Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL 5 GH/s Miner Demo - page 4. (Read 10013 times)

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
April 19, 2013, 05:24:47 PM
5.3 GH/s @ $149 = $28/ghps

It actually costs $274.

They are comparing the historic prices of BFL and Avalon. If you're going to use the current price for the BFL unit then you must do the same for the Avalon, which is more than $10000 at current prices.

BFL has no prices for products. One must first have a product before it can be assigned a price.
So far, BFL is selling zero-coupon convertible debt with no maturity date.
At some point in the future, the debt might be convertible into a black box assembled by amateurs that might mine bitcoins for some indeterminate period of time.

And why should ANYONE listen to a nutjob like you that states in their signature that BFL has no working prototype in a thread that has a VIDEO OF A WORKING PROTOTYPE??

Is there proof that they have? ..... Do you have one?
Do you trust luke-jr or them?

I wouldn't since everything could be staged!

just look on btl facebook page, they tested yesterday 5 gh's, it really has the power supply problem but looks workin well. and yes, its a proof enought for me, if u wanna sell your pre-order (only 5 gh's) i'll be happy in buying it

Working well you say? For how long?
What exactly did you see? You saw something print out that something was hashing for 20 seconds or so. This is evidence that they are still working on producing a prototype, but it is certainly not proof. Let us not forget that evidence can be falsified (and has in the past by BFL).

At this point, I don't think there is any way BFL can release proof of anything without shipping product to trusted third parties for evaluation.
I don't mean letting Luke-Jr logging in via SSH. I mean letting Tomshardware examine it.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
April 19, 2013, 05:18:27 PM

It actually costs $274.

They are comparing the historic prices of BFL and Avalon. If you're going to use the current price for the BFL unit then you must do the same for the Avalon, which is more than $10000 at current prices.

BFL has no prices for products. One must first have a product before it can be assigned a price.
At some point in the future, the debt might be convertible into a black box assembled by amateurs that might mine bitcoins for some indeterminate period of time.

And why should ANYONE listen to a nutjob like you that states in their signature that BFL has no working prototype in a thread that has a VIDEO OF A WORKING PROTOTYPE??

just look on btl facebook page, they tested yesterday 5 gh's, it really has the power supply problem but looks workin well. and yes, its a proof enought for me, if u wanna sell your pre-order (only 5 gh's) i'll be happy in buying it

in red!

THEY've shown you one unit and all of the info around here goes *poof*!.....Happy ordering then;P

BTW... i don't have a stake in this!
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
April 19, 2013, 05:10:30 PM

It actually costs $274.

legendary
April 19, 2013, 05:09:31 PM

It actually costs $274.

Your definition of evidence and mine differ substantially. If their prototype was working, they would announce they were moving directly to production and the discussion would move to yields and assembly times. They have admitted that they *still* cannot convert the prototype (assuming the video was not just smoke and mirrors and we were witnessing a semi-functional piece of hardware) into a product. They admitted that additional work on the boards is still being done. After that work has been attempted, they will test again and see if things are working well enough to turn it into a product.

Finally, one must take any press release from BFL with a grain of salt. They have been caught repeatedly posting photos with claims that were easily disproved by careful examination of the photo. Let us apply some devil's advocation to the video given BFL's track record of playing fast and loose with the truth:

Even if they got the prototype to mine for 20 seconds in a video, does it hard crash after 15 minutes?
Does it actually mine? We saw numbers printed on the screen which resemble the output of cgminer but could be spoofed with 5 minutes of effort.
Can it run at 98+% utilization 24 hours a day 7 days a week without crashing?
Will the board or chip burn out in catastrophic fashion necessitating an RMA after a few weeks of use?
Can they actually make the chip & board and sell it profitably? Or do they need order volume in the hundreds of thousands before they can make enough margin?

There is something that is preventing them from shipping product and being rich. Meeting the requirements of vaporware marketing FUD issued 7 months ago is not what is holding them up. There is a show stopper.

April 19, 2013, 05:05:11 PM

It actually costs $274.

aTg
legendary
Activity: 1358
April 19, 2013, 04:55:31 PM
Beautiful concept:

Cheesy
April 19, 2013, 04:15:23 PM
the only btl working atm is 5 gh's
for 25, 50 and 1500... i rlly dont care, im poor ^_^
Activity: 59
April 19, 2013, 04:13:03 PM

It actually costs $274.

legendary
April 19, 2013, 03:58:21 PM

It actually costs $274.

April 19, 2013, 02:47:59 PM
I hope that the BFL history will not be forgotten..... "Singles(little/SC) and minirig under the carpet style".....
April 19, 2013, 02:43:38 PM
omg... ebay is full of scammers... just bought a 12 gh's quad core with 7970 inside, when i said seller that i was going to refund after opening machine and looking for my video board he cancelled the trade...
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 19, 2013, 02:41:42 PM
its lookin like only 5 gh's is gettin ready to ship and so im happy

That product will suit the majority of people who have been use to GPU mining, and want to go a bit faster.

I fit that boat. I paid $270 for a ~600MH/s 7950 video card. Similar priced BFL device is about 8x faster than that. I'd certainly love to buy 2-3 little 5Gh/s ASIC miners than 2-3 more video cards. Smiley

The GPUs can mine more alt chains, while the BFL product can only mine sha-256, but the most important factor is that you can order the 7950s today and have them within a week. BFL time to delivery? Not a clue...six months after their original ship date.
Activity: 434
April 19, 2013, 02:16:36 PM

That product will suit the majority of people who have been use to GPU mining, and want to go a bit faster.

I fit that boat. I paid $270 for a ~600MH/s 7950 video card. Similar priced BFL device is about 8x faster than that. I'd certainly love to buy 2-3 little 5Gh/s ASIC miners than 2-3 more video cards. Smiley
April 19, 2013, 01:37:13 PM
atm i would be happy with a 5 gh's coming tomorrow.
i dont mind about a 50 gh's or a 1500 gh's so if it have problem, better, im just waiting my 5 gh's
erk
Activity: 826
April 19, 2013, 01:35:01 PM

Activity: 490
Merit: 255
April 19, 2013, 01:11:37 PM
Yeah.... It looks like they will have a bunch to redesign with there power problems if they want to stick to there original chip density... But I wouldn't be surprised if they end up just shipping these signs with maybe half the original chips to deal with the unexpected power issues.   Surely the PCB is dirt cheap.  So what do you guys think.  Will they be able to produce a 15Gh (3 chip) or do you think they will hit the wall at 10Gh
April 19, 2013, 01:03:57 PM
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
April 19, 2013, 12:58:15 PM
Gosh... Those asicminer auction bidders are going to be kicking themselves if bfl is able to ship these 1chip singles or jalapeños or whatever they are calling these 5Mh/s things quickly and in any volume.  I think the going rate is currently $800/1Gh (~70+ btc Per blade).  They must really think BFL isn't close.  

I think using the single sc PCB and just using one chip is a pretty shrewd move.  I felt didn't think they would go there... Way to make lemonade with the lemons.
April 19, 2013, 12:53:58 PM
good news
btl just answer me on fb

Pedro Yule question: will we need a power supply for 5 gh's?
Mi piace · Rispondi · 6 ore fa

Butterfly Labs We will ship the product with a power supply.
    Mi piace · 1 · 21 minuti fa

Activity: 402
April 19, 2013, 12:41:19 PM
the big problem that came out these days is da power supply.
5 gh's is using about 36w, how much will be using a 1500 gh's?
a normal power supply wont be able to keep it workin, you'll need to set up a huge supply for that stuff

minirig product design is apparently abandoned, 3.5kw per one household switch is max.

Wrong.
16A * 230V = 3680W maybe but due to PSU efficiency, nature of A/C usual maximum suggested draw is just 80% which is 2944W
As A/C power is a since wave, drawing out 16A @ midpoint of wave is just 150V = 2400W max, PSUs try to optimize to take their power at the sine peaks, but they often miss the mark of their claims, thus D/C operators often recommend 70% of the max, which is 2576W
Pages:
Jump to: