Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 113. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 27, 2013, 08:01:40 AM
I am in the market for new pools for BTC, any suggestions? Also, are there any reputable pools for alt coins that aren't Coinotron? Seems like the only other one I remember closed down.

Also, I used to really like, and still do love, PPLNS when mining. But I haven't used PPLNS for BTC in months, and when looking at BTCGuild and considering their market share, it seems like a great situation. Why would you choose PPS with a higher fee when they have ~25% of the hash rate..? Or am I missing something?

I have been happy with eligius. 0% fee PPS.  The catch is you only get paid when a block is found, so some of your coins get "shelved" until that happens.  Been there over a month though with my other miners and have had no issues getting paid.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
July 26, 2013, 11:48:53 PM
I am in the market for new pools for BTC, any suggestions? Also, are there any reputable pools for alt coins that aren't Coinotron? Seems like the only other one I remember closed down.

Also, I used to really like, and still do love, PPLNS when mining. But I haven't used PPLNS for BTC in months, and when looking at BTCGuild and considering their market share, it seems like a great situation. Why would you choose PPS with a higher fee when they have ~25% of the hash rate..? Or am I missing something?
July 26, 2013, 11:11:23 PM
Also, any guesses on the bandwidth requirements for these machines, the Avalons?

Pretty negligible, if I understand your question.  My Avalon [batch 2, black case] barely effects my network's access to the Internet.  Also, the reverse seems true as well.  I am able to stream Netflix, browse the web, FTP large files, without effecting the Avalon's performance from what I can tell.  I'd bet any DSL-equivalent Internet access speeds are sufficient.  I have cable access at about 6 Mbps up and down, but would trust a 1 Mbps up/down link to be more than sufficient for mining.

_theJestre

I only ask as I was testing a unit on a different network and it hashed for a bit, but it felt like my ping died completely, severe packet loss that didn't exist prior. Strangely the Avalon lost and refused connection suddenly. Afteer disconnecting the Avalon the net problems absolved, my other network however is having no problems.

Must be something in this network. Thanks for all the responses.
July 26, 2013, 09:05:17 PM
Okay, I have 3 avalon 3-module units.  They are all overclocked and running ckolivas 0703 firmware.  Two of them consistently average 80-81Gh/s.  The other is a little slower and averages about 76.5Gh/s when left alone for a day or so.  All the settings are the same, but the slower one generates 5% HW errors and the other are almost exactly 2%.

I have tried everything I can think of.  I moved the slow learner to sit in front of the AC register and turned fans to 100% so it runs very cool now, swapped out the power supply with a 1250 watt OCZ.  I have tinkered with the clock settings between 325 and 350.  The result is the same.  I realize it's a small amount of hashing power, but the perfectionist in me wants it the same as the other two.  Here's a screenshot: 

http://i.imgur.com/u7KU53Y.jpg

In the config, I have the chip frequency set to 350 but in more options I have:  --avalon-auto --avalon-fan 100

Any ideas why this one would be throwing  more errors?
July 26, 2013, 07:52:08 PM
Also, any guesses on the bandwidth requirements for these machines, the Avalons?

Pretty negligible, if I understand your question.  My Avalon [batch 2, black case] barely effects my network's access to the Internet.  Also, the reverse seems true as well.  I am able to stream Netflix, browse the web, FTP large files, without effecting the Avalon's performance from what I can tell.  I'd bet any DSL-equivalent Internet access speeds are sufficient.  I have cable access at about 6 Mbps up and down, but would trust a 1 Mbps up/down link to be more than sufficient for mining.

_theJestre

-just to add to what Jestre said, as far as I can understand it, the latency of the connection will have a much greater effect on your performance than your bandwidth. Bandwidth requirements are pretty much negligible, whereas poor latency could cause you to submit more stales... I think...

What would you say is an acceptable latency?  When I ping two of my Avalons, I get 2-3ms consistently.  The third is running over a powerline adapter and latency varies from 3ms to 35ms.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz
July 26, 2013, 07:39:30 PM

_theJestre

-just to add to what Jestre said, as far as I can understand it, the latency of the connection will have a much greater effect on your performance than your bandwidth. Bandwidth requirements are pretty much negligible, whereas poor latency could cause you to submit more stales... I think...
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
July 26, 2013, 05:23:05 PM

_theJestre
July 26, 2013, 04:27:39 PM
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
July 26, 2013, 03:47:14 PM
Having trouble pointing an Avalon @ Alt coins... any suggestions as to why?

Also, can't seem to connect anywhere that uses Getwork. IE pit.deepbit.com:8332 is socket error, same with Coinotron unless I add stratum. however, simply changing the port and etc for Coinotron that would normally allow me to mine alt coins does not do so, rather it just forces BTC. These mine SHA-256, is there some trick I am missing to mine more than BTC?

I have installed Ubuntu and eloipool in a virtualbox.  This works well with the test network for bitcoin.  It fails with bytecoin, an almost identical coin.  There is some discussion on the bytecoin thread, search for 'Maria 2.0', about abandoning their p2pool efforts, and making eloipool work with Avalons.

The bytecoin version, bytecoin-qt does list my connection in getpeerinfo.

I was approaching it as a quick configuration problem, so that I could throw some hashes at the coin.  It has only mined about 300 blocks since May, apparently someone mined 2016 blocks quickly, then orphaned the network at high difficulty.

I am going to rebuild my virtualbox installation from scratch with very good notes and a checklist.  Pending on how much time that takes, I will package it as an "appliance."  I may or may not include the blockchain.  I have to go learn about diff files and merging them, I haven't done that in 25 years and my memory is empty.

July 26, 2013, 03:34:31 PM
Having trouble pointing an Avalon @ Alt coins... any suggestions as to why?

Also, can't seem to connect anywhere that uses Getwork. IE pit.deepbit.com:8332 is socket error, same with Coinotron unless I add stratum. however, simply changing the port and etc for Coinotron that would normally allow me to mine alt coins does not do so, rather it just forces BTC. These mine SHA-256, is there some trick I am missing to mine more than BTC?
Activity: 302
Merit: 252
July 26, 2013, 02:29:55 PM
OK, then I will try Linux. Maybe it works with minepeon out of the box ?

but I dont know where the bug really lies, this is what I get:

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
July 26, 2013, 02:17:15 PM
I think my internal router is dead, it stops always after some hours of hashing and shows nothing for fan or temp then anymore

What do I need to use it with cgminer on windows 7, which usb driver?
I started cgminer 3.3.1 and plugged the internal USB from avalon in, but It wont be recognized..
There is no avalon code built into the cgminer binary for windows for I figured someone would have to be crazy to try that with its lousy timing capabilities. Your choices are to build a windows binary for yourself with avalon support and use zadig to associate the avalon device with the WINUSB driver, and be the first person to try that combination, or use linux.
Activity: 302
Merit: 252
July 26, 2013, 02:03:40 PM
I think my internal router is dead, it stops always after some hours of hashing and shows nothing for fan or temp then anymore

What do I need to use it with cgminer on windows 7, which usb driver?
I started cgminer 3.3.1 and plugged the internal USB from avalon in, but It wont be recognized..
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
July 26, 2013, 05:37:06 AM
HW/(HW+Diff1)<2%

Thanks running about 1.5% currently at 355
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
July 26, 2013, 05:10:44 AM
HW/(HW+Diff1)<2%
Activity: 377
Merit: 253
July 26, 2013, 05:01:07 AM
How to set all fans for 100% with original newest soft?
I'm to tired for lurking into hundred of pages, please help me briefly.

Any firmware after June 21. Enter the following command in cgminer configuration->more options field:

--avalon-fan  

This will set fanspeed percentage for avalon, single value or range (default: 20-100)

See here:  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#NEXT

THX I have already found it.

What is reasonable acceptable HW avg errors rate per 5 min?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021
July 25, 2013, 11:32:45 PM
My Avalon has shipped without a power cord. I cannot find any cords that fit.

Come on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C13.2FC14_coupler

I don't know, those power cables are pretty rare  Grin
July 25, 2013, 09:14:09 PM

Any firmware after June 21. Enter the following command in cgminer configuration->more options field:

--avalon-fan  

This will set fanspeed percentage for avalon, single value or range (default: 20-100)

See here:  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#NEXT
Activity: 377
Merit: 253
July 25, 2013, 07:49:26 PM
July 25, 2013, 02:49:08 PM
Temps are 43-48 and occasionally 50. I have no idea why one is a little slower.  Anyone?
for me the same
bottom is slower because it gets the heat of top, but I have it stacked

-----------------
|                   |
-----------------
-----------------
|                   |
-----------------

I tried them stacked and side by side with the same result :/

Now I just put them on ventilated shelving. we'll see.
Jump to: