Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 189. (Read 438378 times)

Activity: 631
Merit: 500
March 28, 2013, 02:55:39 AM

Survived 18 hours so far on p2pool without a restart, either machine or cgminer.

Mining at difficulty 16.0, with stratum, to local p2pool/bitcoind.

jeff, can you post your diff settings for p2pool? also, did you modify anything to get it working properly?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 27, 2013, 03:17:49 PM
i am using the latest "beta" firmware openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory-20130325.bin
for 2 days now and i haven't seen a problem yet. And cgminer is able to restart normally after any change in
cgminer configuration window. I would say the best fimware so far.

thats really good news.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
March 27, 2013, 04:48:36 AM
I was so eager to share tips that I did not consider too much things when I edited that wiki. There is nothing wrong with your pool.

Thanks for explanation Smiley. I understand; I edited the bitcoin.it page, so I think its fine now.
Activity: 607
March 26, 2013, 04:53:43 PM
i am using the latest "beta" firmware openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory-20130325.bin
for 2 days now and i haven't seen a problem yet. And cgminer is able to restart normally after any change in
cgminer configuration window. I would say the best fimware so far.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
March 26, 2013, 07:25:17 AM
The new location for that wiki is here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
March 26, 2013, 03:20:46 AM
One guy told me about this page http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Avalon#Start_to_mine and pointed me to the fact that my pool isn't listed there. I'm just wondering if there are any known issues with Avalon+my pool? I'm not aware of any. If everything is fine - who can edit that page and add my pool to the listing?

Sir, I must apologize for it. That "Start_to_mine" section was added by me. I tested btcguild and ozco after I received my first avalon. I was so eager to share tips that I did not consider too much things when I edited that wiki. There is nothing wrong with your pool.  And, I think we are all welcomed to edit that wiki. See the following message:

Hi

We have document the Avalon at this wiki page, please help us on that wiki page.
  http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Avalon

Xiangfu

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
March 26, 2013, 12:38:00 AM
I checked out the avalon page out of curiosity and found that they now charge a good chunk of money. 72.63BTC, that would be $5374,62 per 63GH/s.
Do you think it makes sense to order an asic from the third batch for that price? I mean its open when one will have a machine at home running and you dont know whats the competition at that time. Asicminer Shares are at a high price too now, so it will take time to break even when buying new shares. So what do you think how many days or weeks will one have to mine with an avalon from the third batch until break even? And when do you think will those machines be at home?

Nobody knows. There's way too many factors at play. If you feel it is too risky then join a group buy to minimize the risk. I personally think batch #3 will arrive before BFL ships. And if that ends up being the case batch #3 users should still make good ROI.

Thanks for suggestion. I now bought one batch 3 85GH and put 4BTC into the groupbuy. Im empty on bitcoins now... until wednesday when asicminer pays... Smiley

I see why you dont trust BFL. On March 15th they wrote they will test tomorrow and ship out then. Even though i think they put too much effort in it to be scammer (i heard they pay back money if someone doesnt want to wait anymore) it looks they cant make it. I really wonder how far they are in reality. I hope my big investment plays out. When i get the machine the difficulty and the competition will be high. And i wonder if i should search a way to get cheap power. I mean this machine would cost me $200 a month for power. Depending on the future this will be a factor.
legendary
March 25, 2013, 07:49:07 PM

Here is a thread describing my bitcoind + eloipool solo mining configuration.

This is also the configuration you would use for a mining farm.

thank you for this.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
March 25, 2013, 07:45:36 PM
I checked out the avalon page out of curiosity and found that they now charge a good chunk of money. 72.63BTC, that would be $5374,62 per 63GH/s.
Do you think it makes sense to order an asic from the third batch for that price? I mean its open when one will have a machine at home running and you dont know whats the competition at that time. Asicminer Shares are at a high price too now, so it will take time to break even when buying new shares. So what do you think how many days or weeks will one have to mine with an avalon from the third batch until break even? And when do you think will those machines be at home?

Nobody knows. There's way too many factors at play. If you feel it is too risky then join a group buy to minimize the risk. I personally think batch #3 will arrive before BFL ships. And if that ends up being the case batch #3 users should still make good ROI.
legendary
March 25, 2013, 07:40:27 PM
Activity: 631
March 25, 2013, 04:44:59 PM
That wiki has been moved to:

Thanks! Considering that I'm not aware of any problems and I see Avalons mining on my pool, I shamelessly edited the page and added myself to the listing. If anybody knows about any compatibility issues, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll fix it quickly.

I've mostly used your pool since I got my Avalon. It actually "feels" like it is the most consistent and pays out the fastest. I haven't actually done real numeric comparisons. BTCGuild has nice graphs, but it didn't seem to generate coins as fast for some reason. BTW, it would be great if you could add some nice pool graphs and stat pages  Grin

I've tried ozcoin, but the portal is way too slow for me. It takes a long time for pages to load and the Cloudflare error pages pop up a lot.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
March 25, 2013, 11:34:37 AM

Here is a thread describing my bitcoind + eloipool solo mining configuration.

This is also the configuration you would use for a mining farm.

legendary
March 24, 2013, 08:23:08 PM

Thanks! Considering that I'm not aware of any problems and I see Avalons mining on my pool, I shamelessly edited the page and added myself to the listing. If anybody knows about any compatibility issues, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll fix it quickly.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
March 24, 2013, 08:13:52 PM
One guy told me about this page http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Avalon#Start_to_mine and pointed me to the fact that my pool isn't listed there. I'm just wondering if there are any known issues with Avalon+my pool? I'm not aware of any. If everything is fine - who can edit that page and add my pool to the listing?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon

legendary
March 24, 2013, 07:56:29 PM
legendary
Activity: 966
March 24, 2013, 05:12:43 PM
2.  my router doles out ip addresses using dhcp.  the Avalon comes with a preset address.  can the Avalon be reconfigured to accept dhcp assigned addresses from my router or do i have to switch dhcp to manual static addresses?

Yes, it can be a DHCP client and get its IP address that way.

I gave mine a static IP address on my network, outside of the DHCP range, so that I don't have to hunt for it if it gets assigned a different IP somehow.

If I wanted to get fancy I could give it a static assignment on the DHCP server, based on its MAC address.
legendary
March 24, 2013, 04:37:45 PM
i have 3 questions:

1.  has the need to hard restart the Avalon been solved?  is it now down to just having to restart cgminer?
2.  my router doles out ip addresses using dhcp.  the Avalon comes with a preset address.  can the Avalon be reconfigured to accept dhcp assigned addresses from my router or do i have to switch dhcp to manual static addresses?
3.  has anyone successfully figured out how to use eloipool for solo mining?
legendary
March 24, 2013, 01:03:15 PM
It looks like in the last days 15TH/s were added to the network hashrate. While asicminer still remains at 6TH where does these come from? Are more avalons in the wild that could explain this rise or whats the source of it? http://blockchain.info/de/charts/hash-rate
legendary
Activity: 1610
March 23, 2013, 07:31:14 AM
after 22h the worker did not submit work to the pool anymore
in the logs the only thing i can see is
the unit worked , the Avalon tab the satuts was alive but the  mhs5s tab   was 0

Mar 23 03:45:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5901 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mar 23 03:50:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5910 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor

can you post dmesg + logread output next time it happens?
10X
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
March 23, 2013, 04:43:17 AM
after 22h the worker did not submit work to the pool anymore
in the logs the only thing i can see is
the unit worked , the Avalon tab the satuts was alive but the  mhs5s tab   was 0

Mar 23 03:45:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5901 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mar 23 03:50:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5910 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Jump to: