Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 35. (Read 438516 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 501
January 04, 2014, 06:18:31 PM
Boo hoo one of my subs on my new module is fried. There is nothing burnt to tell me what died, and even after cleaning the board with moonshine it still shows a bit fat ZERO in the logs. All I can do now is wait and hope that Yifu lowers the price on the modules for the Avy B1, or if he's reading this offer me some kind of deal or trade, as I would hate to sell me B1 for less because one of the subs is dead, when the time comes to sell it. Sad

PS. I didn't use moonshine, I used 99% of that alcohol that was recommend.

January 04, 2014, 06:15:05 PM
smoothrunnings,

That's just it, I already applied the new firmware WITH the magic checkbox checked and now it's hung.  Soooooo ..... do I power cycle it to bring it back to life?

H@shKraker

Can you ping the IP? IS there anything else on your network with the same IP address as the miner? If you haven given it more more than 10 minutes and you still get nothing then yes I would power cycle. Also if you look on the back were the RJ45 connection is, to the right is a pin hole, that's where the reset the Avy to factory defaults. You will have to at the wiki to see if Yifu mentions how long you should hold the reset button for, not sure if its instant reset or x number of seconds.
January 04, 2014, 06:11:07 PM
Just got a used 60gh Avalon. I hooked it directly to my computer and configured exactly as my 120G model. When I connect to my network its not visible. I cant even ping it.also I tried wireless and it doesn't scan any networks. Everything seems fine when Its directly connected. Any ideas? Is it possibly conflicting with the other?
Thanks

Did you check to see if it's on the same IP address either of your 120GH Avy which you just said you configured it the same way as. You can only have 1 IP address in your network, no two devices can share an IP address.

Or is it still using 192.168.0.100 (defualt IP)?

the one that is working is 192.168.1.100 the non connecting is 192.168.2.100 thanks for the reply

For starters you have two different subnets, unless you have an L3 switch on your network which you have setup the ACL to forward traffic both ways from both subnets you aren't going to be able to access one them, the one that isn't on the same subnet your computer and other miner is.

Look on the back of your 192.168.2.100 and see if there is a pin hole to the right of the RJ45 jack, press it, this will reset your Avay back to factor defaults (as if it was brand new), this way you can connect to it from your windows machine; the new IP of the avy will be 192.168.0.100.

If you don't have multiple subnets in at where ever you have your mining gear you need to reconfigure the IP from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.1.101 (as an example) and match the same gateway and DNS as your 192.168.0.100 mining rig.

Activity: 403
Merit: 250
January 04, 2014, 06:10:13 PM
smoothrunnings,

That's just it, I already applied the new firmware WITH the magic checkbox checked and now it's hung.  Soooooo ..... do I power cycle it to bring it back to life?

H@shKraker
Activity: 351
January 04, 2014, 06:05:08 PM
Just got a used 60gh Avalon. I hooked it directly to my computer and configured exactly as my 120G model. When I connect to my network its not visible. I cant even ping it.also I tried wireless and it doesn't scan any networks. Everything seems fine when Its directly connected. Any ideas? Is it possibly conflicting with the other?
Thanks

Did you check to see if it's on the same IP address either of your 120GH Avy which you just said you configured it the same way as. You can only have 1 IP address in your network, no two devices can share an IP address.

the one that is working is 192.168.1.100 the non connecting is 192.168.2.100 thanks for the reply
January 04, 2014, 06:03:22 PM
smoothrunnings,

So now that my Avy has taken the "upgraded the firmware and kept the settings" dump do I simply power cycle it and connect to it on 19.168.0.10 and treat it as if it's a brand new machine?

H@shKraker

If you are using the same latest CK firmware you need to uncheck the "keep the settings", load the firmware, then proceed to flash, wait until the Avy restarts you should know what happens when it restarts by now, if not and you still have the old firmware go to System - > Restart and restart your avy and listen to it. You will hear what it does.

After your Avy has applied the firmware and restarted, connect to it as if it's a brand new machine.

January 04, 2014, 05:53:50 PM
smoothrunnings,

So now that my Avy has taken the "upgraded the firmware and kept the settings" dump do I simply power cycle it and connect to it on 19.168.0.10 and treat it as if it's a brand new machine?

H@shKraker
January 04, 2014, 05:15:28 PM
Bueller ... Bueller .... Sooooo am I gonna brick my 4 module Gen 1 Avalon if I power cycle it after firmware upgrade where I cna no longer ssh to it or get to the web interface login?  As well, is there something I can do to remedy this situation?

H@shKraker

If you are using Ck's latest firmware it is required that you do not keep your avalon's system settings. Once you accept the new firmware, wait until you hear your avy reset. Once it has rebooted and if your network is on a different subnet than the avy's default network you will need to change the IP address on your computer to 192.168.0.10 then you will be able to hit your Avy from 192.168.0.100 through the LAN interface.

After which, you need to change the password first, then log out and log back in using the new password, then change your network settings; Wifi and or LAN settings, apply the settings and then setup your pools and speed, etc. I found doing it any other way resulted in my Avy taking a dump.
January 04, 2014, 04:52:24 PM
Bueller ... Bueller .... Sooooo am I gonna brick my 4 module Gen 1 Avalon if I power cycle it after firmware upgrade where I cna no longer ssh to it or get to the web interface login?  As well, is there something I can do to remedy this situation?

H@shKraker
January 04, 2014, 04:39:35 PM
Question about the Avy controller board, on it where each of the modules plug into, the board has Data P1, P2, P3 and P4. Does this mean I need to plug each module in accordingly, ie., the first goes into P1, 2nd module into P2, etc?

Thanks
January 04, 2014, 04:02:43 PM
Thanks

Activity: 351
January 04, 2014, 03:53:42 PM
Thanks
January 04, 2014, 03:46:53 PM
All,

I attempted to upgraded my firmware about 25 minutes ago on my shiny silver, Gen1, 4 module Avalon unit.  I retrieved the firmware from https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Firmware.  I just tried to login to the web interface to see how the upgrade went and now the web interface will not display.  As well, btcguild says the worker I have assigned to that miner is idle and has not submitted work in .... oh say .... 23 minutes.  From all of this I surmise the miner is not behaving properly.  Do I need to power cycle the unit and/or if I do will I brick the unit?  Many thanks for your reply.

H@shKraker

edit:

I also cannot ssh to the miner now Undecided
January 04, 2014, 02:23:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I've received that voltage regulator that seems to have burned out on my buddy's Avalon clone when he plugged PCIE power in the EPS plug on the V1.45 Avalon controller board.  I'm gonna go pickup his miner and start the surgery.  Just in case I bork it / this doesn't work he's already ordered another controller module.  I'll take pics of the inside of the unit and it's layout and of my work and post them for your perusal.

H@shKraker
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
January 04, 2014, 01:12:46 PM
The 2 identical parts near the burn are capacitors.

Yes the 4 tan colored parts, you can find drawings here https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref

I've seen shots of those caps and the 680uf black caps fail.

Also be careful not to bump the larger round silver caps like C5. They dislodge from the pcb rather easily due to poor soldering.
Activity: 378
January 04, 2014, 12:43:46 PM
The 2 identical parts near the burn are capacitors.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
January 04, 2014, 12:24:53 PM
If you are unable to get that damaged module working again I would be interested to buy it from you.

I will let you know. Doesn't seem to be any other damage than those 2 chip banks so will likely be functional. Rest of the unit working without the entire module for now.

That's a capacitor, others have had the same failure.

You can mine without that module or you can just disconnect power to the affected miner by cutting or bending the pins on the hash panel board that plugs in from the top.

The psu should be fine, most have over-current protection now.
The square thing is a capacitor?
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
January 04, 2014, 11:45:42 AM
That did the trick!

Once again I am ever grateful!

Hi All,

This is a screen grab from my 4 module. Is the miner count correct at 24?
http://i.imgur.com/Ksu3OnQ.png

Thanks!
Should be 32.
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
January 04, 2014, 11:39:55 AM
Hello all.

One of my units stopped so I restarted it a few times. Fans would spin for a few rpm and then stop. Red power LED and intermittent yellow one. I was able to connect via internet as normal, but showed 0 work being done.

Looked inside, PSU cables looked potentially a bit loose so reseated. Turned the unit back on and a plume of sparks shot out from a corner of one of the modules. Looks like a resistor had melted:

Questions:
1) Is it safe to test the Avalon without this module?
2) Is it safe to test this damaged module without the last 2 chip units in?
3) Does that last 2 chip unit have any value to anyone?

Cheers guys. Avalon is sleeping for now.

That's a capacitor, others have had the same failure.

You can mine without that module or you can just disconnect power to the affected miner by cutting or bending the pins on the hash panel board that plugs in from the top.

The psu should be fine, most have over-current protection now.
Activity: 378
January 04, 2014, 11:18:45 AM
If you are unable to get that damaged module working again I would be interested to buy it from you.
Pages:
Jump to: