Pages:
Author

Topic: Big scam in NXT hundreds of BTC stolen with a one post - page 16. (Read 16770 times)

Activity: 153
Merit: 107
Who will recover losses? CoinTropolis team should take care about scam consequencies.
Activity: 312
Merit: 254
I had a bad feeling about that guy from the start.  Most of the NXT people talk it up, but he was screaming how great it is.  Anytime somebody is screaming on these forums I think it is a scam.  But so far all the NXT people have been really honest and generally involved in the tech.  This guy though didn't have anything to do with developing.  So sad that one guy can pump the price so high and then rip people off. 

It was a hacker which toke the control of Jhon's account, wasn't it? That could happen to anyone.... what we should do now is verify the identity when one of the community members asks for this amount of money.
It was a Hacker which have nothing to do with nxt security or the integrity of this guy... Is like one reputable member of btc community get hacked and ask for funds, no one doubt about his good intentios and everyone send money thinking that is the real account owner
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
mining is so 2012-2013
I had a bad feeling about that guy from the start.  Most of the NXT people talk it up, but he was screaming how great it is.  Anytime somebody is screaming on these forums I think it is a scam.  But so far all the NXT people have been really honest and generally involved in the tech.  This guy though didn't have anything to do with developing.  So sad that one guy can pump the price so high and then rip people off. 
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Wow just wow....202 BTC sent to the supposed BTC address.
Activity: 310
Merit: 250
In Crypto I trust.
Just feel that NXT is very dirty.

Lots of other coins have had their controversies.  It's an unregulated environment.
Activity: 815
Merit: 502
Just feel that NXT is very dirty.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
Wow it seems like trust rules above common sense.

I've never understood why people don't just throw 0.05btc wait for coins back and then slowly build up.  One guy threw 20btc at the guy without making any checks.

The scam boxes are all ticked:
He's posting behind a tor
he promises massive riches but no safety net
he didn't use his normal writing style
he's un-contactable except through pm
he's not using his normal bitcoin account... the list goes on.

The great part is they only had to compromise his email account, from that they had his forum details and his twitter account (by asking for a password reset). 
Activity: 756
Merit: 506
I heard one lee guy invested 50 btc into this...... ffs

No oversight on the asset exchange and then investor euphoria - you end up with these stories.  That lee guy gave John 50 BTC but we don't know how much Lee invested into the cointropolis asset or if he had gave prior money to John.

This is all bigger than you all think.  John likely got off with $250K+.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Crypto Knight
I heard one lee guy invested 50 btc into this...... ffs
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
i hope anyone that invests in IPO's learns a lesson..

it wasnt an ipo.. it was/is a very long story

it was called a "unicorn blessing" ? any other terms you wanna make up for the word scam ?

use your brains or don't.. but don't you god damn dare come in the forum and start crying and whining like a little whiny suckholes when you get ripped off
and THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS DAILY ..non fucking stop !
Stupid fucking morons buy into IPO clone coin ponzi schemes then the get ripped off and come in here creating topics in CAPS begging for sympathy.
And sorry but i don't need your little warning topics that so & so and his coin is a scammer.. no shit dumb ass why do think i avoided in from the start ?

wanna gamble with ponzi scheme clone coin ipo scams then stfu when you get burned idiots.. i don't wanna see you crying like a baby in here later Wink
like you guys ALWAYS do  Roll Eyes

edit:
and yeah it's copied and pasted wonder why ?
Activity: 280
Merit: 257
bluemeanie

no, he did recently do some fund raising using the NXT asset exchange.

-bm

Over 1+ million NxT - which a guesstimate is somewhere a bit under $80K or $90K.  Then the 200 BTC on top he just stole.

As I said no one has gone to jail yet for scamming in crypto.  Charlie Shrem is currently in court (unless it already ended) but that was due to being arrested by the DEA / drug enforcement agency.

Mark Karpeles got off with tens of millions.  There are lesser scammers, even going years back, who stole six figures and nothing happened to them - despite all the evidence and incriminating public information

yes if he were to just disappear right now, he would probably have at least 200k usd in btc in his pocket.  He was also recently asking for donations on the forums.

-bm

-bm

Over 1+ million NxT - which a guesstimate is somewhere a bit under $80K or $90K.  Then the 200 BTC on top he just stole.

As I said no one has gone to jail yet for scamming in crypto.  Charlie Shrem is currently in court (unless it already ended) but that was due to being arrested by the DEA / drug enforcement agency.

Mark Karpeles got off with tens of millions.  There are lesser scammers, even going years back, who stole six figures and nothing happened to them - despite all the evidence and incriminating public information
bluemeanie
there are also some significant questions regarding his claims to a deal struck with GoCoin...

could you elaborate? i havnt read anything about this?

he kept announcing over and over again that 'there was going to be a big announcement', and finally announced that GoCoin would be supporting NXT.  As it stands, some community members had been raising some interesting questions as to whether this claim was actually true(or to what extent it was true).  Note also that this hype corresponded to a significant price increase in NXT.

for instance if you search on NXT and GoCoin on Twitter, you don't find any actual announcements from GoCoin https://twitter.com/search?q=GoCoin%20NXT&src=typd , only announcements from NXT people.  Wouldn't GoCoin announce NXT support?

I think the language on the forums do suggest this was a hacker, however I also have to admit these sorts of incidents seem to follow John around.

-bm

was the guy from gocoin not on stage at the expo and mention about adding nxt?

I believe so, but again it seems anything this guy does is surrounded by a million questions.  Why would rickyjames continually raise this?  is he obsessed?

I did check up with some of the claims regarding Feathercoin and the stuff he was doing there was EXACTLY the same things he was doing on the NXT forums.

-bm

What was it then?  Until this story is cleared up, we can assume all the NxT that went into the Cointropolis Asset is gone.  As well as any private investors into Cointropolis.
bluemeanie

-bm
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
bluemeanie
there are also some significant questions regarding his claims to a deal struck with GoCoin...

could you elaborate? i havnt read anything about this?

he kept announcing over and over again that 'there was going to be a big announcement', and finally announced that GoCoin would be supporting NXT.  As it stands, some community members had been raising some interesting questions as to whether this claim was actually true(or to what extent it was true).  Note also that this hype corresponded to a significant price increase in NXT.

for instance if you search on NXT and GoCoin on Twitter, you don't find any actual announcements from GoCoin https://twitter.com/search?q=GoCoin%20NXT&src=typd , only announcements from NXT people.  Wouldn't GoCoin announce NXT support?

I think the language on the forums do suggest this was a hacker, however I also have to admit these sorts of incidents seem to follow John around.

-bm
I don't dismiss hack defenses but the hack defense never looks credible when it is applied to someone lacking in credibility.  If we take BM's word, then John was never a credible person to begin with.   Anyone can hack themselves with TOR and claim someone else did it.  

It vaguely echos Fuserleer from eMunie who recently claimed to had been hacked, but this was a guy who was accused back in February of lying on his linkedin, posting on whitehat-blackhat forums, had a court order against him from paypal and was accused of stealing thousands on other internet websites.

I'm less familiar with this John, as he came into NxT long after I did, but I have a haunch that there was no hack.
legendary
Activity: 999
Merit: 1000
Has it been proven that it was really John? A quick read of the posted thread sounds like he might have been hacked.

thats what i gather from it also. but the truth will be hard found in a situation like this.

Well I mean obviously he was hacked, noone would ever pull off the "slowroll" to build rep for a decent sized heist, #sarcasmoff
bluemeanie
Pages:
Jump to: