Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 412. (Read 527634 times)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0
Pricey. Good form factor though. Can reuse the same PSUs that I had for S5, fairly straightforward 2x upgrade.

not 100% as there are 3 connectors per board plus you might need a separate PSU for controller (at least this what I read)

Seperate PSU for the controller and have to power it up last.  Which means if it is off-site you're going to have to hope the goober messing with it follows your instructions for any resets.  Or take a drive and do it yourself.
You will never get your bitcoin back if you buy one of these at this price. It isn't even close. This is for suckers or those with stolen electricity.

I would say the PACMiC and S5+ was the sucker's call.  This thing is like the HA-HA afterward.  I mean they, Bitmain, knew they had that S7 right around the corner.  Yet they throw up the S5+ at a ~$2300 premium and at .444 j/GH.  Then boom what not but a week or two later drop the S7?  Dirty pool.

Not really, efficiency is factored into the price:

s5+ - $0.298/ghs
s7   - $0.375/ghs

But then factor in cost of operation over 200 days 24/7 uptime at your electrical rate.

Electrical operational costs break out as follows.

You save 20.5% on the GH/s up front cost. (your numbers)  But lose 44% per GH/s on the operational cost of the unit (the S7 winning), then include difficulty explosion.  Which means you're going to want to keep your operational expenses low to recover from that much longer ROI that is going to result.

2.01 years to make up the cost differencial with power savings assuming equal hash rate.

You got darn good electricity rates compared to me, course moving it to a commercial setting should assist myself, as I'm home mining at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Pricey. Good form factor though. Can reuse the same PSUs that I had for S5, fairly straightforward 2x upgrade.

not 100% as there are 3 connectors per board plus you might need a separate PSU for controller (at least this is what I read)
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Let's hope for some coupons
grn
Activity: 357
Merit: 252
You will never get your bitcoin back if you buy one of these at this price. It isn't even close. This is for suckers or those with stolen electricity.

I would say the PACMiC and S5+ was the sucker's call.  This thing is like the HA-HA afterward.  I mean they, Bitmain, knew they had that S7 right around the corner.  Yet they throw up the S5+ at a ~$2300 premium and at .444 j/GH.  Then boom what not but a week or two later drop the S7?  Dirty pool.

s5+ - $0.298/ghs
s7   - $0.375/ghs

But then factor in cost of operation over 200 days 24/7 uptime at your electrical rate.

You save 20.5% on the GH/s up front cost. (your numbers)  But lose 44% per GH/s on the operational cost of the unit (the S7 winning), then include difficulty explosion.  Which means you're going to want to keep your operational expenses low to recover from that much longer ROI that is going to result.

2.01 years to make up the cost differential with power savings assuming equal hash rate.
legendary
Activity: 1161
Merit: 1001
Don`t invest more than you can afford to lose
goo whaiting to be online so wee can order Smiley
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
S5+ make a lot of sense now. S7 looks to have the same chassis, virtually the same chip layout and power connections, and same controller card.

Rich

Not sure if it's same controller, but looks pretty similar. Anyone else pay attention to the "extra" fan and board slots on the controller? I don't even want to THINK about the price on an S7+ but it looks like it will be a trivial design to do.

The picture is identical to that shown in the S5+ (Like the same picture) and has S5+ on the silk screen. The "value" of this to me is that if it's correct, as opposed to Bitmain Marketing just using the same picture, then you will be able to use an S5 controller on an S7 hash board.

Rich
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

s5+ - $0.298/ghs
s7   - $0.375/ghs

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

It is all situation dependent but for most (including me) I could have made more money buying coin all year and then selling at $300 when it was in that range. However that would not be as fun, as supportive of the network, and I would have spent my money playing with some other idealistic electronic related idea so it may as well be the one which has hope to actually make a difference.

It isn't all about the money for a great number of the people posting here.

However, we still care about the money and the difficulty flatness over this year showed it is possible, but the power rate and uptime will determine such.
I agree the price is high, but the early adopters do get to start on ROI the soonest. So if you are going to roll the dice, roll them now. By the time people wait for the price to drop the difficulty is going to seriously pop.

Don't encourage people to buy this, it's just plain wrong.
grn
Activity: 357
Merit: 252

I would say the PACMiC and S5+ was the sucker's call.  This thing is like the HA-HA afterward.  I mean they, Bitmain, knew they had that S7 right around the corner.  Yet they throw up the S5+ at a ~$2300 premium and at .444 j/GH.  Then boom what not but a week or two later drop the S7?  Dirty pool.

s5+ - $0.298/ghs
s7   - $0.375/ghs

S5+ make a lot of sense now. S7 looks to have the same chassis, virtually the same chip layout and power connections, and same controller card.

Rich

Not sure if it's same controller, but looks pretty similar. Anyone else pay attention to the "extra" fan and board slots on the controller? I don't even want to THINK about the price on an S7+ but it looks like it will be a trivial design to do.

Yeah but think about the premium in the home designed S7+.  You'd be spending 1825 x3 ($5475) if the board is the same and can run the units in the same way. + the PSU costs.  That would give you 14.58 TH/s  But then again looking at the price on the S5+ hey that's about what two of them cost if not less, and you wouldn't get the power savings of .25j/GH
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Rich

Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

It is all situation dependent but for most (including me) I could have made more money buying coin all year and then selling at $300 when it was in that range. However that would not be as fun, as supportive of the network, and I would have spent my money playing with some other idealistic electronic related idea so it may as well be the one which has hope to actually make a difference.

It isn't all about the money for a great number of the people posting here.

However, we still care about the money and the difficulty flatness over this year showed it is possible, but the power rate and uptime will determine such.
I agree the price is high, but the early adopters do get to start on ROI the soonest. So if you are going to roll the dice, roll them now. By the time people wait for the price to drop the difficulty is going to seriously pop.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Infected Mushroom

Even with the free electricity, because of my countries tax rules, everything passes 1500$ gets a %40 costums fee. With the shipping cost, its almost impossible to ROI before halving. Tongue

I would say the PACMiC and S5+ was the sucker's call.  This thing is like the HA-HA afterward.  I mean they, Bitmain, knew they had that S7 right around the corner.  Yet they throw up the S5+ at a ~$2300 premium and at .444 j/GH.  Then boom what not but a week or two later drop the S7?  Dirty pool.
Activity: 824
Merit: 712
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
@BITMAINTECH
I would love to see some special offer for your old customers like ppl whos got 1yr old account or for ppl who bought S1 or something like that. So they can buy 1 Antminer S7 for special price maybe even 50% ? ;p U wont lose much and ppl will be very happy Wink Pls consider that option.
Regards
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Yeap, already looking at Co-location datacenter services for em right now.  Just got to find a Server PSU that can run three of em at once.  I take thought some guy was claiming to be an official IBM reseller with a setup that had no bare wires which could handle the load.

The IBM 2880W will be able to run 2 of these, I'm not aware of any common PSU that will be able to run 3 at their claimed power consumption (that would be 3,390W DC total).  The ideal layout would be powering 7 S7's between 3x IBM 2880's, it would put current draw on each PSU @ 2640W, leaving it around 91% loaded.  J4bberwock is the developer for the 2880W breakout boards, I am his partner/official re-seller for North America.
so what power supply and setup would be needed to run these things? I am retarded when it comes to this stuff. took me 2 days to get my s3 up and running lol

You need at least a 205V socket.  If you're in the US you're looking at 110 to 120 for residential so you'd have to drop one.  Also at least a 15 amp breaker to handle 1800W, as it runs at 1280W.  I suppose it's possible you could buy a very high end EGVA gold power supply and run it.  The 1300 would be at max load so You'd want to go higher.  The issue is you need 9 PCI plugins 3 for each board over the standard 2 for the S5.  So you're going to have to buy more split cords in all likelihood to run it.  Note that is to run ONE device.

This could possibly ALSO work.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1600-X1/dp/B00MMLUIE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440869878&sr=8-1&keywords=psu+evga+G2+1600

But that's a guess and these other guys are way more tech savy then me.  Either way a server PSU is going to go for a lot less then this thing.  I'm looking at this guy on the boards for possibly three units but his IBM only is pushing 2880, which isn't enough to handle three units only two.  So I'd need a supplemental PSU to handle at least a hash board left over.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ibm-2880w-psubreakout-boards-new-package-deals-for-t9s9-a7-966135

Jump to: