Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 187. (Read 438378 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
April 06, 2013, 11:10:58 AM

today i just got a new Asus Tomato router and noticed that my wireless signal quality to my gpu miners and server was down around 36-49.  any ideas how to raise that up?  boosting the transmission power didn't do anything.

The antenna position may affect signal quality, currently my best antena position is vertical to exhaust panel (e.g. pointing outwards)
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
April 06, 2013, 10:44:38 AM
And whats your bandwidth usage? Smiley

It's not a lot. We're talking 100+ MB for several days worth of mining. I recently restarted my miner otherwise I would've given you some hard stats.

OK, thank you for the feedback.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
April 06, 2013, 09:00:18 AM

It's not a lot. We're talking 100+ MB for several days worth of mining. I recently restarted my miner otherwise I would've given you some hard stats.
legendary
April 06, 2013, 06:17:26 AM
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
April 06, 2013, 05:34:59 AM
Anyone is using it under a 3g connection? Thanks.
Yes, no problems so far.
BTW: (how) is it possible to add more then 3 pools in avalon?
(and enable/disable it per clicking)

Miner.php (in the official cgminer) will allow you to manage the pools if things are configured correctly, maybe try that?
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
April 06, 2013, 04:17:05 AM
Anyone is using it under a 3g connection? Thanks.
Yes, no problems so far.
BTW: (how) is it possible to add more then 3 pools in avalon?
(and enable/disable it per clicking)
legendary
April 06, 2013, 01:48:34 AM
What's the bandwith usage of an Avalon with stratum? Anyone is using it under a 3g connection? Thanks.
legendary
April 05, 2013, 09:19:45 PM
I would recommend not using getwork with this miner, stratum is IMHO the only way to go. It takes quite a lot to feed this monster and pools are not up to the task. There is the option of mining solo with it via your own locally hosted pool daemon, but you still need a beefy server to keep it well fed with getwork requests. I'm sure all the more technical users will explain all the nuances if you'd care to find out.

so you really think direct ethernet wiring of the Avalons to router will make a difference compared to wireless?  i think i've figured out a way to make that happen...

Yes I do. There are far too many variables that come into play which can result in unreliability when it comes to wireless connectivity. So to sum up my opinions:

1) Mine with a stratum capable pool which has servers as close as possible to you (low latency)
2) Connect the miners via a wired connection to your home network
3) Ensure that you do not saturate the upstream of your internet connection. Even though the startum protocol is by FAR less bandwidth intense it is still a good idea to give it some room to breathe.
4) If you really want to get crazy setup QoS (quality of service) rules on your router to give higher priority to traffic coming and going on the typical bitcoin/stratum ports (like some gamers do with their games).

On a sidenote I would also recommend putting your router, dsl/cable modem, and ethernet switch (if you have one) on a UPS (battery backup). This should avoid damage from brownouts and other typical power fluctuations. Believe it or not some routers tend to lose their flash rom settings due to spikes in voltage and other electrical phenomenon. I doubt you'd want to come home and realize that your spiffy new money printing machine (aka Avalon) has been idle for 12 hours because your router crapped its pants and lost its mind.

Uptime is the name of the game here.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
April 05, 2013, 11:09:59 AM
I would recommend not using getwork with this miner, stratum is IMHO the only way to go. It takes quite a lot to feed this monster and pools are not up to the task. There is the option of mining solo with it via your own locally hosted pool daemon, but you still need a beefy server to keep it well fed with getwork requests. I'm sure all the more technical users will explain all the nuances if you'd care to find out.

so you really think direct ethernet wiring of the Avalons to router will make a difference compared to wireless?  i think i've figured out a way to make that happen...
legendary
April 05, 2013, 08:51:45 AM

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
April 05, 2013, 08:47:45 AM
try Slush mining.bitcoin.cz  or ozco.in
legendary
April 05, 2013, 08:38:09 AM
Maybe you need to try pools with Stratum mining protocol supported.
the pools I choose are all with Stratum mining protocol supported
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
April 05, 2013, 08:20:47 AM

much getworks and not much accepted  Huh
I was able to log in and reboot without any problem...

Maybe you need to try pools with Stratum mining protocol supported.
legendary
April 05, 2013, 07:28:12 AM
1) Get a better router. A router that supports the 802.11n wireless standard is the idea. Also if the router has multiple antennas as is typical with the MIMO capable routers then that's even better.
in the meantime I don't think its a router problem
today when I came to Avalon location I have seen the blue led (which means all ok)
but the hashrate was ~760 MH

much getworks and not much accepted  Huh
I was able to log in and reboot without any problem...
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
April 05, 2013, 12:33:23 AM
1) Get a better router. A router that supports the 802.11n wireless standard is the idea. Also if the router has multiple antennas as is typical with the MIMO capable routers then that's even better.
thx
I have the TP-Link TL-MR3420 with latest firmware from TP-Link and I will try in next time openwrt to see if it is better...
I do not know if there is any option that TL-MR3420 is repeatenly (like cron job) checking for a connected device or how often this will be...
the router supports the 802.11n wireless standard and has 2 antennas.

I very much doubt it will have cron job support, but hopefully with it being a newer spec router it might be more reliable. Look into doing a wireless survey to see what channels are currently the most used (and therefore congested) in your area and change the router and your wireless client(s) to use the least occupied/congested channel. This will ensure greater signal stability.

Let us know how the new router goes.

Good luck!

today i just got a new Asus Tomato router and noticed that my wireless signal quality to my gpu miners and server was down around 36-49.  any ideas how to raise that up?  boosting the transmission power didn't do anything.
legendary
April 04, 2013, 11:21:31 PM
thx
I have the TP-Link TL-MR3420 with latest firmware from TP-Link and I will try in next time openwrt to see if it is better...
I do not know if there is any option that TL-MR3420 is repeatenly (like cron job) checking for a connected device or how often this will be...

I very much doubt it will have cron job support, but hopefully with it being a newer spec router it might be more reliable. Look into doing a wireless survey to see what channels are currently the most used (and therefore congested) in your area and change the router and your wireless client(s) to use the least occupied/congested channel. This will ensure greater signal stability.

Let us know how the new router goes.

Good luck!
legendary
April 04, 2013, 10:28:30 AM
thx
legendary
April 03, 2013, 07:09:46 PM
If you can I'd recommend connecting your Avalon miner to your home network via an Ethernet cable as it's a far more reliable connection.
I have connected wirelessly
maybe this is the reason for the constantly intermittents?

how do I find where the issue is?

To be honest, troubleshooting wireless reliability and intermittent connectivity issues is quite a bitch. Usually the first thing you'd want to look at is the quality of your router.  Cheap routers usually have weak radios and poor performing antennas. The other culprit is of course physical obstacles. Does your house have plaster walls? If so this will affect the strength of the wireless signal. Where you place your router and also where you locate the wireless clients (wireless devices) also matters.

I am in a 100 year old house with plaster walls, and a cistern.  Wireless won't propagate through the wall, even if the two antennas are only a foot apart.

Ouch. I feel your pain. I too am in a house with a similar age (a tad bit older actually) but I was lucky that a lot of the walls were renovated and they're now drywall based which is way way better. I guess one solution would be to run ethernet along the baseboard. It's fairly stealthy if done right.

To cheer you up, be thankful you're not living in a Faraday cage! Smiley

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
April 03, 2013, 11:14:03 AM
I checked out the avalon page out of curiosity and found that they now charge a good chunk of money. 72.63BTC, that would be $5374,62 per 63GH/s.
Do you think it makes sense to order an asic from the third batch for that price? I mean its open when one will have a machine at home running and you dont know whats the competition at that time. Asicminer Shares are at a high price too now, so it will take time to break even when buying new shares. So what do you think how many days or weeks will one have to mine with an avalon from the third batch until break even? And when do you think will those machines be at home?

Nobody knows. There's way too many factors at play. If you feel it is too risky then join a group buy to minimize the risk. I personally think batch #3 will arrive before BFL ships. And if that ends up being the case batch #3 users should still make good ROI.

Thanks for suggestion. I now bought one batch 3 85GH and put 4BTC into the groupbuy. Im empty on bitcoins now... until wednesday when asicminer pays... Smiley

I see why you dont trust BFL. On March 15th they wrote they will test tomorrow and ship out then. Even though i think they put too much effort in it to be scammer (i heard they pay back money if someone doesnt want to wait anymore) it looks they cant make it. I really wonder how far they are in reality. I hope my big investment plays out. When i get the machine the difficulty and the competition will be high. And i wonder if i should search a way to get cheap power. I mean this machine would cost me $200 a month for power. Depending on the future this will be a factor.

Many people are speculating on shipments, network difficulty etc, and although I didn't initially ever think I'd be in the mining game, I too am awaiting a Batch 3 shipment (85Gh/s + PSU). Since you can't order them anymore (sold out), I put up 50% of mine for auction here in case anyone wants to throw some change at it and limit their exposure. I started the bidding at 0.5 BTC per 1% of profit and it's already past 1 BTC in just a few hours, so I think the evidence is there that people believe having an only-ASIC market means not being a part of an ASIC buy will leave you in the cold. Well, not actual cold; those GPUs are very nice for heating a room!
legendary
Activity: 1246
April 03, 2013, 11:08:28 AM
If you can I'd recommend connecting your Avalon miner to your home network via an Ethernet cable as it's a far more reliable connection.
I have connected wirelessly
maybe this is the reason for the constantly intermittents?

how do I find where the issue is?

To be honest, troubleshooting wireless reliability and intermittent connectivity issues is quite a bitch. Usually the first thing you'd want to look at is the quality of your router.  Cheap routers usually have weak radios and poor performing antennas. The other culprit is of course physical obstacles. Does your house have plaster walls? If so this will affect the strength of the wireless signal. Where you place your router and also where you locate the wireless clients (wireless devices) also matters.

I am in a 100 year old house with plaster walls, and a cistern.  Wireless won't propagate through the wall, even if the two antennas are only a foot apart.
Jump to: