Pages:
Author

Topic: Are the Nvidia 3000 Series the BEST GPUs for MINING EVER?! RTX 3070, 3080, 3090 - page 11. (Read 7593 times)

Activity: 729
Merit: 114
My Gigabyte 3080 drops hashing after mining for a minute or two.

Tried changing risers and power connectors to no avail.

I have Silverstone Platinum PSU 1200 W.

The hashrate drops on both everything stock and TDP at 80 or 70 or any other value as well.

I have the same issue as you, with an RTX 3080 Gigabyte Eagle OC. Starts out at 88Mh, slowly dropping to 77Mh.
I installed the GPU straight on the motherboard. I noticed that the reason for this is that the core clock is dropping automatically to around 1000Mhz for some reason.
Also, total power consumption according to Phoenix miner is around 200W. (same thing with Claymore btw)

Did you find a solution for this problem? Thanks

okay there is no solution. the caps are a poor design and they cause memory to overheat.

what can you do?

downclock

and jack the fan.

set fan to 85%
set tdp to 65
set ram freq just under stock
set core to 900

you will get about 80mh but power use should be a lot lower. 175 watts

if you can manage to blow air with a fan on the caps in question do so.

come back and let us know what these settings do.

once cards are in stock say jan or feb turn it back for a rma as the new ones should have better caps.

which caps are you talking about?  Why would the caps only get hot while mining memory intensive workloads?
The card doesn't throttle on benchmarks even while hitting core temps of 70+

memory frequency the higher it is the more it stresses the cap designed to filter noise etc. noise make heat.

so yeah better thermal pads help somewhat but multiple cap designs tweaks to multiple frequency points will help.  since setting ram to a lower frequency does not ruin warranty do it. and the gear will be better.

here is a link

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.55556493

it should help you understand the safest temporary fix for a shit card like the gigabyte is clock the ram lower

and rma in jan  or whenever they fix the cap patterns

Yeah I knew about these cap issue but internet mentioned they weren't as bad as originally thought they would be.
Anyways I've ordered some thermal pads will see.  My plan was put some near the memory chips are between the backplate and pcb.  Can check if the caps could be given some thermal padding too.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

The hashrate drops on both everything stock and TDP at 80 or 70 or any other value as well.

I have the same issue as you, with an RTX 3080 Gigabyte Eagle OC. Starts out at 88Mh, slowly dropping to 77Mh.
I installed the GPU straight on the motherboard. I noticed that the reason for this is that the core clock is dropping automatically to around 1000Mhz for some reason.
Also, total power consumption according to Phoenix miner is around 200W. (same thing with Claymore btw)

okay there is no solution. the caps are a poor design and they cause memory to overheat.

what can you do?

downclock

and jack the fan.

set fan to 85%
set tdp to 65
set core to 900

once cards are in stock say jan or feb turn it back for a rma as the new ones should have better caps.

which caps are you talking about?  Why would the caps only get hot while mining memory intensive workloads?

memory frequency the higher it is the more it stresses the cap designed to filter noise etc. noise make heat.

so yeah better thermal pads help somewhat but multiple cap designs tweaks to multiple frequency points will help.  since setting ram to a lower frequency does not ruin warranty do it. and the gear will be better.

here is a link

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.55556493

it should help you understand the safest temporary fix for a shit card like the gigabyte is clock the ram lower

and rma in jan  or whenever they fix the cap patterns
Activity: 145
Merit: 10
If you look at gamers nexus tear down of the gigabyte eagle oc model, there are a couple of memory thermal pads that are not making full contact. The pads also lookreally thick.

Have you considered/tried removing the cooler and replacing the pads?

what can you do?

downclock

and jack the fan.

set fan to 85%
set tdp to 65
set core to 900

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
downclock

and jack the fan.

set fan to 85%
set tdp to 65
set core to 900

Not worth the hassle, what is the point of buying a gpu that you can't use it fully? terrible job, no good cooling, gpu won't last long, so forget, reason you people need to wait reviews and see how thermal tests fare.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

what can you do?

downclock

and jack the fan.

set fan to 85%
set tdp to 65
set core to 900

it's thermal throttling the GPU on memory intensive algos.  Try opening gpu-z and running ethash.  when the core frequency drops it would show perfcap as 'Thrm'.
Something is getting quite hot on that GPU either the VRM or GDDR6X modules.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0

Activity: 121
Merit: 2

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026

Do you have data on this leak? After all, it can be a good advertising move from AMD.
If new AMD video cards have a high hash rate and the same energy consumption, then there will be very few of these video cards in stores.

For example, I buy 2 pieces of 5600 xt:
80 mh  $ 680 and 170 watts of consumption.
Will the new cards be better?

There's a lot of sites talking about this leak
You can check here: https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-navi-gpu-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked/

AMD cards usually are better to mine ETH and will probably be more efficient than 3080 doing 100mhs with 250w

Thanks. Today I bought video cards in a large store(One of the 3 largest stores in Russia) and asked the sellers about the RTX 3070. In a week the sales should start, but there are no video cards in the central warehouse.The order Manager told me that.
I was offered to buy RTX 3090 for $ 2617 Grin Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

Do you have data on this leak? After all, it can be a good advertising move from AMD.
If new AMD video cards have a high hash rate and the same energy consumption, then there will be very few of these video cards in stores.

There's a lot of sites talking about this leak
You can check here: https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-big-navi-gpu-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked/

AMD cards usually are better to mine ETH and will probably be more efficient than 3080 doing 100mhs with 250w
legendary
The 3070 will be the greatest xx70 failure of all time to date. People will prefer to buy a 3060ti or a 3080 than the 3070 hehe
https://www.proshop.de/RTX-30series-overview
Are you sure you can buy the 3070?
They will be snapped up by bots and store employees.
A friend bought 10 RTX 3080 at $ 1000 apiece. He uses 6 pieces for mining, and he sold 4 pieces at $ 1,500 apiece within 2 days. Profit Smiley

I hope he sells the other ones he has because from the last leak, rx 6800xt is as fast as 3080. Nobody will pay more than 1000 usd for it in few days.

Xtreme Monster
I'm surprised the DeFi thing lasted as long as it did.

BTC broke $13K, maybe ETH will go for a 2nd run. It's back over $400 but hashrate is up 50% from 3 months ago.

DEFI fees made a lot of people start mining again and then the same DEFI fees are making and made many to leave mining again hehe

People mining eth are hanging in there for now because no eips that reduce eth mining reward got through yet.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
The 3070 will be the greatest xx70 failure of all time to date. People will prefer to buy a 3060ti or a 3080 than the 3070 hehe
A friend bought 10 RTX 3080 at $ 1000 apiece. He uses 6 pieces for mining, and he sold 4 pieces at $ 1,500 apiece within 2 days. Profit Smiley

10 RTX 3080s? Isn't that ½ of what nVidia produced in the first batch? I kid I kid, it's a quarter.

Sometimes it's just easier to make money flipping the cards instead of flipping the bits. I made more money selling power supplies and 4 year old hardware than I did mining for about 4 months. I'm surprised the DeFi thing lasted as long as it did.

BTC broke $13K, maybe ETH will go for a 2nd run. It's back over $400 but hashrate is up 50% from 3 months ago.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059

I hope he sells the other ones he has because from the last leak, rx 6800xt is as fast as 3080. Nobody will pay more than 1000 usd for it in few days.

nvidia 3080 price ended in $1000 or more, not around $800. competition is good, i have no problem switching back to AMD cards once i see good hashrates.
Xtreme Monster

legendary
Xtreme Monster
Since when is November ending?
On my side of the planet it’s not arrived yet.
Official sales of the 3070 should begin in 7-8 days. These video cards are already in warehouses in stores.
I read in the news today in the news that on October 30 stores will start selling these video cards.

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1615
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
Official sales of the 3070 should begin in 7-8 days. These video cards are already in warehouses in stores.
I read in the news today in the news that on October 30 stores will start selling these video cards.
Activity: 124
Merit: 2
rtx 3070 was promised to be shown to us in November 2020. November is already ending, and there is still not a single leak about the Ethereum hashrate.
I am sure that these video cards have already been produced and are already on their way to various stores around the world.

Pages:
Jump to: