Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 186. (Read 438378 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
April 10, 2013, 09:41:10 AM
Hi there

I have a HW error rate of about 5% (relativ to accepted) which seems to be rather high.

What can there be done against that apart from setting --avalon-options xxxxxx:xx:xx:42:xxx instead of xxxxxx:xx:xx:45:xx because this seemed to have no effect.

I haven't changed any other parameters, the batch 1 miner runs like it came out of the box.

Thanks
S

new firmware build posted. fixes the delay and HW errors and rejects.

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/avalon/next-testing/
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
April 10, 2013, 09:21:18 AM
Hi there

I have a HW error rate of about 5% (relativ to accepted) which seems to be rather high.

What can there be done against that apart from setting --avalon-options xxxxxx:xx:xx:42:xxx instead of xxxxxx:xx:xx:45:xx because this seemed to have no effect.

I haven't changed any other parameters, the batch 1 miner runs like it came out of the box.

Thanks
S
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
April 10, 2013, 07:47:14 AM
something strange happened last night:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
as you can see it was a peak at ~90 GH
Avalon is connected to more then one pool; it seems that all pools at this time are not responding and only ozco has got all the shares but only for a moment and too much...
if I came to the place of avalon someone had plugged off it from the socket-outlet (maybe because of horrible noisiness and fear)

You might see that happen if you have difficulty set quite high. A couple of lucky shares in a row and you have a massive estimate for the hashrate. Increasing your work difficulty increases your variance.
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
April 10, 2013, 06:44:07 AM
something strange happened last night:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
as you can see it was a peak at ~90 GH
Avalon is connected to more then one pool; it seems that all pools at this time are not responding and only ozco has got all the shares but only for a moment and too much...
if I came to the place of avalon someone had plugged off it from the socket-outlet (maybe because of horrible noisiness and fear)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100
April 08, 2013, 08:11:25 PM
it is good to know that there is a way to reset it without having to request a spare part from China.

It will not always work. For worst case you have to unmount flash chip from wr703n and re-program it with falsh programmer.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
April 08, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
Hi,

I have my units hashing nicely, but I'd like to test/move them on p2pool, question: is it "safe" to do a firmware update from wifi? I have them connected via wifi, right now, I could connect a laptop to the lan port, if it is safer.

I'd like to ask a second question: does the TP WR703N have a reset button? What happens if I make some mistake through ssh or web interface? Do I end up with an aluminum brick? :O

Thanks

spiccioli

Looking toward the LAN connection and mini-usb, the reset button is on the right hand side of the mini-usb.
Google for fail-safe OpenWRT, and it describes using the reset button in case you have made a moderate mistake, such as forgetting your password.
There is also a serial interface, two pads named RX and TX on the board more or less between the LAN and mini-usb.  These can de-brick a much more severe error, but are for people comfortable with soldering irons, probes, and TFTP.  Buy pizza for your local Linux user group.  Also, buy a 703n at retail and test everything with it first.

Thanks ProfMac and ewibit,

I'm not at ease with soldering... but it is good to know that there is a way to reset it without having to request a spare part from China.

Going googling... Smiley

spiccioli
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
April 08, 2013, 04:56:33 PM
Avalon is a nice rig.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
April 08, 2013, 04:04:32 PM
Hi,

I have my units hashing nicely, but I'd like to test/move them on p2pool, question: is it "safe" to do a firmware update from wifi? I have them connected via wifi, right now, I could connect a laptop to the lan port, if it is safer.

I'd like to ask a second question: does the TP WR703N have a reset button? What happens if I make some mistake through ssh or web interface? Do I end up with an aluminum brick? :O

Thanks

spiccioli

Looking toward the LAN connection and mini-usb, the reset button is on the right hand side of the mini-usb.
Google for fail-safe OpenWRT, and it describes using the reset button in case you have made a moderate mistake, such as forgetting your password.
There is also a serial interface, two pads named RX and TX on the board more or less between the LAN and mini-usb.  These can de-brick a much more severe error, but are for people comfortable with soldering irons, probes, and TFTP.  Buy pizza for your local Linux user group.  Also, buy a 703n at retail and test everything with it first.

legendary
April 08, 2013, 02:25:42 PM
Hi,

yes I have done it always with wifi...
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
April 08, 2013, 02:19:47 PM
Hi,

Thanks

spiccioli
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
April 08, 2013, 01:45:16 PM
Paging Jgarzik.  Party of one.  Jgarzik, party of 1!  Your seat at the ASIC table is ready.  JGarzik, party of 1!

I think this is one dinner you'll be happy to eat alone. Smiley

So funny. Inaba after 2 months you are still a party of half-one!
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
April 08, 2013, 07:14:01 AM
Right. the Cgminer Configuration page hardcode to 3.  if you want add another pool. edit the the /etc/init.d/cgminer. add your pool here:
  https://github.com/BitSyncom/cgminer-openwrt-packages/blob/master/cgminer/files/cgminer.init#L73

It should be shows up at status page.

Xiangfu

If you do that you still need to modify /etc/init.d/cgminer to read the 4th pool parameters and add those to the command line when starting up the cgminer daemon.
I have done this -> now I have 4 pools in Cgminer Status page (one twice)
(edit: no more one twice because I had to edit /etc/config/cgminer too again..)
and
on Cgminer Configuration page still only 3 pools  Huh

The configuration page is hard coded to show 3 pools.  Adding the fourth via manually editing the file isn't supported via the web interface.
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
April 07, 2013, 03:12:04 AM
If you do that you still need to modify /etc/init.d/cgminer to read the 4th pool parameters and add those to the command line when starting up the cgminer daemon.
and

The configuration page is hard coded to show 3 pools.  Adding the fourth via manually editing the file isn't supported via the web interface.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
April 06, 2013, 05:07:50 PM
My comments about miner.php are of course meaning that once cgminer is running you can use that to change some settings (including pools)
But yeah, at startup - your gonna have to modify the initialisation that's there at the moment if you want it to survive a restart.
legendary
April 06, 2013, 04:20:32 PM
/etc/init.d/cgminer and /etc/config/cgminer modified but if I do not start manually cgminer from command line, where is this stored in luci?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
April 06, 2013, 04:02:35 PM

today i just got a new Asus Tomato router and noticed that my wireless signal quality to my gpu miners and server was down around 36-49.  any ideas how to raise that up?  boosting the transmission power didn't do anything.

Download inssider  http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and pick a channel that does not have much interference.  I was able to end dropouts on my router by doing that.

I've decided to go with direct ethernet connections ala allinvain.
legendary
April 06, 2013, 03:30:06 PM
and
Activity: 215
Merit: 101
April 06, 2013, 02:58:50 PM
I have tried in /etc/config/cgminer to add a 4. pool -> with no influence...
legendary
April 06, 2013, 02:31:42 PM
Miner.php (in the official cgminer) will allow you to manage the pools if things are configured correctly, maybe try that?
I have looked in whole luci -> there is no miner.php
I have tried in /etc/config/cgminer to add a 4. pool -> with no influence...
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
April 06, 2013, 02:10:53 PM

today i just got a new Asus Tomato router and noticed that my wireless signal quality to my gpu miners and server was down around 36-49.  any ideas how to raise that up?  boosting the transmission power didn't do anything.

The antenna position may affect signal quality, currently my best antena position is vertical to exhaust panel (e.g. pointing outwards)

For best results, he needs one of these:

Jump to: