Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 37. (Read 438516 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002
January 01, 2014, 04:28:20 PM
Fasmax,

That's about what I was guessing.  ProfMac, now that I have an additional person saying it's a 3.3v LDO I feel fine replacing the part and seeing if it gets me down the road.  Heck, the worst thing that could happen is .... nothing.  I'll take pics of my adventure when the part arrives from mouser so you can see my AWESOME solder work (Meh ....)

H@shKrker

Thanks.  I was about to eat, then shovel snow, then get the multimeter from the car, then see if we have the same controller board.  This way is easier.
Activity: 403
Merit: 250
January 01, 2014, 04:25:57 PM
Fasmax,

That's about what I was guessing.  ProfMac, now that I have an additional person saying it's a 3.3v LDO I feel fine replacing the part and seeing if it gets me down the road.  Heck, the worst thing that could happen is .... nothing.  I'll take pics of my adventure when the part arrives from mouser so you can see my AWESOME solder work (Meh ....)

H@shKrker
Activity: 378
January 01, 2014, 04:14:58 PM
From the looks of the part number you listed it looks likely to be a 3.3 volt regulator.
Checking the schematic of the controller U2 is a 3.3 volt regulator.
You should measure about 3.3 volt between ground and the regulator output.
legendary
January 01, 2014, 04:08:10 PM
As a side note I *THINK* I've found the part I seek.  Even so ProfMac if you could get me a multi-meter reading on that output voltage for that part It'd be GREAT.  I *BELIEVE* it's mouser.com part# 701-SPX3940T-L-3-3  and I *THINK* the part is a 1.5A Low Dropout Positive Regulators, 3-pin package TO-263.  Time to lean into this pitch and order said part.  YIPPIEE  Shocked

H@shKraker

I do have a multi-meter.  I have the batch #2 Avalon.  I don't know what hardware version for the controller board, I'll have to shut down a miner and open it up to see.

Can you post a photo of your board, and indicate which part, or especially where a test point is that you'd like me to measure?

January 01, 2014, 04:00:09 PM
As a side note I *THINK* I've found the part I seek.  Even so ProfMac if you could get me a multi-meter reading on that output voltage for that part It'd be GREAT.  I *BELIEVE* it's mouser.com part# 701-SPX3940T-L-3-3  and I *THINK* the part is a 1.5A Low Dropout Positive Regulators, 3-pin package TO-263.  Time to lean into this pitch and order said part.  YIPPIEE  Shocked

H@shKraker
January 01, 2014, 03:25:03 PM
ProfMac,

You strike me as a person who's reasonably comfortable with a multi-meter.  If so could you use said multi-meter to find out how many volts are coming off of that voltage regulator on that Avalon Controller board?  That would REALLY make my job easier.

H@shKraker
January 01, 2014, 03:19:12 PM
We like to learn without risk.

Yea ... wish I could be saying the same thing  Undecided .... BUT NOOOOOO  I had to be the person who tells a buddy to upgrade a PSU and NOT be there when he did it  Embarrassed

H@shKraker
legendary
January 01, 2014, 02:52:55 PM
Hey .... I got me another thought.  Since the part on the controller board that is getting HELLA hot is what appears to be a voltage regulator how about I just do a little reflow work and replace that part for my buddy?  As I see it that controller board isn't working now and the very worst thing that can happen is it still won't work.  What you folks think?

H@shKraker

Please try it and report back.  We like to learn without risk.  If you document it with lots of photographs, you may establish for yourself an Avalon reflow work business.

January 01, 2014, 02:23:36 PM
Hey .... I got me another thought.  Since the part on the controller board that is getting HELLA hot is what appears to be a voltage regulator how about I just do a little reflow work and replace that part for my buddy?  As I see it that controller board isn't working now and the very worst thing that can happen is it still won't work.  What you folks think?

H@shKraker
December 31, 2013, 05:43:05 PM
All,

Ok, now that we've determined my buddy fried his controller (due to the magic smoke release) does anyone have a Avalon Controller board V1.5 they'd like to sell me (since it was me who recommended my buddy upgrade his PSU)?  Please note, to participate in said transaction via BTC you must be a full member with lots of recent posts, have a non-negative trust rating *AND* you must be verified as trustworthy by my buddy Uncle Scrooge OR by Zipiju OR by QualitySeeds.  If these standards are not met we'll do the transaction via PayPal so both sides are protected.  Please note that even though escrow happens regularly, for a transaction this small It'd just be a real PIMA so we won't go that route.

H@shKraker
legendary
December 31, 2013, 05:35:39 PM
if someone want a defective module i can sell one.
If your located in the USA I would offer .2 BTC for the broken module.

i m in eu but i can ship to usa
I worry about international shipping costs.
Edit Sorry for thread spam. PM sent.

Friedcat sent a module in a plywood box from Beijing to Minnesota for, I think, 180 Yuan.  The number 180 is handwritten on the mostly Chinese language EMS form in a box named "charge."
December 31, 2013, 05:19:51 PM

I worry about international shipping costs.
Edit Sorry for thread spam. PM sent.

Activity: 462
December 31, 2013, 04:29:55 PM

December 31, 2013, 04:27:27 PM
December 31, 2013, 02:57:51 PM
Candoo,

Yea ... I kinda think by offering up my assistance I borked myself .... and got an opportunity to buy my buddy a brand new Avalon-esque controller board.  YIPPIE  Undecided

H@shKraker
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Vertrau in Gott
December 31, 2013, 02:05:58 PM
Candoo,

Ahhhh .... now we're getting somewhere.  My buddy said he populated every plug where a PCIE connector would fit.  I asked if he did that in the EPS-12 slots and he said yes.  I told him to IMMEDIATELY unplug that connector.  Do you think he fried his controller?

H@shKraker

Yes and this is also the reason why it wouldn turn on. But you killed if after turning on the psu by hand
December 31, 2013, 01:47:29 PM
Smoothrunnings,

If the unit doesn't power on with the PSU and it's burnt inside likely you have likely toasted one of the controller boards it.

Yup ... that's what I was afraid he did.  He didn't pay near 5K for it (as he paid in BTC) BUT for his first Avalon-esque experience he's giving me the hairy eyeball for recommend the technology.  When  I went by his place last night I didn't see any burnt marks inside the box BUT since he connected that PCIE connector to that EPS12 slot my bet is he fried the controller board voltage regulator (since that's the part that's getting HELLA hot).  So I'll tell him to order a new controller board from the folks that sold it to him and call it a day.  Many thanks for your help.

H@shKraker
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
December 31, 2013, 01:27:51 PM
Smoothrunnings,

What I am talking about is that after new PSU plugin, it no worky.  The Series2, 55nm units are shipping and they have 2 blades in them.  You can see what they look like by taking  a look around Ebay.  The problem was that the GreatWall PSU is a POS and, as you might expect, could not supply enough wattage to hit the 200 – 220 Ghash mark without the machine continually restarting (I’e not enough electrons to do the job at hand).  This, in turn, predicated the PSU replacement and VIOLA, burnt silicon smell (ie.. the magic smoke might have been released ...... I hope note).  I've verified that both PSUs are operationally fine by bridging the green wire to a black ground wire and BOTH PSUs kicked on just fine.  Thus, not a PSU problem.  I’m trying to diagnose, and better yet learn from those who came before me, if that burnt silicone smell is as bad as I imagine it and *IF* I need to order myself a shiny new controller board.  So, what you think?

H@shKraker

Avalon doesn't make them. It's some 3rd party manufacture that is making them and saying they use the Avalon chipset. You have to understand that the Chinese like to compare other products to the original one. At this point in time Avalon-asic.com doesn't make a version 2 Avalon with the 55nm chips, so what your friend bought was a knock off with the 55nm chips. I looked on ebay, nothing says "made by Avalon-Asic" in the auctions. They do say they use the 2nd gen Avalon chips. I hope your friend didn't pay $5,000 for a 150 ~ 200GH/s machine, Neptune machines which are on pre-order are selling for $10k and promise a minimum of 3TH/s. Smiley (the chips will supposedly be 20nm ones too.) 

If the unit doesn't power on with the PSU and it's burnt inside likely you have likely toasted one of the controller boards it.

December 31, 2013, 01:18:45 PM
Candoo,

Ahhhh .... now we're getting somewhere.  My buddy said he populated every plug where a PCIE connector would fit.  I asked if he did that in the EPS-12 slots and he said yes.  I told him to IMMEDIATELY unplug that connector.  Do you think he fried his controller?

H@shKraker
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Vertrau in Gott
December 31, 2013, 01:14:14 PM
Smoothrunnings,

What I am talking about is that after new PSU plugin, it no worky.  The Series2, 55nm units are shipping and they have 2 blades in them.  You can see what they look like by taking  a look around Ebay.  The problem was that the GreatWall PSU is a POS and, as you might expect, could not supply enough wattage to hit the 200 – 220 Ghash mark without the machine continually restarting (I’e not enough electrons to do the job at hand).  This, in turn, predicated the PSU replacement and VIOLA, burnt silicon smell (ie.. the magic smoke might have been released ...... I hope note).  I've verified that both PSUs are operationally fine by bridging the green wire to a black ground wire and BOTH PSUs kicked on just fine.  Thus, not a PSU problem.  I’m trying to diagnose, and better yet learn from those who came before me, if that burnt silicone smell is as bad as I imagine it and *IF* I need to order myself a shiny new controller board.  So, what you think?

H@shKraker

The Avalon Power Board is different connectors. Some of them are for pcie and some for EPS12. You probably took a EPS12 in a pcie slot or vice versa. That would explain the burn smell and both connectors look like the same.

BTC the unit you bought is not made by avalon. Someone bought their chips and made some  fake avalons. They are not built by avalon
Pages:
Jump to: