Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 115. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 446
Merit: 250
July 22, 2013, 02:46:59 AM
Same happened for me on 2 of my units. They will probably start to work after the weekend. Took almost 5 days for one of mine to show.

Three days ago received a track number, but it still is not tracking, where to write to clarify whether the correct number sent? thank you
Activity: 414
Merit: 252
July 22, 2013, 01:34:38 AM
Three days ago received a track number, but it still is not tracking, where to write to clarify whether the correct number sent? thank you
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
July 21, 2013, 11:22:48 PM
Is it possible to use more than one power supply for one unit?  If I were to get extra modules could I set up another power supply and power those modules that way and just connect the data cables to the main unit?  I had to replace one of the power supplies in my silver unit because it did not handle the overclocking.  I figured I could use that power supply just to power the new modules and turn everything on and off via the power strip.

No need for this. On the controller there is room for one extra module only. If your PSU is at least GOLD standard 1000-1050w you are ready to run it overclocked with 4 modules.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 21, 2013, 12:12:50 PM
I am looking for a 1000W+ PSU for my 4 module units which have not shipped yet.  In the wiki where they recommend different PSUs, it says the Enermax's are "a little long".  Does this mean they won't fit and I will have to keep the PSU outside, and drill holes to run the cables through? Or will it just be a tight fit possibly reducing air flow?  

Has anyone found a good 1000W or greater PSU that fits and works?

this will work and is what i use with zero problems. i'm only right now running 3 modules but have calculated that i should be able to run 4 w/o any problems.  it is too large to fit in case but i just run the cables out the front opening w/o needing to drill any new holes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151105

i think you're better off externalizing the psu anyway for lower temps.

You're saying the Enermax will work and is what you use, or the Seasonic, which is the unit you linked to?  Thanks again.

i'm using Seasonic.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 21, 2013, 12:10:20 PM
I am looking for a 1000W+ PSU for my 4 module units which have not shipped yet.  In the wiki where they recommend different PSUs, it says the Enermax's are "a little long".  Does this mean they won't fit and I will have to keep the PSU outside, and drill holes to run the cables through? Or will it just be a tight fit possibly reducing air flow?  

this will work and is what i use with zero problems. i'm only right now running 3 modules but have calculated that i should be able to run 4 w/o any problems.  it is too large to fit in case but i just run the cables out the front opening w/o needing to drill any new holes.

You're saying the Enermax will work and is what you use, or the Seasonic, which is the unit you linked to?  Thanks again.
legendary
Activity: 1764
July 21, 2013, 11:57:18 AM

Activity: 238
July 21, 2013, 11:43:46 AM
I am looking for a 1000W+ PSU for my 4 module units which have not shipped yet.  In the wiki where they recommend different PSUs, it says the Enermax's are "a little long".  Does this mean they won't fit and I will have to keep the PSU outside, and drill holes to run the cables through? Or will it just be a tight fit possibly reducing air flow? 

legendary
Activity: 1246
July 19, 2013, 06:02:32 PM

The negative spike on 16 Jul is when I moved it from a room that heats to about 85°F in the afternoon and operating with the fan blowing out a window,
to the basement where it is about 72°F and the fan is blowing into the furnace firebox and thence out the flue to the outside.

The frequency is auto, and the unit seems to like 343.  It will occasionally rise to 347, and in the broad dip on 19 Jul I tried to set the temp at 45°C and the frequency was down about 290 or 300 when I reset the parameters.

At this time, fan 2 & 3 are at 3120, the temp has been 49°C all day, not 50 as set.  The intake air from the basement is about 70% RH, still 72°F.

legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
July 19, 2013, 05:24:59 PM
Last night I set --avalon-temp 45 on my unit and let it mine for a few hours.  The hash rate slowed down, so I set it back to 50.

My idea was, a lower temperature setting would make the fans run faster, and the extra cooling would let the unit hash faster.

Perhaps starting at 48 would have worked better.

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/18bLcVkviErQi75zB8X39jZXxHNpSZggdC

It would have had trouble keeping it under 45 so it would have throttled the speed to try to do so... If you want the fans to constantly run higher, just set the fanspeed instead.
legendary
Activity: 1246
July 19, 2013, 04:28:59 PM
Last night I set --avalon-temp 45 on my unit and let it mine for a few hours.  The hash rate slowed down, so I set it back to 50.

My idea was, a lower temperature setting would make the fans run faster, and the extra cooling would let the unit hash faster.

Perhaps starting at 48 would have worked better.

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/18bLcVkviErQi75zB8X39jZXxHNpSZggdC

Activity: 75
Merit: 10
July 19, 2013, 03:38:38 PM
i'm sure people will eventually need it when a fan or two goes out
My first goal was to install more powerful 252CFN fans as ambient temperatures now over +30c.
Also overclocked it to 360Mhz, hw errors near 1.6% 1.7%. Temperatures now like 32 / 48 with new fans even not running at full! To be exact, the model is TFC1212DE-SP07 and it's used in HP DL580 servers.

So I did a little experiment and partly covered the intake of fan3.
Result ? Better cooling and higher Mhz!
I also just covered fan hole and unplugged it to prevent air go back.

Are there other people here who tried some of those inverted pwm fans? I've installed 3 TFC1212DE, flashed the modified 20130714 firmware with inverted pwm support  and set the --avalon-invert-pwm option. But for some reason the fans do not seem to speed up when the temp is getting up. The fan RPM stays stable at around 2580 RPM, and my temp2 and temp3 sensors are 60C.

Any ideas why my fans don't run any harder when the temp is getting up? According to specs fans are 5500 rpm. When I only connect +12V and ground fans spins at 4800RPM, so they can spin harder dan this 2580 rpm.

Also option  --avalon-fan 100 does not seem to work.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
July 19, 2013, 10:59:43 AM
Avalons have an inefficiency with changing work, so that even if you were to receive the block change notification immediately (and there is in reality always going to be a delay), if the avalons were just loaded with new work, you'd have to wait about 2 seconds before you could load new work on them. At max overclock of 82GHash and a target diff of 64, you'll be generating less than 18 shares per minute. That's one every 3.3 seconds. So there are maybe 5 seconds where you may not get a share in on average over a block change. Now bear in mind share return is a stochastic process which means they won't come in perfectly every 3.3 seconds. Throw in some network delay from slush propagating the block change and it's easily possible for you to miss submitting a share during a 9 second block.

I can't comment on how quickly slush propagates the block change, but if there's a delay there that could be improved upon, and there's that huge design crapulence in the Avalon that you are also suffering from. It is much more of a hindrance on p2pool which had 10 second blocks but now has 30 second blocks. There's still a penalty (of about 1/30) and it's not p2pool's fault, but the Avalon's FPGA design.
Activity: 171
July 19, 2013, 10:31:34 AM
Have same Problem with block in 9 seconds (247343).  The stats say I got 0 shares. That´s not correctly. I´m balance mining at 2 different pools. My Setting at slush´s pool is 32@42GH/s.
Activity: 182
July 19, 2013, 08:28:04 AM
I am in Slush's pool and I noticed they found a block in 9 seconds (247343).  The stats say I got 0 shares.  What is the issue?  Why would the Avalons not be able to submit valid shares while others in the pool were able to do so? 

Perhaps share difficulty. If you are submitting every 15 seconds you might have missed the window.
legendary
Activity: 1112
July 18, 2013, 06:43:09 PM
Same problem with my OCZ ZX 850w  Undecided

No idea what is causing it.
My OCZ ZX 1250 worked fine just direct out of the box (well, the old GPU miner I salvaged it from)

No idea what could be your problem though

Do you have an alternative power supply to try?
Activity: 682
Merit: 500
July 18, 2013, 02:21:22 PM
So I attempted to upgrade the power supply on my 3-board Avalon...

It had a 750w Corsair in it already so I don't think it actually needed to be upgraded unless I decided to add a 4th board. I was getting a lot of invalid shares, though, so I figured a bigger power supply might help.

I bought a 850w OCZ ZW power supply and installed it and it didn't work! I'm not sure what was wrong. I could connect to the Avalon through the web interface, log in, and edit the configuration but the fans never spun up and it never started hashing.

I thought maybe I had broken it but I put the old power supply back in and it was fine.

I thought maybe I was missing a cable or something but I guess I just had a defective supply?

I plugged in:

The very wide main connector
The 8 pin connector that said "CPU" on it
The two red cables (GPU) that plug into the side of the supply.

The supply also had an additional connector, 8-pin but a different layout from the CPU power, I believe that looks like it would fit into another connector across from the CPU connector. It wasn't plugged in with the old power supply, so i didn't plug it in for the new one. Not sure what its for. Power supplies were always a mystery to me.

I wish there was a schematic or something that explained it. I haven't been able to find one for the Avalon miner.

PS Damn the Chinese engineer who designed the screws on that case!

Same problem with my OCZ ZX 850w  Undecided

No idea what is causing it.
legendary
Activity: 1610
July 18, 2013, 04:56:47 AM
Anyone know what this is

[   11.730000] usb 1-1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[   15.030000] device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
[   15.380000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)

[   15.380000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
[   15.390000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
[   17.390000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

[   24.990000] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[   25.010000] ftdi_sio 1-1.1:1.0: device disconnected

Now wont connect up?
Yes it is called hotplug
Take it easy just to avoid this message comment ftdi and usb serial in /etc/modules
legendary
Activity: 1610
July 18, 2013, 04:55:53 AM
anyone succeded of connecting another device in the USB hub of the Avalon (like a jalapeno or usb erupter)
and start hashing with it via Avalon's cgminer? Smiley
Yes you will succeed but you need to recompile the image with new cgmminer with support to both your avalon and your second device
Activity: 607
Merit: 500
July 18, 2013, 02:45:54 AM
anyone succeded of connecting another device in the USB hub of the Avalon (like a jalapeno or usb erupter)
and start hashing with it via Avalon's cgminer? Smiley
Jump to: