Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 252. (Read 808768 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500
June 20, 2013, 08:31:55 PM
Actually it is not unusual for China to require factories to shut down 1-2 days per week during periods of peak power demand.  And that includes the special economic zones.

This has even happened in the west. For 10 weeks in the 70s, Britain had a Three-Day_Week.

Yes it did. And i can still smell the uncollected rubbish on my school journey, and remember the frustrating electrical power cuts. It helped put Thacher into No.10

Different crisis. There were quite the fashion that decade, it's easy to confuse them. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
June 20, 2013, 08:25:37 PM
Actually it is not unusual for China to require factories to shut down 1-2 days per week during periods of peak power demand.  And that includes the special economic zones.

This has even happened in the west. For 10 weeks in the 70s, Britain had a Three-Day_Week.

Yes it did. And i can still smell the uncollected rubbish on my school journey, and remember the frustrating electrical power cuts. It helped put Thacher into No.10
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
June 20, 2013, 06:30:11 PM
[...] For 10 weeks in the 70s [...]
Thank god, we've long passed this..
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
June 20, 2013, 06:22:50 PM
Actually it is not unusual for China to require factories to shut down 1-2 days per week during periods of peak power demand.  And that includes the special economic zones.

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
June 20, 2013, 05:48:05 PM
Rolling blackouts only make sense if the power plants are running near maximum capacity, which they should not be doing at night.
or if they have a major issue...

down here in Mexico, we get blackouts at night all the time.  usually when there is wind or thunderstorms.  It can be like that for days afterwards, where the power barely comes back enough to run 1/2 your stuff.

I believe there is throttled electricity at night in parts of India too. Now one would assume Friedcat would have explored the area's power grid before setting up shop. But this is the first summer for public ASICMINER correct? Possibility.

ASICMINER is located in Shenzhen, which was the first Special Economic Zone in China in the '80s and has been so ever since. The city is located just north of Hong Kong. My guess is that the power supply in each of the SEZ's is better than in the rest of mainland China. And I highly doubt that ASICMINER's datacenter doesn't have sufficient backup power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen_Special_Economic_Zone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Economic_Zones_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

Actually it is not unusual for China to require factories to shut down 1-2 days per week during periods of peak power demand.  And that includes the special economic zones.
Someone understand that happening must be a Chinese expert...
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
June 20, 2013, 04:40:48 PM
Rolling blackouts only make sense if the power plants are running near maximum capacity, which they should not be doing at night.

down here in Mexico, we get blackouts at night all the time.  usually when there is wind or thunderstorms.  It can be like that for days afterwards, where the power barely comes back enough to run 1/2 your stuff.

I believe there is throttled electricity at night in parts of India too. Now one would assume Friedcat would have explored the area's power grid before setting up shop. But this is the first summer for public ASICMINER correct? Possibility.

ASICMINER is located in Shenzhen, which was the first Special Economic Zone in China in the '80s and has been so ever since. The city is located just north of Hong Kong. My guess is that the power supply in each of the SEZ's is better than in the rest of mainland China. And I highly doubt that ASICMINER's datacenter doesn't have sufficient backup power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen_Special_Economic_Zone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Economic_Zones_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
June 20, 2013, 04:33:36 PM
Edit's my theory to they are testing their new lines  Wink
Batch 1 OK
Batch 2 OK
^^ How many is anyone's guess
Activity: 302
June 20, 2013, 04:03:25 PM

Activity: 476
June 20, 2013, 03:35:08 PM

down here in Mexico, we get blackouts at night all the time.  usually when there is wind or thunderstorms.  It can be like that for days afterwards, where the power barely comes back enough to run 1/2 your stuff.
June 20, 2013, 01:56:50 PM
well it sure is just speculation, but there is at least some evidence that has been cited before, such as friedcat's announcement that the new miners could be ready as early as end of June, mind July if I recall correctly.

Also I believe what speaks against rolling blackouts is the fact that it is currently nighttime where I think the miners are hosted. I would not expect electricity demand to be higher at night than say during the late afternoon hours. Rolling blackouts only make sense if the power plants are running near maximum capacity, which they should not be doing at night.
June 20, 2013, 01:50:11 PM
i think they were just moving blades into new server racks enclosures. It is huge job and slow, not like trowing vacuum cleaners into server rack. you need to switch blades off, disconnect cables, remove blades from old enclosure and so on. Even if you will work 24h a day it will take A LOT of time. that is why hashing rate went down for a while.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Probably someone is preparing for more to come and is shifting / replacing stuff.

where does this keep coming from?  do you have anything to base that on?

The most likely scenario is that China is having power supply issues.  There are actual reports of power issues in the province where AM is located.
June 20, 2013, 01:36:06 PM
i think they were just moving blades into new server racks enclosures. It is huge job and slow, not like trowing vacuum cleaners into server rack. you need to switch blades off, disconnect cables, remove blades from old enclosure and so on. Even if you will work 24h a day it will take A LOT of time. that is why hashing rate went down for a while.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Probably someone is preparing for more to come and is shifting / replacing stuff.
Activity: 294
Merit: 100
June 20, 2013, 01:31:09 PM

On the verge of another hashrate drop?

http://www.dpcapital.net/blockchain/?hours=1,2,4,8
Just variance...or you can use it to convincing others people selling their shares ...I would happy to buy them ~~~

I dunno.. That's a lot of variance.

It is possible, but we have no way to determine what the probability is unless we know the *actual* hashrate.
June 20, 2013, 01:14:03 PM

Just variance...or you can use it to convincing others people selling their shares ...I would happy to buy them ~~~
Activity: 294
Merit: 100
June 20, 2013, 11:48:40 AM

June 20, 2013, 11:43:15 AM
June 20, 2013, 09:13:52 AM
wow, it's back!

June 20, 2013, 09:01:29 AM
I hope he addresses the hash rate issue.  I think he'll probably talk about the new blades, too.
Activity: 82
June 20, 2013, 03:31:16 AM
I wonder what news friedcat will bring this time...waiting eagerly.
June 20, 2013, 01:23:01 AM
price seems t be stabilizing around 2.82-2.85.  That's a decent recovery, and shows the stock is fairly resilient, even against a lot of bad news (dividends, hashrate, share correction, etc)
Jump to: