Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL 5 GH/s Miner Demo - page 2. (Read 10013 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 255
April 19, 2013, 11:53:11 PM
I believe the irate anti-bfl crowd is noting that they originally cited that the 5Gh model was going to be USB powered... which this demo clearly demonstrates it requires externally supplied power.  Frankly it is pretty obvious that the "new jalapeño" is just the original design for the Single, but with 1 ASIC chip rather than the usual 5.

That being said... I think most miners don't give a rats behind how much power their asic miner uses (within reason) as long as it gets the hash rate what they want.

The interesting thing to me is... assuming they ship all the orders for all the models... they aren't brining in new money with those shipments... those pre orders were paid a long time ago.  Assuming they have a crappy CFO (given), it seems like they probably really need new orders to keep a revenue stream.  I wonder if they raised prices because they were really having issues with their revenue stream.   I wonder if that strategy is working.
Activity: 148
Merit: 102
April 19, 2013, 11:46:22 PM
My FPGA Singles have no labels or markings whatsoever on their exterior.  I guess they aren't certified.

Which is why I'm thinking these possibly won't need it either. They use an external power supply which should already have the UL certification and FCC might be excluded as "commercial test equipment" (that may be a stretch). It seems hardly worth bothering to go for the certifications unless the FCC comes after them. I doubt it will even hit their radar.

EDIT: Of course, Phinnaeus Gage pointed out that Josh said something about getting it. I don't know if that means they need it BEFORE they ship, or if after is OK.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
April 19, 2013, 11:39:43 PM
Seriously, I could care less exactly how many watts this thing uses - as long as it doesn't catch fire or melt itself as far as I'm concerned it is good to go! Get in production and ship me mine! Wasting a few more KW/H per month matters much less than the ramp up of difficulty that is going on now.

Typical noob. Don't care about power consumption just ship me my BFL magic box with lephrechauns gold and rainbows.

They missed their power mark by a huge factor and that doesn't phase you? Shit then they may as well have shipped gpu based mining equipment to satisfy your insatiable need to be fucked. Lol

What was the power mark for the demonstrated 5GHs unit that it missed by a "huge factor"?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
April 19, 2013, 11:19:51 PM
Seriously, I could care less exactly how many watts this thing uses - as long as it doesn't catch fire or melt itself as far as I'm concerned it is good to go! Get in production and ship me mine! Wasting a few more KW/H per month matters much less than the ramp up of difficulty that is going on now.

Typical noob. Don't care about power consumption just ship me my BFL magic box with lephrechauns gold and rainbows.

They missed their power mark by a huge factor and that doesn't phase you? Shit then they may as well have shipped gpu based mining equipment to satisfy your insatiable need to be fucked. Lol
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
April 19, 2013, 11:15:01 PM
While I find the video to be nice progress, I also received an email today regarding (finally) upgrading shipping order options.

The consistent thing I've been told was that when this would happen and be allowed to be changed was when shipping would be soon underway. 

Hopefully not too much longer now.  I'd imagine they just need to have the higher power spec boards mass-produced, then assembly and ship-out.

That e-mail is just part of the scam.  Just another income stream for them that they have no intention of ever delivering on.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
April 19, 2013, 11:13:08 PM

Clearly then, any FPGA miner that they shipped was in violation of US law if it didn't at least have an FCC tag in place. Any unit sent to a municipality in the US that requires a UL lag clearly puts them and the customer who received it in violation of the law.

Ergo, Sonny Vleisides is clearly breaking the law, coupled with having some of his clients break it as well, depending on which municipality they live in. Circumnavigating CE regulations is a completely different matter altogether.

The FCC requirement is a concern of BFL, otherwise they wouldn't have posted that they were in the process of obtaining approval.

What about the other mining devices? Do they have any of those certifications?

BTW I'm not being a troll. I seriously don't know the answer.

My FPGA Singles have no labels or markings whatsoever on their exterior.  I guess they aren't certified.
April 19, 2013, 10:42:57 PM
Unfortunately, I have no insight as to what Avalon may, or may not, be required to do to ship such wares to the US. But, BFL being Inc. in the US is a completely different issue, thus a host of regulations they must comply to, the FCC one being the main one.

But that doesn't make any sense. Why does my TV from China have to have that and UL? There has to be something more to it.

This link is actually rather interesting: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/398

"What can I do to avoid expensive testing and still remain in compliance with the laws?"
"A digital device used exclusively as industrial, commercial, or medical test equipment."
April 19, 2013, 10:37:31 PM
Unfortunately, I have no insight as to what Avalon may, or may not, be required to do to ship such wares to the US. But, BFL being Inc. in the US is a completely different issue, thus a host of regulations they must comply to, the FCC one being the main one.

But that doesn't make any sense. Why does my TV from China have to have that and UL? There has to be something more to it.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
April 19, 2013, 10:18:39 PM
I would doubt Avalon's are UL certified... but I think they enter the country as engineering samples... soooo  /shrug

Activity: 490
Merit: 255
April 19, 2013, 10:12:35 PM
I would doubt Avalon's are UL certified... but I think they enter the country as engineering samples... soooo  /shrug
April 19, 2013, 10:01:58 PM

Clearly then, any FPGA miner that they shipped was in violation of US law if it didn't at least have an FCC tag in place. Any unit sent to a municipality in the US that requires a UL lag clearly puts them and the customer who received it in violation of the law.

Ergo, Sonny Vleisides is clearly breaking the law, coupled with having some of his clients break it as well, depending on which municipality they live in. Circumnavigating CE regulations is a completely different matter altogether.

The FCC requirement is a concern of BFL, otherwise they wouldn't have posted that they were in the process of obtaining approval.

What about the other mining devices? Do they have any of those certifications?

BTW I'm not being a troll. I seriously don't know the answer.
legendary
April 19, 2013, 09:59:24 PM

This is excellent news! Now they have something to ship to the various labs to obtain CE, UL and FCC approval for, unless Sonny has an in with them folks in not having to abide by governmental regulations, thus avoiding the myriad of fines.

You keep posting this without answering why they need that when the BFL FPGA did not? There are no CE, UL, or FCC tags anywhere on it, yet they shipped plenty of them. As far as I can tell, if it doesn't directly deal with AC, and doesn't directly deal with network, it shouldn't need any of that.

Does any custom miner out there now have any of those?

April 19, 2013, 09:34:43 PM

This is excellent news! Now they have something to ship to the various labs to obtain CE, UL and FCC approval for, unless Sonny has an in with them folks in not having to abide by governmental regulations, thus avoiding the myriad of fines.

You keep posting this without answering why they need that when the BFL FPGA did not? There are no CE, UL, or FCC tags anywhere on it, yet they shipped plenty of them. As far as I can tell, if it doesn't directly deal with AC, and doesn't directly deal with network, it shouldn't need any of that.

Does any custom miner out there now have any of those?
legendary
Activity: 1190
April 19, 2013, 09:28:58 PM
Activity: 533
Merit: 500
April 19, 2013, 09:24:10 PM
While I find the video to be nice progress, I also received an email today regarding (finally) upgrading shipping order options.

The consistent thing I've been told was that when this would happen and be allowed to be changed was when shipping would be soon underway. 

Hopefully not too much longer now.  I'd imagine they just need to have the higher power spec boards mass-produced, then assembly and ship-out.
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
April 19, 2013, 09:15:40 PM
legendary
Activity: 1190
April 19, 2013, 08:42:22 PM
/snip
Prototyping serves to provide specifications for a real, working system rather than a theoretical one."

I would say the video shows a working prototype in every sense of the definition if we are going by what normal people think is a prototype.  Stop spreading FUD. 

There are a lot of things that BFL has done wrong but some of your guys go so overboard it borders on insanity.  Do the community a favor and SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Let us assume the video was not a total sham like other PR from BFL (pictures, ship dates, specifications, etc).

If the video showed a working prototype, they would manufacture to those specifications. They would certainly not say "when we get the new board our power problems should be fixed". The video purported to show a prototype that still needs more work. This is the admission of the BFL representative speaking in the video. They are still in the prototyping phase. They have been in this phase for 10 months. Until they actually manufacture product and ship it they will still be in the prototyping phase. Anyone can SHA-256 once, the challenge is doing it fast, cheaply, for long periods, in volume, and for a low price. They have not demonstrated a prototype of a product that can do this yet. When they show a video and say "ok, this is it, we don't have to make any more changes and our partners are doing a large volume chip run followed by a large volume PCB run" I will change my sig. Gladly as a matter of fact. This farce has gone on for far too long.

Now that previous paragraph involves almost no skepticism on my part. If I was being skeptical, I would ask for actual proof of mining. Not just numbers scrolling on a screen which could easily be spoofed. I would want to see the unit mining (with proof) for more than 20 seconds at a time. Running it in short bursts does nothing to reassure me that it can run for any length of time. I don't know how they would accomplish this other than to let an expert neutral observer with credibility (e.g. not Luke-jr logging in remotely) actually take physical possession of a unit, take it home and run it through the paces. BFL has so thoroughly poisoned their public relations well, they may only be able to prove this by actually shipping several hundred orders and have them operate successfully for 6 months or so in the marketplace.

Oh, and it would be nice if low post count sockpuppets didn't show up and tout BFL quite so often.
legendary
April 19, 2013, 08:13:57 PM
When is the Jalapeno getting FCC approval?

Maybe two weeks? We are waiting for the test lab to issue the test report.

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

That quote from Inaba makes me sick to my stomach... BFL are such lying scumbags.

And that quote there is the difference between incompetence and "being late" and criminal fraud.   This is going to be terrible.   When you knowingly lie and that lie causes people harm (which it has since they have lost money), it is fraud.   I would say this is pretty provable in court that Josh HAD submitted these devices for FCC approval since the device was only completed 5 months after he made this lie.

And any judge would agree with your assessment unless, of course, Judge Coin Jedi is presiding, then all bets are off.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 19, 2013, 08:13:08 PM
upon further research, altera is probably categorized as computer board which seems to be exempt. I'd say the completed unit does legally need fcc compliance, although its less stringent for a "unintended emitter".
legendary
April 19, 2013, 08:11:58 PM
When is the Jalapeno getting FCC approval?

Maybe two weeks? We are waiting for the test lab to issue the test report.

With the bump in power requirements on the MR and the new screen, we had to make changes, although the new screen is already certified.  We are doing all the devices at once, since they all share the same board.

That quote from Inaba makes me sick to my stomach... BFL are such lying scumbags.

And even if his statement is true, which is 99.995 unlikely, once the new boards come in, they would all need to be tested again by the FCC according to their website, therefore adding a possible two more weeks to their scheduled delivery date, whenever that is.

The same true for CE approval and UL, of which is a given since the power has been greatly altered from the first design, e.g. the adding/deleting of components.
Pages:
Jump to: