Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 202. (Read 438363 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003
March 05, 2013, 05:26:56 PM
can you please check the firmware bin with the option  to overclock
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/avalon/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory-20130128-32-oc.bin

20130127:
  * Add overclock code
  * Change the cgminer configure to UCI system
  * Add the simple web ui

Regards
Thorvald
Where is the source code for this?

Would love to get some feedback on BFGMiner for Avalon alpha as well..

on github? the overclocking para is been in the git for awhile now, it's just not enabled by default.

I'll forward the BFGMiner.
What is the stock speed (66Ghz) in Mhz?
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
March 02, 2013, 08:20:20 PM
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/avalon/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory-20130128-32-oc.bin

20130127:
  * Add overclock code
  * Add the simple web ui

Regards
Thorvald

on github? the overclocking para is been in the git for awhile now, it's just not enabled by default.

I'll forward the BFGMiner.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
March 02, 2013, 06:27:51 PM

20130127:
  * Add overclock code
  * Add the simple web ui

Regards
Thorvald

Activity: 388
Merit: 250
March 02, 2013, 12:22:37 PM

20130127:
  * Add overclock code
  * Add the simple web ui

Regards
Thorvald
Activity: 298
March 01, 2013, 07:32:42 AM
shouldn't we get an update today?

That'd be nice, but what makes you think they'll update today?
sorry, I meant to post that in asicminer thread! ;-) friedcat posts updates every thursday. And I was browsing the wrong thread when I posted this.
legendary
February 28, 2013, 06:04:04 PM
I`ve heard that the avalon "eats"(slows) the internet, is that true?  BTC GUILD at high difficult >100.
It shouldn't, at least mining on Eligius. I would imagine BTCGuild would handle it fine as well.
Activity: 290
Merit: 100
February 28, 2013, 06:01:00 PM
I`ve heard that the avalon "eats"(slows) the internet, is that true?  BTC GUILD at high difficult >100.
Activity: 434
February 28, 2013, 05:30:17 PM

That'd be nice, but what makes you think they'll update today?
Activity: 298
February 28, 2013, 05:14:29 PM
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
February 25, 2013, 08:58:56 PM
Is there any way to tell if they arent setting up their own separate mining farm on the side ?

Yes. They sold shares based on a 12Thps mining operation. If they do not reach that consistently (summed over whichever pools they mine) then they are either not delivering on promises or mining solo and not telling anyone.

I'm confident they'll not be doing anything dodgy. Their first step was to mine at a known and very public pool - this is important so investors can clearly see how much ASICMiner is returning.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
February 25, 2013, 08:30:37 PM
Is there any way to tell if they arent setting up their own separate mining farm on the side ?

I doubt there is a way. But i wouldnt have invested in friedcat if i would have seen some signs of low character or similar. So i trust them at this point. I think they really work hard... but cant handle the much work on its own.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
February 25, 2013, 07:04:39 PM
So how many avalons are mining now at what hashrate?
5 x 66 Gh/s have been confirmed, maybe 6. So optimistically 400 Gh/s. One unit had 4 instead of 3 modules, so it's a bit faster.

The bulk of the built machine have probably only shipped out after CNY and are either currently in transit or stuck at customs... hard to tell without any updates or tracking being available.

As all of the first batch #1 of 300 units will be shipped out by the end of Feb, by mid March you will notice about 20 Th/s come online. Perhaps by then it will only be background noise compared to the 50 Th/s ASICminer will release. And the 2 test machines BFL will put online :-)

Obviously this model did not work out due to CNY and shipping problems:

http://organofcorti.blogspot.be/2013/01/96-asic-choices-wwje-update.html

edit:
(I am referring to the arrival part, the update #3 of the model is indeed more realistic)

Thats not as much as i thought. So Asicminer is still the biggest with 3.6TH at the moment. But what i wonder is what Asicminer is working on. It looks like they can build 0.2TH per day and bring it online. But avalon claimed that they can prepare 12 units a day, together 0.78TH. And Avalon has to create a full standalone thing while asicminer only has to put in one board in the rack.

So what i think about is what friedcat and co are working on that takes that much time. Are they sitting with a soldering bolt at a PCB and working to get the asics on the plate or what is the timeeater? I mean they dont have the 12TH online till now and in the next days 50TH will come shipped to them because the fab was faster than they thought. I see there is a problem but i dont know what it is that is eating the time. Even though they work around the clock they claim.
I already suggested that even when they hire professional electricians the salary wouldnt be high in comparision to the mined bitcoins with the units. But i would like to know what steps they have to do now that is eating the time. Does someone know? Friedcat doesnt answer now that he is busy so much. But i still think the speed now is a problem and some solution must be found. And i dont mean that friedcat or co has to work more. They should get help. But without knowing wheres the problem no one can suggest a solution really.

legendary
February 25, 2013, 02:13:46 AM
I know they all need unique IP but I'm surprised they're not configured to use DHCP by default. Anyway, I'll see when my unit arrive.
Why they must use DHCP by default? 95% devices I saw, was configured with static address, cos users often don't have any dhcp-service running. Even more complicated hardware (for example ISP hardware) have static addresses by default... If device have dhcp client enabled by default, it have fallback option to preconfigured ip address or custom software to change ip address without any address binded.
Huh? What decade are you living in? Everything made for end-users today assumes a DHCP environment.

If by end user you meant someone who can barely use a router... Sure, the wan will be dhcp and lan have a static ip with dhcp.
But all other gear for people with a clue, well supposed to have a clue like a bitcoin miner, static ip is very reasonable.
No ISP gear has dhcp turned on by default like a switch, router, dslam, etc...
Only because DHCP can't scale to networking.
DHCP is the routing protocol for last-hop; would you run your ISP equipment without any routing protocols?

Your point is true. But cant you imagine if they did use dhcp? Ppl would be saying they plugged it in but cannot figure out the ip.
Then ppl would say download nmap to do a ping scan.. And etc... Using a static ip is reasonable to me. A lot of gear comes that way. Well at least specialized gear that is.
You make a good point, but at least it can be accessed on a normal network this way.
And I suspect most home routers come with a handy interface to view the DHCP lease table along with hostnames of each machine.
Now if only they more consistently ran a local DNS server like mine does (I can just ping nameofdeviceIjustpluggedin), it'd be perfect.. Wink
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
February 25, 2013, 01:57:25 AM
Thanks fcmatt, your explanation better than my Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
February 25, 2013, 01:50:49 AM
I know they all need unique IP but I'm surprised they're not configured to use DHCP by default. Anyway, I'll see when my unit arrive.
Why they must use DHCP by default? 95% devices I saw, was configured with static address, cos users often don't have any dhcp-service running. Even more complicated hardware (for example ISP hardware) have static addresses by default... If device have dhcp client enabled by default, it have fallback option to preconfigured ip address or custom software to change ip address without any address binded.
Huh? What decade are you living in? Everything made for end-users today assumes a DHCP environment.

If by end user you meant someone who can barely use a router... Sure, the wan will be dhcp and lan have a static ip with dhcp.
But all other gear for people with a clue, well supposed to have a clue like a bitcoin miner, static ip is very reasonable.
DHCP is the routing protocol for last-hop; would you run your ISP equipment without any routing protocols?

Your point is true. But cant you imagine if they did use dhcp? Ppl would be saying they plugged it in but cannot figure out the ip.
Then ppl would say download nmap to do a ping scan.. And etc... Using a static ip is reasonable to me. A lot of gear comes that way. Well at least specialized gear that is.
legendary
February 25, 2013, 01:17:16 AM

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
February 25, 2013, 01:07:26 AM

Ppl are making a mountain out of a molehill by worrying about this so much. Just make sure you have a cross over cable if your pc is not connected to a switch. Otherwise str8 through cable from avalon to switch. Change ip on pc, configure avalon to right ip, netmask, df gw.. Or dhcp..Then reboot it. Then change pc back to dhcp.

Now both are online...
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
February 24, 2013, 09:47:00 PM
Why they must use DHCP by default? 95% devices I saw, was configured with static address, cos users often don't have any dhcp-service running.

Uhhhh ... which users would they be?
legendary
February 24, 2013, 09:45:30 PM
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
February 24, 2013, 08:30:23 PM
Jump to: