Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 411. (Read 527634 times)

legendary
Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000
My usual spreadsheet, people have said it's been useful in the past.

Price doesn't include shipping, import taxes if applicable or PSU's. Assumes static diff and BTC price, it's just to give a rough idea

Mining still dead in the UK at $0.23, and shipping to a host is probably going to be a year to breakeven when the inevitable diff rises happen so no new machines for me Sad

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Congrats on launching this, Bitmain ! Very impressive specs.

I'm more interested to see BM1385's voltage curve as we didn't get one this time. It doesn't feel like .25 is the limit and like the S3 to the S4 and the S5 to the S4+ we could see even high efficiencies on a theoretical S8.

They have shown us three points on the curve with :-

0.71V 0.263W/GH
0.66V 0.219W/GH (S7 / 18 Chip Chain with 12V supply)
0.60V 0.181W/GH (S7 / 18 Chip Chain with 10.8V supply)

The S5 with BM1384 bottoms out at 0.6V. I do not know if being full custom opens the way to a lower core voltage but my guess as both BM1384 & BM1385 are 28nM is that BM1385 will also bottom out at 0.6V?

Rich

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
do you think we'll make btc on pacmic 3?.
I bought 5TH on day one. So far so good.
So far, so good. Looking like I will get more BTC out than I put in at the completion of the contract.

yeah I think I will. but for now I stopped auto buy.

I need to focus on this s-7
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
So far, so good. Looking like I will get more BTC out than I put in at the completion of the contract.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
Very tempted to purchase one of these units, but this round, I think I'm going to purchase $1,823 USD worth of BTC on Coinbase when these go on sale instead.

Have ~22THs wrapped up in PACMiC v3 anyway. I would be very interested to know the underclock potential of these if they were running @ ~1kW each.

legendary
1210 watts quoted "at the wall" - an EVGA 1300 would have about 10% power reserve, even my favorite Seasonic X1250s have some power in reserve.
Indeed. Some of the more common official peak ratings are in my PSU guide, although for 24/7 its still going to officially be the stated rating. That being said, I've ran many corsair PSUs past their limits in challenging conditions and they've done fine.

Only if you can run each board on two instead of three connectors, contrary to bitmains instructions.
However, they said to use two connectors per board for S5 and some people used just one successfully (with a good quality connector such that found in EVGA).

I'm using an EVGA G2 gold 1300 now with two S5s and it's running at roughly 93/94% efficiency.  Per my 'at the wall' meter.  all red VGA cables used, vertical strato setup with a box fan.  I just checked this.  Was running at like 97% efficiency when only was running one Tongue, but lot less load.

good, but it doesn't actually answer my question re using 2 cables/board instead of three. EVGA 1300 has only 8 connectors and you need one of them for controller, so that leaves 6 left for three boards in S7-will it work? I guess that we will have to wait until someone does it first (my money is on Philip since he was always a fan of evga).
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com

I'm more interested to see BM1385's voltage curve as we didn't get one this time. It doesn't feel like .25 is the limit and like the S3 to the S4 and the S5 to the S4+ we could see even high efficiencies on a theoretical S8.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Very tempted to purchase one of these units, but this round, I think I'm going to purchase $1,823 USD worth of BTC on Coinbase when these go on sale instead.

Have ~22THs wrapped up in PACMiC v3 anyway. I would be very interested to know the underclock potential of these if they were running @ ~1kW each.

Activity: 45
Merit: 0
1210 watts quoted "at the wall" - an EVGA 1300 would have about 10% power reserve, even my favorite Seasonic X1250s have some power in reserve.
Indeed. Some of the more common official peak ratings are in my PSU guide, although for 24/7 its still going to officially be the stated rating. That being said, I've ran many corsair PSUs past their limits in challenging conditions and they've done fine.

Only if you can run each board on two instead of three connectors, contrary to bitmains instructions.
However, they said to use two connectors per board for S5 and some people used just one successfully (with a good quality connector such that found in EVGA).

I'm using an EVGA G2 gold 1300 now with two S5s and it's running at roughly 93/94% efficiency.  Per my 'at the wall' meter.  all red VGA cables used, vertical strato setup with a box fan.  I just checked this.  Was running at like 97% efficiency when only was running one Tongue, but lot less load.
legendary

alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
Let's hope for some coupons

I'll be interested to see if coupons materialize. My bet is that they won't. I think Bitmaintech is a different animal than they were 12-18 months ago. Maybe coupons if the S7 doesn't run at spec, but I'll bet that's very unlikely, since I expect they already have plenty of experience running them in-house (e.g. Hashnest).
Activity: 818
Merit: 1006
If anyone wants to run a few of these machines, but doesn't have the capacity, we at http://toom.im can take some. We can provide a server-grade PSU with 16 awg leads for these for $80 each.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

You need at least a 205V socket.

No, there are quite a few PS that will handle a S7 from the COMMON 15A 110V socket. The real issue is the number of PCI-E connectors, not the power draw.

I suppose it's possible you could buy a very high end EGVA gold power supply and run it.  The 1300 would be at max load so You'd want to go higher.

The issue is you need 9 PCI plugins 3 for each board over the standard 2 for the S5.

10. one for the controller board. I don't know of any PS that has 9 connectors though, 8 and 10 yes.

Or you could do what I'm tenatively planning to do, run 2 S7 on 3 PS (though I might finally break down and buy some used server PS/breakout boards instead, since I figure I'll be running THESE units for quite a while).
legendary

Also makes those PACMiC contracts look like the sucker's dream as well.  ROI on that is going to be HELL unless they upgrade their farms to S7's and then all those suckers just paid their capital investment cost at .666 bitcoin per 1 T/H.  Always said that was a loan,  Now it looks like a REALLY bad loan.

They already upgraded their farm to S7s or more likely "S7+".
 That's where all those "used S5" came FROM, outdated units being upgraded.

I don't see PACMiC v3 being unprofitable - yet. Perhaps buying on in 2-3 months might be, but not right now.
legendary

I have 9 cents electricity. I calculated ROI for almost 250 days, but then we'll see block halving. I think ROI is not possible with my electricity fee considering mining difficulty.

Unless bitcoin price goes up somewhat faster than difficulty, I'd say you're correct.

I would say the PACMiC and S5+ was the sucker's call.

Half right.
 I've been saying the S5+ was overpriced since it first showed up.
 PACMiC though still should be profitable for a while, just don't believe the 25% APR claim as that doesn't appear to take difficulty increase into account at ALL.

legendary
wow this seems very powerful and also most power efficient miner in the market ...
but i dont think the price is acceptable though.

A little over twice the TH I was anticipating, a bit LESS than twice the price. I just wish they didn't make the "per unit" such a HIGH bar.

You will never get your bitcoin back if you buy one of these at this price. It isn't even close. This is for suckers or those with stolen electricity.

My usual ROI calculation shows this will be very close to ROI at the halfing, presuming aquired in time to have it hashing on 30 September - with 6.7 cent/KWH power.
 It will also be SOLIDLY profitable after the halfing for another year or so, presuming my estimate of average difficulty increase is on the high side or very close on the low side.
 I'm estimating a HIGHER rate of increase than the past year to date has shown, BTW.

10 PCI-E connections is an issue for most if not ALL 1250/1300 watt ATX power supplies. IMO a BAD design call there, or a blatant attempt to get more sales of their own 1600 watt unit. On the other hand, I've been running "split" PS for a while anyway, just have to switch to running 3 PS per 2 units instead of 2 PS per 3 units. 8-O

Nothing new about the power up order - the S5 wants the hash boards to be powered up before the controller, or at the same time, already - or the hash board that is powered up late just don't hash most of the time. Doesn't seem to be highly timing critical, there's at least a couple seconds of leeway in there as the controller board boots up.

Coupons were promised - but at the large PRICE of one of these units, I hope the coupons have a LONG expiration date.

At the given power specs, the entire unit pulls a bit under 94 Amps out of all the +12v combined. Works out to a hair less than 30 amps per hashboard, probably in fact a hair under 30A (controller will soak at LEAST 4 amps JUST for the fans). In theory, you SHOULD be able to get away with 2 connectors per hashboard (24 amps EACH per connector based on the connector specs) *IF THEY ARE GANGED* as each would only pull 15 Amps if you use a pair which is WELL within the power capasity of the connector and even meets the specs for wiring on the common 18AWG most PS use to PCI-E connections.
 If each connector feeds a seperate string, you need all 3 period - but they're only pulling about 10 amps each, so you could get away with running a hash board and the controller off the same wires with 2 connectors, and might be able to run 2 hashboards off a doubled connector per wire set.
 16 AWG, don't sweat the wires at all no matter how you connect a doubled connector set of wires.

Activity: 572
Merit: 506
You can use molex2pci-e adaptors, but it will be a must to connect 3 pci-e each hashboard... I don't think i can make roi with that...
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Pricey. Good form factor though. Can reuse the same PSUs that I had for S5, fairly straightforward 2x upgrade.

not 100% as there are 3 connectors per board plus you might need a separate PSU for controller (at least this what I read)

Seperate PSU for the controller and have to power it up last.  Which means if it is off-site you're going to have to hope the goober messing with it follows your instructions for any resets.  Or take a drive and do it yourself.

It says if you use a separate PSU then power it on last. You don't have to use a separate PSU.

Having 10 PCIe connectors might be a problem for those who use ATX PSUs. I think the venerable EVGA 1300 has only 8.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Interesting a little more power then I thought it would have.  We knew it was coming though.

Looks like we will be having a lot of people watching the website now.
Jump to: