken.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
less than 4BTC/S7 now, sure glad i resisted the urge to buy any mining hardware in the last few months.

when the price is low, accumulate coins. when it is high, accumulate hashrate
Activity: 770
Merit: 523
I would use 3 750's
Don't go cheap.

Well I have a number of corsair 750's, I also have an EVGA 1200 so I could use that plus one of the corsairs or 3 corsairs.  The only thing is that I am pretty sure I have enough 750's sitting on the shelf and the EVGA is being used to power 2 S5's.  So I can go with three 750's without shuffling anything so I was just curious if anyone else is already doing that and wondering how well it was working out.

I took the plunge and ordered a Batch 5 for 4.222BTC.  I may get another if the price of BTC goes up some more and the rest of my transactions confirm.  I sent a number of transactions probably 10 or more hours ago now and a little less than half of them haven't ever been picked up.  I lucked out that the BTC I sent to bitmain for the miner did get picked up in the very next block.  The unconfirmed transaction queue on the network hit 12k earlier today.  Sitting around 6k now.
The three 750's should be great. Hash boards use 400 watts and you don't want to run more than 80% of the capacity of the psu continuously.
Just make sure that use only cables from one psu per board. A daisy chain from one cable can power the controller.
Kick the two hash board only psu's on first then the one hash board with controller. Or all at the same time if you have a switchable pdu.
If you don't go cheap and you use less than 80% you should be golden.
legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
I would use 3 750's
Don't go cheap.

I took the plunge and ordered a Batch 5 for 4.222BTC.  I may get another if the price of BTC goes up some more and the rest of my transactions confirm.  I sent a number of transactions probably 10 or more hours ago now and a little less than half of them haven't ever been picked up.  I lucked out that the BTC I sent to bitmain for the miner did get picked up in the very next block.  The unconfirmed transaction queue on the network hit 12k earlier today.  Sitting around 6k now.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
The IBM 2880W will power 2x S7's and an S5 no problem, or 2 S7's and another 1 or 2 hashboards from an S7 (since you can't actually split them in half).

2x S7's on a 2880W PSU loads it at 78%, barely even cracking a sweat.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250

I'm using 3 power supplies per 2 - S7's

Till the IBM 2880W power supplies arrive, I'm using 1 - DPS-1200FB (1200W) power supply per 2 hash boards, there is yet another DPS-1200FB that is dedicated for powering the logic boards. That way I can power on all the hash boards, then switch on the logic as Bitmain recommends.

Activity: 770
Merit: 523
I would use 3 750's
Don't go cheap.
legendary
Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
boring without pix ? let's see some s7's in action. reading can be boring sometimes, pix tells a thousand words.

couple of pages up there were some miners using only 2 pcie instead of 3 per hash board ?

tia for sharing

If you do this and get caught you lose you warranty.  Really on such a high priced item it's not worth risking it.

After 90 day's do what you want. But for the first 90 day's I highly suggest not breaking warranty.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
boring without pix ? let's see some s7's in action. reading can be boring sometimes, pix tells a thousand words.

couple of pages up there were some miners using only 2 pcie instead of 3 per hash board ?

tia for sharing
legendary
Activity: 1428
https://www.bitworks.io
My order was UPS.  Been at UPS in Lousville since Saturday.  If we order more than $2,500, do you think Bitmain would ship them all single?  or should we make 10 orders for 10 different address?

This will be 1 week delay.

You will probably have to place single orders for each miner, this way you would pay more for shipping but your shipment won't be flagged or delayed.

It's not UPS, FedEx, or DHL that is doing this, it's US Customs.. Your mileage will vary no matter the carrier and don't think systematically sending multiple packages under the limit at the same, or in a short time period escapes notice of Customs as they will wonder if one is trying to skirt the law.. At the end of the day the goods do not have a tariff so it's not a big deal for the US, some big and some small packages get flagged, it all depends on timing and luck...
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
My order was UPS.  Been at UPS in Lousville since Saturday.  If we order more than $2,500, do you think Bitmain would ship them all single?  or should we make 10 orders for 10 different address?

You will probably have to place single orders for each miner, this way you would pay more for shipping but your shipment won't be flagged or delayed.
Activity: 751
Merit: 253
My order was UPS.  Been at UPS in Lousville since Saturday.  If we order more than $2,500, do you think Bitmain would ship them all single?  or should we make 10 orders for 10 different address?

legendary
Activity: 1596
Another S7 in today, another great machine. Good job, BITMAIN.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Did anyone else in USA have to provide SSN to customs before they would release package for delivery?

Yes. I had to do that as part of the customs form that I had to fill out for FedEx.

This seems to be a common thing to happen when you order bulk quantities (over a certain value).  It seems to flag customs and you have to pay when it arrives.  I had to pay $38 when it arrived.  I have been making all single orders since then and not been asked for SSN or had to pay when it arrived. 

Yes importing values of $2,500 USD or more will result in this.

I may be lucky but I've never had it with UPS even if over.  Only thing i've had was they audited the PSU's and saw they weighed more then bitmain declared so I had to pay the difference (like 15 bucks for 3 so not bad).

But other then that no problems on UPS here.  With being at edge of DHL drivers area, DHL is my worst one.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
Did anyone else in USA have to provide SSN to customs before they would release package for delivery?

Yes. I had to do that as part of the customs form that I had to fill out for FedEx.

This seems to be a common thing to happen when you order bulk quantities (over a certain value).  It seems to flag customs and you have to pay when it arrives.  I had to pay $38 when it arrived.  I have been making all single orders since then and not been asked for SSN or had to pay when it arrived. 

Yes importing values of $2,500 USD or more will result in this.
Activity: 575
Merit: 500

Yes, Fedex called me for SSN, asked if business or personal. Now I only do UPS, less of an issue with customs
legendary
Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001
We could expect this price increase since BTC prise is skyrocketing recently. Unfortunately this bubble will explode before the S7 arrives and destroy dreams of ROI Sad

How do you figure that?

The only thing that is constant is the price of power and the price of the S7 in USD.  If the price of btc goes to $1,000, the S7 will cost 1.7 btc.  You will need to mine 1.7 btc to achieve ROI.
It is quite clear that there is manipulation going on. The price is climbing too fast and that is not good at all. There is no rational reason why the price has almost doubled within 2 weeks. In my opinion it is only a question WHEN the bubble will explode and not IF it does.

I would appreciate a much slower, but steady BTC price increase...

In November of 2013 the price went up 10x in 6 weeks...
Yes, and we all know how it ended, right?

Just be careful and reconsider your invest. BTC price if fluctuating too much at the moment to calculate mining profits for the B4/B5 S7.
But we can be quite sure that the diff will be somewhere higher than it is now.

I am a fan of bitcoin since years and I would be happy if the price could stay at a higher level, it is only happening too fast right now (although this helps me earning some BTC on trading ;-) )
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
We could expect this price increase since BTC prise is skyrocketing recently. Unfortunately this bubble will explode before the S7 arrives and destroy dreams of ROI Sad

How do you figure that?

The only thing that is constant is the price of power and the price of the S7 in USD.  If the price of btc goes to $1,000, the S7 will cost 1.7 btc.  You will need to mine 1.7 btc to achieve ROI.
It is quite clear that there is manipulation going on. The price is climbing too fast and that is not good at all. There is no rational reason why the price has almost doubled within 2 weeks. In my opinion it is only a question WHEN the bubble will explode and not IF it does.

I would appreciate a much slower, but steady BTC price increase...

In November of 2013 the price went up 10x in 6 weeks...
Jump to: