Pages:
Author

Topic: Are the Nvidia 3000 Series the BEST GPUs for MINING EVER?! RTX 3070, 3080, 3090 - page 10. (Read 7593 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Having the same issue as others. ASUS TUF 3080 non-OC. Hashrate is varying, usually get between 95-75. Currently a bit more stable at 88-94 using 70 PL, -121 Core Clock, +1099 Memory Clock. Hoping this issue somehow gets resolved (if it isn't the caps) or i'll be returning before my 30 days is up.

I dont want to jinx your card, but mine started just like yours. Try it with +0 at memories and see if you get a stable MH/s rate.
Update:
Using TDP at 55%; Mems at -2000/Core -300 (Aorus engine); Coolers at 90% - 79MH/s ~202W
Activity: 729
Merit: 114
so far the only 3080's that have been reported as fairly good are the avgas and asus rog
both have proper cap mix so no crashing at high ram settings and maybe proper thermal pads.

What I am suggesting is I do have a 3080 TUF which isn't using mix caps but all MLCC and doesn't throttle so one example where it doesn't explain why throttling would be cause of one type of caps.
Memory cooling on other hand is unknown both because of pads and also because we don't have any reporting for GDDR6X temperatures.  Also the backplate is non vented for the gigabyte card.  The only other card that I am aware of using SP caps only is Zotac.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Hi guys,

I have the same problem here. Im using a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC.

The only settings that I dont get a Thermal Throttling is: TDP - 52%; Mems: -500; Core -500; Fans - 90%, this give me 72 MH/s at 190W.

It took me days to find this thread and finally discover why my RTX 3080 dont generate the 100 MH/s.

Anyone has found a solution that doesnt involve voiding the warranty? Because I cannot disassambly the cooler without voiding the warranty (at least here in my country).

Also, I have a friend with a Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC with the same problem.

Never ever go cheap with cards and expect wonders... If you cant disassemble the crap coolers and lower the clocks is no option anymore, increase the fan speed further and/or use external 3000(+) high pressure fans in addition (like the Noctua Industrial). But this will hurt the lifespan of the original fans even more. So expect to replace them in the near future.

Go cheap? Its a bloody RTX 3080 card, even the entry level RTX 3080 is far cry from cheap, It SHOULD work properly. I dont really care about the lifespan of the fans, since this card has a 4 year warranty here.

I haven't watched all of hardware unboxed videos to see their reviews on this specific Gigabyte model but if you're dropping TDP down to 1/2 and lowering the clocks across the board you're basically only using 1/2 the card. I would just sell the card locally for a nice markup and find a different model of card or just buy the crypto directly. The Gigabyte doesn't have mixed caps so it was probably going to have issues right off the bat.

A friend got the Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC with the fancy MLCC caps and has the same problem. I dont think that is a cap issue, Gigabyte uses the 470u caps instead of the 220u caps (ZOTAC like), more than the double specified by nvidia.

It`s revolting that they have done something like that.

As Phil noted this is a case where mixed caps seems to filter multiple frequencies so that the heat buildup does get to extremes (see futher back in the thread for a chart he linked). Both the Asus and Gigabyte are thus bad models to use for mining because they're going with a single cap type. Obviously nVidia will remedy this with Rev 2 cards from AIB just like Asus had to RMA all those bad RX 5700 XTs that made poor thermal contact. Honestly, this is all nVidia's desire to say they were first to market even if it was a paper launch. Their Founders Editions had 6+ months to test out configs that worked and it looks like AIBs got screwed by having to rush to production.

Sometimes you get lucky buying the first batch because you might get better binned VRAM or higher binned chips (whereas lower yield chips would be saved for some cut-down refresh card). Sometimes you get screwed by meeting design defects and get to be the guinea pig. In this I couldn't even be a guinea pig because I could get my hands on one.

It still games well though as no game is going to run a constant 300w TDP through it. If you want the hashes, sell the card for a profit and just pick up a Founders edition. Phil sitting on 94MH/s sounds decent.

I have trouble getting my head around this explanation. The caps issue had to do with the cards being unstable when it boosted to high clocks - a remedy was to reduce the max clock speed.

Igorslab has done a test and showed high memory temps on the FE. The slowdown  in hashrates is very similar to my sapphire rx5700 when the memory temp reaches 104-106C.
It wouldn't surprise me if the AIB models that have this hashrate drop issue cheaped out on thermal pad quality.

Perhaps the reason why you are not seeing hashrate drops on higher end, mixed cap models is because they didn't cheap out on the memory cooling.

Well the original idea first brought out was  mixed caps allow for filtering more noise on more frequencies not my idea.  My thread had all the links.  others have done some teardowns and added high quality  thermal pads. with some decent results. later not first.

So  proper testing is get 3 shitty gpus  models with one cap style

get 3 good gpus models with mixed cap style

do teardown on all six pull all thermal pads on all six.

run all six at lowest power settings and low core setting and low ram setting.

then measure ram memory temps on all six.

if they all over heat equally then it is not mixed caps

After reading newer evidence from guys like you about pads and older evidence from the links in my thread

I suspect caps and pads are the issue.  with a third possibility that the actual ram itself could be better quality in the evgas I use.

Time will tell and it will get teased out , but I am thinking the buying mixed capped evga 3080's seems like best solution short term.

It might not be just cheapo thermal pads but can also be that the Gigabyte in particular is using flat backplate with no thermal pads between the backside of pcb and the memory gets hotter there on GDDR6/6X modules?

so far the only 3080's that have been reported as fairly good are the avgas and asus rog

both have proper cap mix so no crashing at high ram settings and maybe proper thermal pads.

So no over heating.  some screen shots pretty good numbers one card seems better then the other .

moboard is an old z170 with 4gb ram a usb stick and 4400t cpu.

Hi guys,

The only settings that I dont get a Thermal Throttling is: TDP - 52%; Mems: -500; Core -500; Fans - 90%, this give me 72 MH/s at 190W.

It took me days to find this thread and finally discover why my RTX 3080 dont generate the 100 MH/s.

Anyone has found a solution that doesnt involve voiding the warranty? Because I cannot disassambly the cooler without voiding the warranty (at least here in my country).

Never ever go cheap with cards and expect wonders... If you cant disassemble the crap coolers and lower the clocks is no option anymore, increase the fan speed further and/or use external 3000(+) high pressure fans in addition (like the Noctua Industrial). But this will hurt the lifespan of the original fans even more. So expect to replace them in the near future.

Go cheap? Its a bloody RTX 3080 card, even the entry level RTX 3080 is far cry from cheap, It SHOULD work properly. I dont really care about the lifespan of the fans, since this card has a 4 year warranty here.

I haven't watched all of hardware unboxed videos to see their reviews on this specific Gigabyte model but if you're dropping TDP down to 1/2 and lowering the clocks across the board you're basically only using 1/2 the card. I would just sell the card locally for a nice markup and find a different model of card or just buy the crypto directly. The Gigabyte doesn't have mixed caps so it was probably going to have issues right off the bat.

A friend got the Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC with the fancy MLCC caps and has the same problem. I dont think that is a cap issue, Gigabyte uses the 470u caps instead of the 220u caps (ZOTAC like), more than the double specified by nvidia.

As Phil noted this is a case where mixed caps seems to filter multiple frequencies so that the heat buildup does get to extremes (see futher back in the thread for a chart he linked). Both the Asus and Gigabyte are thus bad models to use for mining because they're going with a single cap type. Obviously nVidia will remedy this with Rev 2 cards from AIB just like Asus had to RMA all those bad RX 5700 XTs that made poor thermal contact. Honestly, this is all nVidia's desire to say they were first to market even if it was a paper launch. Their Founders Editions had 6+ months to test out configs that worked and it looks like AIBs got screwed by having to rush to production.

Sometimes you get lucky buying the first batch because you might get better binned VRAM or higher binned chips (whereas lower yield chips would be saved for some cut-down refresh card). Sometimes you get screwed by meeting design defects and get to be the guinea pig. In this I couldn't even be a guinea pig because I could get my hands on one.

It still games well though as no game is going to run a constant 300w TDP through it. If you want the hashes, sell the card for a profit and just pick up a Founders edition. Phil sitting on 94MH/s sounds decent.

I have trouble getting my head around this explanation. The caps issue had to do with the cards being unstable when it boosted to high clocks - a remedy was to reduce the max clock speed.

Igorslab has done a test and showed high memory temps on the FE. The slowdown  in hashrates is very similar to my sapphire rx5700 when the memory temp reaches 104-106C.
It wouldn't surprise me if the AIB models that have this hashrate drop issue cheaped out on thermal pad quality.

Perhaps the reason why you are not seeing hashrate drops on higher end, mixed cap models is because they didn't cheap out on the memory cooling.

Well the original idea first brought out was  mixed caps allow for filtering more noise on more frequencies not my idea.  My thread had all the links.  others have done some teardowns and added high quality  thermal pads. with some decent results. later not first.

So  proper testing is get 3 shitty gpus  models with one cap style

After reading newer evidence from guys like you about pads and older evidence from the links in my thread

I suspect caps and pads are the issue.  with a third possibility that the actual ram itself could be better quality in the evgas I use.

Time will tell and it will get teased out , but I am thinking the buying mixed capped evga 3080's seems like best solution short term.

It might not be just cheapo thermal pads but can also be that the Gigabyte in particular is using flat backplate with no thermal pads between the backside of pcb and the memory gets hotter there on GDDR6/6X modules?
Activity: 145
Merit: 10
yeah can't go wrong with evga.

You should get these instead  Grin
legendary
Hi guys,

Well the original idea first brought out was  mixed caps allow for filtering more noise on more frequencies not my idea.  My thread had all the links.  others have done some teardowns and added high quality  thermal pads. with some decent results. later not first.

So  proper testing is get 3 shitty gpus  models with one cap style

I suspect caps and pads are the issue.  with a third possibility that the actual ram itself could be better quality in the evgas I use.

Activity: 145
Merit: 10
Hi guys,

legendary
second evga is in.

doing 535 watts on kwatt meter

and about 185 mh

settings on simple miner are

core    -100
ram    1500
watts    230

fans 65%
temp 70

one card may want tweaking
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
In mining you need "temperature space" where the area is cool enough to run those 3080's, increasing fan speed of those cards are temporary fix or a minor fix.

Just like you need to have "electrical space" where you can pull enough amps from your circuit for mining to be worth your time.

Just like you need "dirt space" where you don't have to clean your cards.. like every week hehe

Just like "noise space" where you can still function as a normal human away from mining.

Just like "plain space" where you have enough room for those cards.

DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
Hi guys,

my evga arrived today. mixed caps.

dead solid at 94.5mh

230 watts no issues.

the asus tuf has one cap not mixed.

what a cap does you would realize the problem is

470u vs 220u

means the 470u filters lower frequency better.

and the 220u filters higher frequency better.

so if you have one or the other you miss a section of frequency noise which cause more heat.

If you have both sizes like the evga has it works on both sets of frequencies which means less heat on the ram.

every model with all caps the same sucks

and models like evga with both caps work better.

Since soldering new caps is next to impossible for most people putting in really good thermal pads will help
somewhat.

But don’t  buy a 3080 unless it has mixed caps.

Unfortunately I would like to add a data point to this.  I also tried with a TUF 3080 which has all MLCC caps.
https://imgur.com/a/UErgjR2

It throttled when the fan were turned down below 50% and temperatures were allowed to rise then I switched it to auto again and saw the core frequency rise back and Thrm perfcap move to Idle.

This feels like the GDDR6X modules getting way hotter and throttling the GPU core rather than a cap issue.  It might not be able to drop to lower power state though in which I would expect the GDDR6X clocks to drop as well.
The gigabyte card too was able to maintain hashrate to larger extent once the fans were set to 100%.

@joseph32 the TUF is $699 MSRP and implemented a separate heatsink for memory modules.  Gigabyte Gaming OC card is $749 MSRP.  Go figure.
legendary
my evga arrived today. mixed caps.

dead solid at 94.5mh

230 watts no issues.

the asus tuf has one cap not mixed.

what a cap does you would realize the problem is

470u vs 220u

means the 470u filters lower frequency better.

and the 220u filters higher frequency better.

so if you have one or the other you miss a section of frequency noise which cause more heat.

If you have both sizes like the evga has it works on both sets of frequencies which means less heat on the ram.

every model with all caps the same sucks

and models like evga with both caps work better.

Since soldering new caps is next to impossible for most people putting in really good thermal pads will help
somewhat.

But don’t  buy a 3080 unless it has mixed caps.
Hi guys,

legendary
Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002
in year 2015 r9 390 is 8gb. 3070 is 8gb in 4th quarter of 2020. even gamers will despise that card LOL

3070 is equal to 2080ti performance? 2080ti is still almost equal to 1080ti performance, 1080ti is circa 2017

3070 is garbage.

if 3080 vs 3090 for mining...

..is like 280x vs 290/390, then 3090 is waste of money and power (vrams that are not utilized consumes power, cost more than 2x of 3080)

..is like 1080 vs 1080ti, then maybe 3090 is a good card.
good point 3090 is waste even for gamer, maybe for video editing 8k usefull, no choice here

tahiti card is the first amd compute card, and beastly on double precision performance 1/4 ratio from single precision

is the first gpu widely consume by miner and scientic
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
Hi guys,

Hi guys,

Activity: 412
Merit: 21
Hi guys,

Hi guys,

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
Usually first time buyers are guinea pigs anyway. No wonder why there are too many issues.
Pages:
Jump to: