Pages:
Author

Topic: Big scam in NXT hundreds of BTC stolen with a one post - page 17. (Read 16748 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Has it been proven that it was really John? A quick read of the posted thread sounds like he might have been hacked.
Activity: 280
Merit: 257
bluemeanie
John (Peter Mranglaviti) was essentially the public leader of NxT, he was the one who represented NxT's booth at several public conferences / expos and seminars and he was the man the public dealt with.  For all intensive purposes, while he may not had been a developer, he was essentially the public face of NxT.  He was the man the public saw at anything NxT and he was the one persuading people to buy it.

this requires clarification.

John 'Justabit' Peter Manglaviti is NOT the public leader of NXT.  He arrived fairly recently and managed to get the community to fund a trip to london where he 'represented' NXT at a conference called PayExpo.  Fact is he openly admits he is neutral to all projects and that he is some kind of promotional mercenary for cryptocoins(his company is called Cointropolis).  Most of the people I knew from the project hardly even knew him or what he was up to.  ASMOF, about a week ago I publicly repudiated him and officially distanced myself(there is a record of this on the NXT forums).  I made it 100% clear that I have nothing to do with this person and I did it at the height of the recent price inflation at my own personal cost.

Some stories had emerged on the forums regarding his involvement with Feathercoin and Peercoin that suggested he was responsible for pumping up the price and then feigned ignorance when the price later collapsed. I personally greatly disliked his style of working(I wasnt the only one) and I demanded that some of the claims made against him be explored properly.

We have not yet determined whether this particular incident was a hacker or not.

-bm
legendary
Activity: 988
Merit: 1108
The statue of limitations for these sort of crimes

That so reminds me of a Seinfeld episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8gfaFqFpI
Activity: 756
Merit: 506
John (Peter Manglaviti) was essentially the public leader of NxT, he was the one who represented NxT's booth at several public conferences / expos and seminars and he was the man the public dealt with.  For all intensive purposes, while he may not had been a developer, he was essentially the public face of NxT.  He was the man the public saw at anything NxT and he was the one persuading people to buy it.

You assume it's just the BTC stolen.  Probably ran off with all the NxT he collected as well.  You assume "John" (Peter Manglaviti) is his real identity.  Linkedin profiles are easily just as faked as Facebook profiles.  The best fake linkedin profiles are those which combine truth with outright lies.

John wouldn't be the first person who thinks he can scam investors and get away with it.  After all, has the Visacoin guy gone to jail yet?  Has anyone actually gone to jail?  Even just one person?

The statue of limitations for these sort of crimes is 7 years or less.  The time to investigate, acquire the evidence, book a court room hearing, et cetera, can take years, that's even IF the police can be bother to actually to issue a warrant.  They generally don't go after 'small fish' like John.  

The only people who have been arrested in crypto currencies has been people like Charlie Shrem and mainly due to drugs / DEA.  I've yet to hear of a crypto scammer who has gone to jail, even with their personal details wide out in the open.

Activity: 278
Merit: 100
See in:
https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/incredible-opportunity!/

CoinTropololis_JustaBit Banned!

"As a result of some of my contacts I have come across an incredible opportunity for the community.

This opportunity will provide more exposure than any alt today, and will rival Bitcoin itself.

The problem is I need BTC to make it happen. I have plenty that I could convert to BTC, but taking this much to an exchange(s) would for sure be a huge dump.

I need 400 BTC and I was hoping that I community members would trade me directly for NXT (off exchange). My reputation alone should be enough to get this done.

For the first 400 BTC only (it is all I need, anything over will be returned), I will give a NXT / BTC 0.000095 exchange rate. So for each 1 BTC you get 10,526 NXT. This is first come first serve, the only request is you don't go dump it at an exchange the second you get it (the karma gods are watching!!!).

I feel I can do this deal because I know this is going to boost the value of NXT exponentially.

To participate send BTC to REMOVED FOR NOW and then PM me (all payouts will happen within a few hours of me confirming the deposit came from you). Only the first 400 BTC will be eligible, any after that I will return to the originating address!

Scammers don't bother sending me a PM trying to get me to send NXT first, with my reputation this deal is BTC first.

Thanks to all!"

Pages:
Jump to: