Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 196. (Read 438378 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
March 15, 2013, 06:59:34 PM
PS: when temp3 is about 50 C, the chip die is only about 65C, completely no problem. not necessary to do too hard, we already over-engineered it for you.
it's good to hear that care and attention was put into the design the Avalon housing.

thank you for providing those details
Activity: 351
Merit: 250
March 15, 2013, 05:48:54 PM
Hello

My stats read:

Code:
Fan1: 0
Fan2: 2880
Fan3: 2520

Temp1:26
Temp2: -1
Temp3:47

However, it appears all fans are spinning. Any ideas?

Activity: 607
Merit: 500
March 15, 2013, 05:19:21 PM
when can we order the expansion modules?
can we fit more than 4 modules in this batch1 m/b if we make a bigger box?
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
March 15, 2013, 04:45:48 PM
mineral oil? Maybe? in summer Id like to try that if possible
ok to use longer flat cables?
Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
March 15, 2013, 04:29:21 PM
adding a fans and drilling a holes is completely different thing. So leting hot air out with decreased air presure may turn out to be better

front fans press "cool air" inside the PSU. drill holes will reduce the amount of cool air. so the PSU will die faster.

the air blow to PSU didn't go through module heatsink, so they are maintain cool.

drill holes about the PSU will let those valuable cool air run over...

PS: when temp3 is about 50 C, the chip die is only about 65C, completely no problem. not necessary to do too hard, we already over-engineered it for you.
legendary
March 15, 2013, 04:25:29 PM
adding a fans and drilling a holes is completely different thing. So leting hot air out with decreased air presure may turn out to be better

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1628608

trust the designer.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
March 15, 2013, 04:23:48 PM
Try air conditioning the room to a lower overall ambient temperature.  This is a sure fire way to reduce heat and keep the units within their design specifications.  
legendary
Activity: 1610
March 15, 2013, 04:23:37 PM
legendary
March 15, 2013, 04:21:43 PM

the PSU will die faster.

add rear fans will decrease air pressure in the box.  it will cause the PSU over heat.

Ng,
What about drilling small holes just above PSU fan to let hot air out?
What do you think good/bad. The holes are small no to destroy aluminum box and it to be able to work as heatsink

he answered some posts earlier, will decrease air pressure causing overheat. the math is all done! I will follow all recomendations.
legendary
Activity: 1610
March 15, 2013, 04:21:04 PM

the PSU will die faster.

add rear fans will decrease air pressure in the box.  it will cause the PSU over heat.

Ng,
What about drilling small holes just above PSU fan to let hot air out?
What do you think good/bad. The holes are small no to destroy aluminum box and it to be able to work as heatsink
legendary
March 15, 2013, 04:19:09 PM
i think keep the machine horizontal is a good idea.

some reason:

1, the hash moudle (with heatsink) is heavy, there are 6 screw fasten each one to the bottom, but ....  who knows what will happen after some time (if the machine is vertical).
2, fans will deliver cool air to PSU .  the duct design is based on the machine is setted horizontal .

PS: do not drillling on the box. we need the airepressure inside the box to help the PSU to cool itself .

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?

how? there are already 3 fans.

So I guess the holes without fans are in the back panel... my mistake.
Put two more fans help suck the hot air faster,I will

the PSU will die faster.

add rear fans will decrease air pressure in the box.  it will cause the PSU over heat.
if you say so! hehe, horizontal and no more fans.  any other consideration to keep it safe?
We will stand and fight.
March 15, 2013, 04:12:47 PM

some reason:

1, the hash moudle (with heatsink) is heavy, there are 6 screw fasten each one to the bottom, but ....  who knows what will happen after some time (if the machine is vertical).
2, fans will deliver cool air to PSU .  the duct design is based on the machine is setted horizontal .

PS: do not drillling on the box. we need the airepressure inside the box to help the PSU to cool itself .

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?

the PSU will die faster.

add rear fans will decrease air pressure in the box.  it will cause the PSU over heat.
legendary
March 15, 2013, 04:00:02 PM

some reason:

legendary
Activity: 966
March 15, 2013, 03:45:51 PM
you just restarted cgminer or restarted the whole thing with power on/off?

Just cgminer.

System --> Startup --> cgminer --> Restart
We will stand and fight.
March 15, 2013, 03:43:33 PM

some reason:

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 15, 2013, 03:41:17 PM
I stood mine up vertically with the PS at the top, desktop PC style.

http://i.imgur.com/ray5NRA.jpg

It runs very cool and quiet.  The case is always cool to the touch, and the air coming out the back is not very warm.  The warmest air is what comes out of the power supply.  Temp3 is consistently reported at 42c.

I have not had to use it yet, but what you see behind the Avalon is a Web Power Switch.  Should the Avalon need to be power-cycled, I can just access the WPS (remotely if need be) and have it do it.  If need be, the WPS can even be configured to ping the Avalon itself and automatically power-cycle it if it becomes unresponsive.

All in all a pretty handy gadget:

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

It could easily pay for itself in just one or two incidents.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I've always been feeling the right side of the case.  Touching the left side now where the modules anchor to the case, it's quite warm.  I guess it's dissipating through the case like it's meant to.

how loud is it Bogart?

A lot quieter than the GPU miner that sits near it.  It's making a bit more noise not that I have it running at 300MHz.  Definitely louder than a normal desktop PC.

A few minutes ago it freaked out and ran the fans on full blast for a bit a few times.  Looking at the status page shows crazy values for the temp and fan readings:

http://i.imgur.com/E1FbMJ1.png

Then it stopped hashing.  I restarted cgminer and all is well again for now.

you just restarted cgminer or restarted the whole thing with power on/off?
legendary
Activity: 966
March 15, 2013, 03:34:07 PM

It runs very cool and quiet.  The case is always cool to the touch, and the air coming out the back is not very warm.  The warmest air is what comes out of the power supply.  Temp3 is consistently reported at 42c.

I have not had to use it yet, but what you see behind the Avalon is a Web Power Switch.  Should the Avalon need to be power-cycled, I can just access the WPS (remotely if need be) and have it do it.  If need be, the WPS can even be configured to ping the Avalon itself and automatically power-cycle it if it becomes unresponsive.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I've always been feeling the right side of the case.  Touching the left side now where the modules anchor to the case, it's quite warm.  I guess it's dissipating through the case like it's meant to.

how loud is it Bogart?

A lot quieter than the GPU miner that sits near it.  It's making a bit more noise not that I have it running at 300MHz.  Definitely louder than a normal desktop PC.

A few minutes ago it freaked out and ran the fans on full blast for a bit a few times.  Looking at the status page shows crazy values for the temp and fan readings:

http://i.imgur.com/E1FbMJ1.png

Then it stopped hashing.  I restarted cgminer and all is well again for now.
legendary
March 15, 2013, 03:23:21 PM

some reason:

if I decide to install more fans in the front, respecting the air flow, it is also a good idea,  right ?
We will stand and fight.
March 15, 2013, 02:45:39 PM

some reason:

1, the hash moudle (with heatsink) is heavy, there are 6 screw fasten each one to the bottom, but ....  who knows what will happen after some time (if the machine is vertical).
2, fans will deliver cool air to PSU .  the duct design is based on the machine is setted horizontal .

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 15, 2013, 02:00:21 PM

how loud is it Bogart?
Jump to: