Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer S9 Volt Rocket Ship firmware mod! ~Time to Max Out Your Bitmain PSU~ - page 23. (Read 32455 times)

Activity: 801
Merit: 293
Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA
I have found that at 750MHz the miner works best with 9.4 Volts. 8.8 is probably too low.

9.4v is a lot of power draw. Doing 9.4 volts you're drawing a lot more power than I really want to. The point is to keep the voltage low and the hashrate high because if you draw a lot more power the point of mining at a faster speed diminishes because your paying for a lot more electricity. At 9.4v the miners can draw up to 2100 watts of power...
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
With the second firmware does 750m work without it rebooting? Or does it reboot with both firmware regardless at 750m?

First firmware. The second I tried only 800m.

Do you have a bitmain 1600w psu because if it is drawing to much power and the psu is causing it to reboot that could be the cause of it shutting down. If you used the bitmain psu and you go over the voltage the psu will shut down and go into protect mode for a few minutes unless you reset it. The other cause is the miner needs more voltage to run at that mhz. If that is the case I can make a bminer at 8.9v or even try at 8.7volts. (I don't think 8.7volts is going workout to well though and cause lots of HW errors but I can build it)

I don't have bitmain psu. 1600w(Don't know the firm), 1800w(51asic psu) and 1800w(like this link)

That was very garbled... My question is does 750m not work with both firmware and do you have bitmain psu so we can see if it is just drawing to much power and that is why it is resetting since you have no meter to tell power draw and if we overload it and it goes in protect mode we will know. (my meter comes tomorrow so I can make a decent guess as well)

Ok, wait your meter

I don't see any reason why the 13.5 will not run at 750m as I have successfully gotten it to run at 18.5th with two psus. We might just need to tweak some setting in bminner. I did notice however one of your hashboard is throwing errors and not your others. If one hashboard is weaker than the rest and has issues it will cause the whole miner to act up if one board is not as fast as the rest.

That's what I meant in the last message. Not all boards can keep the acceleration:

https://i.imgur.com/J0D9z6S.png
Activity: 538
Merit: 175
The other cause is the miner needs more voltage to run at that mhz. If that is the case I can make a bminer at 8.9v or even try at 8.7volts. (I don't think 8.7volts is going workout to well though and cause lots of HW errors but I can build it)

I have found that at 750MHz the miner works best with 9.4 Volts. 8.8 is probably too low.
With the second firmware does 750m work without it rebooting? Or does it reboot with both firmware regardless at 750m?

Do you have a bitmain 1600w psu because if it is drawing to much power and the psu is causing it to reboot that could be the cause of it shutting down. If you used the bitmain psu and you go over the voltage the psu will shut down and go into protect mode for a few minutes unless you reset it. The other cause is the miner needs more voltage to run at that mhz. If that is the case I can make a bminer at 8.9v or even try at 8.7volts. (I don't think 8.7volts is going workout to well though and cause lots of HW errors but I can build it)

I am assuming we are not drawing to much power since I am not tripping a 1600w psu with the same firmware granted I am testing with an s9i and it is only 5% more efficient.

That was very garbled... My question is does 750m not work with both firmware and do you have bitmain psu so we can see if it is just drawing to much power and that is why it is resetting since you have no meter to tell power draw and if we overload it and it goes in protect mode we will know. (my meter comes tomorrow so I can make a decent guess as well)

I don't see any reason why the 13.5 will not run at 750m as I have successfully gotten it to run at 18.5th with two psus. We might just need to tweak some setting in bminner. I did notice however one of your hashboard is throwing errors and not your others. If one hashboard is weaker than the rest and has issues it will cause the whole miner to act up if one board is not as fast as the rest.

EDIT: This is what mine is looking like right now granted this is a machine that is 5% more efficient than yours.

Did lowering the MHz by 1 or 2 levels stop it from shutting itself down. Do you by any chance have a meter to see what the 13.5 is drawing?

https://i.imgur.com/YApHuDL.png - this is the best on s9 13.5 1800psu -> firmware 650m -> your first firmware https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/17QS03nNERfrYxXemJa0Ll9Skp6c_p13J
If I put 750 then the miner will reboot in 5 minutes
I don't have meter Sad

I noticed if I put a 750m board can not raise 750.00m GH/s 5,386.50. Only one board can. I mean this, example - https://i.imgur.com/bY1bBmN.png

UPD:
Tell me what to try and I'll try, big boss
I also meant this firmware - The following is good to run at 800mhz and gets 17th/s and is STABLE and will almost max out the bitmain 1600w psu. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TkW-BB0SKl5daIeEA5XziU_UvNQpzyAd

Did lowering the MHz by 1 or 2 levels stop it from shutting itself down. Do you by any chance have a meter to see what the 13.5 is drawing?
Did you set it to 800mhz. Did the psu get tripped and that's why it shut down or the s9 crash. I am waiting on my new clamp meter to measure actual power draw since I can't seem to find mine but I have not tripped the 1600w psu at 800mhz. You might have a slightly less efficient one since my 800mhz benchmark was done with a 14th unit. Try to 787.50mhz or 793.75mhz since if it is tripping at the 2-3 minute mark it is tripping after 2-3 minutes of mining and it might have been a slight fluctuation in power draw since I removed a lot of the crap that makes the boot up time take so long on the s9. Try the second download link it runs it at less than 9volts and runs at 8.8v https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TkW-BB0SKl5daIeEA5XziU_UvNQpzyAd It should work better on 1800w psu at the 9v one sits right along the max power draw.

I also meant this firmware - The following is good to run at 800mhz and gets 17th/s and is STABLE and will almost max out the bitmain 1600w psu. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TkW-BB0SKl5daIeEA5XziU_UvNQpzyAd
After 2-3min miner restarted
1800w psu
s9 13.5th -> firmware 650 fix -> your firmware

Did you set it to 800mhz. Did the psu get tripped and that's why it shut down or the s9 crash. I am waiting on my new clamp meter to measure actual power draw since I can't seem to find mine but I have not tripped the 1600w psu at 800mhz. You might have a slightly less efficient one since my 800mhz benchmark was done with a 14th unit. Try to 787.50mhz or 793.75mhz since if it is tripping at the 2-3 minute mark it is tripping after 2-3 minutes of mining and it might have been a slight fluctuation in power draw since I removed a lot of the crap that makes the boot up time take so long on the s9. Try the second download link it runs it at less than 9volts and runs at 8.8v https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TkW-BB0SKl5daIeEA5XziU_UvNQpzyAd It should work better on 1800w psu at the 9v one sits right along the max power draw.
Great job taserz.

My brand new s9i just jumped from 13.5 to 17TH/s.

I'm facing the issue with no temp reporting as you mentioned as possible problem. Any idea from where it comes? Will you try to fix it?

So what I did to make it work for the s9i is. I flashed the s9i Factory firmware (well I held down ip report while powering it on so it reset itself) Then copied the version of bmminer over that I made and it kept the temps reporting. With the ambient temp at 80F the three hashboard are running at 99-101C with very little HW errors over a 24hour time span I got 17/13/26 hw errors for chain 6/7/8.
The following is good to run at 800mhz and gets 17th/s and is STABLE and will almost max out the bitmain 1600w psu.

After 2-3min miner restarted
1800w psu
s9 13.5th -> firmware 650 fix -> your firmware
Activity: 58
Merit: 5
Great job taserz.

My brand new s9i just jumped from 13.5 to 17TH/s.

I'm facing the issue with no temp reporting as you mentioned as possible problem. Any idea from where it comes? Will you try to fix it?
Just updated the thread for an 8.8v version that can run 800mhz stable at 17gh/s
I don't understand why the author doesn't want to answer a couple of questions about his firmware.
Is the temperature displayed on CHIPS incorrectly?
"local Temp" - correct temperature?

Where did I say it reports incorrectly. I said sometimes it doesn't report and I think that's mainly those using non 13th/s or faster units based off the reports.
Feel free to use Dollemizer, Runs 16,4 TH on one APW3++ 1600 watt PSU.   Cool
Questions about the firmware can be stated @ our Slack or Twitter account. #Dollemizer

Why would anyone want to use your firmware when you steal their hashpower. It does the exact same thing as this except I didn't bother making a firmware file nor change the settings pages to easily change the fan speed.

Also I find it funny you advertise AsicBoost even though it is not possible with the s9's due to hardware limitations.
Activity: 32
Feel free to use Dollemizer, Runs 16,4 TH on one APW3++ 1600 watt PSU.   Cool
Questions about the firmware can be stated @ our Slack or Twitter account. #Dollemizer
I don't understand why the author doesn't want to answer a couple of questions about his firmware.
Is the temperature displayed on CHIPS incorrectly?
"local Temp" - correct temperature?
Activity: 67
Merit: 31
[...]

What temperature should I look at local Temp?

And how to install fans at 90-100%? I put the firmware 650M and installed a 100% fan - it did not work.
Ty.

i have this same question ^ which temperature in the kernel log should we be watching, the temps in miner status shot up to 115-120+
Hi Tazers,

Thank you for your reply.
The first step of your Upgrade Instructions is to Flash Fixed Frequency firmware.
That's why I thought I need to replace the auto-freq firmware with the older fix-650M one, before I can replace the bmminer.sh with your modified version.

Now you say I don't have to do the first step? Just want to confirm that.
Okay, if you said that, then I will skip the first step and go to the next ones. Hope it will works.
Thanks again.

You only need to flash the fixed frequency firmware in order to gain the controls on the dashboard for fan control. If you use the stock firmware it will still work just fine except the antminer will adjust the fan for the given temperature which honestly works just fine as well. The ability to change fan speed was more so to make the miner run quiet if needed.
Activity: 28
You don't have to reflash firmware if you recompile bmminer to use fixed frequency. Then you just replace bmminer.sh on the miner with your modified version.

Hi Tazers,

Thank you for your reply.
The first step of your Upgrade Instructions is to Flash Fixed Frequency firmware.
That's why I thought I need to replace the auto-freq firmware with the older fix-650M one, before I can replace the bmminer.sh with your modified version.

Now you say I don't have to do the first step? Just want to confirm that.
Okay, if you said that, then I will skip the first step and go to the next ones. Hope it will works.
Thanks again.
Activity: 538
Merit: 175
Hi Tazers,

I tried to flash fix-650M firmware ("Antminer-S9-all-201705031838-650M-user-Update2UBI-NF.tar/gz") to my S9 (which has the default auto-freq Nov 2017 firmware), and I got this "Invalid Upgrade version" messages.
The S9 rebooted itself and it still has the default auto-freq version. So the flash failed.

Could you kindly advise what should I do to flash the fix-650M ?
Thank you very much.

You don't have to reflash firmware if you recompile bmminer to use fixed frequency. Then you just replace bmminer.sh on the miner with your modified version.
Pages:
Jump to: