Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 197. (Read 438378 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
March 15, 2013, 01:56:04 PM
I'm going to rack mine, for now just placing on a shelf in the racks. Their home is already waiting for them.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
March 15, 2013, 01:46:33 PM
I stood mine up vertically with the PS at the top, desktop PC style.

http://i.imgur.com/ray5NRA.jpg

It runs very cool and quiet.  The case is always cool to the touch, and the air coming out the back is not very warm.  The warmest air is what comes out of the power supply.  Temp3 is consistently reported at 42c.

I have not had to use it yet, but what you see behind the Avalon is a Web Power Switch.  Should the Avalon need to be power-cycled, I can just access the WPS (remotely if need be) and have it do it.  If need be, the WPS can even be configured to ping the Avalon itself and automatically power-cycle it if it becomes unresponsive.

All in all a pretty handy gadget:

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

It could easily pay for itself in just one or two incidents.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I've always been feeling the right side of the case.  Touching the left side now where the modules anchor to the case, it's quite warm.  I guess it's dissipating through the case like it's meant to.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 15, 2013, 01:32:46 PM
What's the best way to orient the machine for best heat dissipation? I noticed the "bottom" (large surface with most screws) is the hottest. Would placing the machine hot-side up be the best? Or would that be unadvised in case something comes loose due to fan vibration? I've seen a few people stand their machines up vertically too.

Standing the machine up vertically led to increased temperature readings, here.

I saw in the brief Bitcoin Foundation video that Yifu had oriented the machine laying down; I copied that.

yes, but he also had the side off in that video probably just for display purposes.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
March 15, 2013, 01:25:31 PM
What's the best way to orient the machine for best heat dissipation? I noticed the "bottom" (large surface with most screws) is the hottest. Would placing the machine hot-side up be the best? Or would that be unadvised in case something comes loose due to fan vibration? I've seen a few people stand their machines up vertically too.

Standing the machine up vertically led to increased temperature readings, here.

I saw in the brief Bitcoin Foundation video that Yifu had oriented the machine laying down; I copied that.

Activity: 631
March 15, 2013, 01:14:52 PM
legendary
Activity: 1610
March 15, 2013, 12:16:48 PM
Hi

I think this is a good news.  Grin.  no need change to 64RAM. most Avalon will use the default 703N. 64RAM was only for experience. the hardware upgrade is endless.
  4MB flash --> 8MB flash --> 16MB flash.
  32MB mem --> 64MB mem --> 128MB mem
I think we can put more time on software. Smiley you can put time on find the root cause of why cgminer keep reboot.  the log message will be very useful.

If you like, here is the 64MB mem chip model:
  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n#mb.ram.mod

1. Bad news: My wr703 has only 32M of RAM. Can somebody post what is the model of the ram chip so i can buy one and upgrade?

Please post RAM 64M chip model.

xiangfu,

Thanks for your input!
I will change both ram and FLASH because i am going to move unit in the friends office soon, because of electricity cost. I want to have openvpn, 3g, screen.ncurses, php and a lot more inside so they both will be changed.
My 8M custom image is waiting a long time ago and i do have missing parts already boot and art partitions  Wink

About  root cause of why cgminer keep reboot. I will not be able to do it because i am powering off/on the unit automatically and there are no logs left. However when i am at home - 10 hours a week i will disable the power off/on and if something wrong happens i will report it for sure!
Activity: 871
March 15, 2013, 11:50:57 AM
Hi

I made a mistake on that pools. already fixed in trunk. but don't have time release the image yet. you can fix that by yourself:(replease User=(%d+) with User=(.*) ), telnet or ssh to YOUR_AVALON_IPADDRESS. run this command:
  sed -i 's/User=(%d+)/User=(.*)/'  /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/cgminer.lua  && rm -rf /tmp/luci-*

Xiangfu

Cgminer Status > Pools, is empty.
so you got yours  Cheesy
Yep  Grin

Have u something in Pools Status?

Working! Many thanks Xingfu
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
March 15, 2013, 11:13:12 AM

2. God news: It worked straight out of the box Smiley I am running it with 40:300 and it makes exactly 71919.43 Mh/s based on Difficulty Accepted:65,942.00.

So sounds like your overclock is working nicely! Keep us posted on the heat situation and any further progress you make to take this thing up. You've already increased it 6Ghash, that's a huge measure of improvement.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
March 15, 2013, 11:11:51 AM
Hi

I think this is a good news.  Grin.  no need change to 64RAM. most Avalon will use the default 703N. 64RAM was only for experience. the hardware upgrade is endless.
  4MB flash --> 8MB flash --> 16MB flash.
  32MB mem --> 64MB mem --> 128MB mem
I think we can put more time on software. Smiley you can put time on find the root cause of why cgminer keep reboot.  the log message will be very useful.

If you like, here is the 64MB mem chip model:
  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n#mb.ram.mod

1. Bad news: My wr703 has only 32M of RAM. Can somebody post what is the model of the ram chip so i can buy one and upgrade?

legendary
March 15, 2013, 10:53:34 AM

I don't like the idea of metal filings falling into my power supply.  Especially aluminum filings.

It will die for sure if you drill while working PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT

I will power it off,

remove all the stuff from the box,
drill it clean it and put everything back together that is the right way to go
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
March 15, 2013, 10:50:45 AM
guys, i am not willing to change anything in the machine except the absolutely necessary,
IP,pools and thats it. No firmware update not anything else. very rare and delicate equipment to play with Cheesy

Good point as long there are no problems and it works:)
I know i have to do exactly same thing but..I will mod it for sure - cooling, 3g, 8M flash
I am wondering if power supply is strong enough to handle overclock to 300?

as long as it says 600W-235V on the wall clocked at 282 it means that PSU output is something like 600x0.8 is 480 Wats. I know that it is 650 Wats PSU output but i am wandering how power consummation increases when clocked at 300? It may become something like 550 W in tottal which might be too high for the PSU? I am a kindind of person who prefers to have spare Wats especially speaking of PSU. If you have noticed Bitcoin foundation unit has 1100 Wats PSu for 4 Asics - 850W should be more that enough.
Ngzhang can you comment that when you have time of course. Shall all of us be worried about penitential Power issues when clocked to 300 with Stock 650W PSU?

Oh i forgot i will drill a couple of tiny holes for sure just on top of PSu to let some of the hot air to come out instead going into the box. The holes must be tiny because they will not destroy aluminum and it will be still able to work as a heat sink

I don't like the idea of metal filings falling into my power supply.  Especially aluminum filings.
legendary
March 15, 2013, 10:48:16 AM
Oh i forgot i will drill a couple of tiny holes for sure just on top of PSu to let some of the hot air to come out instead going into the box. The holes must be tiny because they will not destroy aluminum and it will be still able to work as a heat sink

OMG swarf.

I'll buy the Avalon off you after you fry it.   Smiley
Hey,

The unit will be powered off and completely dissembled first Smiley Keep dreaming dude Smiley

Here are my impressions so far  1h 05m 38s up time

2. God news: It worked straight out of the box Smiley I am running it with 40:300 and it makes exactly 71919.43 Mh/s based on Difficulty Accepted:65,942.00.

Fan2 Fan3 Temp1 Temp2 Temp3
1800 1920   15      -1          43

HW error % extremely low just:0.07%

3. I had three gloves in the package Smiley

Guy's (Ngzhang),

10X
legendary
Activity: 966
March 15, 2013, 07:10:08 AM

OMG swarf.

I'll buy the Avalon off you after you fry it.   Smiley
legendary
March 15, 2013, 05:02:54 AM
guys, i am not willing to change anything in the machine except the absolutely necessary,
IP,pools and thats it. No firmware update not anything else. very rare and delicate equipment to play with Cheesy

Good point as long there are no problems and it works:)
I know i have to do exactly same thing but..I will mod it for sure - cooling, 3g, 8M flash
I am wondering if power supply is strong enough to handle overclock to 300?

as long as it says 600W-235V on the wall clocked at 282 it means that PSU output is something like 600x0.8 is 480 Wats. I know that it is 650 Wats PSU output but i am wandering how power consummation increases when clocked at 300? It may become something like 550 W in tottal which might be too high for the PSU? I am a kindind of person who prefers to have spare Wats especially speaking of PSU. If you have noticed Bitcoin foundation unit has 1100 Wats PSu for 4 Asics - 850W should be more that enough.
Ngzhang can you comment that when you have time of course. Shall all of us be worried about penitential Power issues when clocked to 300 with Stock 650W PSU?

Activity: 607
March 15, 2013, 03:48:08 AM
Activity: 681
March 15, 2013, 03:24:28 AM
Hi

I made a mistake on that pools. already fixed in trunk. but don't have time release the image yet. you can fix that by yourself:(replease User=(%d+) with User=(.*) ), telnet or ssh to YOUR_AVALON_IPADDRESS. run this command:
  sed -i 's/User=(%d+)/User=(.*)/'  /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/cgminer.lua  && rm -rf /tmp/luci-*

Xiangfu

so you got yours  Cheesy
Yep  Grin

Thanks! Now I can see eligius in my pools list, in addition to ozcoin.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100
March 15, 2013, 03:12:59 AM
Hi

Xiangfu

so you got yours  Cheesy
Yep  Grin

Activity: 45
Merit: 10
March 15, 2013, 02:30:38 AM
Hello,

I'm having a problem where I can't get the cgminer started from init.d.

I can mine with this command:

Code:
cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -o stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -O xxxx:yyyy -D --verbose --avalon-options 115200:24:10:45:282 --api-allow "W:0/0" --api-listen 2>/tmp/cgminer-debug.log

(proper username of course)

but when I try to run
Code:
/etc/init.d/cgminer start
I get:

Code:
ntpd: resolved peer 3.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 74.117.214.3
ntpd: sent query to 74.117.214.3
ntpd: resolved peer 2.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 66.228.59.187
ntpd: sent query to 66.228.59.187
ntpd: resolved peer 1.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 204.235.61.9
ntpd: sent query to 204.235.61.9
ntpd: resolved peer 0.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 69.65.40.29
ntpd: sent query to 69.65.40.29
Alarm clock

The cgminer API log says:

Code:
Socket connect failed: Connection refused

Any ideas?

This issue is resolved-- I ran into optimator in ##avalon on Freenode and we determined what was causing this behaviour.  Just wanted to capture the findings here in case others encounter the same issue.

The problem was a firewall on the network blocking outbound tcp & udp traffic on port 123.  This was causing ntpd to fail (and have a non-0 exit status).  cgminer is invoked only if the exit status of ntpd is 0-- according the the /etc/init.d/cgminer script (see '&&' near end of line 46).

Happy mining optimator!   Smiley
Activity: 351
Merit: 250
March 15, 2013, 12:27:53 AM
Hello,

I'm having a problem where I can't get the cgminer started from init.d.

I can mine with this command:

Code:
cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -o stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -O xxxx:yyyy -D --verbose --avalon-options 115200:24:10:45:282 --api-allow "W:0/0" --api-listen 2>/tmp/cgminer-debug.log

(proper username of course)

but when I try to run
Code:
/etc/init.d/cgminer start
I get:

Code:
ntpd: resolved peer 3.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 74.117.214.3
ntpd: sent query to 74.117.214.3
ntpd: resolved peer 2.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 66.228.59.187
ntpd: sent query to 66.228.59.187
ntpd: resolved peer 1.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 204.235.61.9
ntpd: sent query to 204.235.61.9
ntpd: resolved peer 0.openwrt.pool.ntp.org to 69.65.40.29
ntpd: sent query to 69.65.40.29
Alarm clock

The cgminer API log says:

Code:

Any ideas?

legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
March 14, 2013, 05:24:00 PM
Had to power-cycle the miner at uptime 1 day, 21 hours.  cgminer was responding, but no mining work was going upstream to the pool.  The 'hardware errors' count was increasing rapidly.
now here was nearly the same -> had to manually restart the machine, no connection to the machine possible...
(in which log can I see whats happen? are logs stored after reboot?)
Jump to: