Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 185. (Read 438378 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
April 10, 2013, 11:00:00 PM
well, there's definitely a difference of opinion around here in regards to UPS.

both galambo and Death & Taxes have gone on record against UPS with these things.  you'd have to hunt about the details though in other threads.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
April 10, 2013, 10:56:25 PM
Definitely have to have a UPS connected to protect the unit from surges and spikes. DO NOT trust a power strip. They will not protect your Avalon. A UPS will absorb surges and compensate to spikes...so your Avalon will constantly get clean unadulterated power.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1000G-JP&total_watts=600

Careful there with UPSs that do not give sine wave output. APFC power supplies will trip their power protection circuitry and not work when fed with approximate sine wave (sawtooth) output.

I recommend the SmartUPS series or something that puts out pure sine wave.

Also in regards to the avalon unit coming back online from a power outage, sometimes that does not happen. Rarely what could happen is the unit will be left in a zombie like state because the control board did not initialize properly. For me this happened once when there was a brownout.

Oh, and for the record UPSs do NOT have stronger surge absorption capabilities than a good surge protector (varies of course on the quality of your surge protector). Hook the UPS up to a strong surge suppressor. Do NOT hook up a surge protector to a UPS.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
April 10, 2013, 10:51:00 PM
Definitely have to have a UPS connected to protect the unit from surges and spikes. DO NOT trust a power strip. They will not protect your Avalon. A UPS will absorb surges and compensate to spikes...so your Avalon will constantly get clean unadulterated power.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1000G-JP&total_watts=600

legendary
April 10, 2013, 10:40:57 PM
i have a basic question.  when you plug the avalon in does it automatically boot up or is there a separate on/off power switch?

reason i ask is b/c i was wondering if it makes sense to buy one of these for power outages or brownouts:
http://dataprobe.com/iboot-g2.php

It uses an atx power supply from a computer. It has an on off switch. You flip it on, it turns on.

so if you had a power outage and the electricity came back on, sounds like the Avalon would just start back up on its own thus obviating the need for this unit?

Activity: 188
Merit: 100
April 10, 2013, 10:39:09 PM
I'm having a problem with my Avalon. It was mining without a restart for 16 hours and then it stopped. In the API log I get: Socket connect failed: Connection refused 4 times. I haven't changed anything and even after a few restarts it won't mine. I tried the latest firmware also. Any ideas?

Edit: I checked and reseated some of the cables and it's still the same.

If you have yellow led, it means cgminer isn't running or there's a Fpga controller problem.

Check the USB hub, make sure it is all plugged in well. Try another port on the USB hub.

Thanks Aseras and others. It seems fixed for now. Hopefully for good.

I was getting strange temp 3 readings yesterday. I bent the pins slightly on the p4 connector for the temp3 sensor because it felt loose in the socket even though it was plugged in fully. Now it's mining and i'm getting accurate temperature and fan speeds. I know that xempew had a similar problem, so that tipped me off. Maybe this will help someone else.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
April 10, 2013, 10:23:14 PM
I'm having a problem with my Avalon. It was mining without a restart for 16 hours and then it stopped. In the API log I get: Socket connect failed: Connection refused 4 times. I haven't changed anything and even after a few restarts it won't mine. I tried the latest firmware also. Any ideas?

If you have yellow led, it means cgminer isn't running or there's a Fpga controller problem.

Check the USB hub, make sure it is all plugged in well. Try another port on the USB hub.
April 10, 2013, 10:22:12 PM
i have a basic question.  when you plug the avalon in does it automatically boot up or is there a separate on/off power switch?

reason i ask is b/c i was wondering if it makes sense to buy one of these for power outages or brownouts:

It uses an atx power supply from a computer. It has an on off switch. You flip it on, it turns on.
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
April 10, 2013, 07:40:48 PM

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
April 10, 2013, 04:26:21 PM
Not sure about your question (I don't see any external button). However, if you have more than 1, what you are looking for is a managed pdu. Maybe a scriptable one so that you don't have to interface with it externally Wink
legendary
April 10, 2013, 04:17:15 PM

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
April 10, 2013, 02:56:14 PM
Hi,

i have a question - what it would take to run a single module? Is it doable? Or you need a whole machine? Thanks!

You'd need a board that can run OpenWRT and CGminer from the git repositories that also has an IDE connection and power for the module.  You also have to purchase a module which at the moment is unavailable.

Can I get two module upgrades please? Cheesy

it is NOT IDE.  using an IDE cable will cook a board. they are cross connected.

So you can't do it without Control Unit?

Correctomundo. You could theoretically build your own. The control board is a FPGA board essentially with I/O options (unlike dedicated fpga miners).

Thanks. It would probably take someone from BitSyncom to get a definite answer.
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
April 10, 2013, 02:50:58 PM
Hi,

i have a question - what it would take to run a single module? Is it doable? Or you need a whole machine? Thanks!

You'd need a board that can run OpenWRT and CGminer from the git repositories that also has an IDE connection and power for the module.  You also have to purchase a module which at the moment is unavailable.

it is NOT IDE.  using an IDE cable will cook a board. they are cross connected.

Really? Is it cross connected on the board or the cable?  Are they pair swapped, like 2-1, 4-3, 6-5.....?  The cables looked normal to me.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
April 10, 2013, 11:59:56 AM
Hi,

You'd need a board that can run OpenWRT and CGminer from the git repositories that also has an IDE connection and power for the module.  You also have to purchase a module which at the moment is unavailable.

Correctomundo. You could theoretically build your own. The control board is a FPGA board essentially with I/O options (unlike dedicated fpga miners).
April 10, 2013, 11:56:51 AM
Hi,

April 10, 2013, 11:28:53 AM
Hi,

April 10, 2013, 10:19:15 AM
Hi,

Grin
Thank you for the answer. I'm just looking out for options.
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
April 10, 2013, 10:18:52 AM
new firmware build posted. fixes the delay and HW errors and rejects.

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/avalon/next-testing/
I have done it but there is no more fw-version available:
Code:
cat /etc/avalon_version
cat: can't open '/etc/avalon_version': No such file or directory
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
April 10, 2013, 10:15:12 AM
Hi,

April 10, 2013, 10:01:10 AM
Hi,

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
April 10, 2013, 09:48:52 AM

new firmware build posted. fixes the delay and HW errors and rejects.

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/avalon/next-testing/

Will it be worth to install the test-firmware? Do those HW-errors have a big negative effect?
I'm afraid of getting a worse bug by unstable firmware.
Jump to: