Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 201. (Read 438374 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
March 09, 2013, 06:46:01 AM

i've never used ssh before. how hard is that to setup?  

good question.

with SSH you go into command line interface of router, so you can edit the file yourself.
I know that cause I use same router and image by xiangfu as host to my icarus. avalon may be quite the same.

this script is called cgminer and resides in /etc/init.d/

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

POOL1="-o http://stratum.ozco.in:80 -O user:password"
POOL2="-o http://us.ozco.in:80 -O user:password"

POOLS="$POOL1 $POOL2 $POOL3"

start() {
        DEVS=`find /dev/ -type c -name "ttyUSB*"  | sed 's/^/-S/' |  sed ':a;N;$
        cgminer -q -T --api-network --api-listen $POOLS $DEVS &
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer
Well that sux ...
Those API settings mean you can't control cgminer, you can only view it.
If you want to be able to control cgminer ... it's documented in the API-README ...

I fail to see where that sucks, Its mine config, so far so good since I dont have the need to control cgminer remotely
and we were talking about the openwrt GUI here...   but nice input.

avalon user reading this,  cgminer API is a whole new world and will require edit config file via console
well - what it means is that rather than using the API to shut it down, you can only kill the cgminer process directly
If instead you used say --api-allow w:127.0.0.1
then from the avalon you can issue commands to cgminer (e.g. 'quit' or 'restart') or even better if you add
--api-allow w:127.0.0.1,w:192.168.0/24 then you can user miner.php running on some other computer to control cgminer - e.g. to add pools ... and MANY other things ... as per API-README Smiley
(of course you'd have to use the correct 192.168.0/24 to match your network)
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
March 09, 2013, 06:39:43 AM

good question.

with SSH you go into command line interface of router, so you can edit the file yourself.
I know that cause I use same router and image by xiangfu as host to my icarus. avalon may be quite the same.

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

start() {
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer
Well that sux ...
If you want to be able to control cgminer ... it's documented in the API-README ...

I fail to see where that sucks, Its mine config, so far so good since I dont have the need to control cgminer remotely
and we were talking about the openwrt GUI here...   but nice input.

avalon user reading this,  cgminer API is a whole new world and will require edit config file via console
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
March 09, 2013, 06:08:40 AM

good question.

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

start() {
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer
Well that sux ...
legendary
March 08, 2013, 11:44:18 PM

good question.

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

start() {
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer

There's a web interface where you can just fill out the form, or so I'm told.  No ssh needed.

true. its all there.

but isn't ssh used to allow remote management in case you want to check on things or restart if frozen?

you can use both remotely, login as root via ssh gives you more power though
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 08, 2013, 11:32:33 PM

good question.

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

start() {
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer

There's a web interface where you can just fill out the form, or so I'm told.  No ssh needed.

true. its all there.

but isn't ssh used to allow remote management in case you want to check on things or restart if frozen?
legendary
March 08, 2013, 10:32:37 PM

good question.

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

start() {
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer

There's a web interface where you can just fill out the form, or so I'm told.  No ssh needed.

true. its all there.
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
March 08, 2013, 10:19:34 PM

good question.

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

start() {
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer

legendary
March 08, 2013, 09:59:00 PM

good question.

Code:
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=99

start() {
}

stop() {
        killall -s 9 cgminer

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 08, 2013, 09:22:55 PM
sure man, no doubt.  but one simple script could get that holy cgminer file with preconfigured data and thats it, IF, the if they had all the data in good shape. which is not the case, since they have to manually check all the orders. so they are already having that extra work.

If you look in their github, you can see that there's actually very little to edit.  There's space for three pools and that's it.  It takes the user all of 30 seconds to edit.  If they did it for people, it doesn't save the end user any time, especially if things change between when they get the pool info and when the device ships.

In addition, they'd be having to match physical devices with shipping labels, etc where right now, they just stuff any device in a box and ship. If you ordered, shut up and enjoy your interest(tm).  If you didn't order, you're in the wrong thread. :p

Bro! Im just saying thats not impossible and would be neat, It does not diminish the fact that its an AWESOME product.

Im waiting Avalon and Im sure I can beat that 30 seconds set up via SSH Grin

You have to setup via the web interface first before you can get to ssh, thats why I said 30. Wink

legendary
March 08, 2013, 09:02:56 PM
sure man, no doubt.  but one simple script could get that holy cgminer file with preconfigured data and thats it, IF, the if they had all the data in good shape. which is not the case, since they have to manually check all the orders. so they are already having that extra work.

If you look in their github, you can see that there's actually very little to edit.  There's space for three pools and that's it.  It takes the user all of 30 seconds to edit.  If they did it for people, it doesn't save the end user any time, especially if things change between when they get the pool info and when the device ships.

In addition, they'd be having to match physical devices with shipping labels, etc where right now, they just stuff any device in a box and ship. If you ordered, shut up and enjoy your interest(tm).  If you didn't order, you're in the wrong thread. :p

Bro! Im just saying thats not impossible and would be neat, It does not diminish the fact that its an AWESOME product.

You have to setup via the web interface first before you can get to ssh, thats why I said 30. Wink

from wiki:
ssh [email protected] # Once you setup the password the telnet service will be stop. use ssh instead.

telnet then? well we lost way more time discussing this.
vip
March 08, 2013, 08:57:34 PM

legendary
March 08, 2013, 08:50:21 PM

vip
March 08, 2013, 08:46:46 PM
sure man, no doubt.  but one simple script could get that holy cgminer file with preconfigured data and thats it, IF, the if they had all the data in good shape. which is not the case, since they have to manually check all the orders. so they are already having that extra work.

If you look in their github, you can see that there's actually very little to edit.  There's space for three pools and that's it.  It takes the user all of 30 seconds to edit.  If they did it for people, it doesn't save the end user any time, especially if things change between when they get the pool info and when the device ships.

In addition, they'd be having to match physical devices with shipping labels, etc where right now, they just stuff any device in a box and ship. If you ordered, shut up and enjoy your interest(tm).  If you didn't order, you're in the wrong thread. :p
legendary
March 08, 2013, 08:43:02 PM
Is there any way to tell if they arent setting up their own separate mining farm on the side ?

No.  The units come preconfigured with a default pool and credentials, so if you follow those stats, you can see how many units are powered on but not reconfigured yet. Smiley

LOL... would be neat if they were preconfigured to mine in a pool with custom user and pointed to buyers bitcoin address.

I guess thats not the case. if you have an avalon please log into that GUI.

Doesn't it make sense to just ship a default and let each buyer spend 5 minutes configuring the device vs them having to configure all 300 and then ship?  Break the work out among all buyers so everyone gets the gear faster.

sure man, no doubt.  im just saying making it plug and play would be nice, with DHCP and all. you already see lots of people asking how to set the thing up. one simple script could get that holy cgminer file with preconfigured info, IF, the they had all the data in good shape. which is not the case, since they have to manually check all the orders. so they are already having that extra work.

and of course, dont forget that those 5 minutes to get acquainted with machine will be the most exciting of all avalon experience. so still valid.
vip
March 08, 2013, 08:39:28 PM
Is there any way to tell if they arent setting up their own separate mining farm on the side ?

No.  The units come preconfigured with a default pool and credentials, so if you follow those stats, you can see how many units are powered on but not reconfigured yet. Smiley

LOL... would be neat if they were preconfigured to mine in a pool with custom user and pointed to buyers bitcoin address.

Doesn't it make sense to just ship a default and let each buyer spend 5 minutes configuring the device vs them having to configure all 300 and then ship?  Break the work out among all buyers so everyone gets the gear faster.
legendary
March 08, 2013, 08:26:22 PM

vip
March 08, 2013, 08:23:23 PM

No.  The units come preconfigured with a default pool and credentials, so if you follow those stats, you can see how many units are powered on but not reconfigured yet. Smiley
Activity: 658
March 05, 2013, 05:59:37 PM
Apparently it's good to 300 mhz, but hits a brick wall there. Believed to be a coding or software issue.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003
March 05, 2013, 05:38:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Grin
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
March 05, 2013, 05:30:55 PM
Jump to: