Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 110. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
August 02, 2013, 08:42:14 AM
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Not.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
August 02, 2013, 07:41:52 AM
Hi

This is a late firmware release message Smiley, as you may know there is a new case design in batch3 machines. new case design come with new temperature sensor, this improvement make the temperature more close to the real chip temperature.

This new machine have to use this new firmware 20130723, please read the ChangeLog below for more information
  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#20130723

This release works just fine on old type. if you are in summer, I would advise setup:
  Target Temperature to 50℃ and Overheat Cut Off Temperature to 70℃ (this is my configure)

Also we have more overclock options in this release. just pay more attention on heatsink and PSU when you want do static overclock.

BTW:
  Some people report that some fpga controller not working. you may want read this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Issues
  the QFN re-work is not easy, you have to find the professional people doing this. (the ft232 have to clean before soldering again)

Again, please donate to cgminer developers.
  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Donation

Xiangfu
Activity: 206
August 02, 2013, 03:23:21 AM
Thanks mitac64.
Wireless was disabled (I'm using ethernet), but after your post I have checked and noticed I have a lot of WiFi related modules running. I've rmmoded them and now I'll make another try @325.
16h uptime @325 with wireless properly disabled. No need to replace TP-link it seems.
Thanks mitac64 for reminding me to read more carefully!
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
August 02, 2013, 02:22:17 AM
How would one go about buying one of these bad boys?

Simply jump in your Delorian, dial the flux capacitor to 1.21 Gigawatts, set your target to Feb 18, 2013 and floor it.

or check Bitcoin Forum > Economy > Marketplace > Auctions (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=73.0)

I can get a Delorian there?
Activity: 277
Merit: 254
August 02, 2013, 02:13:22 AM

Simply jump in your Delorian, dial the flux capacitor to 1.21 Gigawatts, set your target to Feb 18, 2013 and floor it.

or check Bitcoin Forum > Economy > Marketplace > Auctions (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=73.0)
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz
August 02, 2013, 12:55:50 AM

legendary
@theshmadz
August 02, 2013, 12:51:07 AM
Has anyone tried 375mhz air cooled?

I've been running at over 24 hours stable at 350mhz (105Gh-120Gh), and I'm getting that itch to try and bump it up a little more. I'm not sure if Avalon changed something to make it more stable overclocked or not and wondering you batch 1/2 guys experience with pushing over 350mhz.

I've been considering the best way to determine a sweet spot for my avalon...  currently running at 343 (it just "feels" like a nice balance between hashrate and HW errors), but now I'm getting that overclocking itch once again.

I'm trying to devise a method that is slightly more scientific than my gut feel. Perhaps it could even be integrated into some kind of algorithm that could be added to the firmware to improve the auto speed setting? I don't know if that's even possible. Also I'm not really sure what a lot of the numbers mean in the web interface cgminer status tab, so I'm just guessing at a lot of this. Corrections to my assumptions/mistakes would be appreciated.

So, I'm just guessing at what all those numbers really mean, but here's what I'm thinking.

if:
HW = Hardware errors
Diff1Shares = equivalent number of shares if submitting at difficulty 1 (not sure whether to use this or DiffA ? )
MHSav = MH/s average

then:
EHR = Effective Hash Rate = MHSav - ( MHSav * ( HW / Diff1Shares ) )

So, what I'm gonna do is just keep increasing or decreasing my Frequency until I can find maximum EHR. Makes sense?

DiffA is what work you get paid for as in accepted shares.

OK, what I'm unsure about is whether it is more accurate to use accepted shares or total submitted shares...

my thinking is that total shares would remove the variance of the latency or other problems with the pool, so they might be more accurate? But I am unsure of how the total shares are calculated... perhaps they include some types of hardware related problems and that is what causes them to not be accepted?

Still unsure on this, maybe I will run numbers on both, maybe the difference is trivial in the end?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
August 02, 2013, 12:42:50 AM
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
August 02, 2013, 12:31:48 AM

I've been running at over 24 hours stable at 350mhz (105Gh-120Gh), and I'm getting that itch to try and bump it up a little more. I'm not sure if Avalon changed something to make it more stable overclocked or not and wondering you batch 1/2 guys experience with pushing over 350mhz.

I've been considering the best way to determine a sweet spot for my avalon...  currently running at 343 (it just "feels" like a nice balance between hashrate and HW errors), but now I'm getting that overclocking itch once again.

I'm trying to devise a method that is slightly more scientific than my gut feel. Perhaps it could even be integrated into some kind of algorithm that could be added to the firmware to improve the auto speed setting? I don't know if that's even possible. Also I'm not really sure what a lot of the numbers mean in the web interface cgminer status tab, so I'm just guessing at a lot of this. Corrections to my assumptions/mistakes would be appreciated.

So, I'm just guessing at what all those numbers really mean, but here's what I'm thinking.

if:
HW = Hardware errors
Diff1Shares = equivalent number of shares if submitting at difficulty 1 (not sure whether to use this or DiffA ? )
MHSav = MH/s average

then:

So, what I'm gonna do is just keep increasing or decreasing my Frequency until I can find maximum EHR. Makes sense?

DiffA is what work you get paid for as in accepted shares.
legendary
@theshmadz
August 02, 2013, 12:01:38 AM

if:
HW = Hardware errors
MHSav = MH/s average

then:

Activity: 203
August 01, 2013, 10:43:01 PM
If anyone knows where I can get a new control unit for my B2 I would appreciate it. The one I have powers everything on except for the TP Link. (Version 1.5)
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
August 01, 2013, 10:25:13 PM

Activity: 254
August 01, 2013, 11:29:23 AM
Thanks mitac64.
Wireless was disabled (I'm using ethernet), but after your post I have checked and noticed I have a lot of WiFi related modules running. I've rmmoded them and now I'll make another try @325.
August 01, 2013, 05:15:22 AM
I have an Avalon3 4 modules, firmware 20130723.
After a few hours of hashing, some of the modules stops (once all stopped, once three of them, once two of them). The other(s) continue hashing.
Temperatures are normal, 21,65,50.
It happened @300 and @282MHz, although unit can hash @350MHz at least for a few hours.
I have measured power consumption at the wall and it's in normal PSU parameters.
When module(s) stop, there's this error in System Log:
Code:
usb 1-1: clear tt 1 (0030) error -71
Any ideas?
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
August 01, 2013, 12:51:08 AM
Code:
Uptime	20d 0h 38m 31s

Thank you, Con!!!

You're welcome

I needed mine up for an extended period since I'm currently travelling overseas for a few weeks:
Code:
uptime
 14:50:40 up 28 days, 15:58
It's what happens when the coder has the hardware himself.
E
Activity: 234
July 31, 2013, 10:33:31 PM
Code:
Uptime	20d 0h 38m 31s

Thank you, Con!!!
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
July 31, 2013, 12:43:40 PM
Btw, I'd highly suggest using ethernet in the long run for more stability.

This is my experience with wireless.  My avalon is in the basement to take advantage of cooler temperatures, so it is not feasible to use ethernet.

Seriously, what is up with this wifi phobia some people seem to have? It works perfectly fine, at least if you have an antenna, and probably without the antenna as well.

It makes sense to store the Avalon in the coolest area you have and/or somewhere were it won't heat up the whole house. Not everyone wants to run a long-ass Ethernet cable through their hallways, and why would you spend money on power-line networking when wifi works just fine for free?
... because my basement garage is under ground, 2 floors below me, enclosed in concrete where no wifi and not even my mobile phone works.
I also have a wifi attached to the switch down there so when I am in my garage, my phone wifi does work and I have internet access ... can even make Skype/Viber phone calls ...
Oddly enough, it's quite cool down there ...

Do you have TV coax running into the basement?  If so I'd suggest a pair of MoCa bridges at around $50ea.  I'm using MoCa to to bring IP into my bedroom because wifi has a hard time going through 3 50-year old walls with thick metal lath backing the plaster.  It's fast and solid.  If you have a TiVo Premiere you only need one external bridge since it has one built in.
I was explaining why I use a PowerLine that cost about $100 2 year ago.
It's a double (deep) garage where my car is and happens to have a power point and a light in it - not an entertainment room Smiley
Since I pay for electricity used down there I assumed (correctly) that the wiring in my unit goes to the power point down there also.

I get it, and thanks for the posting.  I don't need it today, but I like to know what other solutions exist, and how well they have worked for people.

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
July 31, 2013, 07:54:26 AM
Btw, I'd highly suggest using ethernet in the long run for more stability.

This is my experience with wireless.  My avalon is in the basement to take advantage of cooler temperatures, so it is not feasible to use ethernet.

Seriously, what is up with this wifi phobia some people seem to have? It works perfectly fine, at least if you have an antenna, and probably without the antenna as well.

It makes sense to store the Avalon in the coolest area you have and/or somewhere were it won't heat up the whole house. Not everyone wants to run a long-ass Ethernet cable through their hallways, and why would you spend money on power-line networking when wifi works just fine for free?
... because my basement garage is under ground, 2 floors below me, enclosed in concrete where no wifi and not even my mobile phone works.
I also have a wifi attached to the switch down there so when I am in my garage, my phone wifi does work and I have internet access ... can even make Skype/Viber phone calls ...
Oddly enough, it's quite cool down there ...

Do you have TV coax running into the basement?  If so I'd suggest a pair of MoCa bridges at around $50ea.  I'm using MoCa to to bring IP into my bedroom because wifi has a hard time going through 3 50-year old walls with thick metal lath backing the plaster.  It's fast and solid.  If you have a TiVo Premiere you only need one external bridge since it has one built in.
I was explaining why I use a PowerLine that cost about $100 2 year ago.
It's a double (deep) garage where my car is and happens to have a power point and a light in it - not an entertainment room Smiley
Since I pay for electricity used down there I assumed (correctly) that the wiring in my unit goes to the power point down there also.
Jump to: