Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 38. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
December 31, 2013, 01:13:47 PM
Does the gen2 unit use the same controller and power distribution as gen1 with only difference being the firmware on the controller?
Activity: 403
December 31, 2013, 01:12:24 PM
Smoothrunnings,

What I am talking about is that after new PSU plugin, it no worky.  The Series2, 55nm units are shipping and they have 2 blades in them.  You can see what they look like by taking  a look around Ebay.  The problem was that the GreatWall PSU is a POS and, as you might expect, could not supply enough wattage to hit the 200 – 220 Ghash mark without the machine continually restarting (I’e not enough electrons to do the job at hand).  This, in turn, predicated the PSU replacement and VIOLA, burnt silicon smell (ie.. the magic smoke might have been released ...... I hope note).  I've verified that both PSUs are operationally fine by bridging the green wire to a black ground wire and BOTH PSUs kicked on just fine.  Thus, not a PSU problem.  I’m trying to diagnose, and better yet learn from those who came before me, if that burnt silicone smell is as bad as I imagine it and *IF* I need to order myself a shiny new controller board.  So, what you think?

H@shKraker
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
December 31, 2013, 12:51:24 PM
Hola brethren and Ladies,

A buddy of mine received his series 2, 55nm Avalon unit and noticed that no matter what he tried under no circumstances could the "Great Wall of China" PSU that shipped with the unit reach 200Ghash stably ( in a room cooled to 20F by ambient air .... it's winter).  I mentioned to him that LOTS of folks regularly upgrade the PSU to an OCZ1250 and that even though these are REALLY hard to find these days due to OCZ's bankruptcy any 1250watt to 1300watt PSU from a reputable supplier should do the trick.  I've had GREAT luck powering cubes with Rosewill 1300w units so I recommended he get himself one of those I can get 4 cubes on a single 1300w at high clock).  He did just that and it arrived yesterday.  We dutifully removed the top cover and disconnected the GreatWall PSU and plugged in the Rosewill.  However, when we tried to power up the Rosewill nothing happened.  My buddy unplugged the ATX plug and shorted the green wire to the black wire and everything sprang to life.  We were then able to access the web interface BUT cgminer was not hashing AT ALL.  This is when the real fun began.  We started to smell that all too uncomfortable “burnt chip” smell.  We unplugged everything VERY QUICKLY and took a coffee break to let things rest.  When we came back we reattached the GreatWall PSU to see if everything would power up again.  Again, here comes that burnt chip smell AND when I touched the Avalon controller board it was HELLA Hot.  In particular the voltage regulator on the controller board has WAY TOO HOT tom comfortably touch.  My experience in electronics tells me that means bad things are happening so … here are my questions ->

1)    Is there any reason plugging upgraded PSU into the Avalon PDU board would kill the controller board
2)   Is it possible that Avalon controller board is fried-N-dead?

Many thanks for your reply.

H@shKraker

Not sure what you are talking about, I don't recall there being an Avalon serious 2 rig being built by our friend Yifu. As for not reaching 200GH/s with the PSU in it, it would have been a good idea to check what PSU shipped with the unit. You can find 1300W PSU from Antec which are platinum standard. Corsair makes a 1250w PSU.

If you need a board you need to order it from Avalon-Asic or from whoever manufactured it. Also the Avalon's I have seen B1, B2, and B3's all have a place for the power plug that normally plugs into the motherboard on a PC.
December 31, 2013, 12:32:09 PM
if someone want a defective module i can sell one.
Yes,
I am looking for 1 or 2 modules hopefully from the US to save on shipping costs.
My plan is to use pairs of 10 chips boards and connect them to a Klondike controller.

this is a full module with 80 chips
Yes this is 8 individual sub units with 10 chips on each. Hopefully only 1 or 2 of the sub units is defective.
The good sub units would be connected to a modified Klondike controller in pairs.
Activity: 462
December 31, 2013, 12:19:40 PM
Yes,
I am looking for 1 or 2 modules hopefully from the US to save on shipping costs.
My plan is to use pairs of 10 chips boards and connect them to a Klondike controller.

this is a full module with 80 chips
Activity: 403
December 31, 2013, 11:40:32 AM
Hola brethren and Ladies,

A buddy of mine received his series 2, 55nm Avalon unit and noticed that no matter what he tried under no circumstances could the "Great Wall of China" PSU that shipped with the unit reach 200Ghash stably ( in a room cooled to 20F by ambient air .... it's winter).  I mentioned to him that LOTS of folks regularly upgrade the PSU to an OCZ1250 and that even though these are REALLY hard to find these days due to OCZ's bankruptcy any 1250watt to 1300watt PSU from a reputable supplier should do the trick.  I've had GREAT luck powering cubes with Rosewill 1300w units so I recommended he get himself one of those I can get 4 cubes on a single 1300w at high clock).  He did just that and it arrived yesterday.  We dutifully removed the top cover and disconnected the GreatWall PSU and plugged in the Rosewill.  However, when we tried to power up the Rosewill nothing happened.  My buddy unplugged the ATX plug and shorted the green wire to the black wire and everything sprang to life.  We were then able to access the web interface BUT cgminer was not hashing AT ALL.  This is when the real fun began.  We started to smell that all too uncomfortable “burnt chip” smell.  We unplugged everything VERY QUICKLY and took a coffee break to let things rest.  When we came back we reattached the GreatWall PSU to see if everything would power up again.  Again, here comes that burnt chip smell AND when I touched the Avalon controller board it was HELLA Hot.  In particular the voltage regulator on the controller board has WAY TOO HOT tom comfortably touch.  My experience in electronics tells me that means bad things are happening so … here are my questions ->

1)    Is there any reason plugging upgraded PSU into the Avalon PDU board would kill the controller board
2)   Is it possible that Avalon controller board is fried-N-dead?

Many thanks for your reply.

H@shKraker
December 31, 2013, 10:38:23 AM
Yes,
December 31, 2013, 07:06:27 AM
Back this summer when I bought my 4th module for my Avy B1 I noticed that there was a lot of silicon on one of the boards, it looks like someones fingers were covered in silicon paste and got it all over the chips. Could this stop the board from operating?

Yifu said it wouldn't affect the board...

Thanks,

I think they used non conductive thermal paste so I don't think that would be the problem.
Do you have an entire module that is not working or just one of the 10 chip PCB's not working?

I believe it's just one of the 10 chips, when I look at my logs it says miner 29 = 0 all the rest show as working.
Activity: 462
December 31, 2013, 05:55:18 AM
December 31, 2013, 01:14:16 AM
Back this summer when I bought my 4th module for my Avy B1 I noticed that there was a lot of silicon on one of the boards, it looks like someones fingers were covered in silicon paste and got it all over the chips. Could this stop the board from operating?

Thanks,

I think they used non conductive thermal paste so I don't think that would be the problem.
Do you have an entire module that is not working or just one of the 10 chip PCB's not working?
December 31, 2013, 12:51:34 AM

Thanks,
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
December 30, 2013, 05:04:44 PM
It's the end of the year, and people may want to buy or sell their Avalons now.  I have posted a blockchain flea-market thread.  You can offer an avalon for sale, or make a bid on an avalon.

The question is what is a good price to get on Avalon 4 module rigs? Is 20$ GH/s too low?

Yes, that is a good question.  We all would like to have an answer.  This number depends on why you mine, what your heat, internet, security, and electricity cost, and whether you are paying interest on credit card or other debt.

To estimate this number, I used this calculator to estimate the total BTC earnings at my electric rate.

Code:
0.4576 (total BTC during mining lifetime) / 27.333 (GH/s) * 735 $/BTC  ---> $12.30 / GH/s  (based on btc-e, overclocked to about 360 MHz, approximate historical data from eligius)

Offer it at my auction for 3 module units.  I will pay 1/4 of the successful amount for your 4th module.  My destination zip is 56267, to discuss shipping of the 4th module.
Is this a batch #1 or #2; or a batch #3 style module?  I am interested in any of them.

I have the following, batch1, batch2, and mini. Smiley But I would like to get rid of the batch1 first, it has 4 modules and an ax860i PSU.

Someone locally offered my $20 GH/s or $2200 for the rig, I am not sure if it's worth selling it for that price or if I should try to get more for it?

That is BTC 2.99 at the current exchange rate.  The calculator I quoted gives BTC 1.72882 before the electricity costs more than the mining proceeds.  My thoughts are that it is a good offer and it exists now.  Perhaps your Batch #2 would be a candidate for my auction.

December 30, 2013, 04:31:07 PM
It's the end of the year, and people may want to buy or sell their Avalons now.  I have posted a blockchain flea-market thread.  You can offer an avalon for sale, or make a bid on an avalon.

The question is what is a good price to get on Avalon 4 module rigs? Is 20$ GH/s too low?

Yes, that is a good question.  We all would like to have an answer.  This number depends on why you mine, what your heat, internet, security, and electricity cost, and whether you are paying interest on credit card or other debt.

To estimate this number, I used this calculator to estimate the total BTC earnings at my electric rate.

Code:
0.4576 (total BTC during mining lifetime) / 27.333 (GH/s) * 735 $/BTC  ---> $12.30 / GH/s  (based on btc-e, overclocked to about 360 MHz, approximate historical data from eligius)

Offer it at my auction for 3 module units.  I will pay 1/4 of the successful amount for your 4th module.  My destination zip is 56267, to discuss shipping of the 4th module.
Is this a batch #1 or #2; or a batch #3 style module?  I am interested in any of them.

I have the following, batch1, batch2, and mini. Smiley But I would like to get rid of the batch1 first, it has 4 modules and an ax860i PSU.

Someone locally offered my $20 GH/s or $2200 for the rig, I am not sure if it's worth selling it for that price or if I should try to get more for it?
legendary
December 30, 2013, 04:26:21 PM

Code:

December 30, 2013, 03:53:05 PM

legendary
December 30, 2013, 03:37:11 PM

December 29, 2013, 09:45:50 PM
Avy question,

looking at my B1's log I noticed that one of the boards isn't working, so I don't know really if it worked from the start or it something failed on it, I haven't taken it part but I have sniffed the back end to see if anything smells burnt and it doesn't.

The one that is failed is; [match_work_count29] => 0; which would be on my 4th module; the one I bought from Avalon-Asic a few months ago. I would like to know with the module facing you (components facing you) which side do I start counting from to find board #29 if I don't see anything burnt?

Thanks,
December 29, 2013, 06:53:56 PM
Hi all

I've posted the first firmware officially designed for avalon series 2 (55nm), but with compatibility for series 1 devices.

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/20131229/

This is based on an updated cgminer 3.9.0 and has been running flawlessly on the series 2 device I've received. This firmware should work fine on 110nm technology devices too, however the configuration syntax has changed so you may find that you'll need to do a reset configuration after flashing it. For older devices there may be slight improvements in stability and better support for mining to a stratum proxy.

I just updated to to this firmware blowing away my batch 2 settings and once I go it up and running I noticed the applying changes just spins and spins it doesn't update like in the previous firmware. I have to close my browser and re-open it to see the changes have been made.

The 2nd issue is, I accidently gave me Avy2 the same IP of my Avy1, so I unplugged the Avy from the LAN and connected to the Avy2, when I changed the IP (the updating settings kept spining) and closed my browser and reconnected to the Avy2 on the new IP the update settings process has wiped out all my previous settings including my pools, etc! SIGH

I wonder did you even test your own firmware before releasing it?  

Thanks,

Pretty clear in my post. Also clear that you may have to reset all your settings, no?

Resetting ALL the settings means back to the original static IP needing an ethernet connection.

Just updated my batch 1 Avy, resetting all settings and reconfigured it. After reconfiguration minus the "--avalon-fan 65" from the extra command field the firmware was leaving the fans running at 720RPM while hashing at 340Mhz, before my Avy melted down I added the "--avalon-fan 65" command back. Phew! Smiley
December 29, 2013, 06:34:36 PM
Hi all

I've posted the first firmware officially designed for avalon series 2 (55nm), but with compatibility for series 1 devices.

This is based on an updated cgminer 3.9.0 and has been running flawlessly on the series 2 device I've received. This firmware should work fine on 110nm technology devices too, however the configuration syntax has changed so you may find that you'll need to do a reset configuration after flashing it. For older devices there may be slight improvements in stability and better support for mining to a stratum proxy.

I just updated to to this firmware blowing away my batch 2 settings and once I go it up and running I noticed the applying changes just spins and spins it doesn't update like in the previous firmware. I have to close my browser and re-open it to see the changes have been made.

The 2nd issue is, I accidently gave me Avy2 the same IP of my Avy1, so I unplugged the Avy from the LAN and connected to the Avy2, when I changed the IP (the updating settings kept spining) and closed my browser and reconnected to the Avy2 on the new IP the update settings process has wiped out all my previous settings including my pools, etc! SIGH

Thanks,

Pretty clear in my post. Also clear that you may have to reset all your settings, no?

Resetting ALL the settings means back to the original static IP needing an ethernet connection.

Really I did not know that!! LOL

Of course I blew away my settings, that's what I normally do when update firmwares on my Avy's. So yes silly me forgot to mention that I blew away my settings.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
December 29, 2013, 06:27:38 PM
Hi all

Thanks,

Pages:
Jump to: