Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 409. (Read 527634 times)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

IIRC the IRS regulations treat Bitcoin more as a security, not a manufactured item, but I've NOT gone through those regs with a fine-tooth comb yet.
 MINING bitcoin can definitely be a business, but that's been obvious for a while now.
 Same limits on "hobby" vs. "business" should apply as for any other business - if you expect to make a net profit (in 5 years IIRC) or support yourself on it,
 you can call it a business.

I'll have to ask my accountant more on that one.  But remember in the US you'd be playing with two different sets of rules.  You don't have to convince the Federal government, IRS, you're manufacturing.  You have to convince your local State/County you'd be manufacturing a product, even if it was etherial.  It's about getting that Meter in and making the Power company (local) charge you industrial rates.  And the way they word a lot of the light industrial space/manufacturing regulations 'ie used for the purpose of creating an asset and directly serves no customers' gives a lot of wiggle room to elbow your way though with sloppy zoning laws.  ANd the IRS definitely considers Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency an Asset that must be reported and taken into account immediately as income if you mine.  Once you have access to it, they bluntly state it.  Then they hit you again with the one form of double taxation we haven't gotten rid of, capital gains, once you sell it.  I see it the same way as making a table and then selling that table at a gain or loss based on market prices. (with an extra cut on the side from the feds should you do better than expected)

You are totally correct you can call it a business.  And the reason that's important is because if it's a side business (sole proprietorship) while you have a normal day job you can pull those losses and expenses under your personal income taxes.  That means writing off electricity, miner costs, setup costs, ancillary expenses, accounting costs, if at home part of your MORTGAGE.  And if you're in the upper income brackets paying fat rates, you don't lose that personal or standard deduction filing under a 1040-C if you're not itemizing.  Makes the ROI shrink real quick.  Got to love the UCSA (United Corporate States of America).  I'm looking at the US government giving me 40 cents on the dollar back to everything I put into this for the rest of this year.  That's how bad my Fed/State/Local taxes are where I'm at.  That's a hell of a 'coupon' for start up costs.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Pricey. Good form factor though. Can reuse the same PSUs that I had for S5, fairly straightforward 2x upgrade.

not 100% as there are 3 connectors per board plus you might need a separate PSU for controller (at least this is what I read)

I imagine that you would probably be able to get away with just having 2 of them plugged in.  At least that's what I heard of the S5+

I would not spread this.  Yes likely 2 can do it if proper gauge.  But on S5+ they say and ship a paper with " There are 3 PCI-e connectors for +12V DC input on each hash board and ALL of the 3 are required".  They also emailed paper to make sure you know about it on S5+.

If you don't use 3 they consider it improper powering and it voids warranty on S5+ "b. Damage caused by electrical surges, lightning, or inadequate power supply;"

I do not need 9x 16 gauge cables for 1200 watts, I wonder how much this will over clock to?

If you get the same paperwork they sent with S5+ you might not "need" it as spec.  But they make sure you use it to keep warranty.   

We have not seen for sure but I bet they ship same paperwork and email it just like S5+'s on using 3.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Pricey. Good form factor though. Can reuse the same PSUs that I had for S5, fairly straightforward 2x upgrade.

not 100% as there are 3 connectors per board plus you might need a separate PSU for controller (at least this is what I read)

I imagine that you would probably be able to get away with just having 2 of them plugged in.  At least that's what I heard of the S5+

I would not spread this.  Yes likely 2 can do it if proper gauge.  But on S5+ they say and ship a paper with " There are 3 PCI-e connectors for +12V DC input on each hash board and ALL of the 3 are required".  They also emailed paper to make sure you know about it on S5+.

If you don't use 3 they consider it improper powering and it voids warranty on S5+ "b. Damage caused by electrical surges, lightning, or inadequate power supply;"

I do not need 9x 16 gauge cables for 1200 watts, I wonder how much this will over clock to?
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

I am surprised they broke the 2 blade hashing we have seen.  I will say I love the S5+ design so I am happy they carried it over.   

Will be an interesting time to say the least.  I'm interested to see what comes.

Yeah I guess with their new individual heat sink design they are able to stuff in a third board per miner now.

Just tough to decide what will happen to difficulty once these come out and if at that new difficulty will you be able to ROI before the halving of the reward.
legendary

legendary

Edit:  Please don't listen to me and stay safe everybody!
legendary
You will never get your bitcoin back if you buy one of these at this price. It isn't even close. This is for suckers or those with stolen electricity.

I think people will mine with them for a month or two and then try to sell them quick for close to what they paid for them and ROI that way.
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
Where am I?
  • Operating Temperature: 0 °C to 40 °C

Operating Temp is really low 40C?  Other miners as well as bitmain units operated up to 60C.

That is only 104F or so.  Hope you got air conditioning or live in a northern region.
legendary
APW3-12-1600-B2 they say is the PSU reccomended but my house is 110 and wont power below 205. could i just go with 3 small psu to power it since it says not to use more that one psu for each board?

Yeah I wish I had 220-240 power in my house as well.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
wow this seems very powerful and also most power efficient miner in the market ...
but i dont think the price is acceptable though.

I have to agree. Unfortunetly the size and price of it is bigger than I expected. I was expecting a 2.5 ths unit with around 3-3.5 btc price. Seems like I'll have to wait and save some more coins.

And it does look loud. Those fans look like S5 fans and I can't imagine 2 of them in a house. Smiley

Exactly.  I was expecting a 2.5th unit as well.  This is way over my price range once again.  Sad

I am surprised they broke the 2 blade hashing we have seen.  I will say I love the S5+ design so I am happy they carried it over.   

Will be an interesting time to say the least.  I'm interested to see what comes.

If it was a 2.6 th unit for ~$900, I would be tempted to buy 1 to play around with.
legendary
wow this seems very powerful and also most power efficient miner in the market ...

I have to agree. Unfortunetly the size and price of it is bigger than I expected. I was expecting a 2.5 ths unit with around 3-3.5 btc price. Seems like I'll have to wait and save some more coins.

And it does look loud. Those fans look like S5 fans and I can't imagine 2 of them in a house. Smiley

Exactly.  I was expecting a 2.5th unit as well.  This is way over my price range once again.  Sad

legendary

Activity: 924
So would taking orders/payments on 8/30 and shipping 9/21-30 (+10) constitute good business.  I know they always come through but really, just come out and say "preorder".
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
After my experience with a burning AsicMiner Prisma with ~1100 watts passing through a very small area, I think that I will pass on this miner.  That is just too much power in a tiny area in the event of a fan or cooling failure.

Also, the ROI with my electricity cost with no difficulty increase is ~275 days.  That puts me to mid June.  The halving will be soon after.  It is just a little too close for comfort.

It looks like a nice machine though. Just a bit too pricey for me.  Undecided
Activity: 1162
Merit: 943
Wowsers! What a machine. Some really impressive specs but unfortunately far too rich for my blood given import taxes and electricity rates I have to pay.

I really hope Bitmain might make an "S7 mini" with half the specs and that mirrored in pricing as I feel this might be the beginning of the end for home mining as it stands (well it's been on a slippery dip for a while now)

Best of luck to those that buy, kudos to those that can afford it (the upfront cost and cheap electric rates) and thanks Bitmain for pushing the envelope!
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Can one red cord in EVGA 1300 handle ~266W?
If yes, then with extenders/splitters, i would think that EVGA 1300 might do.
If not...

Extender/splitters is not the way to look.   266 is getting up there.   I really think part of this is it makes a decent amount of people order Bitmain PSU.  So they get some add-on sales there.

Also others that sell server PSU's are likely to profit from this move to have 10 PCIe slots.

Can you run the bitmain psu on 110v outlet?

no, 200-205V minimal
Activity: 868
If not...

Extender/splitters is not the way to look.   266 is getting up there.   I really think part of this is it makes a decent amount of people order Bitmain PSU.  So they get some add-on sales there.

Also others that sell server PSU's are likely to profit from this move to have 10 PCIe slots.

I believe 205v and up defintally not 110. The 110/120 market is where some of the people doing server PSU kits are going to profit.

If you own the place I suggest looking into 220/240.  If you are renting I know it's out of option.   But I love my 240 after finally doing it.

I have a 220 outlet in the basement but not the garage.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
If not...

Extender/splitters is not the way to look.   266 is getting up there.   I really think part of this is it makes a decent amount of people order Bitmain PSU.  So they get some add-on sales there.

maybe, but two of evga cords are split already. i am not suggesting to split those again.
However, there are 4 'singles', and if they can handle 266W (in total, so 133w/split), then using splitters on those singles may be the way out of ordering bitmain PSU.
Are they decent or screaming banshies as well?
Most people have plenty of PSUs already.

BTW, prices are rising in aftermarket on spond pieces as a result of S7 pricing.
legendary
If not...

I believe 205v and up defintally not 110. The 110/120 market is where some of the people doing server PSU kits are going to profit.

If you own the place I suggest looking into 220/240.  If you are renting I know it's out of option.   But I love my 240 after finally doing it.
Activity: 868
If not...

Jump to: