Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone following the ebola outbreak? - page 18. (Read 39823 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
September 15, 2014, 01:27:42 PM
CDC is now sending out preparation notices to hospitals.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cdc-issues-ebola-checklist-now-is-the-time-to-prepare/article/2553396

And now the State Dept has put out an order for 160,000 Ebola hazmat suits.

http://www.infowars.com/u-s-state-department-orders-160000-ebola-hazmat-suits/

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
September 14, 2014, 03:43:17 PM
Despite all the embargoes and sanctions, the little Latin American nation of Cuba is doing more than any other nation in fighting this epidemic.

http://www.who.int/features/2014/cuban-ebola-team/en/

A Cuban team consisting of 100 nurses and 50 doctors will be arriving in Sierra Leone very shortly. Cuba is sending a strong message to the world nations. Countries such as the United States are trying to achieve world peace by bombing every nook and corner of the globe. At the same time, Cuba is trying to achieve the same by sending medical supplies to poor African nations.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
September 14, 2014, 03:09:01 PM
Or use that here website for great info.. I hope soon we can fixe it :/

http://ebola-symptoms.com/
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
September 13, 2014, 07:06:20 PM
I personally hope we're are both wrong, this is not the kind of thing I'd want to be right about. Unless it could save lives of course.  I've been worried something similar could happen but was always happy to turn a blind eye to the chances of such a thing happening.  I didn't for a second expect Ebola was going to pop up and I assume that no one else would think of such a thing generally speaking.  Anyone paying any attention would be worried about ebola coming here so just take pride in the fact that you weren't shy about having the discussion or at least entertaining the idea weeks ago.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
September 13, 2014, 06:54:20 PM
The current ebola virus is mutating very rapidly, therefore some experts are worried that it will become airborne

I am not 100% sure, but as far as I know, a non-airborne virus will not mutate to airborne virus. There is not a single example in recorded history for something like this happening.

Meanwhile, there is good news from Senegal. So far, the disease seems to be limited to the first reported case. None of the others are infected. But at the same time, the news from WHO is that an unrelated Ebola epidemic is rapidly spreading in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Mutation is not necessary to weaponize the virus, aerosolizing it would create the threat of airborne distribution.
Mix an ebola patient, a drone and a single insane person and we have some serious problems.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
September 13, 2014, 09:53:34 AM
The current ebola virus is mutating very rapidly, therefore some experts are worried that it will become airborne

I am not 100% sure, but as far as I know, a non-airborne virus will not mutate to airborne virus. There is not a single example in recorded history for something like this happening.

Agree that it is unlikely. However, it has already been shown that Ebola can spread through the air between infected animals: "Here we show ZEBOV transmission from pigs to cynomolgus macaques without direct contact" http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html?message-global=remove&goback=.gde_4429892_member_187356406

"Under conditions of the current study, transmission of ZEBOV could have occurred either by inhalation (of aerosol or larger droplets), and/or droplet inoculation of eyes and mucosal surfaces and/or by fomites due to droplets generated during the cleaning of the room."
legendary
September 13, 2014, 09:33:29 AM

Meanwhile, there is good news from Senegal. So far, the disease seems to be limited to the first reported case. None of the others are infected. But at the same time, the news from WHO is that an unrelated Ebola epidemic is rapidly spreading in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
September 13, 2014, 09:18:50 AM
The current ebola virus is mutating very rapidly, therefore some experts are worried that it will become airborne:

"some of the nation's top infectious disease experts worry that this deadly virus could mutate and be transmitted just by a cough or a sneeze.
"It's the single greatest concern I've ever had in my 40-year public health career," said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota."

"It's frightening to look at how much this virus mutated within just three weeks," said Dr. Pardis Sabeti, an associate professor at Harvard and senior associate member of the Broad Institute"

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/

legendary
September 11, 2014, 10:31:05 AM
News coming in that Bill Gates has donated $50 million to fight Ebola. May god bless him.

More than 1,200 people have died of Ebola in Liberia, and just two out of the 15 counties are currently Ebola-free (Grand Kru and Maryland). Alarmingly, as the treatment centers are full, hundreds of infected individuals are being turned away untreated back to their villages right now.
legendary
September 09, 2014, 12:23:43 PM
Ebola won't be that bad for the world, though.

It can get extremely bad for the world, if some of the crowded slums in Lagos or Monrovia gets infected.

It needs proper conditions to thrive, and it's too efficient to spread fast enough.

What you said might have been true a few decades ago. But nowadays, tens of millions of people do international travel everyday. And it takes just a few hours to travel from one country to another, which is much shorter than the average incubation / gestational time for Ebola.
September 09, 2014, 12:05:21 PM
Here are the latest numbers from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone: As of 6 September 4269 cases and 2288 deaths. 47% of deaths has occured in last 21 days.

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/132834/1/roadmapupdate8sept14_eng.pdf

Activity: 482
LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com
September 08, 2014, 04:56:37 AM
I hope that they find a way to solve the problem.
Ebola is a virus that involves people a close contact and with more
exposition to the sick people, but the lethality is very high anyway.
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
September 08, 2014, 01:02:41 AM
Ebola won't be that bad for the world, though. It needs proper conditions to thrive,
and it's too efficient to spread fast enough.
That's also not mentioning the fact that something
like Ebola would be shot down in a first world country's hospital
legendary
September 07, 2014, 08:19:21 AM
Hmm.... maybe now it is the time to take this epidemic more seriously, as it seems that it will arrive in the European Union in a few days time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746452/UK-ebola-fear-21-000-African-students-countries-affected-regions-arrive.html

Meanwhile, Ebola continues to spread in Port Harcourt (Nigeria). 3 cases have been confirmed till now. Remember that Port Harcourt is home to a large number of EU citizens, who work in the petroleum sector.
Activity: 588
September 07, 2014, 01:24:12 AM
The authorities have been deliberately flying Ebola carriers around the world for some time now. This isn't incompetence, it's strategy.

I don't want to get in to the conspiracy theories. But your post remembers me of an incident which happened during the 1980s.

At that time, HIV was a disease which was almost 100% confined to the homosexual community. A lot of people were dying of the disease (there were no ARVs back then), and the gays were accusing the government of deliberately exterminating them by releasing a previously unknown virus. So some of the homosexuals in California invented a strategy. They encouraged the infected gays to donate blood (hiding their status), so that more and more individuals from the general population would get the disease. That strategy was a total success. A lot of attention was generated, when people like Ryan White got infected.
That is disgusting. I do not have anything against gay people. However if someone were to purposefully try to get other people infected with an incurable disease/virus then they are truly evil and should be prosecuted. If this kind of thing had not happened then it would be possible that people with the virus had simply died off and it would cease to have spread.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359
September 07, 2014, 01:17:26 AM
centauribit

Are you trying to increment your post counter?
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
September 07, 2014, 01:13:39 AM
What is Ebola?
Ebola virus disease, which used to be called Ebola haemorrhagic fever, was named after the river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where one of the first two villages to report cases in 1976 was located. The other was in Sudan. Ebola is a severe viral illness with a sudden onset that comes from direct contact with infected living or dead rainforest animals, including chimpanzees, gorillas, monkeys, fruit bats, forest antelope and porcupines. It kills up to 90% of those who are infected.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
September 06, 2014, 05:07:44 PM
But due to incompetence from the authorities, they were allowed to travel.

The authorities have been deliberately flying Ebola carriers around the world for some time now. This isn't incompetence, it's strategy.

You would think if there were an organised and deliberate activity underway, there might be some effect of this?

In 2006, Ebola was identified as an "extinction event" to the WHO if an outbreak went uncontained.
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-2006-mathematical-model-shows-how-ebola-could-wipe-us-out
legendary
September 06, 2014, 09:18:28 AM

I don't want to get in to the conspiracy theories. But your post remembers me of an incident which happened during the 1980s.

At that time, HIV was a disease which was almost 100% confined to the homosexual community. A lot of people were dying of the disease (there were no ARVs back then), and the gays were accusing the government of deliberately exterminating them by releasing a previously unknown virus. So some of the homosexuals in California invented a strategy. They encouraged the infected gays to donate blood (hiding their status), so that more and more individuals from the general population would get the disease. That strategy was a total success. A lot of attention was generated, when people like Ryan White got infected.
Activity: 722
September 06, 2014, 03:10:10 AM
But due to incompetence from the authorities, they were allowed to travel.

Pages:
Jump to: