Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER U3 Discussion and Support Thread - page 75. (Read 149090 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 504
October 18, 2014, 04:27:28 PM
Decentralization continued, really??.  Sorry Bitmain, while you guys have provided lots of good product to consumers the decentralization train left the station some time ago.

Why does everyone quote ck like he is a God? He's just one person, like everyone else. He has no additional knowledge of the market, like everyone else.

Simple reason, he wrote the truth.
Not a single mining hardware now available to ROI for the home miners.
Without them the blockchain is somewhat centralised.
This is not a complaint since everyone looks for profit, so the hardware manufacturers too.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Owner, Minersource.net
October 18, 2014, 03:59:35 PM
We have these for sale, the shipping prices for even 60 are murderous.
Activity: 765
October 18, 2014, 03:38:20 PM
Very cool design.  Unfortunately I can't afford 60 of them so I'll keep an eye out for group buys of these.

Also keeping a look out for a group buy. 
I could order the 60 since I have enough BTC, but I don't need 60 and I'm not able to manage a group buy at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022
October 18, 2014, 01:44:50 PM
Mother of god, a BFL 60GH used to cost thousands of dollars. Less than a year ago.....
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
Just mining my own business...
October 18, 2014, 01:33:08 PM
Decentralization continued, really??.  Sorry Bitmain, while you guys have provided lots of good product to consumers the decentralization train left the station some time ago.

Why does everyone quote ck like he is a God? He's just one person, like everyone else. He has no additional knowledge of the market, like everyone else.

He isn't God. He is just right as Flying Hellfish and klondike_bar say. If you disagree then why not put up a case to rivals his? Unfortunately the numbers don't square and anyone who is looking forward understands this game of small mining is dead for profit motives.

Do you have any evidence to support some other conclusion? If you do then please share that with the community.

Now having said that. Maybe units with other purposes beyond mining or dual purpose and mining might be the way to decentralize mining this bee hive looking unit is a step in that direction.

As a hopeless optimist, not to mention a gadget freak, there are a few SHA altcoin out there that you could mine with these. So far the problem has been that the $/GH/day factor has still been in BTC's favor.  However, if BTC does become even more centralized to the massive farms, then could there be a chance that altcoin mining could still be at least marginally profitable to the hobbyist? There has been some effort to make altcoins more relevant (like NU's attempt to build on PPC - even though the jury is still out on how successful that will be).  While BTC is the 800 lb gorilla in the cybercoin-for-commerce world, there still might be a place for others (again, the hopeless optimist speaking here Wink.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
October 18, 2014, 01:27:34 PM
Bitmain,

Why does your announcement state that a 16A power brick is needed, but then later you state that an ATX PSU with a single PCI-e connector is needed?

The render you provide certainly appears to show a standard power brick barrel adapter and not a PCI-e connector... or is that strange-looking thing in the center of the bottom supposed to be the PCI-e connector?

Basically what I'm asking: Is the power to be supplied by EITHER a 16A brick OR an ATX PSU?  The choice is up to the customer?  Or, does the unit require both a brick and an ATX PSU?

Also, in the specs you state DC 12V, 6A... so why the need for a 16A brick?  Is that a typo?

Thanks.

I have exactly the same question...

The unit itself requires 5-6A, and is provided with a AC/DC 12V, 16A PSU.
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
October 18, 2014, 01:25:42 PM
This might have been a decent deal if it was released 3+ months ago but now it's just an overpriced novelty.

Rockminer has been selling cheaper noob miners for months.
Activity: 756
October 18, 2014, 01:05:37 PM
Very cool design.  Unfortunately I can't afford 60 of them so I'll keep an eye out for group buys of these.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
October 18, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
Decentralization continued, really??.  Sorry Bitmain, while you guys have provided lots of good product to consumers the decentralization train left the station some time ago.

He isn't God. He is just right as Flying Hellfish and klondike_bar say. If you disagree then why not put up a case to rivals his? Unfortunately the numbers don't square and anyone who is looking forward understands this game of small mining is dead for profit motives.

Do you have any evidence to support some other conclusion? If you do then please share that with the community.

Now having said that. Maybe units with other purposes beyond mining or dual purpose and mining might be the way to decentralize mining this bee hive looking unit is a step in that direction.

This is the right way of thinking about this... but not a rice cooker. Think consumer electronics that require being on all the time. Wallets like the Trezor possibly or maybe storage NAS systems.

Look like the latest rice cooker!  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
October 18, 2014, 12:54:29 PM

I quoted him in this instance because he is correct and presented the information well.

I don't think he is god, I don't believe in god/s.  His reputation can speak for itself and if I thought he was wrong I would have no problems saying so.  In this case however he was/is pretty much bang on mate.

I notice you didn't argue with the substance of the post but instead look to misdirect by basically calling me a fan boy.

Don't worry Dogie your meal ticket is still in place, as Conman pointed out there are still enough suckers blinded by greed that they can afford to keep you on contract for a while yet.
Activity: 546
Owner, Minersource.net
October 18, 2014, 12:44:05 PM
Bitmain,

Why does your announcement state that a 16A power brick is needed, but then later you state that an ATX PSU with a single PCI-e connector is needed?

The render you provide certainly appears to show a standard power brick barrel adapter and not a PCI-e connector... or is that strange-looking thing in the center of the bottom supposed to be the PCI-e connector?

Basically what I'm asking: Is the power to be supplied by EITHER a 16A brick OR an ATX PSU?  The choice is up to the customer?  Or, does the unit require both a brick and an ATX PSU?

Also, in the specs you state DC 12V, 6A... so why the need for a 16A brick?  Is that a typo?

Thanks.

I have exactly the same question...

The middle white connector is a PCI-E 6 pin, I assume to the right of it is a DC barrell connector.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
October 18, 2014, 12:29:07 PM
Bitmain,

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
October 18, 2014, 11:43:09 AM
Decentralization continued, really??.  Sorry Bitmain, while you guys have provided lots of good product to consumers the decentralization train left the station some time ago.

fact is that the U3 wont make any profit unless there is a drastic shift in BTC value - which would still ensure better profits for a larger miner anyways.

IMO ck's post is accurate, and it shouldnt be surprising that the bitcoin service will slowly centralize in areas where power is cheap. Even 2 years ago there were guys running $50,000 worth of GPUs in their garages or even rented buildings - those people now run $200,000 farms
legendary
dogiecoin.com
October 18, 2014, 10:47:39 AM

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
October 18, 2014, 10:29:40 AM
legendary
dogiecoin.com
October 18, 2014, 10:01:54 AM
Min order 60 units at $56 per unit and that is before shipping and customs added. Pity they aren't selling them individually it might have been tempting as a early Christmas gift for someone. Smiley

They'll be sold to regional resellers/distributors for individual purchase. It just doesn't make sense to ship individual units round the world.
Activity: 152
Merit: 102
October 18, 2014, 09:54:00 AM
Min order 60 units at $56 per unit and that is before shipping and customs added. Pity they aren't selling them individually it might have been tempting as a early Christmas gift for someone. Smiley
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
October 18, 2014, 09:50:31 AM
Look like the latest rice cooker!  Cheesy
Activity: 384
Merit: 256
October 18, 2014, 08:08:15 AM
Yay, I've been waiting for for these! The U2s were great.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
October 18, 2014, 08:06:14 AM
Hello all,

Bitmain has employed me to help liaise with the community and later provide technical support. They have done this in order to help provide:

1) timely technical support
2) provide better feedback (if I don't know, I can find out from the people within Bitmain who will)
3) provide product and sales input from you guys directly into the company. If something is going wrong, YOU can fix it
4) provide native English press releases - less ManderEnglish, more sense.

This is a paid position, however it will in no way affect my independence or freedom in being critical towards Bitmain outside of this thread. My contract specifically stipulates:

Dogie will speak on behalf of BITMAIN and will not criticize BITMAIN in these threads. Dogie still reserves the right to criticize BITMAIN in his other threads. Both parties acknowledge that this relationship has no impact whatsoever on BITMAIN’s rating or standing in “Dogie’s ‘Manufacturer Trustworthiness” thread.

This means I won't sit here and reply to every post saying Bitmain is a scam, don't buy from Bitmain etc etc, in this thread. It does NOT prohibit me from saying that in my own threads, if that is what I believe. It also has absolutely no impact on their rating in the Manufacturer trustwothiness thread [in which Bitmain just went down 10 points].
Pages:
Jump to: