Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin as a Retirement Account - page 11. (Read 22728 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001
August 19, 2015, 06:47:53 PM
Bitcoin is too unreliable to be treated as retirement investment. Price is too volatile, uncertain future with bitcoin status in some countries, internal bitcoin wars over nodes and so on.
I would not bet that bitcoin will be saving my ass when I will be old. Instead invest in gold, silver, real estate market and other 'real' items.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
August 19, 2015, 02:57:24 PM
I`d throw in some NXT, Monero and DASH aswell into that retirement portfolio.

Btc is good, but NXT and Monero has much more ROI%.

If NXT hits it right, then it can single handedly generate your pension!
By watching your confidence I can risk some amount of my Bitcoin into these projects.

But there is a huge risk that these altcoins will fail like all others and I'll be one of those bagholders.

There is, but we know for sure that the fiat system will fail 100%.

So the money has to go somewhere, fortunately not many places left to go (considering the bail-ins, civil forfeitures, and more) except crypto.

Even if the current altcoins fail somehow (i dont see how) , cryptocurrency as a whole will survive (but not those with the private blockchains, only the decentralized ones)

Bitcoins are not for retirement. Their is no clear future of the bitcoins if some countries ban bitcoin transaction then the price will go down to single digit.

Yea and how exactly are they enforcing it? You can ban breating air too, but its hard to enforce it if 100% of humans will disobey your law.

I think the same with happen with bitcoin too, you cant ban technology.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
August 18, 2015, 10:12:59 PM

The operative word is "trust" - I'd rather manage it myself as my experience has given me very little faith in the various BTC institutions that have been advertised on this very forum. I know that's probably unfair to the proprietor of that trust, but I don't think it's an overly harsh assessment given the charlatans and amateurs I've encountered in the BTC world.

There is an interesting link in that interview to Overstock's CEO and what he envisions the blockchain becoming:

For the first time in 6,000 years of human history we can have peer-to-peer exchange where trust is not a problem anymore. And it’s through the technology that underlies bitcoin. It’s called the block chain. That’s the great innovation. And I see the historical and political ramifications of this invention as—it’s like 6,000 years up to this point and then there’s this. I think it’s going to change everything because we have all these legacy, centralized institutions that are in one way or another that have business models that are involved with saying, "Well, I’ll solve the problem of trust among all you people, but in return for which I expect to get paid."

Instead of the CEO`s envision, I would focus on the now before we get to that stage.

Theres a huge thread to the bitcoin split on mix conflictiing emotions that we all hold with bitcoin, until thats fixed I dont think we can envision these scenarios..
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002
August 18, 2015, 07:07:42 PM
I think despite on peoples doubt with the value.

If most of our transactions for bitcoin is towards gambling I think the gambling industry itself can explode our value if they use it just for gambling purposes.

I only see then to retire, but eventually if I saw a growing # onling gambling sites to adopt it.
Activity: 143
Merit: 10
August 18, 2015, 01:03:21 PM

The operative word is "trust" - I'd rather manage it myself as my experience has given me very little faith in the various BTC institutions that have been advertised on this very forum. I know that's probably unfair to the proprietor of that trust, but I don't think it's an overly harsh assessment given the charlatans and amateurs I've encountered in the BTC world.

There is an interesting link in that interview to Overstock's CEO and what he envisions the blockchain becoming:

For the first time in 6,000 years of human history we can have peer-to-peer exchange where trust is not a problem anymore. And it’s through the technology that underlies bitcoin. It’s called the block chain. That’s the great innovation. And I see the historical and political ramifications of this invention as—it’s like 6,000 years up to this point and then there’s this. I think it’s going to change everything because we have all these legacy, centralized institutions that are in one way or another that have business models that are involved with saying, "Well, I’ll solve the problem of trust among all you people, but in return for which I expect to get paid."
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
August 18, 2015, 02:48:38 AM
im broke and unemployed for 20 years no retirement for me lol

you must be rich or someone else is feeding you, in this case maybe you can take advantage of his inheritance if he want you as a heir

or just try to earn even a single bitcoin, in a far distant future, it may be enough to do a retirement
No he doesn't. Many people are officially unemployed, which means they have no contract and no retirement fund, but they are working and have enough to pay their bills.
Don't immediately label all unemployed and broke people as lazy.

exactly, people judge so much these days. Some people can be deceased, old, demotivated, depressed, whatever. Its easy to assume, very few of us have personally done something to benefit the bitcoin community. I have known so limited people who are doing crypto business and even less who talk about crypto in order for it to get more acceptance and recognition. And then we question others and labelling them lazy, wtf
Activity: 235
Merit: 250
August 15, 2015, 12:58:40 PM
bitcoin as a Retirement Account. Would definitely love to have it. Certain risk is involved as we don't know what's the future of Bitcoin but still can afford to have risk.
Activity: 431
Merit: 261
August 15, 2015, 11:12:16 AM
Here's a U.S.-centric podcast episode about the Bitcoin Investment Trust, which allows people with recognized retirement accounts to speculate on the future price of Bitcoin through a fund that holds Bitcoins (actually, Zapo holds the Bitcoins). Obviously, a good portion of Bitcoiners do not want to put their earnings in a centralized, institutionalized, legacy platform that is completely tracked by the government, and may not survive the next big financial crash... That said, people with lots of money (especially in tax-privileged retirement accounts), who are interested in adding a speculative position in Bitcoin, and have plenty of trust in the system, may find this an intriguing option.

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-bitcoin-game-23-mainstream-investing-with-the-bitcoin-investment-trust
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023
August 14, 2015, 09:33:51 PM

By watching your confidence I can risk some amount of my Bitcoin into these projects.

But there is a huge risk that these altcoins will fail like all others and I'll be one of those bagholders.

So the money has to go somewhere, fortunately not many places left to go (considering the bail-ins, civil forfeitures, and more) except crypto.

Even if the current altcoins fail somehow (i dont see how) , cryptocurrency as a whole will survive (but not those with the private blockchains, only the decentralized ones)

Bitcoins are not for retirement. Their is no clear future of the bitcoins if some countries ban bitcoin transaction then the price will go down to single digit.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
August 14, 2015, 03:51:29 PM

Activity: 584
Merit: 500
August 13, 2015, 04:13:41 PM

you must be rich or someone else is feeding you, in this case maybe you can take advantage of his inheritance if he want you as a heir

or just try to earn even a single bitcoin, in a far distant future, it may be enough to do a retirement
No he doesn't. Many people are officially unemployed, which means they have no contract and no retirement fund, but they are working and have enough to pay their bills.

It's not really labeling "all unemployed and broke people as lazy", since he's talking about 20 years of unemployment. Now he's not 20 yo teenager,
or has some sort of a disability, i don't see how he couldn't find a job for 20 straight years.

Back to the topic tho; as a retirement account, even tho bitcoin is unstable regarding price, it's more than obvious that it has an insane potential,
so i wouldn't scratch it off as an option. Maybe it would be better as a side investment, rather than a life investment, but it's definitely something that
should be considered as an option by everyone.
Activity: 641
Merit: 253
▰▰▰ Global Cryptocurrency Paymen
August 13, 2015, 11:36:30 AM

Activity: 69
August 13, 2015, 05:01:13 AM
Every month, your employer transfers Bitcoins into a time-locked address that can't be transferred out before you reach retirement age.  You have the key to the address.  You can verify the transfer on the blockchain.

No middle-men.  No funny business.  No brokers with pyramid/eyeball shaped logos.  No "oops we went bankrupt and lost your retirement."  No bail-ins.  No raising the age of retirement.

Just Bitcoin.

Nice idea but you are kinda missing the whole point of "retirement", 

which is, a word you use to get idiots to give up their valuables today on promises of getting valuables back far into the future. 

I think most people can retire, but its not the lifestyle they would want which stops them from real retirement.

Like getting a bigger house or a ideal car.

If you take out these things, most people can buy a $30k home in las vegas or something and start being smart money.

A house only costs 30k in Vegas? In my country even for a really cheap and run down basic house you'll probably have to pay around 80k USD. I'd like to save my money as a retirement account or to maybe buy a house with bitcoins but I wouldn't rely on it. It's more speculative optimism but I would certainly have a retirement account in fiat too so both would be good.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
August 13, 2015, 03:25:52 AM
then good thing your here , telling to yourself than no retirement fee because your unemployed is just an excuse to tell yourself to not go out and work ... but thanks to the bitcoin ,you can start working from home if

only you could find the right path into it
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
August 13, 2015, 02:49:20 AM

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 12, 2015, 05:41:04 PM
Every month, your employer transfers Bitcoins into a time-locked address that can't be transferred out before you reach retirement age.  You have the key to the address.  You can verify the transfer on the blockchain.

No middle-men.  No funny business.  No brokers with pyramid/eyeball shaped logos.  No "oops we went bankrupt and lost your retirement."  No bail-ins.  No raising the age of retirement.

Just Bitcoin.

which is, a word you use to get idiots to give up their valuables today on promises of getting valuables back far into the future. 

I think most people can retire, but its not the lifestyle they would want which stops them from real retirement.

Like getting a bigger house or a ideal car.

If you take out these things, most people can buy a $30k home in las vegas or something and start being smart money.
legendary
Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050
Khazad ai-menu!
August 12, 2015, 05:18:07 PM

Just Bitcoin.

August 12, 2015, 05:09:10 PM

being broke is a choice man.

you just have to find something and work on it. To be more detailed, 20 years is a long time for not having work which means you could be launching projects. Esp theres resources like kickstarters out there and end up having your own business.
Activity: 84
August 12, 2015, 04:57:11 PM
August 12, 2015, 04:55:05 PM
I wouldn't keep my savings as bitcoin because nobody knows if there will be any bitcoins in use 10 years later.

10 years later, we may remember bitcoin as a pump&dump scam, who knows?

It would be true similar to a dot com boom.

But things seem different and these VC`s put more of smart money into play based on building a sub community so they are actually building foundation.

Compared to back then when people throwing money for magical growth. Only way I see this still being alive is because its a money transmitter for money laundering and has vital purpose.
Pages:
Jump to: