Pages:
Author

Topic: ASUS B250 Mining Expert MB - 19 Cards! - page 25. (Read 31088 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
January 10, 2018, 02:16:49 PM
I have this card running with 10amd 580s, stable and mining zec at 3KH/s.    Just picked up 3 more xfx cards to add to it after I get drivers installed.   Hoping they release the update to add the remaining 6 cards.   I don't want to mix the Nvidia cards as simple mining doesn't allow that.   But for now I'm up and running smoothly.  Anyone have info on the update?
Activity: 312
January 10, 2018, 10:09:25 AM
You guys are better than me because I struggle to power 8 GPUs adequately. I cannot imagine trying to power 19 in a single PSU-- I am guessing a multiple PSU setup?

Hi.
Are u using the atx12v molex connectors?
I thought the point of this board was to having less cables. The asus website says that all u need is to connect the cards and good to go.

The board has direct plug ins for 3 PSU which is why it makes it such a great board for 13+ cards.  I just added my second PSU last week and it worked great. I like not having to link PSUs together using add2PSU.  They make it easy. Now if they would just release that bios update to handle the full board of cards that would be nice.
Activity: 378
Merit: 135
January 10, 2018, 09:51:14 AM
You guys are better than me because I struggle to power 8 GPUs adequately. I cannot imagine trying to power 19 in a single PSU-- I am guessing a multiple PSU setup?

The board has direct plug ins for 3 PSU which is why it makes it such a great board for 13+ cards.  I just added my second PSU last week and it worked great. I like not having to link PSUs together using add2PSU.  They make it easy. Now if they would just release that bios update to handle the full board of cards that would be nice.
Activity: 728
Merit: 115
January 10, 2018, 08:46:13 AM

I am using the one from QVL but that doesnt mean some other brand or model won't work, this is just what has been documented till now to work.
January 09, 2018, 01:12:39 PM

Correct. I'm using 3x evga g2 1600w.
Activity: 28
January 09, 2018, 12:38:33 PM
Maybe the board is NVIDIA Volta-ready and 19 cards are possible than... Wink
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
January 09, 2018, 06:04:16 AM
GPU's without display work like mining cards but gpu's with display dont work, so it might be related to that.
Activity: 413
Merit: 17
January 09, 2018, 04:06:09 AM
Might be an addressing limitation, though I'm still inclined to think it's just ASUS doing wierd stuff with their bios or perhaps trying to push their P106 cards (there aren't a lot of folks that MAKE the "mining specific" cards).

12-13 is an oddly specific number - ASRock and ASUS have 13; Biostar and AMD have 12; users with PCI-E multipliers get 12 as well, so I believe that there is an address limitation indeed. Mining cards count as a compute accelerator so they don't take up VGA address space, this could be the reason we can mix mining and regular cards on this motherboard.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
January 09, 2018, 02:52:16 AM
Might be an addressing limitation, though I'm still inclined to think it's just ASUS doing wierd stuff with their bios or perhaps trying to push their P106 cards (there aren't a lot of folks that MAKE the "mining specific" cards).

I Believe so too, one would think there would be an updated bios ready by now.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 08, 2018, 04:46:49 PM

Xtreme Monster
January 07, 2018, 07:01:45 PM
Mixing nvidia with amd cards is a losing battle. Forget it and don't ever do it, is more hassle than anything else I have ever seen in mining and the 13 gpu limit makes no sense, if it was amd or nvidia drivers then would be acceptable but is not, it's the board. i wonder if this has anything to do why asrock made a 13 gpu board and not 14 or more gpus. Maybe it must be something we dont know about yet.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 07, 2018, 04:12:33 PM
I want to buy this card but franky the story behind this board is fuzzy. I mean their claim is loud and clear «19 GPU» but in reality you can have 13 conventional GPU and 6 mining ones. Could you please give me clear answers to the following questions that everyone needs to hear? Grin

I still don't understand if I can mix AMD and Nvidia cards respectively on Windows / Linux. I want my GPU to be 100% GTX 1070 but this question could become crucial later on[/li]
[li]We all know that the issue is caused by Asus itself but I don't get if this is a clear bug or a wanted "feature"[/li]
[li]Asus promised a BIOS update (maybe) aimed to solve this bug (or feature?). What's the hell is going on? Their latest update doesn't change anything[/li]
[li]Final question: buy or pass? If we pass what is its closest alternative?[/li][/list]

You can mix AMD and NVidia on Windows easily, at a cost in stability.
 The jury is out but indicating "not" on recent LINUX version - the NVidia drivers and the AMD drivers USED to be able to coexist but that capability seems to have been dropped by NVidia around drivers version 361.
 It MIGHT still be possible via workarounds, but I've yet to get it working on anything more recent to date.

The 13 "real GPU" limit is DEFINITELY not a wanted feature - it may be a bug but I'm more inclined to think it's a "design decision for NO real or sensible reason".

ASUS seems to be VERY VERY slow about getting an update out to fix the issue - they appear to think that forcing folks to use a specific TYPE of GPU is acceptable, or whatever is causing them to have set that limitation up is being more difficult for them to FIX then they expected.

If you can get the board close to it's $150 MSRP, it's still a good option for a rig in the 8-13 card range, though perhaps somewhat overkill for the lower end of that range.
 The built-in PS management features are nice, and make the ACTUAL price a lot closer to all other options in that range then just the "raw price" compare would indicate.

Activity: 616
Merit: 250
January 07, 2018, 12:35:46 PM
Anyone is using this motherboard with unpowered risers?

Which is the real driver gpu limit in windows 10?
Xtreme Monster
January 07, 2018, 12:11:35 PM
the 13 card limit is very strange.
Activity: 285
Merit: 105
January 07, 2018, 12:07:10 PM
Does it make a change? with 32GB RAM?

no, i tried 8gb with 13amd 570 working good on windows.
and tried 16gb with 14amd 570, board will not post.
Activity: 285
Merit: 105
January 07, 2018, 12:06:07 PM

• I still don't understand if I can mix AMD and Nvidia cards respectively on Windows / Linux. I want my GPU to be 100% GTX 1070 but this question could become crucial later on
you can mix amd and nvidia on both windows and linux. 100% amd 13card works on both linux and windows, 100% 13card nvidia works on linux, i am unsure about windows.

• We all know that the issue is caused by Asus itself but I don't get if this is a clear bug or a wanted "feature"
sounds like a cash grab by asus for people to buy their mining p106 cards...

• Asus promised a BIOS update (maybe) aimed to solve this bug (or feature?). What's the hell is going on? Their latest update doesn't change anything
it was promised last month, they have broke their promise and are late on release... we are stuck here

• Final question: buy or pass? If we pass what is its closest alternative?
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H110%20Pro%20BTC+/index.asp best alternative.
otherwise if you can get asus b250 mining expert for under $200 then go for it! its still a great board!
Activity: 275
Merit: 11
January 07, 2018, 11:56:54 AM
Thanks for this informative thread.

Do you guys use the 3x atx12v connectors? I bet these could power the risers (and maybe the gpus?)

How much memory would u recommend for this? 2x8gb?
What cpu would u recommend? Celeron G3930?
I think I go with 2x 1300w and 1x 1600w to power all 570s, mb etc.
Hi,
In the first version of mobo manual was mentioned on couple of places that if you are want to use 8 or more gpus, is important to use 32GB ram for better system stability. Because I already had this ammount of ram at home, I am put it in to the rig...

I am not sure about the RAM. But I can tell you that my last mobo was Asrock h110 btc+ (8GB ram + celeron processor) and miner was hanging couple of times per day, some of the gpu just start show 0h/s and after that miner just crashed, but not the win10, so the watchdog was not able to make reset... I am tried almost everything, but nothing worked. I am switched gpus, risers, cables and so on, but the situation was the same, so I determined that was a fault of mobo. After that, I buy this Asus mobo, RAM and CPU, and from this point is almost like the fairytale, rig is stable more than month, without any single problem. Nothing was changed except the mobo, ram and cpu...
Activity: 22
January 07, 2018, 08:46:56 AM
I want to buy this card but franky the story behind this board is fuzzy. I mean their claim is loud and clear «19 GPU» but in reality you can have 13 conventional GPU and 6 mining ones. Could you please give me clear answers to the following questions that everyone needs to hear? Grin

• I still don't understand if I can mix AMD and Nvidia cards respectively on Windows / Linux. I want my GPU to be 100% GTX 1070 but this question could become crucial later on
  • We all know that the issue is caused by Asus itself but I don't get if this is a clear bug or a wanted "feature"
  • Asus promised a BIOS update (maybe) aimed to solve this bug (or feature?). What's the hell is going on? Their latest update doesn't change anything
  • Final question: buy or pass? If we pass what is its closest alternative?

Activity: 127
Merit: 1
http://fpgadeck.com/
January 07, 2018, 07:30:54 AM
Thanks for this informative thread.

Do you guys use the 3x atx12v connectors? I bet these could power the risers (and maybe the gpus?)

How much memory would u recommend for this? 2x8gb?
What cpu would u recommend? Celeron G3930?
I think I go with 2x 1300w and 1x 1600w to power all 570s, mb etc.
Hi,
In the first version of mobo manual was mentioned on couple of places that if you are want to use 8 or more gpus, is important to use 32GB ram for better system stability. Because I already had this ammount of ram at home, I am put it in to the rig...

Pages:
Jump to: