Pages:
Author

Topic: BFL board project COINTAMINATION - EU facility - ORDERS OPENED for Chili - page 49. (Read 73054 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
No he is talking about "2 weeks" BFL is using all the time... Or with other words delays...
legendary
Activity: 966
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
I think he is talking about the sample chips they said they would ship out in 2 weeks which they shipped out after about 4 weeks.
erk
Merit: 500
Has anyone here with BFL bulk chip orders have an estimate/update on when they should be getting their chips? I know BFL said '100 days' but they also said '2 weeks'. I 'm just wondering if its worth it to get 100 of their chips + these boards, or upgrade my KNC Saturn...
There is no way they could get a batch of chips in 2weeks, it takes 2months just to make wafers, then they have to be cut up and packaged into chips by another company. 100days sounds reasonable.

Yes but I don't think that "2 weeks" was because of chips... Personally I would not put all eggs in one basket but it is your call... And Saturn might end up being "2 weeks"...
legendary
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
Has anyone here with BFL bulk chip orders have an estimate/update on when they should be getting their chips? I know BFL said '100 days' but they also said '2 weeks'. I 'm just wondering if its worth it to get 100 of their chips + these boards, or upgrade my KNC Saturn...

Upgrade the Saturn.  If you purchase chips now from BFL the earliest they will come will be mid November (optimistic) and then you will still need to have them installed, etc.
Activity: 327
Merit: 250
Well it was never done with this in mind... You also need to know that 8 board unit uses 100+W and 16 200+W... So cooling elements will not be small... And you need to make it rack compatible... And first test that I made with Jala and see how it is put together I would say I was right about the way chip cool it self... And that complicates things even more... It looks like you will need a heatsink below chips as well... But then again it might be Just the case that Jala had heatsink put on really poorly... That would explain 4% HW errors...

But since this is just a test board production can be made to fit...
Activity: 882
Merit: 547
BTC Mining Hardware, Trading and more
If there is interest we have workshop that can do anything... But one-off is not that cheap... We were planing housing but none was interested... But yes we had some ideas but you need enough interest to make it cheap enough...

But if you would like I can get you a quote for your housing... Just tell me what would you like to have...

Hi Lucko
The racking & housing question could almost become a separate topic(there must be lots deep inside the forum)
At the moment I am just looking for ideas, possibly designed around the COINADO concept, to make it a unique appearance.
Some sketches or photos or mock-ups, of forum members ideas, could start this off.
As you say, "one off" is expensive, but something destinctive and cheap could complete the package.

Hey,

dont think that there are so much design possibilities with a Rack case attempt.
Of course if its not a rack based design the unique appearance would be possible.

If you would go the Rack attempt, i wouldnt make it too complicated and use an existing Rack case and adapt it so a few of those miners will fit it, in my experience this is the cheapest way for a multiple miner Rack case.

regards
Activity: 868
If there is interest we have workshop that can do anything... But one-off is not that cheap... We were planing housing but none was interested... But yes we had some ideas but you need enough interest to make it cheap enough...

But if you would like I can get you a quote for your housing... Just tell me what would you like to have...

Hi Lucko
The racking & housing question could almost become a separate topic(there must be lots deep inside the forum)
At the moment I am just looking for ideas, possibly designed around the COINADO concept, to make it a unique appearance.
Some sketches or photos or mock-ups, of forum members ideas, could start this off.
As you say, "one off" is expensive, but something destinctive and cheap could complete the package.

Thanks for the update.  One question- are these the boards being developed for MrTeal or is he working on a separate design?
No this is separate design... His board is using different IC for example
Any idea on the price range for mounting loose your own BFL chips/or those you supply would be with full assembly? Would there be volume discounts for 10+ boards? What is your production capacity if you can get these to work correctly?
You will get discounts for 10+ for sure... It is mounting chips no production that is the problem... I'm sure boards will be ready long before chips. So how fast can we put them on boards without errors. This will be tested soon... But I would guess over 100 per day... If necessary we can get additional help. And if we end up with that many orders we need tu upgrade testing area too...

You can supply your own chips. You might look into changing shipping address with BFL... I did that when I moved so it is possible...
Activity: 327
Any idea on the price range for mounting loose your own BFL chips/or those you supply would be with full assembly? Would there be volume discounts for 10+ boards? What is your production capacity if you can get these to work correctly?
legendary
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
Thanks for the update.  One question- are these the boards being developed for MrTeal or is he working on a separate design?
Activity: 552
Merit: 500
Looking forward to this board and a nice home for my bfl 8 chips.. Not to mention a bit of overclocking Smiley cheers @form Smiley

Activity: 868
Hi Lucko
Looking at how far this project has developed in the last month Cheesy you could well be producing working miners before BFL has completed its back orders.
Does anyone have any novel ideas for racking/mounting, powering and hosting these boards?
Some android devices can host, also Raspberry Pi, PC's etc.
Racking can be anything from children's building kits, to top of the range professional looking racks and housings.
Keith
Yes there is. if I remember correctly they are recommended to be used with this power module... I will ask...

EDIT: I was right... Recommended part which was declared in the module-datasheet.
Activity: 452
Great to see some work moving forward in the BFL chip area, I just have a random question. Is there a specific reason you went for those huge electrolytic capacitors on the back of the PCB instead of some smaller SMD ones?
In Lucko We Trust.
I think this should be In form We Trust... He is doing most of the work... I'm just doing my best to be on top of things and be sure all goes according to plan, informing, answering questions, doing marketing... Not that that is easy but his work is why I have work...
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
A 16 chip board has got to be really HOT.  I have no formal education in this stuff, but given all the issues BFL seems to have, how wise is it to pack so many on a single board?
If it's true and it works that's great.  I mean it will be cheaper.  I ordered 24 chips so I'll get another 8 to get 2x16 out of it.  But I don't want the thing to melt in a week.
Mythbasters have a say "Failure is always a possibility."

Yes it can happen. But not a big chance... How many Singles did that? As far as I know none. And there is not a hi number of GPUs that did that and they are ruining even with higher power then that. And when you look at the numbers of GPUs out there it is clear that this is not something that happens all the time. So if that happens to you you might go and buy Lotto ticket or be afraid of lightning...

EDIT: It will not happen if the board is working normally... Something strange must happen...

In Lucko We Trust.
Activity: 476
It will be ready in time so don't worry... Tests are hours away and then making production boards if all is well... You will be ready to order probably by the end of the month or sooner...

Nice, it's been a good weekend.
Pages:
Jump to: