Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL board project COINTAMINATION - EU facility - ORDERS OPENED for Chili - page 13. (Read 73031 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Lucko,

out of my own curiosity. Have you seen a difference in board performance and behavior between the 1st gen chips and the 2nd gen (shinny) chips I sent you?

And no, I don't want my boards yet please get to the source of the problem first!

Mr Teal, if you read this I hope you can finally find the source of the (design/software/component) problem.

Thx

one4many
They don't have a problem with engine 0 they need more power and act differently at low voltage... So theoretical max without overclocking is 4,5 not 4,2...
Activity: 516
Merit: 500
Lucko,

out of my own curiosity. Have you seen a difference in board performance and behavior between the 1st gen chips and the 2nd gen (shinny) chips I sent you?

And no, I don't want my boards yet please get to the source of the problem first!

Mr Teal, if you read this I hope you can finally find the source of the (design/software/component) problem.

Thx

one4many

Go ahead and make mine as well. I'm curious if you ever tried the modified firmware that limits the voltage to 1.1v, if so what were your results?

It was not on dropbox at that time so no... Link didn't work...
Also received today mines, thanks Lucko,
At this moment i try to put first one at work but resets at 27 GHs and 32 ºC. Bfgminner have restarted board many times but until now without results. Tomorrow i will install remaining boards and see what are results.

Regards
I was sure I didn't send any of thus out but it looks like I did a mistake because I'm missing one... I will send you another can you send this one back...

I probably made a mistake when randomizing boards for sending...
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
if anyone else would like me to make his boards let me know...

Go ahead and make mine please.

Thanks.

Go ahead and make mine Lucko.

Go ahead and make mine as well. I'm curious if you ever tried the modified firmware that limits the voltage to 1.1v, if so what were your results?

legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

Thanks.

Go ahead and make mine Lucko.
legendary
Activity: 966

Thanks.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Hello Lucko,

my 10 boards arrived this day. Thank you.
Don't forget to send me the bitcoin address and how much I should pay.
I'm active in freenodes #bitcoin-de channel for questions.
I've send you my nickname via mail. Send me the wallet address where
I should send the bitcoins by email.

Cheers...

Also received today mines, thanks Lucko,
At this moment i try to put first one at work but resets at 27 GHs and 32 ºC. Bfgminner have restarted board many times but until now without results. Tomorrow i will install remaining boards and see what are the results.

Regards
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
Hello Lucko,

my 10 boards arrived this day. Thank you.
Don't forget to send me the bitcoin address and how much I should pay.
I'm active in freenodes #bitcoin-de channel for questions.
I've send you my nickname via mail. Send me the wallet address where
I should send the bitcoins by email.

Cheers...
Activity: 868
Boards have not yet arrived (tracking says out for delivery)
O I see... I was hoping this will not be a case... But they do report in news about it so it is big...

Mind you, 20 sessions of BFG running on one PC will use up a lot of internet bandwidth and processor.
Just use single one... It works...

Weather is a problem, our road into the village was under 600mm of seawater for about 3 hours around mid day.(the back road is not well known)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lca8q8sl8npbrsh/2013-12-05%2012.44.30.jpg  This was 2 weeks ago and only 300mm deep
The multi BFG is only used as a fix for errant boards, It saves disconnecting the ones that run well.
O I see... I was hoping this will not be a case... But they do report in news about it so it is big...

Mind you, 20 sessions of BFG running on one PC will use up a lot of internet bandwidth and processor.
Just use single one... It works...
How's it going? Do you have our mailing addresses, Lucko? I can't even remember if we did that anymore.
Yes I have...

It is hard to say since I don't know why only in first 20 boards I detected problems... But MrTeal did find a way to make even problematic boards to hash so it might be best to make all boards and see if any needs fix. Next week MrTeal will build phase 2 outside the board to see if that solves the problem...

Soon you will also hear from thus who risk and got boards. Generally you can't use CGminer since it crashes if board crash but BFGminer recovers and when board finish restarting it start using it again... So it is posible to run more boards from single computer. With CG you are limited since if one crashes you need to start it up again and if one crashes you need to restart it again and so on... It is hard to be lucky enough...

So if anyone else would like me to make his boards let me know...

Another quick fix is to have multiple copies of BFGminer running. If a board crashes, just delete it from the miner, then start a new session of BFG and re-capture the board.
Activity: 280
Helperizer
Very cool that this is getting done - would love to get my hands on another Chili!
How's it going? Do you have our mailing addresses, Lucko? I can't even remember if we did that anymore.
Yes I have...

It is hard to say since I don't know why only in first 20 boards I detected problems... But MrTeal did find a way to make even problematic boards to hash so it might be best to make all boards and see if any needs fix. Next week MrTeal will build phase 2 outside the board to see if that solves the problem...

Soon you will also hear from thus who risk and got boards. Generally you can't use CGminer since it crashes if board crash but BFGminer recovers and when board finish restarting it start using it again... So it is posible to run more boards from single computer. With CG you are limited since if one crashes you need to start it up again and if one crashes you need to restart it again and so on... It is hard to be lucky enough...

So if anyone else would like me to make his boards let me know...
Activity: 711
Merit: 532
Activity: 359
I'm just making a list of problems for MrTeal. He asked me to do it. It isn't as bad as I thought it will be... New components might help or I don't know what... I will be sending out all made boards soon. But only first 20 boards did show problems and only 3 big the rest don't... I will take 10 most problematic for me to test on Sad I was hoping to hash with them Sad

Making this list is a bit of a problem since I need to reasembled them and that takes a lot of time...

Hopefully it can be sorted out - nice to see that you & Mr.Teal are working on it.
I'm just making a list of problems for MrTeal. He asked me to do it. It isn't as bad as I thought it will be... New components might help or I don't know what... I will be sending out all made boards soon. But only first 20 boards did show problems and only 3 big the rest don't... I will take 10 most problematic for me to test on Sad I was hoping to hash with them Sad

Making this list is a bit of a problem since I need to reasembled them and that takes a lot of time...
Activity: 476
So what's the news? I thought we had made some progress here.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Maybe the software needs a bigger time delay between the voltage steps, to give the chips and temperature more time to stabilize, before the next step up.
This may also help with the low temperature start up problems some users are reporting. (gentle pre-heat)
The issue I am seeing doesn't really have anything to do with the voltage steps. What is happening is that PWM for the first phase is causing the second phase to turn on prematurely, which is causing a whole host of issues.

Problem with burn-in is that I would need CPU coolers and PSU. This boards is not ready to hash and it is up to 180W. That is about only 50W less then 16 chips Cointamination. So I don't have enough for any kind of long test. I don't think fuses can handle it too(over 10KW). Every board will be test run but that is it...
If you'd like I can give you a version of the firmware that will limit the power to the board. You'll only end up with 30-32GH/s, but the power draw on the 12V rail will be closer to 100-110W.

What??? I really should read MrTeal Chili thread... This pretty much reads as a problem I have...

I have one of mine that has been giving me issues lately, and it sounds very similar to your problem. A little debugging of the VRM to read the logged faults show that it's hitting a current limit fault and the DC/DC is tripping off. It's also a great performer, 16 engines on all 8 chips. The problem was that my cooling was good enough that the temperatures stayed under the limits, and with every engine enabled and ramping up to the full voltage (1.15V) I was pulling more than 160A out of the power supply. It was hashing over 40GH/s, but it would trip the protections on the DC/DC and shut down. Limiting the voltage to 1.1V has dropped the hashrate to 39GH/s, but it also runs stable now.

I'm having similar issues as well. The 2 I got from batch 3 auction will reset constantly. The voltage gets up to 1.16 and then they disable themselves. If by chance the voltage stays below 1.16 all is well but it's a crap shoot. I have heat sinks on the MOSFETs.

EDIT:Forgive but how do I limit the voltage I'm using a self compiled cgminer 3.8.5 (ubuntu) I don't see device management it used to be there.
As of right now there isn't an option to limit voltage. Below is a version of 14e compiled to limit the voltage to 1.1V instead of 1.15V. Give that a try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4rj2k1m9vrj00e/Chili14e1V1.hex

Over the break for the next couple weeks I plan to get some changes to the firmware done to allow limits to be imposed on different variables like frequency setpoint and voltage through command extensions.

BTW- Not super useful for most people since you can't use it while hashing since the mining software has the port open, but the ZlX command (lowercase "L") will return the temperature of all the chips. If you're compiling your own cgminer, you might want to add in a way to read that.

Hope this helps...

Maybe the software needs a bigger time delay between the voltage steps, to give the chips and temperature more time to stabilize, before the next step up.
This may also help with the low temperature start up problems some users are reporting. (gentle pre-heat)
Unfortunately boards were finished at about 4pm. And last chance for shipping was at 5pm so there was no way I could program them in time. Will do that over weekend...

But this is how 60 Chilis look like in a box...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlezhe49soqyuwh/2013-12-27%2014.51.28.jpg

Hello lucko

Nice news.
Can you tell us if plan to put any new modified firmware on this batch or the release used already on first 4 boards?
Also: can expect this boards would have some burn-in during weekend ? (was annonced before for cointamination boards)

Regards
After installation of first firmware you can load firmware over USB. So it is easy to modify...

Problem with burn-in is that I would need CPU coolers and PSU. This boards is not ready to hash and it is up to 180W. That is about only 50W less then 16 chips Cointamination. So I don't have enough for any kind of long test. I don't think fuses can handle it too(over 10KW). Every board will be test run but that is it...

I'm getting mixed results. Some looks to be running without a problem some not... No idea why...

Also MrTeal did replace all components on his board that are used in phase 1 and phase 2. And still same problem... This is puzzling... If I wouldn't have 2 different make of PCB I would say the problem is the PCB but since I have 2... He did modify power supply controls to run a bit different but that drops speed to 27,5 - 28GH...

Looking forward to getting them!
Sorry but did I miss you say you would like to have them as they are... I didn't make yours...
Pages:
Jump to: