Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL 5 GH/s Miner Demo - page 7. (Read 10013 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 19, 2013, 01:37:31 AM
Didn't the "we aren't mining on public pools" statement stem more from people accusing BFL of having the equipment ready to ship but they were using it for their personal mining instead? Of course they should do some testing/demos on actual public pools, those are the pools customers will be connecting to.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
April 19, 2013, 01:23:24 AM
He's trying to say they they lied about not mining out in public pools. But then people complained that the other video didn't show real mining.

Yeah I'd certainly prefer to see "demo" videos that are on a live public server.

I can't remember where I saw it but somebody spotted the BFL_ASIC_DEMO account live on EMC a long time ago before it was changed to private. This makes it official that it is their account. Personally I don't care that they mine for testing it makes no sense not to (especially after they are shipping). Just don’t lie about it, you get caught then look like a giant douche.

I, too, care less where they test, but it's the deceit that stuck in my craw. Same with Sonny, for I have no problem with his checkered past, and he seems like a nice guy and all, but to cover up, deny, etc., the information after the fact has been revealed made folks like me wonder what else is being hidden. Then when all the tiny missteps start adding up, we end up with bitcoiners against bitcoiners, instead of working together toward a common goal.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
April 19, 2013, 01:14:28 AM
You can't compare the wattage on a BFL with an Avalon. An Avalon is a self-contained mining device. Add in the wattage for the laptop and the BFL is less efficient than an Avalon! ROFLMAO.

You are probably wrong in a couple of asumptions. For starters you can use something smaller than a laptop, eg. a Raspberry Pi. Secondly you only need the one to talk to the 5GHs, 25GHs, or 50Ghs products, at the high end power consumption the controlling computer becomes insignificant.

That's not what the demo showed, now was it? They showed the power draw minus the computer, which is not a fair comparison to a complete Avalon.

Have you even bothered to do the math?

12 x BFL 5.3GHs = 63.6GHs
12 x BFL 32watts = 384watts

http://garzikrants.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/avalon-miner-power-usage.html

Avalon = 620 watts that leaves you over 230watts for your laptop or whatever to come out ahead in efficiency. That's assuming you were silly enough to use 12 smaller units instead of say a single 50GHs plus a 25Ghz unit.

Activity: 281
Merit: 100
April 19, 2013, 01:10:46 AM
He's trying to say they they lied about not mining out in public pools. But then people complained that the other video didn't show real mining.

Yeah I'd certainly prefer to see "demo" videos that are on a live public server.

I can't remember where I saw it but somebody spotted the BFL_ASIC_DEMO account live on EMC a long time ago before it was changed to private. This makes it official that it is their account. Personally I don't care that they mine for testing it makes no sense not to (especially after they are shipping). Just don’t lie about it, you get caught then look like a giant douche.
Activity: 697
April 19, 2013, 01:10:14 AM
You can't compare the wattage on a BFL with an Avalon. An Avalon is a self-contained mining device. Add in the wattage for the laptop and the BFL is less efficient than an Avalon! ROFLMAO.

You are probably wrong in a couple of asumptions. For starters you can use something smaller than a laptop, eg. a Raspberry Pi. Secondly you only need the one to talk to the 5GHs, 25GHs, or 50Ghs products, at the high end power consumption the controlling computer becomes insignificant.

That's not what the demo showed, now was it? They showed the power draw minus the computer, which is not a fair comparison to a complete Avalon.

Ok, add 2.5 watts and $50 for a raspberry Pi to control your BFL rigs. I enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing but this horse has been beat so savagely that it more resembles ground beef than a horse.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 19, 2013, 01:02:54 AM

erk
April 19, 2013, 12:59:22 AM

I understand you are just trolling the BFL products, I don't have a problem with that, to a certain extent they deserve it,  I am just pointing out the misinformation for actual people reading the thread that might have bought the product.

April 19, 2013, 12:52:33 AM

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
April 19, 2013, 12:51:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSu5Yyc1bEM

They have this video up also!
April 19, 2013, 12:49:25 AM
He's trying to say they they lied about not mining out in public pools. But then people complained that the other video didn't show real mining. Every BFL thread going to be a shitshow trollfest until they ship something. Rightfully so i guess.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 19, 2013, 12:47:05 AM
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
April 19, 2013, 12:42:12 AM
4/16 "There's plenty of doubt, it has nothing to do with us. It's probably someone relaying blocks through EMC I would imagine. BFL is not mining on the live network."

Somebody forgot to switch pools....

Exactly. Looks like another lie from BFL. BUSTED!!

Please explain this more to those of us sitting in the back of the short bus. Also, I don't understand the 4/16 reference.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
BitMinter
April 19, 2013, 12:37:13 AM
I like what I see. Just hope they don't take this cheap screaming fans they used for the singles.
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
April 19, 2013, 12:26:27 AM
I like how he says, "looks like about what you would expect."  

No, that doesn't look about what I would expect.  When I purchased my 4.5 GH miner it was way smaller than that, and the 30 GH and 60 GH miners were that size.

Grin Exactly my thought. -"Eh, no. It's quite different from what the Jalapeno was supposed to look like. Andthe IDLE power is higher than the expected PEAK power!" (Sleep power is suggested to be lower though...)

Oh well, still, get those devices out the door. Pronto.
Activity: 344
April 19, 2013, 12:15:50 AM
Yeah, it seems with the increased power usage comes increased heat, so now what was supposed to be a coffee warmer needs to be actively cooled with fans, and gets put in a larger case.

And did you hear the fan/s in the video?  I wonder what the larger 60 GH device will sound like.  I was really looking forward to the silence that the ASICs were supposed to bring.  Oh well.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
April 18, 2013, 11:19:06 PM
A whole lot larger than a 4.5GH/s Jalapeno - where are the Jalapenos?

PeZ
Activity: 297
April 18, 2013, 11:16:06 PM
A whole lot larger than a 4.5GH/s Jalapeno - where are the Jalapenos?
Activity: 260
April 18, 2013, 11:11:38 PM
I like how he says, "looks like about what you would expect." 

No, that doesn't look about what I would expect.  When I purchased my 4.5 GH miner it was way smaller than that, and the 30 GH and 60 GH miners were that size.
Activity: 378
April 18, 2013, 10:47:47 PM
4/16 "There's plenty of doubt, it has nothing to do with us. It's probably someone relaying blocks through EMC I would imagine. BFL is not mining on the live network."

Somebody forgot to switch pools....

Exactly. Looks like another lie from BFL. BUSTED!!
erk
April 18, 2013, 10:36:58 PM

It's a different case shape to the images on their website. A lot smaller than I imagined. I thought it would be about the size of a Mac Mini or so.

36.5 watts for 5gh/s. that's 500 watts to match a 3 module avalon, that's not 40-50% less than the competition. 2 of these to match an erupter blade would end up at 73 watts to the erupters 83.

All this wait and they've missed by that much.
That's incorrect math, the device obviously has other components in it than just the ASIC module, which it doesn't need multiples of, so you can't multiply to total power consumption by 12 (which was 32 not 36.5watts)  and say a 60Ghz version would use 384watts.

The video also said something about a revised PCB drawing less.

Pages:
Jump to: