Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 114. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
July 25, 2013, 02:45:37 PM
Temps are 43-48 and occasionally 50. I have no idea why one is a little slower.  Anyone?
for me the same
bottom is slower because it gets the heat of top, but I have it stacked

-----------------
|                   |
-----------------
-----------------
|                   |
-----------------
Activity: 486
Merit: 500
July 25, 2013, 02:11:32 PM
Just read the wiki about the plastic sheet that covers the case, ive been mining with them on, and my temps are below 46, anyone know if it will lower my temps even more?
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 25, 2013, 01:26:38 PM
I have 3 Avalons and am using ckolivas' 0703 firmware on all.  Two of them average 79-81 GH/s over 3 hours reliably.  The other one is averaging 76.7 or so.  That last 3.5GH/s that the slower one is missing out on is annoying me.  Is this normal variance across avalons when overclocked?  Or should they be closer in hashing speeds.  

I noted that the slower one has a differrent power supply than the other two.  It has chinese characters on it and says 850, whereas the others have GX850 printed on them.  I have a spare Corsair 750W I am thinking of trying on the slower one.  Anyone have any suggestions before I do?  

On all three, I have been using the command:  --avalon-auto --avalon-freq 300-375 --avalon-options 115200:24:10:36:355

and they seem to clock around 343-347 when I check them.  Temps are 43-48 and occasionally 50. I have no idea why one is a little slower.  Anyone?

Pics of the two different setups: 

http://imgur.com/VHIU8gv
http://imgur.com/mhum98z (slower one)
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
July 25, 2013, 01:04:20 PM
Are there live hashrate graphs in Avalon web interface ?
I think I saw screenshot somewhere but I cant find it anywhere under web interface.

I am aware of a CPU load graph under status --> realtime graphs.
If you are on the eligius pool, you do get realtime hashrate and earnings graphs on his site.
E.g., http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/146J6Eqsu9ZDFq8VqzXPehYQdYHQZUUuuB

There is a WiFi real time graph, and it gives signal, noise, and SNR.  On one machine it works, on the other it is not reporting anything.  I thought I had set them up the very same way.  Does anyone know a toggle for this graph?

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
July 25, 2013, 12:25:32 PM
I think I saw screenshot somewhere but I cant find it anywhere under web interface.

I am aware of a CPU load graph under status --> realtime graphs.
If you are on the eligius pool, you do get realtime hashrate and earnings graphs on his site.
E.g., http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/146J6Eqsu9ZDFq8VqzXPehYQdYHQZUUuuB

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
July 25, 2013, 12:15:27 PM
Hi All

A few thoughts after a couple of weeks mining with a batch #2 Avalon.

I was getting these Error -71 resets 2 or 3 times a day so have now disabled the WiFi and running network only with it reconfigured to my 192.168.0.... group. I will report if this cures it.

I am currently running firmware openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory_20130519b. I have the clock at 365, hashing at about 86500MH/s with temps about 40C in ambient 20C room.

Questions:

1. Is this the most up to date / stable firmware version? There is no fan speed control for instance - they are running 100%

2. I am unclear as to which figures to use to give me a hardware failure rate - is it HW verses Diff1Shares % ? - what is an 'acceptable' % ? I have no feel if 365 is causing problems or not.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Oh - also for newbies on this - doing a power cycle reboot - don't just switch off and back on - you MUST leave it 20 secs or so before powering up or it retains some memory of the last state.
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
July 25, 2013, 11:38:38 AM
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
July 25, 2013, 07:35:19 AM
My Avalon has shipped without a power cord. I cannot find any cords that fit.

Come on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C13.2FC14_coupler
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
July 25, 2013, 07:13:19 AM
My Avalon has shipped without a power cord. I cannot find any cords that fit.
Activity: 871
Merit: 1000
July 25, 2013, 05:31:30 AM
Hi

Has anyone tried the new firmware "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory-20130723.bin   23-Jul-2013 07:06   3.8M"  from xiangfu?

What is the different to the firmware of ckolivas

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
July 23, 2013, 08:14:25 PM
I need help configuring my Batch 2 Avalon ASIC. I went to 50BTC.com, and it tells me the host, port and login to use. But I can't find where in Cgminer to enter those. I know I am a total newbie, but could someone please point me in the right direction?

In the cgminer configuration tab!

Edit:

See my pic below

http://s22.postimg.org/yot8e17p9/Pool.jpg

You only need one pool set up (as far as I know). The other 2 are just there as fail safes, in case your primary pool goes down for whatever reason Wink
Seriously, don't make silly suggestions like that, someone may actually do what you say.

If you don't have a backup pool and your connection to your pool isn't working, you are then mining nothing until someone does something about it.

Backup pools are one of the most important aspects of bitcoin mining.
Pools fail, get ddos'd, have weird problems ... and if you only have that one pool when that happens, you are no longer mining.
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
July 23, 2013, 12:46:14 PM
The fan RPM stays stable at around 2580 RPM, and my temp2 and temp3 sensors are 60C.
isn't this much to high?
what is the highest
temp1   
temp2   
temp3
(is the highest for me)

that should be?
TIA
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
July 23, 2013, 10:50:45 AM

the problem is not the controller
cg miner restarted again and 0 hash after 3h and after 19 h

is there a way to log and see what is the problem (maybe cgminer)

You'll have to wait until ckolivas is back from holidays...

I ran into the same problem with my 4 module test system (still waiting for the Batch #3 unit to ship), it crapped out all the time (while it ran super solid with only 3 modules).

I solved it by each time lowering the max chip frequency after doing a hard reset each time, until I found the sweet spot and now it seems to run fine with:

--avalon-auto --avalon-freq 300-335 --avalon-fan 90-100

Anything above 335 MHz seemed to trigger the problem

It ran fine at 350 MHz with only 3 modules
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
July 23, 2013, 09:45:54 AM
just installed the controller board v 1.5 from stromborn (10x for it)
if the unit will not restart/0 hash problem , the issue we have is controller related .
just in case there is also a router board , i`ll change it also if 0 hash happens
the problem is not the controller
cg miner restarted again and 0 hash after 3h and after 19 h

is there a way to log and see what is the problem (maybe cgminer)
Activity: 546
July 23, 2013, 01:42:44 AM
So I attempted to upgrade the power supply on my 3-board Avalon...

It had a 750w Corsair in it already so I don't think it actually needed to be upgraded unless I decided to add a 4th board. I was getting a lot of invalid shares, though, so I figured a bigger power supply might help.

I bought a 850w OCZ ZW power supply and installed it and it didn't work! I'm not sure what was wrong. I could connect to the Avalon through the web interface, log in, and edit the configuration but the fans never spun up and it never started hashing.

I thought maybe I had broken it but I put the old power supply back in and it was fine.

I thought maybe I was missing a cable or something but I guess I just had a defective supply?

I plugged in:

The very wide main connector
The 8 pin connector that said "CPU" on it
The two red cables (GPU) that plug into the side of the supply.

The supply also had an additional connector, 8-pin but a different layout from the CPU power, I believe that looks like it would fit into another connector across from the CPU connector. It wasn't plugged in with the old power supply, so i didn't plug it in for the new one. Not sure what its for. Power supplies were always a mystery to me.

I wish there was a schematic or something that explained it. I haven't been able to find one for the Avalon miner.

PS Damn the Chinese engineer who designed the screws on that case!

Same problem with my OCZ ZX 850w  Undecided

No idea what is causing it.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm going to return the power supply to the store as it's not like I need anything bigger than a 750 to overclock with just 3 boards.
Activity: 277
Merit: 254
July 23, 2013, 01:26:23 AM
Thank you very much!

I have been up and running, but I find that it is quite unstable. My workers die frequently.

Specify frequently. My cgminer restarts 2-3 times a day on avg. I do not find this good but good enough not to try to fix it (at least not with difficulty is low Grin). If you one these numbers of restarts your avg. hashing power should be still very good. Of course that if you are talking about 10-15 minutes restarts that is something different and I would suggest you to go through this thread and that official avalon support thread to find out what to do. Or just ask again  Smiley
Activity: 5
July 22, 2013, 07:18:49 PM
Thank you very much!

I have been up and running, but I find that it is quite unstable. My workers die frequently.
Activity: 682
July 22, 2013, 08:04:45 AM
I need help configuring my Batch 2 Avalon ASIC. I went to 50BTC.com, and it tells me the host, port and login to use. But I can't find where in Cgminer to enter those. I know I am a total newbie, but could someone please point me in the right direction?

In the cgminer configuration tab!

Edit:

See my pic below

You only need one pool set up (as far as I know). The other 2 are just there as fail safes, in case your primary pool goes down for whatever reason Wink
Activity: 5
July 22, 2013, 07:52:23 AM
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
July 22, 2013, 05:39:19 AM
just installed the controller board v 1.5 from stromborn (10x for it)
if the unit will not restart/0 hash problem , the issue we have is controller related .
just in case there is also a router board , i`ll change it also if 0 hash happens
Jump to: