Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 112. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 27, 2013, 03:44:35 PM
Thanks ProfMac, turns out I just needed to press the scan button Roll Eyes

So did the reset work as instructed and did you have to reinstall cgminer?

Btw, I'd highly suggest using ethernet in the long run for more stability.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
July 27, 2013, 03:37:02 PM
Thanks ProfMac, turns out I just needed to press the scan button Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1246
July 27, 2013, 03:16:12 PM
Thanks for the help cypherdoc! I got it working, though I'm still having trouble getting the internet connected. It can't seem to connect wirelessly, I've got no signal. I put in my ESSID and BSSID and tried changing the transmit power and channel, but still nothing. I've got to split the reward with someone else, but send me a pm or reply with your address if you would like the reward. Thanks again!

The jumper on the TP-Link 703n between the antenna and transmitter has been removed, and the antenna pigtail attached.  You must have an external antenna to use wireless.  However, a straightened paper clip can be a temporary workaround.  But it is not protected from accidental shorting by touch, so get a real antenna, perhaps from an obsolete eBay router.
July 27, 2013, 03:09:35 PM
Thanks for the help cypherdoc! I got it working! I've got to split the reward with someone else, but send me a pm or reply with your address if you would like the reward. Thanks again!
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 27, 2013, 02:03:15 PM
Also, any guesses on the bandwidth requirements for these machines, the Avalons?

Pretty negligible, if I understand your question.  My Avalon [batch 2, black case] barely effects my network's access to the Internet.  Also, the reverse seems true as well.  I am able to stream Netflix, browse the web, FTP large files, without effecting the Avalon's performance from what I can tell.  I'd bet any DSL-equivalent Internet access speeds are sufficient.  I have cable access at about 6 Mbps up and down, but would trust a 1 Mbps up/down link to be more than sufficient for mining.

_theJestre

It depends on the share difficulty. If you're mining with diff 1 shares it will send several requests every second.  As you go up in share difficulty - you need fewer requests.

Really though, the requests should be tiny in size, even with diff 1 you're looking at barely anything at all, really. It looks like for me I'm getting about 2 getworks per minute (not second) - and a getwork is just a single line of JSON

here's an example of a stratium getwork signal (I think)

Code:
{"params": ["bf", "4d16b6f85af6e2198f44ae2a6de67f78487ae5611b77c6c0440b921e00000000",
"01000000010000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000ffffffff20020862062f503253482f04b8864e5008",
"072f736c7573682f000000000100f2052a010000001976a914d23fcdf86f7e756a64a7a9688ef9903327048ed988ac00000000", [],
"00000002", "1c2ac4af", "504e86b9", false], "id": null, "method": "mining.notify"}

Which about 385 bytes. So (385*2)/60 = 12 bytes per second
legendary
July 27, 2013, 01:34:27 PM
once you've reset open wrt, cgminer may or may not be in there.  if not, or even if it is, you should upgrade it to this:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20130703/
legendary
July 27, 2013, 01:26:01 PM
REWARD: 1 BTC if you can help me fix this today.

I have a used batch 2 avalon and I don't have the password. What is the easiest way to get it going? It's all set up with my info too, but it's not automatically connecting to my wireless and I can't login to change anything because I don't have the password. I've heard about resetting it by reflashing OpenWrt, but I don't see a reset button on the avalon and I don't want to mess it up. I also don't want to lose the system settings that have it overclocked, but I will if necessary.

if you find yourself in Failsafe Mode you may need to use telnet:

1. Reboot (Power Down and then UP) the router
2. When the blue LED starts flashing, press the RESET (inside the tiny
hole next to the mini-usb)
3. Stop pressing the RESET when the blue LED starts flashing quickly

At this time the router is in failsafe mode.

4. Telnet 192.168.0.100. It will take you to the root prompt.
5. Enter "firstboot" at the prompt to reset the router to default
6. Restart
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
July 27, 2013, 01:21:16 PM
I only ask as I was testing a unit on a different network and it hashed for a bit, but it felt like my ping died completely, severe packet loss that didn't exist prior. Strangely the Avalon lost and refused connection suddenly. Afteer disconnecting the Avalon the net problems absolved, my other network however is having no problems.

Must be something in this network. Thanks for all the responses.

I will say that I was having some strange problems after I first put my Avalon on my network.  My iPhones and some laptops were using the Avalon as DNS and router lol.  After I turned off DHCP on the Avalon, things seemed to go back to normal.  Since the Avalon has a router's firmware, that might be a good place to look for strange local network and routing problems.

_theJestre
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
July 27, 2013, 01:10:35 PM

I have a used batch 2 avalon and I don't have the password. What is the easiest way to get it going? It's all set up with my info too, but it's not automatically connecting to my wireless and I can't login to change anything because I don't have the password. I've heard about resetting it by reflashing OpenWrt, but I don't see a reset button on the avalon and I don't want to mess it up. I also don't want to lose the system settings that have it overclocked, but I will if necessary.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/3559/tlwr703ntop.jpg

At top right u have reset button. Push it for 10 seconds and your Tplink should reset to default settings with ip 192.168.0.100.
legendary
July 27, 2013, 01:09:23 PM

here are instructions to reset in Failsafe Mode:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

once you do that you'll need to reinstall cgminer 7/3
legendary
July 27, 2013, 12:59:58 PM

i think you're going to have to reset it to enable you to put in your own.
July 27, 2013, 12:58:13 PM

Activity: 302
Merit: 252
July 27, 2013, 12:44:17 PM
Is somebody selling clones of this control boards?

I would also be interested in this.. I think my control board have a problem or where does it come from when the avalon section of cgminer screen went sometimes empty after some time of hashing ?

Any ideas? I don't think it is the router because I can access it normaly but the router seems to loose contact to the controller ?
Where to look for bugs ? It is an avalon batch 2 with controller V 1.5
Tried already different firmware and another PSU

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
July 27, 2013, 10:13:21 AM
I am in the market for new pools for BTC, any suggestions? Also, are there any reputable pools for alt coins that aren't Coinotron? Seems like the only other one I remember closed down.

Also, I used to really like, and still do love, PPLNS when mining. But I haven't used PPLNS for BTC in months, and when looking at BTCGuild and considering their market share, it seems like a great situation. Why would you choose PPS with a higher fee when they have ~25% of the hash rate..? Or am I missing something?

Im using btcguild and pps scheme. It seems to say the fees are 7.5% ??

This is what's flooring me, a nearly 8% fee... Pretty sure I'll be directing all hash power to PPLNS shortly. That fee is unreal..

Having trouble pointing an Avalon @ Alt coins... any suggestions as to why?

Also, can't seem to connect anywhere that uses Getwork. IE pit.deepbit.com:8332 is socket error, same with Coinotron unless I add stratum. however, simply changing the port and etc for Coinotron that would normally allow me to mine alt coins does not do so, rather it just forces BTC. These mine SHA-256, is there some trick I am missing to mine more than BTC?

I have installed Ubuntu and eloipool in a virtualbox.  This works well with the test network for bitcoin.  It fails with bytecoin, an almost identical coin.

I had success using this setup to mine Terracoin.  However, it did not work for me for PPCoin.  I guess something's a little bit different.  I never tried any others.

I have since had success mining PPC very easily, Coinotron just sucks period. TRC is just broken, so I'm not bothering to try for fear of orphan blocks, and pools are closed... Anyone know of a solo TRC calculator?

Also, strangely, one of my units has a large amount of stale shares  (1.5% compared to others that are less than 1%). Any thoughts on why this would be ? out of 100k shares, this unit has 56 dupes, others units have ZERO... Settings are same across the board..
Activity: 364
July 27, 2013, 10:12:44 AM
I am in the market for new pools for BTC, any suggestions? Also, are there any reputable pools for alt coins that aren't Coinotron? Seems like the only other one I remember closed down.

Also, I used to really like, and still do love, PPLNS when mining. But I haven't used PPLNS for BTC in months, and when looking at BTCGuild and considering their market share, it seems like a great situation. Why would you choose PPS with a higher fee when they have ~25% of the hash rate..? Or am I missing something?

I have been happy with eligius. 0% fee PPS.  The catch is you only get paid when a block is found, so some of your coins get "shelved" until that happens.  Been there over a month though with my other miners and have had no issues getting paid.

So say I hash 5 BTC a day on average, they pay my PPS, but withhold until that block is found? What if it isn't found for a week? All the shares for the past week back paid or... ?

Trying some hash on BTCGuild PPS and PPLNS. I've always been a HUGE fan of PPLNS (Esp P2Pool), but the sheer hash amount + PPLNS attracts me majorly to BTCGuild. Running equal hash on PPS and PPLNS until I decide which I like...

Question - I can't find ANY info on Namecoin on BTCGuild.. just seems like I make one sometimes. It's automatically merge mining NMC? That's both for PPS and PPLNS?

Thanks !
Activity: 36
July 27, 2013, 09:22:26 AM
I am currently running firmware openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory_20130519b.

1. Is this the most up to date / stable firmware version?

I run ckolivas' 20130703 release, and find it to be more stable:

It has proper fan control too.

Excellent - this is now uploaded and running.
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
July 27, 2013, 09:18:29 AM
If I decide to use one Raspberry Pi instead of the three TP-Link routers, are there any known disadvantages? Is the clock frequency still set individually?
Also I feel that it would to my Avalons good to split them into smaller units, maybe only one modul per control board. Is somebody selling clones of this control boards?
Is it a problem if the control board is on a different power supply than the miner?
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
July 27, 2013, 08:16:33 AM
Having trouble pointing an Avalon @ Alt coins... any suggestions as to why?

Also, can't seem to connect anywhere that uses Getwork. IE pit.deepbit.com:8332 is socket error, same with Coinotron unless I add stratum. however, simply changing the port and etc for Coinotron that would normally allow me to mine alt coins does not do so, rather it just forces BTC. These mine SHA-256, is there some trick I am missing to mine more than BTC?

I have installed Ubuntu and eloipool in a virtualbox.  This works well with the test network for bitcoin.  It fails with bytecoin, an almost identical coin.

I had success using this setup to mine Terracoin.  However, it did not work for me for PPCoin.  I guess something's a little bit different.  I never tried any others.
Activity: 294
July 27, 2013, 08:15:57 AM

Im using btcguild and pps scheme. It seems to say the fees are 7.5% ??
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
July 27, 2013, 08:13:42 AM
I am currently running firmware openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory_20130519b.

1. Is this the most up to date / stable firmware version?

I run ckolivas' 20130703 release, and find it to be more stable:

It has proper fan control too.
Jump to: