Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 109. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 03, 2013, 09:24:37 PM
Yes the ATX connector is at the bottom - so if you mean that's required for the Avalon then that would be problematic ...

http://eolref.ocztechnology.com/images/ZX_back_1.jpg

The PCI-e's are at the top and would not make a difference.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
August 03, 2013, 09:04:05 PM
My OCZ 1250 is 172mm

http://ocz.com/consumer/psu/zx-series-850w-1250w-power-supply/specifications
Says 175mm but It is a little less.

I bought mine about a month or so ago and it is definitely a bit under 175mm
That ruler is flexible and not exactly straight, as you can see, so that would mean maybe up to 1mm less again.

Click for a bigger pic

Edit: of course that isn't in an Avalon Tongue

Well... My 1250w PSU was less than 175mm also, and it still didn't fit. You need to take into consideration that you need to have room to plug in the PCIe & CPU power cables. My 1250w PSU would have fit if I didn't need to plug in the PCIe/CPU cables.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 03, 2013, 08:50:54 PM
My OCZ 1250 is 172mm

http://ocz.com/consumer/psu/zx-series-850w-1250w-power-supply/specifications
Says 175mm but It is a little less.

I bought mine about a month or so ago and it is definitely a bit under 175mm
That ruler is flexible and not exactly straight, as you can see, so that would mean maybe up to 1mm less again.

Click for a bigger pic

Edit: of course that isn't in an Avalon Tongue
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
August 03, 2013, 08:20:09 PM
The largest you could fit is possibly 185mm. The controller board starts at 190.

http://i.imgur.com/Xd6b9PK.jpg

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
August 03, 2013, 03:54:12 PM
I need to get a PSU for Batch 3 4 module.
I am thinking of OCZ 1250 as set out here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Power
Does anyone know if the requirements have changed compared to previous batches? In particular max dimensions as I understand its important to keep the PSU in the case to promote airflow.

I haven't measured the exact dimensions, but just know that the 1200w PSU I tried was too big to fit. I settled for a 1050w PSU which barely fit, and was still too large to put the top of the case back on.
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
August 03, 2013, 03:43:45 PM
I need to get a PSU for Batch 3 4 module.
I am thinking of OCZ 1250 as set out here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Power
Does anyone know if the requirements have changed compared to previous batches? In particular max dimensions as I understand its important to keep the PSU in the case to promote airflow.

Activity: 302
Merit: 252
August 03, 2013, 03:20:27 PM
Is somebody selling clones of this control boards?

I would also be interested in this.. I think my control board have a problem or where does it come from when the avalon section of cgminer screen went sometimes empty after some time of hashing ?

Any ideas? I don't think it is the router because I can access it normaly but the router seems to loose contact to the controller ?
Where to look for bugs ? It is an avalon batch 2 with controller V 1.5
Tried already different firmware and another PSU

Flash your router newly, un-check the keep-settings box. Helped me with the same problem.

already did that once, don't know if it was the same firmware.
But will try it again.

But I also cant get it get to work with a pie, if I plug the avalon in, cgminer says this after short time of hashing normally.
I think it's the controller board for the asic modules, so maybee I will sell the modules individual for people who wants a fourth module in their avalon..

Activity: 120
Merit: 100
August 02, 2013, 11:13:29 PM
Also how would you manage to exchange modules on a board? Cut it?

The small miner (have 10 chips on it) was designed for cut.
Activity: 120
August 02, 2013, 11:10:44 PM
Imho it's normal and you have little chance of changing anything. Don't give too much about the numbers....

Thanks.  I guess I will leave it alone then. 

The only other thing I am noticing is that the slower one produces 5% HW errors, and the other two are around 2%.  But even using avalon_auto doesn't change that, nor does running it at a lower frequency. 

This is because the chip have a lot of sha256 cores inside. as long as the chip passed hardware test, it's ok for product. pass hardware test not mean 100% core working. one or two may broken.

So you are luck get a 82G machine. (I guess 100% cores passed hardware test). the 79G is also nice. :-)

Xiangfu
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
August 02, 2013, 04:27:33 PM
I received my Batch 3 unit a few days ago and was hoping someone might be able to recommend someone to help me set it up. I've been mining with a BFGFPGA miner for some time and also the new Asic USB sticks so I do have a little experience. When I got the unit I discover that I need Unix so I installed Ubantu on one of my computers but am not up to speed on using it yet. I was a software test engineer until I retired so I do know a little about computers and software and I learn fast. My first computer was the Sol-20 by Processor Technology. If you haven't heard of it do a google search.

I'm willing to pay for help. I'm a disabled Vietnam Veteran and want to get my unit up and mining. Phone help would be a definite plus.

I'm surprised you found it difficult to configure. The wiki currently has difficulties for me but I could get it from Google cache (just google "Avalon setup", should be in the first entries).

The only thing you need is any system capable of web browsing you can setup on a specific IP address (192.168.0.101). Then you only have to use a navigator to connect to http://192.168.0.100.

Edit: you need Ethernet too. It may help us if you described your setup and what you tried.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
August 02, 2013, 03:58:04 PM
I received my Batch 3 unit a few days ago and was hoping someone might be able to recommend someone to help me set it up. I've been mining with a BFGFPGA miner for some time and also the new Asic USB sticks so I do have a little experience. When I got the unit I discover that I need Unix so I installed Ubantu on one of my computers but am not up to speed on using it yet. I was a software test engineer until I retired so I do know a little about computers and software and I learn fast. My first computer was the Sol-20 by Processor Technology. If you haven't heard of it do a google search.

I'm willing to pay for help. I'm a disabled Vietnam Veteran and want to get my unit up and mining. Phone help would be a definite plus.

I can try to walk anyone through the setup.  For pay, I would want all the mining output that the unit produces between now and Noon CDT on Monday, or about 3 days from the time I start.  If I set it up soon, I get more.  If I don't get it working soon enough, I don't get anything.

The risks are:
1.  Your unit is defective and it is not possible for me to succeed.
2.  You become impatient and do things that I have not requested, and I am no longer working on the configuration that I think I am.
3.  You don't have a proper router available.

Do you or a helper have the ability to move the unit, connect and disconnect cables quickly, and the like?

Oh, and I don't believe that you need to use Unix.  Any laptop or other computer that will connect to the internet can be used to do the configuration.  If you are using Windows, you do have to be logged in as an administrator.

Activity: 35
Merit: 0
August 02, 2013, 03:16:48 PM

Activity: 238
August 02, 2013, 11:23:51 AM

The only other thing I am noticing is that the slower one produces 5% HW errors, and the other two are around 2%.  But even using avalon_auto doesn't change that, nor does running it at a lower frequency. 

I guess you could theoretically try buying raw chips and trying to de-solder and re-solder them yourself.
legendary
Activity: 966
August 02, 2013, 11:17:02 AM
Imho it's normal and you have little chance of changing anything. Don't give too much about the numbers....

The only other thing I am noticing is that the slower one produces 5% HW errors, and the other two are around 2%.  But even using avalon_auto doesn't change that, nor does running it at a lower frequency.  

You could swap the modules around to isolate which is the slow one(s).
August 02, 2013, 10:27:55 AM

legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
August 02, 2013, 10:10:23 AM
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Not.

Can you elaborate?  Are you saying don't bother troubleshooting because it's normal?  Or something else?

Imho it's normal and you have little chance of changing anything. Don't give too much about the numbers, this is for a 2-module Avalon:

[match_work_count1] => 93877
   [match_work_count2] => 93617
   [match_work_count3] => 94072
   [match_work_count4] => 93691
   [match_work_count5] => 93578
   [match_work_count6] => 93646
   [match_work_count7] => 93869
   [match_work_count8] => 93004
   [match_work_count9] => 93233
   [match_work_count10] => 93724
   [match_work_count11] => 93743
   [match_work_count12] => 93655
   [match_work_count13] => 94141
   [match_work_count14] => 94080
   [match_work_count15] => 93962
   [match_work_count16] => 93753
   [match_work_count17] => 109
   [match_work_count18] => 141
   [match_work_count19] => 151
   [match_work_count20] => 107
   [match_work_count21] => 133
   [match_work_count22] => 109
   [match_work_count23] => 132
   [match_work_count24] => 162

means miners 17 to 24 are not even connected...

Also how would you manage to exchange modules on a board? Cut it?
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
August 02, 2013, 09:32:23 AM
Does anyone know a way to tell if I have any bad chips on my modules?
Have a look at your cgminer API log for out of average values for match_work_count, like this:

[match_work_count2] => 242475
   [match_work_count3] => 14287
   [match_work_count4] => 95
   [match_work_count5] => 242116
   [match_work_count6] => 242801

Next challenge will be to figure out which module that is, get a replacement and install it.

Or just leave it as it is and accept the minor difference!

The lowest number is within 3% of the highest.  Nothing crazy like what you have shown above.  I am leaning towards calling this worker "theslowlearner" in my mining pool, and just accepting it.  But i did want to see if it was something obvious I was missing.  thanks!
Yep, saw your numbers after I posted my message. It's clear that I have 2 of the 24 boards out of wack. I have accepted that this machine is performing a little less than average(~8%).

One day I will replace the 2 boards, when the availability and price are 'normal'.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
August 02, 2013, 09:21:45 AM
Have a look at your cgminer API log for out of average values for match_work_count, like this:

[match_work_count2] => 242475
   [match_work_count3] => 14287
   [match_work_count4] => 95
   [match_work_count5] => 242116
   [match_work_count6] => 242801

Next challenge will be to figure out which module that is, get a replacement and install it.

Or just leave it as it is and accept the minor difference!
August 02, 2013, 09:13:26 AM
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Not.

Can you elaborate?  Are you saying don't bother troubleshooting because it's normal?  Or something else?
legendary
Activity: 1064
August 02, 2013, 08:52:00 AM

Two of my Avalons run at 82Gh/s at 350, and the third maintains only 79Gh/s after several days, so variance is not the issue.  Thinking it was a bad PSU, I upgraded the power supply on the slow one to an OCZ ZX1250.  I alsodisabled wifi on all of them, and have 0703 firmware on all three. I set the fans to run 100% and temps are low to mid 40s.  I can't figure out why one is 3Gh/s slower.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

If you go to cgminer API log you can see the performance for each one of the 24 miners(with 10 chips)
this might give you a hint.
Jump to: